New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Karl uses the little bit of traffic to wander semi aimlessly around the warehouse. He uses his natural obfuscation talents to stay unnoticed as he looks for an... uncomplicated way to make his entry.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wits+Composure (5d10)[8][3][3][9][5](28)
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It was not hard for Karl to identify the two Ghoul sentries pretending to be occupied in their cigarettes and conversation in front of the fenced off entrance to The Warehouse, nor was it difficult to change direction before they noticed him and begin working his way around the perimeter of the open space. Karl was almost around the back of the building when he found an area of the chain linked fence that had been ripped away from its post, and with a little work, he was able to crawl his way through to the other side.

Karl was now at the back of the factory. There was a giant metal double door, rusted over and locked by thick chains which ran across the two heavy slabs of metal. There was an old rusted fire escape near the corner of the building that looked potentially treacherous. Dark windows loomed too high overhead to reach simply by jumping, their panes covered in decades of grime, and one shattered and left in jagged ruins.

Karl's heightened senses allowed him to pick up the sound of multiple muffled voices from within, but it was distant and near impossible to determine how many people or who was in there.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2017-11-05 at 08:34 AM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl perks up, now this was getting interesting. He looks around for anything he can use to assist him in getting up there. He'd go for something as simple as a bucket and a rock if some promising outcropping is available.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl looks around. While there are no buckets or pieces of debris that he could use to make a platform, there are a number of bricks and stone slabs.

Karl might be able to stack them to get a boost, but it would probably be an unsteady surface, and he would have to move quickly.

Show
    If Karl plans to stack debris to get a boost and jump for the fire escape ladder, he will need a Dex + Athletics + Celerity roll -1 for difficulty. He will also need at least 3 successes to do it silently.

Estella drove out into the Southbeach area, watching as the apartment buildings become more commercial, spread out and taller, like a bad attempt to impersonate New York City. The night is still relatively young, but the streets are bad here, and there are few Kine out and about. Those who do brave the street have their hoods up, heads down, and a hustle in their steps.

The fog is bad now too, making visibility poor as Estella drives, despite the many street lights. Nova's got a a three story brick building, on a surprisingly big lot of land, though the front lawn has gone to **** and is littered with bottles and bricks and other debris.

Estella parks her car as close to the compound as she can, suddenly aware of her vulnerability on a night like tonight; even her heightened senses cannot protect her in a fog like this.

There is loud rap coming from the compound, as glaring as the bright lights coming from every window. Sitting out on the stoop in front of the building are two Ghouls, both dark skinned though of indeterminate ethnicity. One is young, maybe in his teens, and rail thin with pushed out cheekbones and a mess of curly blown out hair. He has a denim vest on exposing his tight chest and abs, and a pair of sweat pants on. The other has on a grey hoodie and jeans. The two are red eyed, passing a joint back and forth that Estella can smell from across the lot.

As Estella starts to approach, their conversation stops. The skin one pushes the lip of his vest back so that Estella can see the butt of a pistol sticking out from his sweat pants. The other looks angrily at her, and half shouts, "Yo, what you want?"

Anna arrives at The Lost Church. It was an odd complex that had been built, and rebuilt and added onto in the Mission District. It was part old time wooden structure, part modern cement and plaster and part post-modern glass and plastics. It stuck out like a sore thumb in a sea of classic industrial complexes and small store fronts.

There was some Kine performance going on in the Theater. It was not the one night of the month where Elysium was held at The Lost Church, perhaps making it a safer, more private location for a meeting.

Anna had come early, having little else to accomplish after the Hospital and being told she would not be joining Estella, and so she had wandered around the area, poking her head into local bars and walking the street block perimeter of the joint.

When Screech did arrive, he was marked first by the smell. Though it was not an exact comparison, Screech had the aroma of cooked Durian. He wore a ragged black rain coat with the hood pulled up over his pumpkin like face.

Screech had dark little round eyes with almost no sclera to them, and a long gash like mouth that was too wide for his face, revealing rows of perfectly white and straight teeth; except for the fangs. His face was flush with color, almost a mottled pink, and his nose was pushed up, like that of a bat's. Screech grinned a wide wide grin at Anna as he approached, perhaps unaware of how monsterous it made him look.

