New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: The Fire and The Black: Daemonfold [IC]

Spoiler: Ilvaria, Personman
    Show

Jack seems to be rather dubious about Ilvaria's plan.
    "Ilvaria... as much as I can see that you want to kill Orv... we're missing far too many pieces of information to make any sort of plan to do it. We don't know how to kill it, we don't know where it is, we don't know where it is going to be, and we don't know how to lure it in. Our best chance to learn more will be in Kaer Maga. Going to Baslweif is just going to add more risk to the townsfolk, and gain us nothing."
    And... I don't want to fight Orv, and if I can get to Kaer Maga, I can go my own way. But in the wilds? If we run into something with violence in mind... I'll need someone to fight it.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #542
    Banned

Goblin

Spoiler: Jack, PersonMan
    Show

"No, Jerrick going to the town will put it at risk. You going there to ask for help and any possible information, while I keep an eye on him, will put only my own life at risk. Because I will sooner die than let Orv get him. " Ilvaria responds. "Besides, Baslwief and Melfesh are the shortest way to Kaer Maga, we will have to pass through them regardless. We at least owe them a warning and if we find anyone willing to help us or share any information, the better."

3. - Top - End - #543

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Jack sighs, sensing that the paladin was never going to realize that this was, in fact, a terrible idea, and likely to get him killed.
    "To be clear: I think this is a bad plan. You, on the other hand, don't care about the downsides, and thus are absolutely convinced it is the only option, yes? Splitting up only makes things worse."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-03-29 at 05:00 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #544
    Halfling in the Playground

" Now that that's sorted, to the business at hand. I didn't see any sight of our young charge, but without having to worry about the demon, devil-mouth thing, I hope we'll find him, or at least, a trail to work with. I'll check over that way," says the monk, with the nod of his head in one of the directions of the camp corners and striding out that way to see if he can catch sight of anything that might indicate the presence of he who they seek.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking a 10 on Survival for the tracking, and poking at anything that might seem particularly interesting.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Solys, Marius, Sivudu
    Show
    Going around the edge of the former bandit camp, Sivudu finds signs that a small group left the camp recently, their footprints slowly filling with water in the rain around the muddier part of the camp.

Spoiler: Jack, Ilvaria
    Show
    Jerrick is silent as Ilvaria and Jack continue their discussion, though he does eventually speak up. "If, er...either way, going to Kaer Maga or not, we'll go by Baslwief if we follow the good roads. So, for now..." he shrugs.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

6. - Top - End - #546

GreenSorcererElf

Show

"We walk."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, that thing was rather unpleasant, wasn't it?" Marius dusts his vest when the creature is put into the box, and makes sure his blade has been cleaned and properly put away before joining Sivudu on the hunt. Seeing the monk go one direction, the young man turns and heads in another. Best to cover more ground that way.

"Mouth creatures... swear I'm not drunk..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry for disappearing. Marius doesn't have any Survival ranks, but I'll roll a d20 just to see what happens!

Survival: (1d20-1)[16]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2018-03-31 at 05:50 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #548

" Hey, over here, I think I've found some tracks," Sivu calls from where he has spotted the trail, not leaving it; one too many times has he found something he'd misplaced, left it where it was, and then later couldn't recall where it was to have any certainty that he could find the tracks again if he left them.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing Sivudu’s cry, Marius heads over to where the monk stands. Looking down at the ground quizzically for a moment before he pieces it together, the cad is the very picture of tipsy mediocrity.

"Well then! It would appear as though there were but one path ahead of us."

Once Solys joins them, he motions for the two of them to lead on. His sword is safely ensconced, and hopefully he won’t have to do any more killing before the day is out.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

10. - Top - End - #550

Before following the others, Solys looks at the unconscious mage and tries to figure out what they should do with her. With little time to spare, she quickly binds the woman tightly at wrist, feet, and mouth. She tears off some tent material and stabs holes into it, tying it up to form a kind of harness, which she wraps the woman up in before putting the person-backpack on her back and following the trail with Sivudu. Hardcheese nestles beside the woman's head.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Solys, Marius, Sivudu
    Show
    Solys is able to fashion a workable prisoner-backpack, with her and Jack following Sivudu as he moves along the tracks he spotted. It quickly becomes clear that someone has been trying to cover them, and it almost leads to the group losing the trail once or twice before finding it again. The rain begins to ease up, and eventually Sivudu spots a group ahead, followed quickly by Solys; once they've pointed them out, Marius can also make out the figures ahead. A group of three, consisting of two men and one armored, dark-skinned woman. After a moment, one of the men turns and spots you - immediately, you recognize Jerrick's face from the portrait.

