New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Archon's Way of the Wicked.

With a local map and an experienced sailor in the group, a course is quickly charted. The destination is a manor house on Old Moor Road, so the decision is to take the ship into an inlet near where the road terminates. The group will be able to along the road to the manor house, albeit from the opposite direct that their mysterious ally expects.

But after sailing up the inlet in the dead of night proves a happy convenience. There is a dock and a boat house meant for smaller craft, but serviceable for your boat. It looks largely abandoned due and as if the moors surrounding it are trying to reclaim dock and boathouse for the swamp. But the boathouse is at the bottom of a hill. And it is uphill from the dock that sits a large mansion. From the rear, its windows are shuttered and boarded up. Climbing the hill and circling around to the front reveals that a lone lantern burns in the second story. A wrought iron fence encircles this manor house. Painted a dark green, nothing about this place seems inviting or a sanctuary.

Still This is your destination. Where will you go if not here? You have an appointment to keep. Best not to keep your nameless benefactor waiting.

(Congratulations you have completed Act one of Way of the Wicked.)
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Mira looks unhappily at the house on the shore, but sighs and says, "Here we go, I guess." She looks distinctly unhappy as she disembarks from the boat and walks along the deck towards the manor.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

"My friends, we have made it this far. I have a vision". Calebs voice climbs and resonates with the cadence of a practiced public speaker.

"A vision of soft beds and cooked food", he grins, and then shuts up as he goes for the door.
    Semper ludens.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

The Half-Orc proves a capable follower- when the occasion suits him, following every instruction from Gail such that the party is able to make it off their temporary home without incident. He is using the pull lines to bring the ship into dock when Caleb makes his proclamation. He looks up from the ropes to eye the manor house, making no effort to direct his attention back to the loudspeaking cleric, and grunts.

"I'm not your friend," he begins with a growl. After a moment, a wry grin begins to form across his scarred face. "but I'll damned well help wrest a bed from whatever soft-bellies might be squatting in that house."

He makes no effort to properly tie the ship in place, lacking the precise knowledge and keenly aware that the ship will stop being a ship fairly soon. Leaving their escape route behind, he follows Caleb to the door.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

"A bed sounds great!" Amber lets out as she leaves the boat behind. During their voyage she showed an eagerness to help, though her inexperience at boats showed in every action, so she eventually resorted herself to any simple chores. Happier to be on land, she looks at the mansion. "I wonder who lived there."
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2017-12-20 at 05:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Glad to be feeling fresh air on his face, it is still evident that the man is not accustomed to ship life, his quick reflexes and white-knuckled grip on one of the ropes secured to the ship often the only thing that kept the killer from falling overboard. Never the less, he does as the more experienced sailor commands, willing to put in the work to help the ship get as far away from the prison as possible. Once the ship docks and the group begins to disembark, Inigo looks up at the mansion, not with the joy of some of his fellow escapees…but with a bit of trepidation. Taking in the shuttered windows and overgrown vegetation, Inigo whispers, “If our benefactor does live here…seems he too is wanting ta keep a low profile.” If they have the resources to assist in this group’s escape though, Inigo is willing to hear him out.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

"Lets see if our benefactors are in" Caleb says, carefully not showing any apprehension as he knocks on the door.
    Semper ludens.

8. - Top - End - #308

BardGuy

Ahh, it felt good to be back on a boat again. the temporary captain of the temporary ship thought. Stepping off after everybody else, she takes a whiff of the salty air, then frowns. They were about to go pay their "price', and she expects that they will be working for them for a time, in a likely in less-than-legal way. Story of my life. "Right, lets get this over with."

9. - Top - End - #309

EvilClericGuy

The door of the manor house opens, and they are met by a green-eyed woman wearing a diaphanous white gown that makes her look almost angelic. Her hair is so platinum blonde, it is almost white. When she smiles, any illusions about her angelic character are quickly dispelled.

Dearest, you took long enough,” she says pitilessly. “We were beginning to wonder if you’d ever make it.” She gestures for you to enter the candle lit foyer.
    She looks disapprovingly at the ogre and Irene. Sneering snidely she adds “Oh, you have brought a friend and a pet!”
    Grumblejack moves to stand between Irene and the devilish woman. “L'il snack no pet. L'il snack is Smart 'Un's squire! So says Grumblejack! Fearsome Monster!
    A monster? Hah! Get in my way, little ogre, and I'll show you what a real monster looks like. Now, the master commands all of you to appear before him but before that, you must be made presentable. Slaves!.”

She claps her hands. Just over a dozen young attractive men and women wearing traditional servant’s garb appear quickly, their heads bowed. “These people, and their pets, are our guests,” she commands imperiously. “See to them and their needs. I want them cleaned, dressed and refreshed. Quickly!” There is something in that last word that sounds like a threat. Certainly the slaves take it that way, hustling to perform their duties.