Such appearances were common place amongst the Nosferatu, and while it would likely send any mortal screaming (and how was he preventing that by the way), but it was something Anna had become familiar with.

"Howdy", Screech said warmly in a high pitched raspy voice that matched his namesake. "Anna, right?'. He removed a grimy hand with short fingers from his jacket pocket and offered it to Anna to shake.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

I should never have agreed to this... This investigation has been nothing so far, but a large pain in my derričre...

Estella hangs her umbrella on her elbow, the reassuring weight of it calming her somewhat.

As she is, well, would you call that a greeting? No, probably not. As Estella was accosted as she neared the entrance, she spoke softly, I have a meeting with Nova at ten o'clock. If you would show me to her, I would be ever so grateful.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Anna

“Yes, that’s right,” Anna replied, shaking Screech’s hand, “hope all is well.”

“Are you thirsty, or shall we find somewhere to talk?”

Spoiler
    Show
    cooked durian? That’s oddly specific.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl mutters to himself, "Hmm, this is not getting me anywhere. I can't believe I'm actually wishing for an old fashioned grappling hook."

Giving up on the idea of getting in there for the moment, Karl contents himself with gathering information on those who seem to be within. Getting pictures of the ghouls on guard and anyone else he can get a shot on, more of any vehicles that likely belong to the warehouse's occupants, and otherwise observing what he can. He'll wait for a good while, seeing if they eventually pack up and leave.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Ghoul in the hoody let out a loud chuckle at Estella's announcement. The laugh was met with a glare from the bony faced Ghoul, stopping him instantly. Skinny asks, "You Estella?", as if in confirmation. He then nods to the thicker Ghoul who begins texting.

A window opens up from above. Estella could smell blood wafting out from the open window, stronger than the smell of tobacco and liquor. A face appeared silhouetted by the window's light. It was a woman, with long dark curls framing a dark face. Not a woman, a Kindred with a Beast as ferocious as her face was cold, as her skin was dark. She had a red bandanna tying her mane back from her face.

Several other windows opened and obscene faces peered out, pointing shotguns and pistols and rifles.

The woman vampire glared down at Estella with eyes like burned out coals. "So," she said in a voice heavily laden in Latina accent, "I see you made it. What do you want?" The question is unsympathetic, almost scientific in its probing.

Spoiler: OOC:TC
    Show
    Yes, but the smell and flavor is quiet specific. ;)

Screech shakes Anna's hand warmly, though both limbs are cold as ice. His wide slit of a mouth is spread in a ruby toothy smile. "I'm not hungry", he says curtly, shrugging. He peers up at the Lost Church and says, "If you want we can go for a walk. I take it I have something you are interested in?"

Screech shoves both hands into his pockets and says, "I usually know what my customers are looking before so that I can have a sample ready". The grin does not leave his awful face, Screech's ruddy face a wormy pink in the foggy night.

Out of frustration Karl began sidling around the side of the building, and flash off, took a few forced pictures of the Ghouls with his phone. Sneaking back out from under the fence, he went around the property and out to the front.

Casually, Karl walked his way back up and down the street, stopping at times to pretend to take a text and jot down the license plates he found.

It was not too long before Karl came across the car he had seen in The Summers' driveway.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2017-11-06 at 08:12 PM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Anna swallowed her distaste.

“Sure,” she said, leading the way.

“I’m looking for someone,” she said, “a young Ordo member.”

She briefly gave Mobius’ physical description.

“Any idea where he might be, who he might be with?” she asked.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

So. This is how it is, then.

I came to speak with you about a sensitive matter. I would speak to you. Alone.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl looks about, if he can do so unobserved, he'll attempt to get into the car and poke through its contents a bit.

Show
    Presuming Dex+Larceny for this
    (4d10)[1][2][10][7](20)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Show
    ten again
    (4d10)[9][1][7][3](20)

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Screech did not even flinch at Anna's description, giving no hint of acknowledgement. Looking disappointed or perhaps bored, he responds, "So you aren't looking for an order?". He shrugs, following Anna's lead.

