New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Spinningdice's Star Trek - IC Thread

You are all aboard a runabout en-route to Narendra Station to take your assignment on the USS Indefatigable.

Quote Originally Posted by OOC
    Sorry for the sparse opening, want to give you a moment to get characters finished up and decide on your positioning.
    Feel free to place yourself, the runabout has two 'stations' a Conn and an Ops in the cockpit, the rest of you will be passengers. Conn tasks will be using Conn skill and Ops tasks will be using Engineering, but it's up to you how you position yourselves.
    Last edited by spinningdice; 2018-01-28 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Oops

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Spinningdice's Star Trek - IC Thread

Dr. Vadek

Dr. Vadek sits near the back of the runabout, a PADD in hand with several documents open. On the one hand, he is reading the Indefatigable’s crew manifest, particularly the medical files that have already been transferred over for his perusal. There was the usual assortment of mild issues, but nothing that would task medical too hard.

He also had letters open from his family on Vulcan. He scanned the contents. There was still no word about his sister. The black sheep of the family, she had abandoned a promising career in the Academy of Arts and Sciences to head towards the fringe areas. Vadek sighed. Impatience, seeking of adventure, and a flair for the dramatic. Captain Crusher would have loved her.

Finally, he looked over to a file containing Vulcan poetry. He was attempting to broaden his personal knowledge by familiarizing himself with the verse of his people.

Occasionally, he spared a glance around the runabout’s cockpit, his trained eye knowing he would find no ailments here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Alright, Doctor, " the Runabout's other Vulcan eventually speaks up, having had enough of his glancing around. "Tell us the truth; You've spotted something, haven't you?" But she wasn't going to wait for an answer... "It's the Terellian Death Syndrome, isn't it? The Captain's only got minutes to live, and we'd better get his Katra out of him before it's too late..."

If most people had said this, it wouldn't be hard to guess they were teasing the Doctor. (Or they were a Barclay-level hypochondriac.) But this was a Vulcan, speaking in a level tone, with nary a hint of a smile on her face...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Cmdr Akorem P'ol, Captain; U.S.S. Indefatigable

"Computer maintain speed & bearing, destination Narendra Station." The broad shouldered Bajoran turned from the Conn console to walk towards the rear of the Danube-class runabout, he had wanted to greet his Command crew formally, however, given the Indy's current dry docked status, that had proven to be impossible.

He strode into the rear of the runabout, his hands clasped behind his back, oddly enough he wore his SOB's, or Surface Operation Black's, a variant of the standard Star Fleet uniform typically worn for ground operations. The piping was the deep red of the Command Division, as was the narrow slash across the chest, worn with an overcoat that came to mid calf.

"Good afternoon," he paused, his head scanning the interior of the Danube, ensuring he was making eye contact with each and every one of the officers who would be serving with him over the next several years. "I am Cmdr. Akorem P'ol, Captain of the USS Indefatigable, NCC 929755-A, however Starfleet Command has her being retrofitted at Narendra Station. We are currently enroute, and travelling at a modest Warp 3, we should arrive within eleven hours."

He paused, nodding towards the Vulacan, "Our CMO, Dr. Vadek is already familiarizing himself with the crew manifests, his duty officers, and department schedules. I suggest you follow his example, I would appreciate the opportunity to review your department's duty roster with you upon our arrival at Narendra, before our initial shake down run."

He brought his hand up in a salute, "I suggest you familiarize yourself with your fellow officers, I've had the privilege of reading each of your service files, and what I found was men and women of outstanding character, integrity, and discipline. I look forward to serving with each, and every, one of you, I you have any questions, I will be at the Conn." His arm snapped back to his side, he then brought it behind him to clasp in his left, and snapped a quick military turn, as he resumed his position within the smaller cockpit at the fore of the Danube.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2018-01-29 at 05:02 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Lt Kang
    Chief Security Officer

Kang sat back in his seat as he listens to the Captain's introductory welcome speech.
    short, but effective speech. Definite matter of fact person, that will listen to suggestions when necessary, yet issue orders when he has to. Obvious military bearing and a warrior's stance. A worthy Captain to serve with.

