New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default a nonexistent blade game (ic)

The night a cheerful and splendous night as it always is. The crew convened at the underground lair in charterhall.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: a nonexistent blade game (ic)

When Songbird came into the room she saw Swordfish leaning against the strange curved bookshelf half-full of books and strange knickknacks as she told some tale of her travels to an enraptured Frost & Flame. Across the room on the other side of the old but sturdy circular oak table and in front of the gonfalon that had long since lost all but the vestiges of it's symbols and its color that might once have been a brilliant blue or green, Butterfly stood there one eye on the conversation and another on Saber and Siren who respectively chopping away some toxic roots from the park above and moving a crate of who knew what out of what had become their meeting room into another.

She saw that Butterfly saw her enter, but Butterfly didn't say or do anything in response. Because that was how Butterfly was away from the eyes of those with expectations of her behavior. Songbird wasn't offended at the lack of attention, even before she learned that was just how Butterfly was.
    Swordfish on the other hand stopped her tale when she heard Songbird enter and turned to greet her with a smile, still full of mirth about whatever the story was, "Ah Songbird-"
    Whatever Swordfish was about to say was cut off by Frost excitedly getting up from her chair and giving an enthusiastic greeting over her own, "Songbird!" Then the girl turned to Butterfly, "Songbird's here Butterfly!" as if Butterfly could have somehow missed that. Butterfly for her part just nodded, which Frost took as approval as much as simple acknowledgement of her words.
    Swordfish for her part gave Songbird an amused smirk at Frost's antics as Songbird walked over and sat on the table next to Frost & Flame's chair.

Songbird then said, "Looks like everyone's here. Good. I had an idea you might like Butterfly."
    At this Butterfly still said nothing, but walked a bit closer to the table and gave Songbird a go-ahead gesture.
    She continued, "So I was thinking, I ran with the Red Sashes for a bit before you guys found me. I figure I could maybe make introductions and see if they wouldn't mind doing some training with us? I figure that might please our Lady. At the very least we'll pick up some skills. What d'ya think?"

Butterfly gave Songbird a rare genuine smile, clearly pleased with the idea and that Songbird in particular was the one to bring one, showing she wasn't just brawn and beauty, but a contributing member of the leadership of cult... as it were.
    Seeing that she had Butterfly's approval, Songbird smiled clearly pleased with herself.
    And then Frost was actually jumping around in excitement. "They're the ones with the school right!? That's so great! What a great idea Songbird! I can't wait! This will be great!"
    Swordfish for her part also look excited, though not quite as exuberantly as Frost, and commented, "I have to admit, being able to get on the inside of an Iruvian battle school is something I've wanted to do for a long time. There wasn't even a slight chance of being allowed into the ones in Iruvia. Good job Songbird."

Between Butterfly's approval, Frost's jubilance, and Swordfish's appreciation, Songbird was practically grinning from ear to ear, happy that everyone else was happy with her.

"Can we go now? Let's go!" Frost practically demanded in her enthusiastic way.
    Songbird looked to the others to check if this was something they were doing right away. Swordfish deferred by looking the Butterfly who shrugged and made a "lead the way" gesture.
    "Ok then." Songbird replies as much to herself as Frost and got up off the table and moved to leave. As she did so she make a beckoning gesture to Saber and Siren to make sure they knew they were included in this too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Once they're at the Red Sash's school, Songbird fairly nonchalantly pushes open the fence gate and walks up to the door. She knocks in a rhythmic pattern. Not because it's some kind of code or has any particular meaning, but just because that's the kind of thing she always does.
    Swordfish looks at the building with a bit of surprise as it's an entirely different kind of building than the martial schools in Iruvia.
    Frost & Flame just marvels at the size and impressiveness of it, as it certainly sticks out as one of my more impressive buildings in Crow's Foot.

4. - Top - End - #4

EvilClericGuy

The door is opened and a man of iruvian descent. Says "Hello. It is a beautiful night. It is most pleasant to meet you. For what pleasure do you come into the red sash training school?"
    As you look beyond you see the rooo beyond cobwebbed, and with red furnushings.
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-16 at 03:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"It is a nice night yeah. I'm Songbird, pretty sure we never met if you were around back when I was doing some work with you guys. Any chance you could tell Mylera I'm here and I was wondering if she could spare some people for a day of training for me and my friends?" Songbird asks matching the greeter's chipper tone.

6. - Top - End - #6

EvilClericGuy

"Of course that sounds like a grand idea. Dagger! Why don't you guide them to Mylera.