"I assume you are referring to the missing boy Mobius?" his voice cracking in about three different pitches, each that would shatter glass, "I'm not sure I have any information for you, and even if I did, it wouldn't be free."

Nova glares down at Estella for a long moment. She can feel the many eyes, and the gaping gun barrels pointed at her from all across the building. "I will be right down", Nova said coldly.

Nova's window closed, though no one else moved. The two Ghouls stayed seated on the stoop, equally on guard, only to move out of the way as the door opened about two minutes later. Estella's cell phone buzzed furiously, a series of texts from the feeling.

Nova was standing behind her two Ghouls, dressed in a stained white tank and dark green cargo pants. Her hands were on her hips, and her two Ghouls rose, glaring at Estella like leashed angry pitbulls. "Marcus will come with me", Nova said stepping forward while resting ha hand on the shoulder of the gaunt one, "that is non-negotiable little soft fangs."

Karl was fortunate to have his equipment with him, and that it was an old mechanical car lock. He hammered his wooden wedge behind the car window, just wide enough to slip through his thin plastic lock pick. It was a noose like apparatus that would let him grab the plastic lock knob and pull it up into the open position.

Karl had just slipped the noose into place and was beginning to pull up, when one of the two guards began sauntering over. "Hey, what the hell do you think you are doing", he yelled. The Ghoul was tall and pale, all rope like muscles and neck tattoos under a black jacket. The man was readying a weapon from under the jacket.

Karl's anger flared in his chest. The evening's embarrassment screaming in his chest and whispering in his ears to crush and tear the approaching threat.

Show
    Attacking the guard, while obviously a bad move would resolve either the Tempted or the Bestial condition that I could have sworn I told you he gained by Fleeing the lashing out (though I did describe it IC). My bad about that. Regardless, Karl has both conditions, and either could be resolved with violence in a way.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Estella weighs her options. She can leave, but if she does, she will have nothing to offer her partners.

She can be flippant, and likely meet her end this night. Or, she can accept this turn of events and hope to escape with her dignity more or less intact.

Everything is negotiable. Estella responds casually. If one only knows the price. Fine.

Estella pauses for a moment, waiting for Nova to come closer. When it seems the vampire will come no closer, Estella begins.

I have been having, intrusions, in my territory. I have been tracking down these poachers, but they seem to be vanishing. Into thin air. Poof. she says, opening her hand in a puff of smoke gesture.

Ordinarily, I would not mind, more food for me, oui? But a thought occurred to me. When the younglings are gone, they may come after more experienced Kine next. And we are not all equipped to deal with something that can poach us, no?
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2017-11-07 at 10:39 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

“Sorry to disappoint, though if you’re able to conjure him up that might qualify as an order,” she replied.

“Nothing’s free. Why not let me know what kind of price we’re talking about while you think about whether you can recall anything,” she said.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Nova's eyebrow rises in question, and she opens her mouth to speak before seeming to stifle herself. "And you did not turn to your own Covenant? Here, walk with me", Nova leads Estella (whose phone continues to buzz) away from the house, eyeing the Daeva suspiciously. Her dog Marcus follows behind. He makes no move to draw his weapon, but Estella can feel his concentration on her like a stake pressed against her ribs.

Show
    @Lentrax: So that was a big lie from Estella, lets get a manipulation + Subterfuge roll please. (Yes I also posted this request in the OOC thread)

************************************************** ********************************************

"I suppose a promised boon of some sort would be appropriate... though I'm not sure I have much to offer." The ear to ear grin does not leave Screech's face. He seems greedy at the thought of the boon, like a someone who is bad at haggling.

Show
    So while Boons are a system of trade used in VtM, I like the idea of a Vampire honor system towards favors, since money is so easy to come by, and blood can be hard to trade in. I think it is a logical social development for the Kindred to have. If you want more information on Boons, I would be happy to provide in the OOC section.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2017-11-09 at 02:08 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Knowing Nova has called her on her lie, Estella steps away with her.