Grumblejack watches the woman leave the foyer.
    Spoiler: He whispers to Inigo
    Show
    Grumblejack not like her. Someday, Grumblejack eat her.”

You are each lead to a private bedroom by a pair of slaves one male and one female: women are housed on the second floor, and men on the third. Despite the house's outside appearance, the inside suggests wealth. Perhaps the outside is just an illusion or camouflage. You are each given a windowless bedroom. Caleb gets a slightly larger room than the other men. Mira is given a larger room, than Amber and Gail, but Irene gets a room smaller than theirs. Grumblejack is lead to a completely different area of the manor with the promise of ale and tasty mutton.

Each room has a desk and wardrobe. In the wardrobe are two noble outfits. The women are given a choice of a strapless black gown or a backless red dress both with matching shoes. X and Inigo get a choice of black pants and jacket with a red shirt, or red pants and jacket with a black shirt. Caleb is the lone exception. He is given cleric vestments as befitting a revered priest of Asmodeus: a black robe with red stripes marking his rank. (The rank displayed is the equivalent of a real world Catholic Monsignor. Above a priest or deacon, but still below a Bishop.) While some may not notice this detail, Amber's background as a tailor will gift her this insight: Everyone's clothing fits as though measured and fitted for them.

Each room also has a bed. A queen-sized bed for those in bigger rooms, but a full size for the regular rooms. Waiting on the beds are bathrobes. The same-gendered slave insists that you accompany them to the bathing house first while the other gendered one takes your order for a snack from the kitchen. You are given a list of options, but one of the options is something that your character greatly enjoys.

You are all given a wine glass filled with a red liquid. It is not wine though. This brew is a cure light wounds potion. It also makes you feel as though you have had a nice catnap.

Assuming you do not insist on skipping the bath (why would you? you climbed down a latrine!) The Bathhouse is outside. Like the sleeping quarters, the bathhouse is segregated by sex. Women on the left, Men on the right. The reason for this becomes clear. The bathhouse has a central pool filled with cold water in the center, and stalls housing bath tubs separated by a half wall. There is a fireplace with a cauldron where the slaves take water from the cool pool and heat it for the small tubs. It is very much a communal bathing area. The tubs are not large. There is room to sit but not to lie down. The slave, if permitted does the majority of washing for you.

This is a nation without internal plumbing. A set up like this is frankly one of the more efficient methods available for bathing and something only the rich can afford. Feel free to roleplay a bit either in your rooms or the bathing house. After Irene is given her own room, she does not come out with the other women for bathing. The slaves simply say that the Mistress says the Master wanted to speak to her privately.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2017-12-23 at 06:46 PM.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Mira, after bathing, is notably displeased with the accommodations. She is unhappy being forced to wear a dress that she feels like she can barely move in. She's unhappy with the sudden disappearance of Irene, who Mira feels some responsibility for, and also who she doesn't trust entirely when out of her sight. She's unhappy with the presence of slaves, inwardly disgusted by the practice even as she enjoys the fruits of their labors. When Mira finishes bathing, she decides to do a little looking into of who these mysterious benefactors actually are, and what they might want, starting with a look around the inside of Irene's room.

11. - Top - End - #311

HalflingRogueGuy

Inigo simply smiles at the ogre's whispered words, patting the giant on his hairy forearm as he whispered back, "Interesting woman I say. But no worries there Grumble...so long as your pet doesn't do us wrong, I got no problem with you keeping her."

Later, in the room, he grows nervous at the special treatment, never having enjoyed such luxuries himself in his life. As such, he nervously scans the room that he is taken to, slipping his dagger out. Tense as he was, he nearly takes off the finger of the first slave who attempts to help him take his soiled armor off. Dagger still in hand, he hisses, "Touch me again and you'll lose that hand." Keeping a wary eye on the slave, he slipped the chain shirt off. Now armorless, Inigo warily takes the goblet offered him, giving it a gender sniff before sipping at it. Once he feels the restorative effects, he downs the rest of it before following the slave to the bath house. Once there, he will disrobe himself, but keep his dagger nearby. Once lounging in the bathhouse however, he grows less tense, even allowing his slave to wash him down. If he meets others form the group, he gives a curt nod, but it is obvious that the man enjoyed the bath for it was making him the cleanest he had been in quite sometime.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Caleb greatly enjoys the pampering and the tokens of prestige. He is not used to such treatment, but he has absolutely no qualms about enjoying it. In the bathhouse, he returns Inigo's curt nod with a slightly slower one, inviting eye contact and conversation, but doesn't press it, and is soon busy being scrubbed down. And disturbing Inigo's peace of mind with his loud vocalizations about it.