Dagger gives a gruff nod, and beckons you to follow him.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Songbird gives the greeter a smile and follows after this Dagger fellow. And then others follow after her, all three of them looking around appraising the place in rather different ways. Swordfish taking in the style, Frost & Flame taking in the newness and different tone than most of the rest of Doskvol (though to be fair most everything in a city, any city at all, was new and interesting to her), and Butterfly just viewing it in tactical terms.

8. - Top - End - #8

EvilClericGuy

Eventually they find Mylera in an office talking to a man who leaves soon before they arrive. Mylera sees you, and says "Take a seat. It is a pleasure to meet you again songbird. Who accompanies you? "
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-16 at 11:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

As the other three take seats like normal people, Songbird turns her chair around before sitting on it so that her chest is against the back of the chair. Seeing her do this, Frost looks like she's considering doing it too because it looks fun and looks to Butterfly who gives her a negatory shake of the head and Frost gets the message not to do it.

"This is Swordfish" she says indicating Swordfish who gives Mylera a sort of informal bow of the head as she learned they do in Iruvia. "Frost & Flame" she says pointing directly at Frost & Flame so there's no confusion that she might be talking about two different people instead of just the one (that can be seen anyway), who in turn tries to mimic the head bow Swordfish gave a bit hesitantly, not sure if that's the custom or not. "Butterfly" Who for her part just gives Mylera a polite smile and acknowledging nod of the head. "Siren and Saber" she says, indicating them again with more pointing directly at the individuals in question.

"We were hoping you might lend us a few of your guys for the day to train with." she adds, preempting Mylera asking why they were here.

"Preferably women." Butterfly adds. She then looks at Frost & Flame and continues, "There would be less complaining about fighting a little girl I imagine." Though that's not her real reasoning at all and is instead thinking that their attempt at consecrating the school for the Lady of Thorns through the ritual of combat would be more likely to succeed if it was an all female group of people involved in it.

10. - Top - End - #10

EvilClericGuy

"Of Course I was going to offer some tea, and pleasantries, but I should have known Songbird you wouldn't be interested in that. Of course I have enough female trainers for each of you to get a personal one. Frost and Flame I know someone who I'd think you'd like she goes by Candy. Butterfly due to your attire would you be interested in a former military officer training you? Beret would teach you if so. Swordfish I guess you'll be going with Plunger she's rather proud. Siren, You'll be under the tutalage of Draft, and Saber you'll have Dust . Songbird You'll be learning under Mer. I'll tell them about this and you can discuss your training schedules with them individually. And tomorrow I will want to discuss an operation I'd like you to undergo. " Mylera replied.
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-17 at 01:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Songbird looks a little sheepish at having jumped over the small talk that she hadn't figured Mylera would be interested in.

"That sounds like a good arrangement." Butterfly says both in reply to the assigned people and the job offer.

There's a pause before Frost & Flame asks, "What's tea?" Which elicits looks of mildly horrified surprise from both Songbird and Swordfish. They both then turn to look at Butterfly accusingly, clearly thinking "Why are you depriving this child of an education in culture?"

Butterfly responds with a shrug and, "I have not yet gotten around to tea. I thought clean water, milk*, and fruit juices were more appropriate for her palate." Which is basically her implying that despite their assumptions, she doesn't think a kid from out in the deathlands would have a refined enough sense of taste to really care for tea before she got more used to other things.

*Milk here means goat's milk since most people in Doskvol have probably never even seen a cow.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-06-17 at 01:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

EvilClericGuy

Mylera takes a moment to contemplate before replying. "Is there anything else you wish to discuss?"
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-17 at 01:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone looks around at each other and there's a general shaking of heads.
    "How have you and the gang been?" Songbird asks, still a bit sheepishly.

14. - Top - End - #14

EvilClericGuy

Mylera replies honestly. Truth is the war between us and the lampblacks is looking like it can go either way. And it's kind of forced us to shut down a lot of our businesses for the time being as we focus on the war. It's done the same to the lampblacks, We still have a couple of businesses running like this training school to keep some money pooring in, but most of them are really understaffed as we focus on trying and take down our opponents. It's hectic our coffers are dwindling, and really It sucks. There are some internal problems as well. But generally my men seek vengeance for what the lampblacks did to us, so I will provide it. That's the gritty bit of it. But we are going to win this war especially if you help me in a small venture. But a lot of the gang is also running double shifts, and otherwise having multiple duties to take care of. So how is it on your end?
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-17 at 02:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Songbird nods along as Mylera speaks, conveying "yup, that's what I've heard".

