New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC) San Francisco by Night: A Requiem in Fog

Unaware of Karl, Anna arrives before Estella, greeting her fellow Dragon. Julian's face is lit partly by the lamp above, and partly by the flame of a flip lighter that he has going a few inches from his face. Dark shadows spread over under his dark brow, highlighting slender cheek bones and a strong jaw. His eyes assess Anna though his face stays stuck forward, as if he were trying to study her discretely, or perhaps as if he had forgotten how humans interact.

Julian smiles at Anna, a gesture she was unsure he was capable of, though perhaps it is a little forced. His voice is soft, though distant as he says, "Good evening Anna Wu, long time no see". He shuts the cap to the lighter with a click, and quickly stuffs it in his pocket, as if suddenly aware of the possible faux pas. He smiles at Anna's question and responds, "No, it was not me. I simply represent the will of our Covenant, and act to serve it's best interests."

Estella arrives next, the two vampires staring cautiously as she approaches. The man she had seen standing from afar was Julian, he was a high ranked member of The Ordo Dracul, a Covenant of weirdos and recluses who were about as politically or socially relevant as long division at an orgy. Estella's question is similar to Annas, and in response Julian says, "Hello, my name is Julian. I represent a party who hopes to enlist your services. However, I will refrain from discussing the details any further till our last invitee arrives." The vampire does not offer a hand to shake or even a welcoming wave. Like Anna, he seems to be studying Estella like a subject under a microscope, sizing her up and dissecting her with his eyes.

He then cracks his knuckles and says to the two vampires, "Though I suppose if he does not show up soon we may as well just begin"

************************************************** ****************************************

The man outside the park is definitely a member of The Ordo Dracul, though not a Kindred that Karl had ever interacted with. But then Karl recognized two female vampires, both more familiar to him. The first to arrive was also a member of The Ordo Dracul. He had started a file on her, though limited in scope to little more than the fact that she was a Mekhet named Anna Wu, who came from China.

The second to arrive was a Kindred that Karl was far more familiar with; Estella de Chevalier. She was a rising member of the Invictus, as cunning as she was beautiful.

The three seemed to be talking, but Karl was too far away to hear or read their lips. The male vampire, Julian, seemed rather pensive.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Enough, the odds of this matter being something to avoid keep diminishing, time to find out what this man has to say. Pocketing the monocular, he rapidly descend to street level, and approaches along the street, dropping his concealment when a few dozen paces off and approaching openly.

He simply states, "This seems an unlikely gathering, are there to be any more?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"Too bad, I know what boon I'd ask from you," Anna replied with a small smile.

She glanced up as another Kindred approached.

"Hey, I know you... from the club last month, temple I think?" she said by way of greeting Estella.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps, Estella begins. But sadly, when you meet so many, and for so few far too short a time, it is hard to remember.

She smiles slightly, careful not to bare her teeth.

Estella du Chevalier. Pleasure to meet you.

When Julian introduces himself, Estella gives him a cordial incline of her head.

A pleasure to meet you as well, to be sure.

When Karl makes his presence known, Estella responds in the same simple manner.

Not if you were the last of us we were waiting on.

She shifts her grip on her umbrella, as she turns to Julian and tilts her head in an unspoken question.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Julian seems to be oblivious to Anna's implication, and turns his attention to the last approaching figure. Karl appears through the midnight fog, breaking shadows to stand under the street light with the three others.

Before Julian begins, there is a moment of passing tension as each monster recognizes the threat of the other, when each vampire's face seems steeped in shadow and to reveal the strange beast that animates the should be rotten corpse. But the moment passes when Julian responds, "No, we are all here now. Thank you for coming." He regards each figure individually, his voice still removed from any emotion. "We have invited the three of you here because of your investigative skills. Each of you is known in this city for your snooping and stalking ability, and these skills are needed by the party I represent tonight." The Ancilla takes a deep breath, a completely impractical gesture, but one which reveals some trace of the man's former life. He reaches his hands into his pockets and continues, "Within the last few months there have been a rising number of fledgling and neonate disappearances. While rumors have been abound for years about various elders, VII, and other boogymen, we have no good explanation. I and other members of my Order believe this necessitates further research."