Spoiler: Jack, Ilvaria
    Show
    You continue for some time, before Jerrick suddenly stops, clearing his throat and pointing over towards an odd trio approaching from behind you; a massive, horned woman with what looks like torn-up tent material carrying something on her back, a tall bearded man carrying a sword with large rings going through it, and a second man with a more mundane, sheathed weapon. They've clearly already spotted you.

Jerrick clears his throat, and then pauses, looking to the two next to him. "They're not from the camp," he says quietly, nodding towards the other group.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

At long last. Marius strides forward, seeing Jerrick's face and knowing that the hunt is nearing its proper end. Raising a hand, the cloaked swashbuckler hails the other group with an open smile.

"Ho there! We mean you no harm, friends. Jerrick Overni, correct? We've been looking for you for some time; your father sent us out here to make sure you were alright." Marius doesn't add that Lord Overni's requests involve bringing the young noble home just yet - he'd rather make sure that Jerrick doesn't decide to cut and run first.

As he speaks, Marius sizes up the other two people with him. The tracks from the camp seem to have been from three people, so all of them were presumably captured at some point and escaped together. The first is a roguish looking fellow, with what appear to be several blades. Although they don't physically resemble one another, something about his posture and gaze reminds Marius uncomfortably of looking into a mirror. And the other is a stunning looking dark elf, with armor and a deadly looking spear. He lets his eyes linger on her raiment perhaps a little bit longer than is appropriate.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #553

GreenSorcererElf

Stubborn people I can't convince to do what I want them to do... Frustrating. Maybe if I present things in another way? But I already tried presenting it as a thread to Balsweif...
    Lost in his plans for Ilvaria and Jerrick, Jack doesn't hear the oncoming trouble until after Jerrick draws his attention.
    And now you're so focused on one thing that you miss others. Bah!
    Pausing, and looking around, Jack quickly spots the approaching(And talking) trio, before his eyes dart around the small clearing, looking for any other ambushes, before his attention turns to the talking man.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+7)[11] perception

Jerrick's father? Hm... possibly. He was paying for Jerrick to go to an expensive school. But Jerrick doesn't recognize him, so not normal employees. See if they'll reveal anything? Ego hit?
    Satisfied(Or not) that the six of them were alone, The somewhat ragged young gentleman allows a smile to appear on his face, even as his hands slowly move behind him, out of sight. Still, when he speaks, his voice is boisterous, and cheerful.
    "Well, this is certainly a pleasant surprise! Would I be correct in assuming that you're the distraction?"
    After he finishes speaking, his eyes look over each member of the trio that had caught him, assessing them.
    Hm... three, and I never heard them. The one on front clearly has some training in stealth, and with that sword, and those hands... swashbuckler of some sort. Gaudy, attention grabbing clothing, that sword, those drinks... mercenary. Somewhat down on his luck, judging by his clothing. Likely to be a bit erratic. Especially when drinking. The giant... she's carrying what looks like a homemade backpack... muscle. But neither of the others looks like a leader, so probably not dumb muscle. And the last... looks like a fairly poor mercenary as well. Not even any armor to go with his sword. Idiot. But none of them look like the planning sort, so... hopefully, they'll get into why they're after us. And don't aim to start a fight.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-04-03 at 06:46 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #554
    Banned

Goblin

Ilvaria positions herself between the strangers and her companions, spear held firmly but not in combat position yet. She quietly judges the strangers. The one that seems to be doing the talking and Jack seem to immediatelly distrust each other, which she finds ironic due to their somewhat similiar presence. Although so far she finds Jack to be much more willing to control where his eyes wander. The other two looked like a far more serious threat, especially a large woman. Ilvaria seises her up for a moment, trying to asset a threat level, before just giving up and deciding on "do not underestimate".

"My name is Ilvaria Barit'tar, a knight from the Order of the Spears of Saint Dio, at your service. And that gentleman's name is Jack." She introduces herself and her companion. It's not an accident she uses exact same words she did earlier in the tent, hoping Jack will remember that she told him if any pursuit catches up to them or someone attacks them, to just take Jerrick and run, while she holds the attackers back. "Can I know your names?" She doesn't really trust their claims just yet, but she wants to see how this situation will develop before making any moves.