"Well as you can see, I've finally found a group that's a fit I think. We're set up in a good spot, pretty close on the other side of the bridge actually. I also got myself a little place over in Tangletown." Songbird answers in a friendly way.

Meanwhile Frost & Flame has leaned way over to whisper as close as she can to Butterfly's ear and asks, "Really, what's this tea thing?" To which Butterfly gives a sigh and says back in an equally hushed volume, "I'll tell you when we get back home." Frost & Flame doesn't look super satisfied with that answer, but she knows she's not going to get anywhere by pushing the issue.

16. - Top - End - #16

EvilClericGuy

I'm glad it's working well on your end as well. Frost and flame would you like some tea?
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-17 at 04:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes!" Frost & Flame immediately answers without a second's thought.
    Butterfly immediately sighs and wishes people would stop encouraging her. Swordfish sees this look on Butterfly's face and gives her an amused grin. Frost doesn't even notice. "Thank you!" she adds as an afterthought.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-06-17 at 04:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

EvilClericGuy

Alright. I'll be back in just a minute.mylera replies As she leaves the room to get some tea.
    She returns after a little while with a silver platter carrying tea, and some biscuits and honey.
    She places it on the desk, and gives a cup of tea to Frost and flame. "Careful it's hot."
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-17 at 04:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Frost immediately scarfs down a biscuit with basically no sense of class. It's on the plate on moment, there's a blur of movement, crunching, and crumbs on her mouth and her hand reaching out for a second that Butterfly is now putting her own hand atop of. Frost looks at Butterfly and clearly thinks "oh right that manners thing".
    Songbird makes some more small talk asking about this person or that while they all wait for the tea to cool down enough. When Butterfly judges it has, only then does she remove her hand from Frost's.
    Frost them copies Butterfly as she delicately takes the cup of tea and sips. Frost's face scrunches up at the taste of it, clearly finding it too bitter for her. Butterfly rectifies this by adding some honey to Frost's cup. A fairly generous amount (that's probably inappropriate for anyone aside from a child). Frost clearly likes this much better, and just seems completely focused on the taste of it. Though she does continue to copy Butterfly as for how often she sips and stops to take a bite of biscuit.

Songbird and Swordfish have tea and biscuits like normal people. Though Songbird holds her cup in a much more delicate and refined way than Swordfish does and never makes any slurping or sipping noises. Which is only really noticeable as a contrast to Frost.

20. - Top - End - #20

EvilClericGuy

They come back again the next night
    Well it is really nice to see you again songbird. The tea's fresh, and the biscuits even fresher. Alright let's get down to business So ... As she says that. An attack happens at the base. and A lamblack enters the room. Wielding a gun to shoot Mylera, surprised that you were there. He instead turns his gun at frost and flame.
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-17 at 06:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Songbird and Frost & Flame react the quickest to the sudden incursion. Frost immediately dives behind Mylera's desk for cover, giving a little shriek of alarm, while Songbird kicks the intruder in the chest, and hopefully out the window, as part of getting up out of her chair.

Spoiler
    Show

Did a Desperate Prowl for Standard Effect as a Group Action with Songbird and Frost & Flame. Got a 6.
    Since it was a Desperate action, Songbird and Frost & Flame both get 1xp in Prowess.

22. - Top - End - #22

EvilClericGuy

the lampblack falls to his death. From a 4 story building. Dying he passes out.
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-18 at 12:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Songbird looks out the window to watch the man fall to his death, to make sure he's not going to continue being a problem.

Seeing the Songbird has the situation handled, Butterfly leaves the room in search of a good vantage point to assess the situation. Seeing her leave, Swordfish follows along to help out with that.

Spoiler
    Show

Butterfly rolling Risky Limited Survey. Pushing for Effect so Risky Standard.
    Swordfish taking 1 Stress to help Butterfly for a bonus die.
    Got a 6.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2018-06-18 at 01:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