Julian removes a folded picture from his pocket, a crisp paper clipping in black and white. He holds it up for all to see. "This is Mobius, born Kyle Marks", Julian says. The face depicts a frowning teenager. In the picture he seems to be confused both of what face he is trying to make, and whether he is evoking the fashion of the Punk Rocker, Goth, or Emo subcultures. His hair is buzzed in an outdated mushroom cut, his eyes circled with clownish liner, and piercings decorate his face like he got in a fight with a dying porcupine. "Mobius was a neonate barely in the Ordo Dracul for less than a few months. He went missing earlier this week. We hope that by identifying the cause of his disappearance, we can prevent further occurrences in the future."

Julian folds up the paper and replaces it in his leather jacket. Again, he pauses to appraise the three around him. "If you are willing to assist, and to respect a number of stipulations, The Ordo Dracul would be indebted to your expertise in the investigation."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Could I get everyone's updated character boxes (with blood points and beats) in their next posts please?
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2017-08-18 at 06:57 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl considers for a moment, His patrons would not likely care about a few missing young kindred, but it would be prudent to ensure other interests were not being compromised. A major debt from the Order of Dracul could prove quite useful as well. He states, "I don't suppose there is a list somewhere of all these missing younglings. The most likely path to solving this would be to determine what, if anything, they have in common."

Spoiler: Character Box
    Show

Humanity: 5
    Willpower: 5
    Health:undamaged
    Beats/Exp:none
    Vitae: 6
    Tilts/Conditions:none
    Aspirations:
    1. Obtain leverage on a powerful individual that otherwise had been a threat
    1a. Investigate them for past mistakes and current weaknesses
    1b. If investigation turns up nothing, stage an incident.
    2. Find a fellow vampire that can be closely allied with to Karl's benefit and with minimal risk.
    2a. Locate a suitable individual with compatible personality and ambitions
    2b. Check into their nature and past to be certain.
    2c. approach vampire with proposal.
    3. Karl has living descendants he is not aware of. A son currently in a nursing home. Two grandchildren, and multiple great grandchildren. Discover their existence in an unpleasant fashion.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-08-18 at 10:43 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

From within a pocket Julian removes a key ring with three red flash drives on it. "There is information on these stubs that have been uploaded to help with the investigation", he says matter o' factly, "I don't know what is on them, but should you agree to assist with the investigation, the drive is yours."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

Anna's expression grew more serious at the mention of missing Kindred. The implications were dire, doubly so for herself as she was barely considered more than a fledgeling herself.

"What are the stipulations, Julian?" she asked.

Character Box:
    Spoiler
    Show

Vitae: 10
    Humanity: 5
    Willpower: 6
    Health: 8
    Beats/Exp: 1/0
    Tilts/Conditions: None
    Aspirations:
    1. Gain safety and security.
    1a. Develop a reliable and low-risk source of vitae.
    1b. Gain trustworthy help during the day (ghoul, staff, etc).
    1c. Create a safe haven for resting during the day
    1d. Create a safehouse which can be fled to in times of trouble.
    2. End organized crime in the city.
    2a. Eliminate Kindred reliance on organized crime in the city
    2a(i). Discover the various Kindred needs which are filled by organized crime in the city and devise alternative methods by which they can be met.
    2a(ii). Identify Kindred who need to be swayed in order to implement said alternative methods, and sway them
    2b. Identify members of organized crime in the city
    2c. Identify allies (among both Kine and Kindred) who share the same goal
    3. Meta: I want my character to suffer a loss of some kind, be forced to deal with the repercussions (physical, emotional), and emerge stronger (but potentially not unscathed) after some kind of resolution.
    3. (alternate) Ensure the safety of younger cousin Katie
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2017-08-19 at 09:13 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    Ignoring the misspelled name ...

"First, that this investigation is kept secret and that no mention will be made of who directed you to undergo this investigation. This includes discussing any findings of the investigation, during or after its proceedings. Second, that all information be reported directly to me. I can be reached via the Pulse, use the contact by which I messaged you. Third, that if Mobius is found, he is brought directly to me."

