New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Level 2 Damage spells for Wizard: What shall I go with?

So my original plan was to pick up Shatter to use as a level 2 spell for damage, but there must be better options right? What can I go with instead that will be more suited to damage?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Level 2 Damage spells for Wizard: What shall I go with?

As a personal bias, I would usually go with scorching ray, though there are a lot of creatures that resist fire damage so Melf's acid arrow is also a decent option. So scorching ray offers multiple targets and more raw damage, but the acid arrow is probably more consistent damage. It would also depend on what damage types you already have access to from your level 1 spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

hmmm... nothing i would say is outright 100% better the way fireball is better than pretty much every other damage spell of even remotely the same level. just good in different ways.

for other options, check out the free elemental evil supplement that WotC released. at level 2, for damage your main options other than shatter are aganazzar's scorcher (3d8 fire damage in a 30 foot line, dex save for half) and snilloc's snowball swarm (3d6 cold damage in a 5' radius sphere, dex save for half, 90 foot range instead of shatter's 60 foot range).

if i was only going to pick one of them at level 3, it would probably be shatter at level 3. nice AoE, doesn't need you be on the front lines, damage type is not commonly resisted, and technically it's the only one that can hit objects if you care to do so. but there are definitely reasons to consider either of the other two.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Scorching ray and hold person are the kings of level 2 spells.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

My personal bias is not to use 2nd level spells for damage. At 3rd level cantrips and 1st level spells provide enough damage if that's what you need - Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Burning Hands. With 2nd level spells being the most potent at that level I want them to pack a punch. Suggestion, Phantasmal Force, Hold Person, control spells for me.

However, for damage spells I've found Scorching Ray to be quite popular. The hidden gem of it is rolling that 20 to get a critical hit, but even just three normal hits on one target for 6d6 damage total is significant at 3rd level. For that one particular combat where the bad guy is resistant to fire, just lump it and cast something else. It's not a tragedy not to cast it at every possible instance it could be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Rolling to hit with scorching ray sucks, many times I would have been better off casting magic missile using a 2nd level slot.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    My personal bias is not to use 2nd level spells for damage. At 3rd level cantrips and 1st level spells provide enough damage if that's what you need - Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Burning Hands. With 2nd level spells being the most potent at that level I want them to pack a punch. Suggestion, Phantasmal Force, Hold Person, control spells for me.

However, for damage spells I've found Scorching Ray to be quite popular. The hidden gem of it is rolling that 20 to get a critical hit, but even just three normal hits on one target for 6d6 damage total is significant at 3rd level. For that one particular combat where the bad guy is resistant to fire, just lump it and cast something else. It's not a tragedy not to cast it at every possible instance it could be done.
    Yeah damage at that point isnt the best. Infact it rarely is.

Other good spells to pick besides the ones listed is blindness on a high priority target, allowing for advantage all around. Pyrotechnics coupled with conjure bonfire. Web. Mirror image if you are some kind of gish, its really quite an awesome spell for defensive purposes. Darkness can be devestating if the group has darkvision and what they are facing dont, like humans. Enlarge/reduce also has its uses, but its less interesting unless you prepare for it or someone is a grappler.
    Last edited by Findulidas; 2017-08-18 at 02:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Findulidas View Post
    Yeah damage at that point isnt the best. Infact it rarely is.

Other good spells to pick besides the ones listed is blindness on a high priority target, allowing for advantage all around. Pyrotechnics coupled with conjure bonfire. Web. Mirror image if you are some kind of gish, its really quite an awesome spell for defensive purposes. Darkness can be devestating if the group has darkvision and what they are facing dont, like humans. Enlarge/reduce also has its uses, but its less interesting unless you prepare for it or someone is a grappler.
    The Darkness is magical... so darkvision doesn't really help, does it?