Kang pulls his warrior's sash back in place, as he takes up the Captain's advice. Opening the PADD file, he once again goes over the files for the people under his command in the Security Department. Once that's done, he turns his attention to the available files on the Command Section and crew files.
    Last edited by Squadfather42; 2018-01-29 at 06:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

T'Loran watched Lt Kang pulling out his padd... and the snarky response she'd intended to give the Captain died on her lips. Apparently some of them hadn't looked up the others before boarding the runabout.

...Oh, well. Not her problem. So she'd take a look over at the Trill who'd taken the First Officer post. "I believe, XO, that tradition dictates you get first refusal in running the book on such matters. My bet that Lts Kang and Zh'rellel are the ones who didn't do their pre-reading before boarding the runabout, and I offer the cream of the first batch of lab-grown moonshine that neither I nor any of my subordinates are planning on brewing as my stake."

Then she returns to addressing the command crew in general. "For those of you who haven't already read my file, I am Commander T'Loran. I am a full-blooded Vulcan like our CMO, but I was raised on Andoria. So if I seem a touch idiosyncratic, you know who's people are to blame." A mock glare is aimed at Lt. Zh'rellel. "I've been in Starfleet for around 20 years now. I'm good with Physics, bad with Phasers, and despite the notes on my file, the only Vulcan Neuropressure technique I'll consider demonstrating without a Doctor's Note is the Nerve Pinch."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zico Zh'rellel was more nervous than she wanted to be, and she was glad there were no other Andorians onboard who could read her antennae. She expected to have a little time to acclimate herself to her new ship, but now she found herself manning the ops station directly next to her new captain and the rest of the senior staff in tow.

She was just about to introduce herself to Commander P'ol just before he stood up to make a short speech to the crew. Well that was impressive, she thinks to herself.

Once he's finished and T'Loran has made a joke about her people (OK, maybe she can read my antennae,) She raises her voice over her shoulder. "Pardon me for not getting up, I just want to make sure we stay afloat." she says while glancing down at her nearby hoverchair, I'm Lt Junior Grade Zico Zh'rellel, and I'll be your Chief Engineer. After this retrofit, it shouldn't be too hard to keep the Indie humming, but I'll be there if she get's out of tune. She turned back to her console and brought up the roster for her department along with info on the rest of the folks behind her.
    Last edited by KevSaund; 2018-01-29 at 09:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlueKnightGuy

Lt Kang
    Chief Security Officer

Kang looked up from reading the PADD as introductions were being made between the senior staff.

Once Zico had made her intro, Kang stood up and assumed a slightly relaxed military stance. " I am Lt Kang of House Martok. I will be your new Chief of Security, for both onboard ship and during missions while on the ground."

Looking around the craft, Kang gives everyone an appraising, yet friendly glance.

"I look forward to serving with each of you and bringing honor and glory to our ship and crew."

With an amused look on his face, Kang lifts up the PADD and adds "This is actually the second time I've gone over the staff and crew manifests. I wanted to get a simpler more visual assessment before we arrive at our starship. I'm glad to see that the admiralty chose wisely with the senior staff positions."

Almost as an afterthought, Kang adds "I'm well versed in hand to hand combat, phaser training, and tactics. I would be honored to assist you in improving your skills."

Kang then briefly snaps to attention and takes his seat at the rear of the shuttle.
    Last edited by Squadfather42; 2018-01-29 at 12:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Beholder

In a truly Vulcan fashion, Dr. Vadek raises one eyebrow as he listens to the officers introducing themselves. His first comment fell to the other Vulcan.

“Indeed. The Andorian connection explains...much. I was beginning to wonder if my first act as medical officer would be to declare that we had been infiltrated by a changeling with a particular penchant for imperfectly copying Vulcans.”

He continued to look around. “I have indeed familiarized myself with your medical records, as the Captain has said. You are all in capable hands. Pursuant to the Captain’s directive, I am Dr. Vadek. Vulcan. My specialties are in surgery and triage.”

He paused for a moment, considering the demeanour of those who had already introduced themselves. “I have also undergone the kolinaar. You may find my...”bedside manner” lacking, but you will receive the epitome of care.”

