New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Where to find a dedicated 4e community?

So, I really like 4e. I know it's unpopular, but it's my favorite edition of the game. I really like the options as presented in it, the fact that you actually can be Sir Lancelot and not only Merlin, the tactical combat system, its ease of play, the Feywild and Shadowfell as concepts, the role system, et cetera. I really like the game.

My question is, where can I find a consistent community for it? I know it's a 'dead' game, but I really am fond of it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Where to find a dedicated 4e community?

This is the most active 4E community I'm aware of. If someone knows a more active area, I'd like to know about it too!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by OculusDrake View Post
    My question is, where can I find a consistent community for it? I know it's a 'dead' game, but I really am fond of it.
    Part of the problem with finding a 4e community is that most 4e groups tend to not require much outside interference to be effective. The mechanics and whatnot don't require much in the way of debate and, for those that *do* require a bit of debate, most groups have generally figured out exactly how they want *their* version of 4e to play in the interval.

Furthermore, because 4e made sure that the mechanics were as heavily divorced from the fluff as possible, 4e discussions don't tend to go on and on, citing external sources and whatnot.

Of course, this is assuming you're talking about "community" in the sense of "a bunch of people that want to talk about it" (for which your best bet is probably this one) rather than "a group of people to play the game with". If you're looking for a reliable way to find a game, I would check out roll20.net. I know of at least one "drop in" community that runs games for whoever happens to be there whenever they've got the people.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurple View Post
    Part of the problem with finding a 4e community is that most 4e groups tend to not require much outside interference to be effective. The mechanics and whatnot don't require much in the way of debate and, for those that *do* require a bit of debate, most groups have generally figured out exactly how they want *their* version of 4e to play in the interval.

Furthermore, because 4e made sure that the mechanics were as heavily divorced from the fluff as possible, 4e discussions don't tend to go on and on, citing external sources and whatnot.

Of course, this is assuming you're talking about "community" in the sense of "a bunch of people that want to talk about it" (for which your best bet is probably this one) rather than "a group of people to play the game with". If you're looking for a reliable way to find a game, I would check out roll20.net. I know of at least one "drop in" community that runs games for whoever happens to be there whenever they've got the people.
    The latter was what I had in mind. This place suits the former fine. Thank you for the Roll20 idea!

And I mean, the main contributions of 4e to fluff were the Feywild and Shadowfell - aka, one of the best ideas DnD cosmology has ever had, imo.

5. - Top - End - #5

I've found a variety of options. Here of course. But also:
    https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/1...iving-campaign
    (group of kind of optimized 4e gamers, but willing to walk new players through things)

Enworld's CharOp board, filtered for 4e:
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/forumdi...&prefixid=wotc

I curated a 'most important 4e CharOp material' rescue handbook here on it:
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...&prefixid=wotc

More generalized 4e on Enworld with other editions too:
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/forumdi...and-OSR-Gaming

Reddit filtered for 4e:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/search?...restrict_sr=on

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    I've found a variety of options. Here of course. But also:
    I could kiss you right now. Thank you so much!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by OculusDrake View Post
    I could kiss you right now. Thank you so much!
    Completely not necessary, but you're welcome :)