I might as well pick Alter Self and Misty step for the utility for level 2.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Flaming Sphere will probably do the most damage

10. - Top - End - #10

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykid View Post
    Rolling to hit with scorching ray sucks, many times I would have been better off casting magic missile using a 2nd level slot.
    This is how I feel about it too. It's fine, it's a reasonable workhorse spell at later levels, but blowing my "big" slots on it as a 3rd or 4th level caster never felt satisfying.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I rarely use 2nd level spells for damage. Far better off with something like Hold Person in a second level spot. I rely on 1st level spells, especially magic missile, for damage and cantrips hold up well enough.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pretty much agree with above posters an upcast magic Missile is good enough damage until fireball. Level two spells is really good for utility, crowd control, and movement. Misty step, Web, Phantasmal Force, etc.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    The Darkness is magical... so darkvision doesn't really help, does it?
    You are right of course. Mustve mixed it up with some other game when it did.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Findulidas View Post
    You are right of course. Mustve mixed it up with some other game when it did.
    Perhaps someone was playing a warlock with devil's sight invocation which does work in magical darkness.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

So my original plan was to pick up Shatter to use as a level 2 spell for damage, but there must be better options right? What can I go with instead that will be more suited to damage?
    Hi!
    Honestly, Shatter is in the top-tier: decent damage, decent area, good range, can also be used as a very unsightly thieve's tools XD or to create a compelling distraction.

Now, with that said, if you are looking for 2nd level spells that deal damage primarily...

Flaming Sphere is by far your best shot if max damage is your priority: movable sphere, 1mn. It does use your concentration but is very useful in proper hands.

Otherwise, I'd say pick whatever suits the party the best.
    - Earth Tremor, although technically a 1st level spell, still provides a very nice mix of damage and control, giving advantage to melee allies by putting prone.
    - Phantasmal Force, only single-target, but mixes damage and control for a rarely good save.
    - Maximilian's Earthen Grasp, a good competitor for number one: movable, either damage or control... BUT, it uses your action to persist, so much less interesting for a pure Wizard who does not have many things to do with bonus action (yet).
    - Dust Devil: low damage, but movable, provides soft control (obscuration and possible push).

Yeah, I love those spells that can be used in many ways. ;)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Flaming sphere is a good choice. The damage isn't much in the first round, but in a long fight it can do a ton. Also, it can hold chokepoints as a sort of mini wall, which is occasionally VERY useful.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

flaming sphere is great damage for sure, but that concentration requirement i'm not a fan of. still, i suppose this early on as a wizard, spending your concentration on damage isn't bad. later on, you'll probably never use flaming sphere, but at level 3-4, you don't really have a ton of stuff worth concentrating on anyways, it's pretty believable you might have some fights where damage is worth your concentration.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    Flaming Sphere will probably do the most damage
    for sustained damage I would say yes (second only to spiritual weapon but that's on a different caster). Shatter is still fine for burst/area though.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

19. - Top - End - #19

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    flaming sphere is great damage for sure, but that concentration requirement i'm not a fan of. still, i suppose this early on as a wizard, spending your concentration on damage isn't bad. later on, you'll probably never use flaming sphere, but at level 3-4, you don't really have a ton of stuff worth concentrating on anyways, it's pretty believable you might have some fights where damage is worth your concentration.
    Well, the Flaming Sphere *should* be doing 2d6 damage to one opponent while generating additional attacks of opportunity for other team members, while at the same time you plink away with a crossbow or cantrip. So concentration is called for, I think.

Remember, it only hurts when you're in it when your turn ends. If you plink it in the middle of the 3-4 opponents attacking your front-line fighter, they can 1) disengage - and completely lose their action, or 2) attack and move away - if they're willing to eat an attack of opportunity. Only unintelligent opponents will burn.

So, it's a damage *and* control spell. IMO it's the 'mini on a grid' forced movement shenanigans of 3e and 4e, but it's been rewritten to be workable with 'theater of the mind'.
    Last edited by Beelzebubba; 2017-08-19 at 09:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Flaming sphere also hurts your allies too, right? I don't know how I'd feel on that.

21. - Top - End - #21

DruidGuy

Flaming sphere also hurts your allies too, right? I don't know how I'd feel on that.
    It's 15' diameter in effect. It's not hard to park it in a place that will hit enemies and not your front liners.
    Last edited by Beelzebubba; 2017-08-19 at 12:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
    It's 15' diameter in effect. It's not hard to park it in a place that will hit enemies and not your front liners.
    Yeah that is what all that intelligence represents, effective use of spells.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.