New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Guardians: Requiem of a Slumbering God (IC)

Ash Arashi
    Level 12 | HP: 77/77 | AC: 20 | Turn attempts 0/10 & 9/10 | Empty Nightstick

"If it was Guardian swag in the first place and they stole it they probably knew we're good enough to get it back and could have put a trap. We didn't exactly have enough time to check if it has any curses or stuff attached, only if it was magical. We were in a hurry. Besides, I just put this into truck, it was Chashne who thought of checking through those." Was it throwing a fellow teammate under the bus metaphorically? Kind of, but if it wasn't for Chashne this girl wouldn't even know anything was opened.

He blinked at Proto's sudden appearance. How did he...

"Oh, hey there Proto."
    Last edited by Yasahiro; 2018-05-29 at 05:20 PM.
    "If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest" - Charles Barkley

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Proto

Proto looks about as positively pleased to be asked a question as he could, which, in his case, isn't much to speak of. Still, he raises his head and replies.

"Happy to oblige.

These are advanced crafting materials.
    Not dangerous
    Definitely precious.
    These are finer.
    Allow for a lot of details, finesse."

He then corrects himself.

"Not dangerous isn't entirely true.
    Not dangerous as they are.
    Inert.
    Lifeless.
    Sufficient knowledge, however...

The elves made wonders.
    Worthy of the gods.
    Using these materials, repairing them becomes possible.
    Most were artistic in nature.
    Iron golems beautiful enough to serve as art objects.
    Just as efficient as the real thing.
    Carousels. Walking towers.

Some of that technology is best left asleep.
    Or under close surveillance.
    Making sure it does.
    That sounds like Guardian work."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Chashne shakes his head, somewhat preoccupied by the girl gripping his torso.

Well, I've seen what I wanted to. You reckon they were after this kind of thing in particular, or just came across this by accident while taking everything they could find?

He gently eases her limbs from around him, and resumes breathing.

Or to put it another way, when they stole all this, were they trying to find something in particular? I mean, yeah, it's all dangerous, but do they have a plan?

He gives her hair a ruffle, and then steps away.

I guess the others are waiting back to the house?

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

The Guardian Truck with the Guardians in front of the Guardian Manor
    Ash and Chash and Proto

The girl gnaws on her pinkie, obviously disappointed by being removed from Chashne's body but not at all dissuaded. "C'mon, Chash, aren't you coming with us to the warehouse? I can sit on your lap." She gives a mischievous grin.

Spoiler: Sense Motive 25 for a hunch
    Show

Given the stuff they took, and the fact there was a rephaim and a golem, it's a good assumption that the cultists knew exactly what they were taking.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2018-05-31 at 05:42 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #425

Proto

"Many hypotheses.
    They found buyers.
    Building cults takes resources.
    They needed something of their own repaired.

The latter is more likely.
    Also more concerning.
    Affirms that they knew what they were taking.

The former is less so.
    Leaves us with more questions.
    Also dangerous.
    Strike a deal with cultists.
    Doing so is the act of madmen."

His eyes then gleam for a time as he raises his head a bit higher.

"Still.
    These materials.
    Fantastic.

This sort of magic.
    Unique.
    Some of the runes scribed.
    Some of the materials used.
    With enough time, a healer's kit could be made.
    Tailored to heal artificial limbs or organs.
    It would probably work where divine magic usually fails."

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash Arashi

He looked at Proto for a moment, thinking of a response.
    "We will deal with things as they go, let's get those to the Guardian warehouse first."

After this he directed his gaze to the girl and Chashne and he got a smile as he thought of something.

"OR... You can just give me the directions to the warehouse and you can go and spend more time with Chashne, maybe go see a movie, go eat something together...?"

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Guardian Truck Outside Guardian Manor
    Ash and Chash. Special Guest Star Proto

"Sounds like the cultists would be the ones you would be selling to. Never trust a deal crazier than you are, and they sound pretty cray, Prots." The nephilim guardian says. She looks between Ash and Chash and gives Ash a wink. "Now, Chashne, I'm sure we can have a good time." She giggles.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Outback Jack Malloy

Jack pauses at the archway to spell himself properly. Girallon's Blessing, should last better than an hour. He creeps in and leans over the pit to get a better look.

