New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Exalted 3e] Demigods / Fugitives / Heroes IC

Spoiler: Shaded Momaht
    Show
    Shaded Momaht is a town in the southeast of Creation, somewhat equidistant from the Inland and Dreaming Seas. It's name comes from the dense canopy of vines and leaves that grow over the entire settlement, leaving it in perpetually low light; shielding it from the intense southern sun in Ascending Fire and the rains and snow in the colder seasons. The canopy is the work of wood elementals serving the town God Sevultis, an odd sort of spirit who is happy to yield his worship to the proper Immaculate calendar, but for reasons unknown to mortals he refuses (violently and mercilessly if pushed) to stop shading the town, nudging the borders to match those of the human settlement many dozens of metres below.

The town has a population of several hundred, bolstered by regular caravans using it as a convenient rest point on trade journeys between the two great bodies of water. The Guild's interest keeps the town relatively free of violence and the younger generation act as hunters and wardens against natural predators whist their parents and elders conduct business and more refined affairs. It might almost be considered sleepy by the standards of the region.

In the wake of the Opaque Lotus' breakout Momaht was invaded by a Wyld Hunt charged with reclaiming prisoners. A large scar bisects the main road through the town where an Earth caste prisoner was struck down by an Immaculate cavalier, sending a shockwave that caused nearby homes to crack and crumble. The charred husk on one of Sevultis' temples is all that remains after an anathema was trapped within and a fire aspect abbot ensured he never left it. A mother who's hunting days are behind her makes fine jewellery from shards of black glass left behind when a Hunt sorcerer unleashed shimmering razors shaped like hummingbirds into a crowd to wound a Water caste trying to conceal herself amongst human shields.

The last Immaculates left eight days ago and the town is beginning to piece itself back together. The first Guild caravans are returning, but the well rehearsed pattern of daily life is in tatters.

You are gathered in a house near the burned temple, maybe 10 minutes walk from the centre of town. The air is cool as is typical of Ascending Earth season. The house was owned by a tailor who fled with a caravan during the chaos, purchased by Librarian for a very good price. The Hunt is around, but not nearby and you four seem to have managed to fall off the Lotus's radar.

What now?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Exalted 3e] Demigods / Fugitives / Heroes IC

At breakfast that morning, Lien approaches the rest of the group. She's standing in a sort of parade rest from her Order days, something she often defaults to when unsure or nervous.

So, I've been thinking. I'd been considering trying to reach out to the townsfolk, but that seems too dangerous with the Hunt still nearby - and they probably blame us for what happened as much as they blame the Immaculates. But what if we tried approaching Sevultis himself? They desecrated his temple, that must make him angry. Having a god on our side would certainly be useful, and I imagine we can be rather quieter about it than if I started preaching in the street.

I wanted to know what you all thought of that idea - I know I'm not as... strategically minded as some.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-03-22 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

"Probably don't want you chirpin' all over, Songbird." Damson agrees quietly, finishing up honing her shortsword. She checks the edge with sharp eyes, cold breath fogging the blade. "Talkin' to the god sounds... agreeable. I can write prayer strips." She shrugs, glancing at the other two of her sun-graced allies.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sentinel was eating at the doorway to the house, keeping an eye (and ear and nose) out for trouble. Luckily, it seemed like a quiet morning, so all he had to pay attention to was the conversation between his allies. Taking a seat inside, he considers the proposal for a moment before nodding. "It's a risk, but it feels like a worthwhile one, if you think he can be convinced. I'd advise we give as little away as we can about ourselves until we can figure out his feelings and intentions, though."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The Librarian looks up from the dining table where she has taken up sitting, surrounded by paper, writing out what she remembers of the texts she didn't get the chance to liberate from the Lotus, this time with her own personal notes and observations in the margins. "The hunters seemed quite desperate to kill or recapture all that they could, I definitely think we will need help. But we should be cautious, the one who was burned in the temple may have been trying to reach out to him as well." She puts down her pen and looks lost in thought for a moment, "Perhaps if we were to pen him a letter, outlining our plight without giving away anything dangerous, we might gain some insight from his reply?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