15. - Top - End - #555

Now that they've finally found Jerrick, Solys feels some measure of relief, though it's not entirely relieved, because she's got a demon in a box and a bandit on her back. They've got Jerrick, and now they just have to deal with a very dark elf and a particularly squirrely fellow. Since Marius has taken the initiative, she decides to stay quiet.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Ignoring the distraction quip for now, Marius turns to the dark elf and her question. He affects a deep, courtly now that is at once proper and unseemly in this company and these surroundings, pushing the basket hilt of his rapier to the side as he does. When he rises, it is with the barest hint of a self-satisfied smile.

"The name is Marius Bonaventure, and it’s truly a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My large horned peer here goes by Solys, and that fellow with the sword is Sivudu." He takes a momentary pause, aware of the tension that exists on both sides of this. At the same time, Marius is very aware of what would calm his nerves. Careful now; we must not appear to be too craven without a touch of wet about the lips.

"I can only presume that since Jerrick here is not bound and seems to be traveling with you willingly, that neither of you are compatriots of the bandit group we just helped dismantle?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #557

GreenSorcererElf

Continuing to keep his left hand concealed, Jack returns Marius's bow, giving in to his "noble" heritage.
    Hm... a hint of nobility, but acquired, I think rather than born to. And he seems satisfied. Interesting. And such interesting names. But he avoids my question, which isn't a good sign. Especially since they're after Jerrick, who hasn't expressed any knowledge about his father hunting for him.
    In contrast to Marius's expression, Jack's face is marred by a frown. Still, his voice seems to be confident, if a bit wry.
    They attacked the bandits, so an association with them is to be avoided. Now, to downplay things a bit...
    "I wouldn't say we were, no. And might I presume to state that you aren't either? They seemed to be of the opinion that Lady Ilvaria and myself might be more useful as prisoners, than free. Which, admittedly, is better than dead, but still a most distressing state of affairs. Fortunately, Jerrick was kind enough to set us free in the confusion of your attack."

And let's see where that takes us, shall we?
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-04-03 at 10:46 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Marius considers Jack's reply, parsing each word carefully so as to be sure of the exact phrasing and the intents behind them. He avoids my question. That is not a good sign.

"Considering how many of their number we have left broken and bleeding in our wake so far, I would say with some certainty that we have never been allies of the Parchment Eaters." Turning to Jerrick, the half-drunk man raises an eyebrow.

"My lord Overni, it would seem that you have some capabilities to which my group and I were hitherto unaware. You would not happen to know anything about small mouth-demons, would you?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Jerrick stares at Marius for a moment as he's addressed. "Er, mouth - oh," he takes a step back. "A cacodaemon? That means - wait. You say you were the ones attacking the camp, how did...did you manage to kill it? Drive it off?"

20. - Top - End - #560

Solys feels like everyone's waiting on her to say something, so she does. "We, uh. We put it in a box. And its master - probably its master - is here," She half-turns to show off the captured mage in her backpack. "So, uh. There you go. All sorted."

21. - Top - End - #561

GreenSorcererElf

Jack looks to be thinking hard as Jerrick and Marius talk.
    Parchment Eaters... so that's who they were. A rather strange bandit gang, but perhaps that's because they're not after loot, but lives. And a cacodaemon... And Jerrick recognizes it. And he had the soul gems. And isn't brave, which means he was given them. And they're made from the recently slain. Which means he's been working with it, to gather them, and has a position of trust. But why break it? He's been participating in murders for a while now, why the sudden squeamishness? I feel like a man with a puzzle, but not all the pieces. He seemed earnest enough when he wanted to free us, but that doesn't fit. And his change of heart happening right before agents that might well be working for his father attack the camp? I distrust coincidences.
    While he thinks, Jack's worry seems to grow more and more, and he looks like a man prepared to bolt. When Solys turns, to show off the mage, Jack moves, doing his best to keep Ilvaria between him and the newcomers, and putting some distance between himself and Jerrick, who he is clearly regarding with a great deal of suspicion.
    When he finally speaks, his voice is low, and very tense.
    "Assuming you are working for Lord Salba, I think you might have a fairly serious problem."
    Let's see if they know his name. Might help narrow things down.
    He looks straight at Jerrick before continuing.
    "What, exactly, have you been doing since you joined the bandits?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #562
    Banned