"Anyone bring a flashlight?" he whispers.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Oh, definitely, you're definitely right there! says Chashne to the nephelim cheerfully, carefully not mentioning which statement of hers he's referring to. Unfortunately, I need to get back to the house. I've got an idea about what's really going on... Maybe some other time?

10. - Top - End - #430

Proto

"Is assistance still required to guide the goods?
    Heading to the manor after another errand.
    A lot of things left to plan.
    Schemata.
    Tools to maintain."

Unless anyone stops him, Proto heads into The Tower for a second, fetches Timmy V2, attaches his wings and heads towards Luka's house, mostly because she might be concerned or have a practical use for the gear they found.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash Arashi

He let out a sigh and patted the girl on the shoulder.

"And unfortunately you have to go with me. Well, we tried, as he said maybe next time. "

He closed the back of truck after everyone left it and went to his driver seat, starting the truck once the girl gets in.

"If you didn't get his autograph yet I can get one for you later. So I'm Ash, what's your name?"

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Guardian Truck
    Ash

The girl hops in, a little unhappy that her boy toy got away. "Nice ta meetcha, Ash. I'm Nephimiel. Friend's call me Nimi. Thanks for playing wingman for me, shorty. I don't have a lot of friends after my last one went all weird on me." She sighs and gets out her phone. "Alright, you need to take 57th, and hang a right on Alexander Street. Anyway, if you want any favors for helping me our, I'm your girl. That's totes why 'nice guys' do things like you did, right?" She looks right into Ash's eyes with her large, grey eyes, while making a suggestive jerking motion with her hand. There is something strange with this young woman that makes her intentions hard to pin down. Either her sense of irony is so intense that it is bleeding into reality, or she really thinks this is how people interact with each other.

Guardian Manor
    Chashne

Henry, Caerulea, Fierhan, and Tora are awkwardly sitting around the table drinking tea. "Oh hey!" Tora gets up and bounces her way to Chashne. "Hey Chash," she says quietly, placing her hands on his shoulders. "Please tell me you're staying for this stupid tea party. Henry is boring, Fierhan is quiet, and Caerulea literally has no hobbies. I'm going mad trying to make conversation." It looks like a miserable time.

Luka's House
    Proto

The door of Luka's house opens, revealing a disheveled catfolk. Lahala, Luka's doting apprentice. "Oh, it's just you." She slumps and slides dispondently down the door frame, until shes sitting and leaning about at his level. "What do you want, Proto? Does someone need healing?" she asks sullenly.

The Maple Temple, Faerie.
    Marlif and Jack

"Hmm," Edinah tones, as she strokes her chin. She looks past the bars and down at the pit. "I
    ll make a light." She casts a cantrip and makes an orb of light. The pit is barely illuminated. "Yeah, seems kind of deep."

"Indeed, it does," Alex says. "Is this how fairy prisons work?

"A lot of fairies can fly. Doesn't seem like a good prison."

"I guess we should try hopping down."

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash Arashi

He drove, following her directions.

He shook his head. "Nah. You seemed okay and Chashne had broken the bro code so I'd rather helped you than him. Don't need no favors, Nimi."

He laughed a bit. "All weird? In what way because everyone in Guardians is weird in my opinion."

14. - Top - End - #434

Proto

Proto enters the property, and smiles at Lahala, remembering her past interests in his craftsmanship.

"No need.
    Unharmed.
    Not wounded."

He quickly spins on himself to show he's not.

"However, materials used to create or repair rephaim were found.
    Thought the extra data might be of interest.
    Notably if help is currently needed to repair wounded rephaim.

Misguided cultists had it.
    Which makes the find all the more interesting.

The person found with most interest in the materials beyond the cultists is an ally.
    Name is Caerula.

Luka might have had a clue about this situation.
    The information seemed important enough to warrant a direct report."
    Last edited by Xgya; 2018-06-03 at 04:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Chashne puts his hand on one of the arms gripping his shoulder.

Hey Tora. he says softly. Yes, I'm stayng for this stupid... tea party?

He blinks and looks over her shoulder. At least I think I am. Hey everyone, sorry I'm late! Had to check out something, and then I ran into Proto, which was nice. And Ash.

There's a short pause, suggesting somehow that the first encounter was preferable to the second.