Nova. I do not know what the f*** is going on in this city right now, but I do know that neonates truly are vanishing. And while this does not directly concern me, yet, I do have an... obligation to try and resolve this matter.

Spoiler: Character box:
    Show

Humanity: 6
    Willpower: 4
    Health: 8
    Vitae: 7
    Beats/Exp: 3
    Tilts/Conditions: Wanton
    Spoiler: Aspirations
    Show
    Short-term: Create a group of Ghouls to provide better daytime tasks and security.

Mid term: Learn the Cacophony of San Francisco.

Long term: Become the Vanpire who controls the Invictus Primogen.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2017-11-09 at 02:55 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Estella is immediately cut off at the end of her response by Nova's mirthful laughter. When she finally stifles, there is a predatory smile on her face. "Who sent you, little fang;" she says stepping closer to Estella, so that the Invictus is trapped between Nova and her Ghoul, "and this time, why don't you try not lying to me?"

Estella can feel her hackles rising. She is trapped between a monster and its ally, with little room for escape. Her car seemed so far away; would it be possible to run there in time???
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

If she had been able, Estella would be sweating now. The only thing she could think to do was tell a half-truth. My coming to you about this matter was the suggestion of Karl Bauer. You know him, the private detective?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    Well, way to put a target on your partner's head

Nova took a step closer to Estella. She was taller than Estella, and used a hand which was now sporting long razor sharp claws (when did that happen), to tilt the Daeva's gaze upwards. Estella was smart enough not to allow for eye contact, her eyes focusing instead on the Gangrel's sharp and elongated fangs, while her sharp and elongated nails stabbed at the flesh of her cheek, threatening to break the tender skin. "The Invictus Nazi", Nova asked with cautious curiosity, "and he sent you here for what misguided reason?"

Estella could not tell if the question was rhetorical, but she was not given a chance to answer as Nova continued, "Perhaps it was rather foolish of you to come here all alone expecting me to help you, no?" The last word was said in an accent meant to mock Estella's speech habits. The talons fastened their grip just slightly on Estella's face, and a few sharp points were now breaking through the outer layer of skin, though Estella refused to wince. "But I will give you a chance. You would not have come here without some proposition. I will let you ask, and based on your question, perhaps I won't send you back to your Fuhrer with a stake in your chest."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope this is not getting too intense. Promise it won't go "too" bad, though can't promise it won't go... bad.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Nazi? He... Merde... Estella had heard rumors about Karl and his age. But to be so confronted about it... Estella remembered her grandmother, a survivor of Auschwitz, telling of what horses they faced there.

Nova’s talons in her face though, brought Estella back to the here and now. The claws sent a shiver down her spine. And not just from the fear of meeting final death. A tingle of sadistic pleasure wound its way through the core of her being at the sweet sensation of the pain. That, more than anything, let her find enough voice to continue.

I am looking for a boy. Mobius. He vanished not long ago. Though if what you say about Karl is true, then I have no reason to help him either. Give me what information you will, and I will work against Karl. Give me nothing, and I still work against him.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl returned to the back alley with his climbing rope stuffed into a duffel bag so as not to be too conspicuous. It would not be too hard to wrap the rope around something and climb up, though Karl did not consider himself to be the "Indiana Jones" type.

Show
    So I think a Dex + Athletics roll could be used to appropriately set up the climbing rope, and I'll give you a -1 to the roll if you are trying to do it quietly. I won't make you roll to climb the rope, since it is something most fit individuals should be capable of doing... unless you disagree with this.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl steps out towards the building, looking for some convenient protuberance. Tying a small rock as a counterweight, he swings it around overhead. A little awkwardly, as the last time he'd done something like this he was still alive.

Giving the weighted end of the rope some slack, he lets it drop down to the ground. Karl removes the rock and takes up both ends of the rope. After testing said rope with his weight, he feeds the ends through his belt for the extra friction. With one last look around to make sure he is not being observed, he ties one end of the rope around his bag of tools and then starts hauling himself upwards. Once at the top, presuming no issues, he'll haul the bag up after him and reassess.