Julian removes a piece of paper from his pocket with writing in a dark red ink. "This is a blood contract", he says, "By signing this you commit your corpus to these stipulations, and breaking of the contract will lead to unsavory consequences. If you agree to aid in the investigation, I will need you to mark it." The paper adds little to what Julian had already said. At the bottom it is marked in red wax with the symbol of The Ordo Dracul. Julian removes a pocket knife and offers it to the three vampires. "Prick your finger and mark the paper in blood." His eyes penetrate through the three potential investigators, possibly daring them to sign, possibly scrutinizing each one for flaws.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Estella listens carefully, and as Julian explains his stipulations, Estella's mind begins flashing through some old law classes she had taken, all those years ago. Something about the conditions was nagging at her, a splinter in her mind.

I beg your pardon sir, she begins, as Julian holds out the contract and the knife.

But perhaps you would give us a few moments to confer amongst ourselves before deciding to accept?

Spoiler: Character box:
    Show

Humanity: 6
    Willpower: 5
    Health: 8
    Vitae: 9
    Beats/Exp: 1/0
    Tilts/Conditions: N/A
    Spoiler: Aspirations
    Show
    Short-term: Create a group of Ghouls to provide better daytime tasks and security.

Mid term: Learn the Cacophony of San Francisco.

Long term: Become the Vanpire who controls the Invictus Primogen.

Last edited by Lentrax; 2017-08-19 at 08:32 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Estella's question spreads a grin across Julian's face. "Of course", he says, "only a fool does not weigh her options. Take your time." With one hand he closes the pocket knife, and brings the contract back down by his side. However, Julian makes no move to leave the three.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl doesn't need time to confer, stating, "I have not lived as long as I have by blindly agreeing to keep secrets from my superiors. I could agree to keep it hidden from the rank and file, I would be inclined to do so anyways. I might, given particular reason, be convinced not to volunteer the information to anyone at all. But if asked by senior members of Invictus, the prince or his council, I will inform them of what I know without restraint. My loyalty in this regard is a treasured status."

Show
    Hope this isn't a complete dealbreaker, but this is a matter of survival for him, he's made enemies in his business. He is protected from them in large part because he is useful and reliable. If that ends...
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-08-19 at 09:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The smirk vanishes from Julian's face, again replaced with a mask of impassivity. He says, "I did not write this contract, nor do I have the powers to amend it. Unfortunately, a major concern is that an Elder of the city has reached a point in their Requiem where Diablere," and this last word is said with bitter bile, "is the only option. Now I am sure you can follow this line of thought, but many of the Elders in this city are members of your Covenant. For the protection of all the Kindred in the city, it is best that whomever this is remains unaware till all the evidence can be organized and brought against them. Though it is not The Ordo's habit to become entangled in the politics of this city, if necessary we will. No one is asking you to lie to your superiors, but simply not to run your mouth about what you are doing."

Julian's eyes burrow into Karl, though neither is unwise enough to allow eye contact, "If you wish to walk away now, that is your prerogative, but suffice to say regardless of whether or not you decide to assist, it would be in the interest of your survival to keep quiet. The Invictus has been known to shoot the messenger, so to speak, and the coils of The Ordo run deep in this city." He raises an eyebrow at Karl, then turns to the others, as if to say, 'the same goes for you'.

Show
    Understand where Karl is coming from, but I don't think anyone would hire him without a discretionary clause, that's part of most investigative work.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2017-08-19 at 09:23 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I thought as much, I have no interest in inciting the wrath of the Ordo, even if that were not the case, this matter would not be one for public dissemination." He indicates the contract, "I will need to review the specific terminology of that document."

Show
    Checking the fine print. In particular looking both for open ended restrictions that could be problematic, and loopholes around the same. Int+Academics check? Or perhaps politics?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Anna read through the document. Assuming she finds nothing scurrilous:

"I'll do it," she said.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

So? Estella asks Karl.