Did everyone get out ok- Say, what kind of tea is that? Oolong? I meant to try some of that new Kick! stuff, but I've not had a chance to hit the shops yet. You know, with the lavender and tea-tree extract. And chilli oil - Excuse me, I must be interrupting. He shoots a glance back at Tora, but continues to address the table. So, what were you all talking about?

He pauses almost a second before adding.

And is someone in charge of the pot, or is this more of a devil-may-care, throw-caution-to-the-winds kind of get together?

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    Outback Jack Malloy

"Aye, Professor. Sounds like the Lady is offering something special for you to play with." Jack turns back to Lachesis,
    Quote Originally Posted by LairdMaon View Post
    Outback Jack Malloy

"Angry fox-thing. Got it. We'll be back before long." Jack darts off in the direction of the Maple Temple. "Y'all coming?" he calls over his shoulder.
    Marlif wakes from his shock, shaking his head with a mix of dispondance and disappointment. They make it sound as if he has some juvenile and crazed perception, but they'd see, they'd all see when his research continued to bear the bountiful fruits it ever had... that or they'd use the convenient parts and socially ostracize him at their convenience... being a scientist was a tough life sometimes...

Seeing the hole Marlif commands his bodyguard "Number 4950, down the hole." At this something shifts under the trench coat of the bodyguard, almost as if a robotic cloak was releasing itself, only that what came out wasn't a cloak, but rather a giant spider. The spider staggered out, stepping carefully around the edge of the hole it controls it's weight and carefully... freefalls? Certainly a spider was the perfect choice, but in this case.... Regardless, by counting the duration from the jump to the crash of impact from it's monstrous mass, Marlif carefully figures the height of the drop.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spider's large, what's my falling damage for it?
    Don't worry guys, it'll survive... probably.
    Last edited by drack; 2018-06-03 at 06:40 PM.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Luka's House
    Proto

Lahala stares at cherub. She seems slightly pleased that at the very least Proto was okay. "Proto, Luka is isn't here," she says tearfully. "He's been gone for a long time. I don't know when he's coming back." She throws herself at Proto, wrapping her arms around while crying. She cries for a couple of moments before composing herself, wiping away some of the tears. "You said it can help guys like you, right? Maybe Clarity can help with that until Luka gets back, right?" She gives Proto a smile that's more desperate than hopeful.

Clarity Clemens is the human name of the other Rephaim around here. She tends to sleep, an uncommon habit among your kind. Still, she can be helpful when she's not being cryptic or evasive. The disappearance of Lahala's master is news, though.

The Maple Temple
    Jack and Marlif

The spider takes longer than Marlif expect it to to land. However, it seemed to make a softer sound as well. Perhaps

"I wonder what's going on with that," Alex says, scratching her head.

"Probably some kind of gravity spell. Either that or the dirt is soft," Edinah replies. "Well, we didn't hear a loud splat of any kind, so it might be safe. I can give us a Feather Fall spell, if would make you guys feel better." She pulls a feather out from her jacket, snapping it and muttering an incantation.

Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    She cast it on you guys, guys.

Guardian Manor
    Tea Time with Chash

"Uh, orange pekoe, I think," Tora says sheepishly. She gestures to some cabinets in the next room, which is a kitchen. "Diael had a lot of tea stuff, but we never used it."

"Really? I find that interesting," Caerulea says, sipping at some tea. "Master always loved tea."

"Well, I'm not super into it," Tora says a little defensively. It's strange. Most Catfolk from around here don't normally drink a lot of tea, so there shouldn't really be any particular reason she'd upset by it.

"I like it," Fierhan says helpfully.

"I could go either way. It has a bit too strong of a taste for me..." Henry says very unhelpfully.

Guardian Truck
    Ash

Ash cruises along, heading north. Droplets of water splash against the windshield and thunder rumbles in the distance as it starts to rain.

"Ah I see, you're bros, huh? That's cool." Nimi checks her game again. "Sure you don't want one for the road? Cuz if you say no, I'd call that weird."

18. - Top - End - #438

Proto

Proto holds Lahala with his tiny hands, waiting for her to regain composure. He WAS human once, and, while his speech and overall sensations were dulled, his mind is still his, as he was promised it would.

Once she calms down and announces Luka's absence, he bends his head quizzically.

"Any indications to Luka's location?
    Notes?
    Potential goals?
    If those are to be kept secret, just confirm this is the case.
    No need to breach confidentiality.
    Unless there is warrant to fear for Luka's safety."