Show
    trying to keep it quiet, so -1, crossing fingers
    (2d10)[8][4](12)
    Whew, barely, odds weren't with me on that one. And yes, climbing a rope like this does seem like a basic capability for a physically fit individual.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-11-09 at 06:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Karl is able to shoot the rope's weight over the top of the fire escape railing with enough tether that gravity swings it back and around the railing bar without the weight striking the metal of the walk way. He watches as the weights pins a few times, tests the weight, and then begins shimmying up.

Karl had been turned a bit past his prime, but he had been a soldier in one of the world's most elite armies. Even if the average American was a fat slob, the climb was something he could proudly conquer without challenge. It was just a few short minutes of going hand over hand, before he gripped the railing, and with both hands hoisted himself over and onto the fire escape's walkway.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Anna nodded.

“What did you have in mind?” she asked.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Slowly, carefully, Karl takes stock of his surroundings, and proceeds to the nearest likely spot for observation of the warehouse's interior.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Screech brought a stubby had with wormy fingers to his face, and stroked at a non-existent beard as if in deep contemplation. His eyes narrowed for a second before responding. "I think I could tell you some information about where he was hiding out a while back. Perhaps a promised Minor Boon could be banked?" There is a mild shakiness to his high pitched voice, perhaps anxiety, though it is hard to stay.

************************************************** *************************************

After making sure he was not being watched, Karl crossed the fire escape to where it terminated at a window, and a steep flight of stairs that led up to the next floor. The window was covered in a thick layer of grime which made it somewhat difficult to see inside. After wiping the window down, and receiving a thick smudge of oil and dust, it was possible to partly see inside the warehouse.

From Karl's estimation, he was on the second floor fire escape. There was a wrap around second floor platform on the other side of the window. Far on the other side of the building, Karl could make out a group of people gathered around what looked like a makeshift stage, with a man in dark robes standing on it. Karl was way too far to make out the faces, or even genders of any of the crowd members; there were perhaps 10-15 people, and the robed individual's back was turned to Karl.

************************************************** **************************************

Nova released her grip on Estella, removing pointed talons from soft flesh. Her eyebrow remained raised, but the stern inhuman coldness had been replaced by a mischievous grin. She turned to her Ghoul Marcus, and gave him a smiling nod before turning to Estella and saying, "Then I suppose it is in my best interest not to tell you anything, now is it Little Fang?" She eyed Estella warmly, perhaps meeting some invitation that Estella had put out through body language. "But tell me", she said, tapping those long sharp nails against her jeans, "what in the world did this Karl think I would know about your missing boy Mobius?"
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2017-11-10 at 10:12 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl takes out his camera, zooms in, and starts taking shots of the crowd from his current position. He'll look for the kid or anyone else he recognizes.

When the usefulness of his current vantage is exhausted, he'll look for the safest path to another vantage point that should provide more information. He's particularly interested in finding out who is the ringleader of this particular circus.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-11-10 at 10:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

A soft moan escapes Estella's lips when the claws are removed from her flesh. Whether in relief or longing, though, was hard to tell. She resists the temptation to run her fingers over the wounds and examine them. And something else changes in Estella's posture. The difference is subtle, but she seems somehow, less proud. More vulnerable. Is it in the way her eyes seem to be more downcast? Is it a slight sag in her shoulders?

About the boy? I don’t know. About the other missing younglings, perhaps something. And also, perhaps, to lead me astray. Though I have no doubt he means to see his investigation through, he seems to have little regard for anyone else tied up in the affair.

Estella watches the tapping claws. She can't help it. She feels the echo of the pain in her mind. And she wants more of it. Her tongue darts out of her mouth, but of course, the gesture, which would have wet a set of cracked lips on a mortal, only rubs dry, dead muscle over dry, dead skin.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

“How far back is a while?” Anna asked, “and why would he be hiding over something so minor?”

Spoiler
    Show
    baiting screech into slipping something he shouldn’t.

Also, how difficult would it be for Anna to acquire a high quality Jain? One which would offer a mechanical benefit?
    TC for short