He waited for a moment before adding, “...unless you have the Terelian Death Syndrome,” and waiting for the next crew member to speak.
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2018-01-29 at 03:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about the Indefatigable; If she doesn't work well after the refit, we just drop the 'Inde' from her name..."

Okay, so T'Loran's sense of humour probably wasn't quite perfect yet...

In response to Kang, she adds, "I see you've learned one of Ambasador Spock's most valuable lessons already; 'Service records are the start of crew appraisals, not the end...' - after all, you'd never guess from my service record how fond I was of bad jokes!

I'll probably pass up on the offer of extra Phaser training, however. In case of boarding action, I'm fully prepared to bravely hide behind your strong, Klingon-ey self.
    "

Doctor Vadek's introduction, however, was the first thing to break T'Loran's deadpan demeanor.

"Ah, yes, you sound exactly like someone who's had their Kolinoscopy done." Besides misnaming the procedure, T'Loran appears not to want to talk about that subject much. That, or she's accepting that it'd be pointless to try to argue the value of emotions with someone who'd already had theirs removed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

As he listened to his command staff begin to chatter he smiled, resuming his Conn position, "Computer, resuming manual controls, auto pilot disengage." He checked the engine output, compared it mentally to the Danube's standard operating variances, decided it was within acceptable parameters. He gazed out the main port window, the expanse of space the many varied stars, they needed to leave the system under impulse power, prior to engaging the warp drive, so he had about an hour beside Lt. Zh'rellel.

He looked from his console to the young Andorian, the cast of her jaw, and the movement of her antennae seemed to indicate some apprehension, or concern. "Don't concern yourself with your relative lack of experience Lieutenant," he turned to her, and while his face was stern, there was something else in his eyes, compassion, sadness, "your Starfleet examination scores speak for themselves, and your service, though short, has been nothing but exemplary." He turned back to the Conn, made some minor course adjustments, compensating for some magnetic flares the systems binary stars had been experiencing in recent years. "That's why I requested you be assigned to the Indefatigable."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zico looks up from her console, and meets the gaze of her new Captain. "You requested me, Sir?" her skin lightens slightly at the compliment. "I'll do my best to live up to your expectations." She turns back to her work, seeming more relaxed, but with a little more steel in her spine. With Commander P'ol taking such a hands on approach to navigation she just had to make sure the ship was performing within acceptable standards, which it was so far.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

LT.CMDR KEHDZA JAXEN

An access hatch opens and a Trill woman emerges from the guts of the engines. Kehdza was no real engineer, but she was scrupulous about safety checks.

She entered the crew area, snapped a sharp salute to Commander P'ol.

"First Officer Lt.Commander Kehdza Jaxen reporting for duty sir." She eyed the younger man warily. She'd read his file thoroughly. He was little more militaristic, a little more straight-and-narrow than her usual command-style. And that, coupled with the... incident... on her record, made her not sure why he'd requested her in the first place.

But it was her place to serve.

The rest of the command crew was a fairly unique bunch. Not one, but two Vulcans. An Andoran. A Klingon.

This ought to be interesting.

"With your permission, Captain?

She turned toward the crew. "Station reports, everyone, if you please." Her tone was soft, patient, but with steel beneath.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Sir, " Even T'Loran couldn't help but sound faintly bemused as she addressed someone of lower rank than herself that way... Still, her fault for taking another Science Officer posting. If she'd taken the transfer to Command she'd probably be heading off to a science ship of her own right now...

"Due to a design oversight in the Danube-class Runabout, I regret to inform you that my station, as with those of Doctor Vadek and Lieutenant Kang, has not been installed. However the non-station chairs we've found in the rear section of the runabout are fully functional, and quite comfortable. You might want to try one while the Captain and Lieutenant Zh'rellel handle duty in the cockpit."
    Last edited by whoiam; 2018-01-30 at 11:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

A sideways glance.

"Alternately," she said, "You could report on whichever portion of the spacecraft you are, of course, monitoring, as per protocol, and also watch your tone. If you think you can manage both at once, that is."