He takes a brief pause, letting her think about her answers carefully, then comments:

"Clarity is still active?
    Impressive.
    Location unchanged?
    Probably isn't.
    Changing habits or nature would be out of character."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Chashne nods warmly as the true horror of the situation becomes clear.

Okaay.. So what are we going to do next? The van's headed off with all the boxes from the library, and from what I hear we broke their chief mechanism thing... But I'm not sure I understand where we're headed with this?

Because at the moment we're sitting around drinking tea. And it's not bad tea, but it's not stopping a cult of mind-controlling magical dabblers from doing whatever it is they're trying to do.

He swings himself into a chair.

These artefacts came from somewhere, maybe that archeological dig? Is that angle worth investigating?

Or have I misunderstood what we're doing here? Do we just follow them around, stealing their toys, and wait for something to go seriously wrong?

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash Arashi

He waved her off.

"Nah, call it whatever you want. I'm fine with just hanging out now or even later, you seem fun." Giving it a bit of thought he added "Besides, it's more that you probably wouldn't guess what I'm into...probably?"

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Luka's House
    Proto

"Yeah, that old fishy house," Lahala says. "I'm sorry I can't really talk about Luka right now. I'm really scared and I think he's been into something dangerous. I just hope he's okay." Lahala sniffs. "I bet you need to handle whatever it is little angels handle. Don't let me slow you down, cherub," she says, trying to smile while she ruffles Proto's hair.

Guardian Manor
    Tea Time with Chash

When Chashne mentions mind control, Fierhan protests. "Hey, I resemble that remark!" he says, giggling slightly.

Caerulea smiles. Her sharp teeth and dark eyes make it look like you're waiting on a shark. It's not pleasant. "Let me teach you a little lesson in social engineering, my dear Chashne. Cult definitely operate under a charismatic leader, who chooses the direction and action of his follows, often in intrusive and abusive ways. I simply performed a simple cephalectomy, cutting off the head of the organism, and replaced it with myself. Simply put, they won't be doing much without my saying so." Cephalectomy is a deadly euphemism for a decapitation.

Henry puts down his tea. "While I admire your... initiative, Caerulea, I would like to remind everyone that the crates we acquired were marked with our organization's insignia. Finding out the reason for this is paramount," he continues.

"I agree, we'll make it a priority," Tora says curtly. "We'll have to interview the members, find out what they know, who their sources and contacts are. Looks like it'll have to wait until the next meeting, however. Many of them don't exactly leave social media IDs at the door."

Guardian Truck
    Ash

"Woah, like a fetish?" Nimi says excitedly, grinning toothily. "What is it? Butt stuff? OOOh, is it nephs, please tell me it's nephs. That or tails."

22. - Top - End - #442

Proto

"Will ask around if there might be room for you at the Guardian manor.
    With your permission.
    Keeping active is important.

If waiting here takes priority, more frequent visits can be arranged.
    Leaving someone in distress...
    Very un-angel-like.
    Leaving a friend behind.
    Very un-Guardian-like.
    Leaving someone important.
    Very un-Proto.

In either case, news about Luka will be brought as soon as available."

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash Arashi

He shook his head at those attempts to guess it. This was something he never even talked to anyone, but considering how everyone in Guardians seems to be insane and just the way this girl talks, it seems fitting to discuss. Besides, he might not even meet her later ever.

"No, no and n-...maybe? I never thought about that. But nah. It's... how do I say it..." He spent a moment looking for words. Literally unspeakable topic. "I could say that if you asked me for a foot massage I'd most likely give you one? Also hm... Big girls." He started sweating the moment that sentence left his mouth as if realizing what he just said, as if he was going to break into nervous laughter. Oh god.
    Last edited by Yasahiro; 2018-06-14 at 09:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Outback Jack Malloy

"Right-o and thanks for the soft landing, lass. Last one to th' bottom buys drinks when we get back t' home territory?" Without further a-do, Outback Jack leaps into the pit. "HALLO CREATURE IN THE PIT!"

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Chashne sighs, and puts down the cup.

And while we're doing that, we follow them around, wait for something to go wrong, and steal their toys? Someone should still be doing that, right? Because with the deepest respect to Caerulea, how do we know if she's really nabbed the person in charge? And who says it's all on one person? There must be more going on that they don't know about or else we'd already know what's going on.