Anything untoward or disturbing in there?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Julian offers the contract over to Karl to review. The wording is slightly archaic, reading like something out of Shakespeare, but says little more than what Julian explained. The investigators would be expected to keep their work secret, and would be bound not to disclose their discoveries to parties other than those involved in the investigation and Julian. The investigators would be responsible for reporting all findings to Julian as soon as possible, and that withholding information would be viewed as breaking of the contract. If Mobius is found he is to be kept alive, and to be brought directly to Julian. Interestingly, the contract states that if needed, force can be used to subdue Mobius... a curious clause given the theory behind his disappearance.

The contract also specifies that for completion of the duties detailed, regardless of outcome, the investigators will be guaranteed a major boon to be decided on by the investigators.

The entirety of the contract takes up about five lines of script, and there is space at the bottom of the page, where each Vampire can leave their mark, near the stamped sigil of the The Dragon.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2017-08-20 at 12:28 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ah, a loophole, perhaps. But there are other issues.

Karl replies to Estella, "I am more disturbed by what is not in here than what is. There is no manner of exit, completion, or default clause, not even a time limit on how long we must keep to these terms. Julian, this is no accusation, but I must consider all possibilities. If for instance, should Julian's superiors decide keeping what we discover secret is in the interest of Ordo Dracul, we will be stuck for the rest of our existence keeping that secret, even helping them keep a lid on it by being forced to report on related events. We would be stuck that way even if it means watching our own order be torn to shreds from within."

"In fact, as this is written, it would be an excellent ploy on the part of whomever the guilty party is. Get an outside group of clueless peons to hunt down the evidence so it can be quietly destroyed. Bind them to silence so they can't discuss any findings that point to their employer. Dispose of them as soon as they figure it out."

Show
    Aaand, that should probably give a hint of just how much paranoia it takes to survive over a century in the spy business.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-08-20 at 01:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Julian's eyebrow raises at Karl, and when he begins speaking again, there is measured frustration. "Watching your own order be torn apart from within? It seems to me that has been going on for centuries, but somehow the Invictus still survives." A delicate looking hand wipes back a lock of brown hair, and from behind his pink lips it is clear that his fangs are now showing. "Let us suppose that it is an Invictus Elder's unchecked feeding habit that is the cause for all this... not that I am suggesting such a thing to be true, but they are then fracturing one of our cit'ys traditions and are the greatest threat to our society tonight. Such an individual would necessitate justice for the very preservation of the San Francisco Kindred." The Ancilla vampires around him can feel the pressure of Julian's monstrous presence threatening to take over, like a hungry pitbull whose cage door is just about to open.

By now several veins have begun to bulge on Julian's neck and forehead, and it takes him several moments of composing himself before the two long needles slide back into their mortal position. "Mr. Schulz, as I believe you were once called, the design of this contract was not meant to trap you or your colleagues. The non-disclosure construct was meant as a way to guarantee that no foolish decisions were made until enough evidence could be gathered and a suitable solution could be decided on by my superiors, while also protecting The Ordo for initiating this investigation. As I said before, I have not the ability to modify this contract. It is not within my... abilities, so to speak. But if you wish for there to be stipulations which you think would protect you further, it is possible I can have the damn thing rewritten, depending on how reasonable you are willing to be."
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2017-08-20 at 02:49 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl twitches slightly at the mention of his old name. He waits a moment for Julian to calm himself before continuing. "In some respects, it matters little if it was intended as a trap or not. It is a trap, and you do not necessarily need intend harm for this contract to bring harm. That stated, I consider this matter worth looking into, and the lack of that data you hold would seriously hamper my efforts, so I would prefer to find a way to resolve this."

"If a rewrite is possible, I suggest the following changes. There needs to be a provision for if we find it impossible to make our reports. In addition, I respect the need for you and Ordo Dracul to protect itself from backlash. In this respect, I can work with keeping your involvement in the investigation hidden for as long as you deem suitable."

"However, I would like for the other restrictions to end when the first of three things occur. If your superior deems the contract no longer needed, if a year passes since the last major development in the case, or if the most damaging details of the case become public knowledge among kindred in spite of our efforts."