"So. You and the girl. Are you bed slave as well?".
    Semper ludens.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

Amber just follows along with everything going on, rather baffled by the welcome as well as the luxuries being displayed. When they are at their rooms and given options for snacks, Amber calls out: "You even have strawberries? I want those!"

She admires the dresses, but wonders how they managed to get those sizes down. While it makes her suspicious, her worries are soon washed away when she is offered the bath. More than eager to take a bath, she does give a clear instruction to the slave, not minding at all they are here to help her. "Make sure the water is hot." While at first she feels awkward having a slave wash her, she decides for a moment not to worry about it and just enjoy it.

"I feel like this is but a dream, which I can just snap out of and be back at the prison." She mentions to Gail, assuming she's bathing too. "Aaah.. the drink was nice."

14. - Top - End - #314

BardGuy

Whatever treatment the pirate was expecting, this wasn't it. Choosing the black gown to be prepared for herself, along with a nice seafood dish, Gail heads for the baths for a long soak. She was already there when Mira and Amber arrived, and allowed the slave to do the scrubbing for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    "I feel like this is but a dream, which I can just snap out of and be back at the prison." She mentions to Gail, assuming she's bathing too. "Aaah.. the drink was nice."
    "It does feel too good to be true, and it probably is. Mysterious benefactors that break us out of the unbroken prison of Talingarde, then pamper us like minor nobility when we arrive? They want something from us. But for now, I'm going to enjoy this."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Mira humphs and says, "Of course they do. And they can't even be bothered to provide proper clothing, either. Or tell me where Irene went or what they're doing her. And they keep slaves. I get the feeling these are not reasonable people."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

Amber had, prior to the bath, requested the red dress be put ready. At the bath itself, she nods to Gail and Mira when they mention their benefactor wants something from them. She then lowers herself a bit in the tub, enjoying the hot water. When she sits normally again and points to the slave to wash her back, she asks: "What's the problem with the clothing? It's fancy!"
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2017-12-24 at 03:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Mira looks at Amber and grumbles as a reply, "Have you tried to run in a dress? Or do anything...You know, active? It's a pain."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

"I hope we're not running away from whoever we meet!" Amber states. "I'd love to wear it. When we're going out again, I think they'll have something else ready. It's all so well prepared!" She then blinks for a moment. "Speaking about that, it's odd, they knew my sizes." But then she shakes it off, wanting to focus on the bath again.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

The Half-Orc eyes the green-eyed woman suspiciously, but he knows power when he sees it, and makes every effort to appear grateful and subservient. With a slight bow, he steps into the foyer, taking in his surroundings with a cold, calculating gaze.

He follows the slaves to his private chamber, enjoying the attention of his attractive servants. He doesn't hesitate for a moment, easily taking on the commanding role as he is left with the slaves. "Have the chef prepare a back strip of wild boar- rare, with roast potatoes and venison stew." As she leaves, he watches with an oddly disappointed expression. The door closes and he turns back to the manservant, who is still holding both pants with an expectant look.

"Oh, I don't care. Bring that one, he points, suddenly irritated." He accepts the goblet, and his mood is only further soured by the realization that it is not, in fact, filled with wine. He sips the draught gently, before setting most of it aside, finding it unneeded and the taste not to his liking. "Come on, then." He doesn't even watch to see whether or not the servant picks the rest of the outfit properly- the slave will no doubt the roughly chastised were he to make such a simple mistake.

In the bath, he reclines comfortably, his tub steaming in the cool evening air. He acknowledges Inigo and Caleb with a nod, but says nothing as the servant begins scrubbing away the grime and scabs away. He smiles at Caleb's question with feral, threatening glee. "Particularly the girl," he adds, with an eager and unfriendly gleam in his eye.

20. - Top - End - #320

EvilClericGuy

In the Men's Bath:
    The slave boy washing Caleb pauses to think. He answers in a thick Chelish accent and pauses mid sentence to think of the correct word to use in Talin. “We do what the Mistress requires of us. When she commands, we obey.” The blonde haired human works quickly finishing Caleb's washing.

In the Lady's Bath:
    The slave girl washing Mira pauses and whispers in her ear, “Mine lady, I am not supposed to speak out of turn, but the last group to come here was also given choices on their clothing. The Master was testing their reactions.” This young woman appears to be half-elven with long silky black hair braided into a ponytail. Her eyes are blue and her hands calloused from years of scrubbing. She speaks Talin fluently.

They are called the White Ravens. Their leader, a Witch, insisted that they be given white clothing to match their namesake.“ She adds.

The Quest for Irene's whereabouts:
    Irene's room contains her discarded guard uniform. There is no bathrobe, but she wasn't in the bathhouse. The room is otherwise as it was when Mira left for the Bathhouse. The slaves again repeat that the Master wished to speak with her privately.