He tilts his chair backwards, its delicate legs creaking slightly, and regards the little chandlier with half-hooded eyes.

Ok, so we need to do an internal investigation. Can't we just track the crates? We bring loot in, it gets logged and stored. So if we're finding this stuff here, that means some of it's missing from where it should. Surely we should try and find out which storage facility has a hole? Get some idea of what they're liberating, and maybe work out what they're trying to do?

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Luka's House
    Proto

"Yeah," Lahala says. "That'd be nice. Everyone's little angel..." She cheers up a little. "I'll see about getting a bag packed." She gets up and goes inside and begins digging around the various angelic statuary, looking for a bag.

Guardian Manor
    Tea Time with Chash

"I suspect they have some sort of contact that is supplying them with our equipment. We got their leader, but there is still the security risk for a thief able to get into our vaults. Ill be slowing networking through the cult in order to try to contact them. If I am too hasty, I may rouse suspicion," Caerulea says.

"We're sending the equipment back to a warehouse to have it logged. Nothing was out of place when we catalogued our equipment," Henry says. "The gear is unquestionably ours, however. We think it may have been taken from an individual guardian who checked it out."

Guardian Truck
    Ash

"Oh, look at your sweating. You're like some kinda pervert," Nimi says, grinning sadistically. "You know, I know a little magic. I could be bigger than anyone you know." She looks down the road. You'd been driving north into a lightly populated area. "The warehouse should be on the right. Just take that spot up there."

The Maple Temple Pit, Faerie
    Jack and Marlif

A large canine like beast, almost a silhouette like the other fairies, but less abstract, slinks out of the darkness, leering at Jack and baring its teeth. Its fur is black, and brightens into white as it flows closer to the paws and the tip of the tail. The eyes are a brilliant gold, impossibly beautiful in their own right. However, all you feel emanating from this beast is conflict and madness. Its feet make no noise as it approaches Jack. It opens its mouth to scream at Jack but no sound comes. Instead, Jack feels pure malice wash over him.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    roll init
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2018-06-25 at 04:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash Arashi

"I'm no pervert, just haven't talked bout it with anybody. As for your magic... how big can you get, then?" Listening to her, he calmly parked the truck at indicated spot

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Chashne sighs, and tips back to the ground.

Fine, so it's an internal investigation. Somewhere out there, a Guardian is sending our stuff out the back door, and we have to work out who. While keeping track of the cult.

A small glowing ball wanders in and hovers a little behind him.

So, what can I do to help? I'm not much good as divination magic, I'm afraid. Or particularly good at watching, come to that. Something about me trying to be patient always inspires people to want to strangle me... His voice trails off in what sounds like genuine puzzlement. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Togo; 2018-06-28 at 07:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

The Maple Temple Pit, Faerie
    Jack and Marlif

Without seeming to give much consideration to the potential danger, Professor Marlif takes a long walk off a short ledge. As he lands, he shifts his oily hair back over his shoulders so as not to disrupt his vision. Dimly it occurs to him that he should wash it, but wouldn't that be an extra half hour of time that could have been spent on his research? Who can afford such waste? Plus, he'd just smell like rot, blood, and death again as soon as he got back to work. Wasn't this the sort of task Spot was supposed to do for him... Oh wait, spot was back in the lab... ... ..... Should he make another? As the thought struck him, Marlif seized the initiative to look around for proper materials. Disappointment quickly fills him though as he notices, aside from his companions, whom it'd be frowned upon to 'borrow' parts from, there]'s only some mutt...

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20-2)[5]
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

30. - Top - End - #450

Proto

Proto pats himself for a moment, until he finally remembers where he stuffs his seldom-used cell phone.

"Tora? Proto here.
    No, nothing dramatic.
    News about a sudden disappearance.
    Luka, a pretty important nephilim.
    You might have heard about him.

Not just calling to report.
    The investigation is important.
    Main reason for the call is a favor.
    A friend that was very close to Luka before his disappearance.
    Left alone in his mansion.
    Deep emotional distress.

She's reliable, a pretty good maid.
    Curious and knowledgeable.
    Leaving her alone here seems unkind.
    Do I have sufficient clearance to invite her to the Manor?"