EvilClericGuy

As Butterfly continues on analyzing the situation she quickly realizes with Swordfish's help that the lampblacks are quickly losing against the red sashes it seems to her that the fight was doomed from the start. So as she continues on she sees several lampblacks, and she realizes that the lampblacks are all over. They arrived through the windows of the manor. She can even hear the sound of swords swiping through flesh as the bell finally rings. Some lampblacks flee when they hear the bell, but most don't seem to have heard it, or are too worried to notice it as their primal instincts have them continue their fight against the red sashes. As you near the main hall of the second floor the place where most of the fighting seems to be happening now even though there is still scuffling on the others. You see a lampblack charge on Beret shouting "LEEROY JENKINS!" and he is promptly slain. You don't seem to be seeing the other teachers or anyone you are familiar with on this main hall. perhpas they died or perhaps they were somewhere else you have no idea.
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-19 at 12:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Figuring all this out, Butterfly and Swordfish briefly discuss a plan of attack as they await Songbird and Frost & Flame, who they notice is certainly a much irritated Flame by the faint burning embers in her eyes, catching up. There's really no need for anyone to ask why that switch happened, as they all know one of Flame's main drives is to protect Frost and a man pointed a gun straight at her. Not Mylera or one of the three other adults in the room, her kid sister!
    Butterfly quickly relays the plan to everyone and then they split up. Songbird and Flame going one way, while everyone else goes the other.

Both pairs decent opposite stairways the lead down into the second main hall. On the right side Butterfly, Songbird, Siren, and Saber take up a sort of defensive position behind the banister. Butterfly aims a shot at a Lampblack, hoping to catch all of their attention. Then Songbird, Siren, and Saber open fire with theirs, not really aiming to do more than cause mayhem and distract the invaders from looking the other direction.

Then while the Lampblacks are looking the wrong way, Songbird and Flame come sneaking up behind them and attempt to insert some blades into their backs.

Spoiler
    Show

Butterfly starts us off with a Hunt Set Up action. Controlled Standard. Rolled a 2 so.... nothing useful there. Not trying a different or risky approach.

Swordfish leads a Wreck Group Action with the Sword Maidens as a Set Up action. Controlled Standard. Swordfish gets a 6, Sword Maidens didn't give her stress so Songbird and Flame get improved effect on their upcoming action.

Flame leads a Prowl Group Action with Songbird. Controlled Standard, but Great instead because of the successful Set Up action. Flame gets a 6, but Songbird rolls a crit, pushing Effect up to Extreme.

26. - Top - End - #26

EvilClericGuy

As they do so they hear a Wilhelm scream and so they proceed after another 2 and another 2 until those that were inside were either dispatched by the red sashes or their backstage of silent but murdery death. Soon with butterfly and swordfishs pure awesomeness the only ones left alive were those that had already left. Many bells were tolled, but the lamblack sneak attack was foiled.
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-20 at 10:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Though the action was brief, it was also intense and bloody. As Flame began to move after the Lamblacks that had fled, Butterfly put a hand on her shoulder and shook her head. There was a brief moment of blinks as Forst had to wrestle control over her body back from Flame who was still rather angry about the whole "pointed a gun at my sister" thing.

Then she looks down at her nice clothes, now covered in blood and exclaims, "Oh no! I'm so so so sorry Butterfly!" But Butterfly just shook her head and said, "It's fine. I have gotten blood on all manner of things in my life. I know an appropriate person to see to get the stain out. Rather than the clothes, are you alright?"
    While Butterflies words might sound like genuine concern, they aren't entirely at least, but at least half of the reason she's asking is to assess the strange child.

In answer to her question, Frost nods and says, "Yeah. Flame's still real angry though so.... I might be.... distracted for a while?"
    To this Butterfly just nods, as if she understood more than half of what that must mean.

During this exchange Swordfish looks at Songbird and gives her a look as if to say "You're not gonna make a big deal about your clothes being stained in blood?"
    Songbird just gives her back a shrug and licks a bit of blood from her lips in that way you somewhat automatically do if something's on them. Though she doesn't grimace or seem to make any notice of the taste afterwards.

Butterfly then looks at the Red Sashes around them and states to nobody in particular, "Well, we best go find Mylera and resume our conversation about that job."

28. - Top - End - #28

EvilClericGuy

They find mylera in her office. Waiting patiently for you to return. She replies "Take a seat. You guys will be hitting the lampblacls where it hurts. In the pocket. I know the location of one of the lampblacks drug dens. I need them to stop working with and paying tribute to the lampblacks I do not care the means for how this is done. All I need you to do is make sure the lampblacks aren't getting money from that establishment."
    Last edited by Extrail; 2018-06-22 at 11:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Butterfly looks at the others to make sure there are no immediate objections. Swordfish and Songbird nod in approval, Frost & Flame doesn't seem to be paying attention. Butterfly turns back to Mylera and says, "We would be happy to help you. If you do not mind we will take a few days, so that they mayhap let their guard down or you have diverted their attention by whatever reprisal for this incursion you will make. Or perhaps we could strike simultaneously if that works for you?"

30. - Top - End - #30

EvilClericGuy

Mylera "That's completely fine. It would be unreasonable to assume otherwise."