Goblin

"Cacodaemon?" Ilvaria turns her gaze towards Jerrick. "Was it what made those gems?" She asks.
    She positions herself in a way to keep an eye on both Jerrick and the strangers, if only so she can intercept an attack whichever way it comes from.
    "It's been a long day, how about we make a camp and discuss everything in less tense mood?"
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2018-04-03 at 05:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

"A cacodaemon... you mean Lord Salvin?" Marius is just confused at the turn of events. His question was a blunt strike, obviously designed to see what Jerrick really knew. As it turns out, the answer to that question is 'more than he's letting on'. But what's this about soul gems, now? The swashbuckler shakes his head slowly, as though that will help him better follow events. Judging by Jack's body language, something in Jerrick's reply appears to have lost him some trust in the former. Beyond that, Marius is quickly getting lost in the particulars of things. A pull of mead might help. Before he can stop himself, he finds his fingers bending towards one of the iron vials and playing with the lid.

It takes a bit of self-control to stop. When he does, Marius hones in on Ilvaria's words. "An excellent suggestion, Lady Ilvaria! Why don't we all find someplace out of the mud to repose ourselves and have a leisurely chat. Surely one of us is adept at wilderness lore, and can help us in this regard. I myself have no such skills, as I am quite pathetic and am used to the goodwill of others to provide for me." Smiling with obvious obsequiousness, the duelist follows Ilvaria's lead and positions himself so that his back is to nobody in the group save Solys.

If this does go belly-up, I will need to be certain that none of them will turn on me. For the second time that day, Marius remembers the parable of the hunters in the woods.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2018-04-03 at 05:55 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #564

As he hurries along the trail, Sivudu speaks occasionally and in fragments, ensuring that the he communicates to the others what he sees regarding their path forward. Upon reaching the other trio, he's content to stand there, a large man with a large sword. After a little wave over at Jerrick, he crosses his arms over each other as the preliminaries occur, the fencing conversation of two groups that don't know each other in the woods. He just nods in agreement with Marius.
    Last edited by HowNowBrownCow; 2018-04-03 at 06:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565

Solys frowns as the group starts to deal with various trust issues. She'd quite frankly prefer to be dealing with her potions than listening to this situation that, whatever the case, will end with them bringing Jerrick back to his father. She can fit another passenger on her front if she has to.

"We can talk here, can't we?" Solys asks, feeling that she'll be turned to to find camp. "We'll just be changing one bit of the woods for another bit of the woods with some fire in the middle."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

"The - " Jerrick frowns as Solys speaks, and shakes his head when she reveals the woman on her back. "No, she was just one of the bandit lieutenants. If there was a cacodaemon, it was Orv who summoned it," he says. As Jack turns to him, he frowns, only to quickly turn to Ilvaria and nod as she speaks, nodding again when she brings up setting up camp.

...Only to deflate slightly when Solys speaks again. He sighs, and nods before spending a few moments silent, chewing on his lower lip. "I didn't join them," he says. "I...made them, sort of. We ran into trouble on the road, and Orv was going to kill them all to make soul gems, but I told him we could use them to gather more lore. Then, we grew the group a bit, by pulling in a few others who had their own little groups."

27. - Top - End - #567

GreenSorcererElf

Jack just leans back, his arms now crossed(With his left hand behind his right arm), watching the reactions of the newcomers to Jerrick's admission.
    And that's the start of it. But will... no, of course not.
    With a sigh, he speaks up again.
    "And the soul gems I'm carrying now?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #568
    Banned

Goblin

"Jerrick, I'm getting increasingly more and more disappointed in you." Ilvaria says, massaging her nasal bridge. "You remember what I was saying about running away? See what I meant? Creating an entire group of people-hunting bandits to save your own skin, that's what I meant." She turns to the others with frustration.
    "We can set the camp even ehre. I'd rather sit while hearing the rest of this story. Or I feel I'm gonna punch something at some point." She says and then turns to Solys."And, while I admire your strength, I want to interrogate this woman and in this position it's gonna be awkard. I mean, you don't want me standing behind you and talking to your butt, right?"

29. - Top - End - #569

"Uh. I'll put her down when it's time to interrogate." Solys says. At least with the woman on her back, she'll know if she's trying to escape.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

"Anyone who would end up dead, he would summon a cacodaemon for..." Jerrick says, slumping. He frowns but doesn't offer any other reply to Ilvaria as she speaks, not seeming to have an opinion on the matter of setting up camp at first, before pausing. "Er," he turns to Solys, Marius and Sivudu. "Haven't you three...cleared out, the camp? We could just...go back there, instead of making our own?"