New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Using Difficult Terrain offensively/defensively

Hi all, I was wondering if I could get some help with this subject. I am new to Pathfinder, I came across spells that create difficult terrain. I know it costs double the movement to walk through this terrain but is there anything else that is vital to know? And what are some ways to use it as a caster on the battlefield? Thanks for all your help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Using Difficult Terrain offensively/defensively

You can't Run or Charge across difficult terrain (there are abilities to fix that though). Keeping the bad guy from charging the Wizard (YOU!) when your BSF forgets to stand in front of you is important.
    Movement penalties stack, so someone who is Tumbling or Entangled in Difficult Terrain won't be going very far.
    That tumbling opponent also has the difficulty increased, so it's harder to dodge opportunity attacks.
    No running jumps, since you can't run.

I'm sure there is more.

It's not a winning condition on it's own, but it helps control the battlefield.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Difficult terrain also prevents the usage of 5-foot steps. This lets you stand just outside of an enemy's reach and not be vulnerable to a full-attack.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh when you say the conditions stack with the difficult terrain, would it stack with Entangle? Or would they just use the condition that is more severe?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zangief1983 View Post
    Oh when you say the conditions stack with the difficult terrain, would it stack with Entangle? Or would they just use the condition that is more severe?
    They stack. Entangle makes you move half speed. Difficult terrain doubles the cost for each square. So 20' turns into 5'