The side of her mouth twitched in the barest hint of a smile. Vulcans were often difficult.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

This time, T'Loran's voice is entirely formal. Either the rebuke had it's intended effect... or she'd taken it as a challenge.

"I did. As per protocol, I am currently a passenger - responsible for nothing - until such time as one of the officers manning the cockpit requires or requests replacement, or we arrive at the Indefatigable and I can take up my actual post. In such situations, an informal tone is entirely appropriate."

...She'd taken it as a challenge.

Her tone softens back to it's normal deadpan delivery, as she continues, "I did, however, give you an accurate report of the state of the rear section of the Runabout. The chairs really are in excellent condition. You should try one. Not least because chances to bond with your peers without the necessity of maintaining decorum in front of the crew are likely to be in short supply once we reach the Indefatigable. You should take advantage of this one while you can."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Several hours into the trip Zico gets an alert on her LCARS interface, a Federation distress signal from Xerxes IV, a nearby M-Class planet. A cursory check of records indicates the only inhabitants of the planet is a Federation research team.

What do you do?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Captain I'm receiving a distress signal on standard federation channels. Records indicate it's coming from a research team on a nearby planet, Xerxes IV, class M. Should we investigate? Before the captain answers, Zico attempts to scan the planet for any anomalies such as extra in habitants or strange atmospheric phenomena.

19. - Top - End - #19

Beholder

“It would seem logical to confirm that the signal is authentic. It would not be the first time a Federation ship was a target of such a ploy,” Vadek mused aloud.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueKnightGuy

"Agreed. I concur with verification before we proceed. If indeed we fo processed, I recommend moving forward with caution."

Kang says as he moves up and stands beside the pilots chair, in order to get a better look st the screen.
    Last edited by Squadfather42; 2018-02-02 at 09:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

A look of genuine respect came across the Captain's face as his Executive Officer appear from the aft of the Danube. "Thank you for your diagnostic report Cmdr. Jaxen," however, after hearing the exchange between the XO and the Science Officer, a furrow appeared between his brow. He continued in silence, carefully adjusting the Runabout's path, until Lt. Zh'rellel informed him about the distress beacon.

"Cmdr. T'Loran, the sensor array controls have been routed to the work station in the rear of the Danube, please determine the veracity of the signal. Cmdr. Jaxen? Search Starfleet records, see if you can find us information on the Xerses IV Research facility, staff, and current research assignment. Dr. Vadek, have you completed inventory of emergency supplies and medical equipment aboard the Danube, we may have injured."

He sensed the broad Klingon's presence behind him, "Lt. Kang, there is a small tactical station behind me to your left. Please ensure you are ready on our shields." Then he turned to the Ops stations beside him, "If it's a beacon, it will be a looping audio communication, if it is not put it on the main view screen Lieutenant."

Without altering their current course, he began to calculate the most expedient route to Xerxes IV as he waited for his command crew to switch into action.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Aye, Sir."

T'Loran hadn't reached the rank of Commander by being incapable of acting professionally - despite the impression she might give off while off-duty. But once she'd been given some actual work to do she was quick enough to put aside her attitude and actually get started.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure if the runabout gets to contribute to T'Loran's checks the way a full ship would do...

But T'Loran herself gets:
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[1]

With a target of 17 and double-successes on a 5 or less (as this is going to come under 'Computers', 'Investigation' or 'Mathematics')

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

"Aye sir."

Kang moves with a purpose over to the tactical station. Keying in a couple short commands, he stands ready to engage the shields.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

T'Loran
    Your scans do not show anything suspicious about the signal, while you would normally expect more details embedded in the message, rather than a general distress call, it isn't entirely unusual - depending on the nature of problem.

You can isolate the signal as coming from a number of buildings of federation design on the planets surface, though you can't detect much more than that (i.e. lifesigns) due to fairly heavy ion-activity in the planet's atmosphere.

Kang
    Your tactical display does not show any threats, but you are alert and ready.

Jaxen
    The shuttle's records are not as complete as you would like, but there is a log of an outpost conducting medical research on Xerxes, 13 personnel.