"I also wish to reserve the right to bring a superior into the investigation if I can meet certain prerequisites. These prerequisites would include the case having progressed to the point of being reasonably confident of a suspect's guilt, no notable evidence having been found of said superior being involved, and having no notable reason to suspect the information provided would be misused. As with the rest, I can work with leaving Ordo Dracul out of my report to said superior, though I would suggest it may be more prudent at that point for you to work with them, ensure any responses are coordinated."

"Oh yes, one last thing, though not directly linked to the contract. We will have need of a daywalker. I request that my Ghoul servant Gabriel be brought in, even if only in an appropriately limited capacity. He is discrete, and an effective enough investigator in his own way."

"Would this be workable?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-08-20 at 05:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When Karl finishes, there is a wide grin across his face. He reaches into his pocket, then pauses, as if caught in thought. His attention returns to Karl and the others, and he says, "Those do sound like reasonable stipulations. I will see what can be done about having a new contract written up. Understand that many resources are required to develop such a Blood Contract, and it will be a great tax on my Ordo to write a second. I can make no promises."

His hand returns from his pocket clutching a cellphone. "I will let you talk among yourselves as you had all hoped to do so, and will return shortly", he says before starting off down the block, and bringing the phone to his ear.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl nods, "Its a step." Turning to the others he states, "And you two? If you have any additional concerns this would be the time to air them."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"Why would we need to bring him in by force?" Anna asked, "what if he's alive and fled the country? What if we find Möbius is already ashes, is there still a payment for concluding the investigation into his disappearance?"
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

No. I do believe that what our, a brief pause as Estella chooses the correct word. Colleague has said is more than adequate for my needs.

After Julian steps away, Estella calmly and idly inspects her nails in the streetlight. I only hope that our little legal trivialities do not lessen our rewards for completing this little task.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl responds to Anna, "They're likely thinking of the possibility that this Mobius and the others are being controlled by some means, or would otherwise be unwilling to return for questioning. Perhaps the data being withheld includes reason to assume as much. In any case, we would not be contract bound to chase him to the ends of the earth or reverse the final death. We bring him in if we can."

"For now, I am more interested in the two of you. Anna and Estella, the vigilante and the socialite. Estella, I am Karl Bauer, you probably should know of me, but you seem to have other things on your mind."
    Karl has a somewhat dismissive tone to his voice here. "What would be your reasons for accepting this?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-08-20 at 09:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

I have several reasons why. First, the successful conclusion of this enterprise has the chance of increasing my position in the city. Second, this provides me an opportunity to meet other Kindred in a nonsocial setting. And third, Estella goes on, making a small wave toward the city with her umbrella.

I'm bored. This is an excellent opportunity for me to alleviate that ailment.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Anna Wu

"Aside from the promised boon?" Anna asked, "something is preying on Kindred, young Kindred. I'm a young Kindred, seems it would be in my own best interests to put a stop to it with some help, rather than on my own."

that and Julian asks it of me," she thought.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2017-08-21 at 07:54 AM.
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After a handful of minutes, Julian returned, the cellphone still held close to his ear. "Any last requests before this thing is finalized?", he asks with a hint of frustration.

Show
    Let us assume that the contract is relatively concrete in terms of length of time it is valid, and weekly hours of expectation to keep things moving along, though if there is anything the characters want to bring up, now is the time to do it.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Karl raises an eyebrow at the explanations of his compatriots, but simply says, "interesting"

In response to Julian, he considers for a time before stating, "I might suggest that you run the second draft by us, as it were, before resources are committed to the new contract. But I believe what we discussed will suffice, assuming your superiors agree."

Show
    P.S. I kind of assume Karl would have run across blood contracts at some point in his death, even if only by running into others involved in one. What would he know of how they worked? Particularly in regards to accidental violations?

If for instance Karl attempts to inform someone of this investigation that he thinks is safe to inform, but is not. Would he receive a warning of some sort before the contract triggers whatever nasty effect it has? Would it just go off without warning? Or is it triggered only by intentional breaking of the terms?
    Last edited by Daishain; 2017-08-21 at 02:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Anna

"Nothing from me," Anna replied.

Spoiler
    Show
    assuming from the roll that Anna has already read through and raised issues to the best of her ability.
    TC for short