This is a map of the Manor house. I made it using a sidequest from the 7th book. Which we probably won't use. If we do, then we can assume this manor house had the same architect.
    I did copy and paste to make enough floors, then realized after the fact that didn't quite get the stairs in the tower lined up. But that's okay as you don't want to go into the tower.
    Seriously, the slaves will even tell you that. The Mistress stays up there and no slave who has gone up past the second tower level has returned.
    https://flic.kr/p/DhiPDt
    It is a big file so I am only posting the link.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2017-12-29 at 11:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Mira hmms to herself at this news, and finishes the bath quietly, save for a response to the others.

Later, when she's told a second time that the master wanted to speak with Irene privately, she snaps irritably, "Yes, I'd figured that out by now. Tell me where, and about what. Or if you don't know, tell me as much as you do know."
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2017-12-27 at 11:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322

EvilClericGuy

This causes some confusion among the slaves. For while some remember the Master purchasing them at Auction in Cheliax, and others remember selling themselves to him here in Talingarde, none know where he stays when in residence or if he has a study or a private room.

The slaves start to fret. Have they been imagining a Master thus whole time? As the confusion grows, an albino woman pokes her head out of the door to the room next to Mira's

"Why dont one of you give her a tour of the house? Eventually you will run into him and the rest of us can sleep!"

In fairness to the albino, it is shortly after 1 in the morning.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

The Half-Orc goes along without incident. A few odd encounters spark his curiosity, but he does his best to not rock the metaphorical boat. He settles into the bed with clear contentment, anxious and curious about the morning, but willing to wait patiently on their apparent benefactor.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

"Hmm, okay." Amber looks a bit thoughtful for a moment, but then shrugs. "White Ravens and a Witch? When were they here?" She asks, mostly out of idle curiosity.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Mira's frown deepens as she prods further into this, but nods at the albino, still a little suspicious, and says, "Yes. Let's take a tour."

26. - Top - End - #326

EvilClericGuy

In the lady's bath.
    “[b]I am not sure when they arrived, but the Master had some test for them.” Mira's slave girl answers, “The Master was pleased and has kept them here since. The Witch's room is next to Mine Lady's room at the end of your hallway.

In X's Room
    Sir, sorry to bother your nap, but your food is ready in the dining hall.” X's female slave says.

Each player is informed that their food is ready in the Dining Hall. Except for Mira as she is taking a tour. (Private Message scene as Mira gets a tour.)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Amber Tash

Nodding to the slave, she takes in the knowledge, but soon lets it rest as she turns her focus to the bath.

After bathing, she gets dressed and wears the red dress, as she indicated to the slave earlier. Walking towards the Dining Hall, she clearly enjoys the dress as she smiles and lets it wave left and right, twirling in a circle one time and admiring that it is the right size. She tries her best to ignore the brand, though a wince when her gaze moves over it betrays that's not so easy.

Entering the Dining Hall, the red dress showed off her back, her pinkish skin and almost flaming eyes are offset by her light hair. Her hair is no longer the mess it was before, though still wet, causing her horns curving out her forehead to be more pronounced. As her red shoes walk her in the Dining Hall, she lets her exotic eyes move over its interior, curious as to what surpises this meal will bring.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

The Half-Orc rises, grumbling. His grumbles lessen and eventually cease, as he looks at the slave woman with open desire. "They must take good care of you. Most I've seen aren't nearly this.. healthy. Help me dress, slave." He is not polite as the woman obeys. His hands stray more than is even remotely proper, though he restrains himself enough to not drag the process on. His eyes narrow suspiciously as the clothing proves tailored to his impressively wide shoulders. "Huh. Half expected to rip another shirt..." He shrugs, putting the concern from his mind, as the slave woman opens the door.

He follows her, his hunger for food sufficiently outweighing his hunger for other things. In the hallways, he prowls forward like an alpha lion to the pride's kill. His eyes scan the manor, more than a little curious as to the identity of their mysterious savior.

29. - Top - End - #329

HalflingRogueGuy

Cleaner than he has been in some time, Inigo returned to his room and dresses in the clothing that was laid out for him Feeling the material, he smirks, though not the exact colors he would choose, it was difficult to not notice how fine the material was. Indeed, this s the finest clothing he had ever worn. Slipping the red tunic and black pants on, he adds a pair of soft soled boots before slipping his dagger and short sword into his belt. Amazed at how well fitted the clothing is, he wonders once more who their mysterious benefactor was and what they might want with the group of convicts. Then, hearing the announcement for dinner, the killer whispers, "Guess we'll find out" as he let the slave direct him to the dining hall.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Caleb enjoys the fine fabric, and the flattery of the implied station. He takes his time getting dressed, and slicking back his hair, and walks slowly to the dining hall, admiring the feel of the fabric, the swish of it, and how he looks. He walks into the dining hall confidently, with his hands clasped behind his back.
    Semper ludens.