Note
    The Shuttle is standard Danube Class Runabout with the 'Passenger Transport' module, you can get assist's from it's abilities but they leave a little to be desired.
    Last edited by spinningdice; 2018-02-03 at 05:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"The signal seems genuine enough, Sir, but doesn't contain any of the warning information you'd normally expect - no logs, diagnostics, additional data of any kind. Seems more akin to an automatic activation than a person calling for help. Whoever's down there may not be in any condition to signal for aid - or respond to hails.

We may want to consider a low-level pass over the facility. That planet's got a remarkably active upper atmosphere - nice for shielding from external radiation, such as our sensors. If we want a proper read on what's going on, we're going to need to get closer. Or just land and investigate in person.
    "

26. - Top - End - #26

BlueKnightGuy

"Standing by at Tactical sir. No threats detected."

Kang says as he keeps his eyes on the tactical screen.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

While he did not praise Cmdr T'Loran's suggestion, it was certainly prudent, coming in under the ionosphere would allow the Danube's sensor package to penetrate Xerxes IV's atmosphere without having the signal scrambled by it's unusually high concentration of nucleogenic energy. He began to make the appropriate adjustments to the Danube's flight path.

"An automated distress is concerning, possible reasons would include environmental catastrophe, viral outbreak, or hostile intrusion. All of these options are less than optimal." As he spoke, he keyed a communique to Narendra Station, informing them of the Danube's intention to respond to the automated distress beacon from the Federation Research Station on Xerxes IV.

"Stay sharp people, let's get eyes on the facility."

With that he nosed down through Xerxes ionosphere.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

As you nose down into the atmosphere the turbulence forces you to brace yourself, even with the runabout's stablisation, Lt. Kang raises shields as an additional buffer, but as Ionic lightning strikes, the runabout's systems start to lose power.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

A little bit scripted, sorry.

Okay, the runabout is going down. You can't stop that, but you can try and minimise how hard you hit.
    I'm open to suggestions, but at it's core you need a piloting check (either Daring or Control + Conn), other characters can assist (assisting gives one die, but against your own relevant skill) Control + Engineering to keep some pilot controls online, Reason + Science to note somewhere to land, Control + Security to modulate the shields to protect against further damage.
    Difficulty is 2.
    Last edited by spinningdice; 2018-02-03 at 10:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

The Danube shook violently from the ionic discharge, Akorem knew that he would have to land, hard. As there was no such thing as luck, he needed to prepare his crew for the inevitable impact, "Inertial dampeners, full!" He made the requisite course corrections, vectoring their descent towards the Federation research facility, "Doctor, now might be a good time to gather the emergency medical supplies, we are rapidly losing altitude, and our landing will not be textbook."

He turned to Zh'rellel, his face was calm, collected, even as his hands moved rapidly over the Conn controls, making minor course adjustments with the failing nav-conn. "Lt. could you please re-route power from non-essentials to our maneuvering thrusters." He returned his attention to the Conn as he fought atmospheric drag, and resistance while maneuvering the Danube towards his intended impact zone.

"Cmdr Jaxen, kindly inform Starfleet Command our arrival to Narendra Station will be inevitably delayed, I have sent our landing co-ordinates to your PADD, to attach to our outgoing communique." His face pinched into a tight grimace as he avoided an second ionic discharge, "Our actual position will have a variance of less than 100 meters."

OOC: I want to give other's the opportunity to assist before I roll, so I can roll in the OOC thread, or make another IC post afterwards. I tried to tag one of the Captain's Values, not sure if it helps mechanically, or it is just there for RP purposes, but he is trying to plan for the inevitable impact, rather than relying upon luck.

Anyways, off to work shortly, but looking forward to seeing what happens next!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

When the Captain says her name in that calm and collected way Lt Zh'rellell snaps out of her panic and gets to work. "Aye, Sir!" Her hands fly across the controls, making adjustments large and small, puling whatever spare energy she can from the small ships systems. We can get by with 98% normal gravity, who would even notice in the chaos?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Rolling control+engineering (target 12) to keep the right system powered. Plus I have focuses in small craft, propulsion and power systems, so one of those will apply. (4 or under for double success)

(1d20)[6]