6. - Top - End - #6

Lien looks relieved at the responses, shifting into a more relaxed stance. "Yes, starting with letters and prayers seems like a good plan." She turns towards Damson and the Librarian. "Obviously that's more your idiom, but I might be able to help a little..." she says, putting down her tea and reaching for her (rather smaller) collection of books, eventually selecting a rather dry looking Immaculate treatise. "Back in the monastery we were always taught that half of theology is just good manners. Give me a while, and I could work out exactly the proper formalities we should use to address Sevultis."
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-03-22 at 01:48 PM.
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Librarian smiles, "That would be very helpful, thank you, Lien. My knowledge on spiritual matters is somewhat archaic at the moment. I'm sure Damson and I can compose something suitable, right Damson?" She fishes around her stacks of paper and produces an ornate golden stamp, "And with this, we can make sure that only Sevultis will be able to read it."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Damson nods, sheathing her blade and padding over to the Librarian---probably the one she likes most of these Solars, at least so far. "Figure we can cook somethin' up he'll like." She gives Lien a nod---she's on somewhat awkward terms with the Zenith, given their respective positions on the Immaculate Order, but intellectually she knows Lien isn't playing apologist for murder.
    On the other hand, dead mom.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Int+Lore with Theology specialty, using Lore Excellency to add 4 dice using peripheral essence. (11d10)[2][9][5][2][8][7][3][1][7][9][7](60)

Six successes - Lien quickly and handily works out the proper forms for addressing the village deity with proper reverence while maintaining one's own dignity and authority, hopefully assisting the two authors in currying Sevultis' favour.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-03-22 at 01:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lien can aid in writing a letter with the proper greetings and caligraphy that Sevultis will find gratifying. Such a letter will cause Sevultis to have a Minor Tie of Courtesy and Respect towards the author.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2019-03-22 at 01:55 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Damson spends 4 motes on the Linguistics Excellency to buy two automatic successes. Her dicepool is CHA + Linguistics = 8. Every 10 rerolls a non-1 failed die.
    (8d10)[5][7][1][3][8][8][7][4](43)
    Rerolls start from the leftmost non-1 failed die in the original roll, and reroll results start with the leftmost die in the second roll here.
    (8d10)[5][5][1][10][7][5][7][6](46)
    If Stunt dice are awarded, they are this roll.
    (2d10)[8][1](9)

Damson sits down with chalk and a battered slate to outline her letter before moving on to proper paper and ink. She consults with Lien on the ecumenical side of things and the Librarian on the more literary front. Before long, her Essence-laden hand writes an elegant missive in Old Realm to entreat the god's favor.
    Last edited by Beans; 2019-03-22 at 02:25 PM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

1 dot stunt, 5 sux

The letter is penned well and without incident and effectively incorporates Lien's suggestions.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Librarian, content to let Damson lead, sits back and watches her work, occasionally making some suggestions for better word choices or phrasing. When Damson finishes the letter, she hands her the Seal so that she can make her mark and ensure that only Sevultis may read it's contents. "Here you are, Damson, it's simple to operate. Just feed it a little of your power, and think of the message's intended receiver when you seal the letter. I would do it myself, but it would be disingenuous of me to claim your fine work as my own."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Cha + Linguistics to help, spending lets say 3 personal motes for 3 extra dice, so 3+5+3=11: (11d10)[3][8][10][7][6][8][5][8][9][1][2](67)
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2019-03-23 at 08:51 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Damson spares the Librarian a rare, slight smile. "Sweet of you, Libbs." She follows along with her compatriot's instructions, thinking of the local god and feeding a little essence into the seal as she uses it to put the final touch on the letter.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Librarian smiles, accepting the Seal back when Damson is done and putting it back among her notes, "I hate to keep asking you to do so much for us while we hide in here, but you've been out in the town more than any of us, do think you could safely deliver the letter?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

She nods, tucking the letter into the coat she acquired a week ago. "That, 'n I'm probably the quietest. Wait 'til night, y'think, or do we want this ASAP?"
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

During the letter-writing process, Sentinel had been content to sit, watch and listen, but he speaks up again now. "I think we can wait. I'd suggest we also ensure whatever method we ask him to reply using doesn't bring him or his servants too close to here. Preferably, in a way which would allow us to observe whoever responds."

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    During the letter-writing process, Sentinel had been content to sit, watch and listen, but he speaks up again now. "I think we can wait. I'd suggest we also ensure whatever method we ask him to reply using doesn't bring him or his servants too close to here. Preferably, in a way which would allow us to observe whoever responds."
    "That certainly seems wise," Lien says as she sips her tea. She looks thoughtful and continues: "do you think one of the houses destroyed by the Hunt would be safe enough? It would certainly help to reinforce our point."

Her eyes drift towards the window and she starts to drum her fingers restlessly. "In the mean time, do you think there's anything the rest of us could do? I don't know about everyone else, but Heaven knows I'm getting sick of being cooped up in here...
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-03-23 at 01:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

It's now night time. Due to the canopy above the town it is pitch dark without a light source to hand.

Momaht doesn't have anything particularly resembling a night life so most people are asleep, but there are people about watching the perimeter, merchants who prefer to work at night, a makeshift hospital and a small pub both erected by the Guild continue to hum along.

20. - Top - End - #20

Limit Roll: (3d10)[1][4][1](6)

No successes, no limit gained.

Somewhat reluctantly, Lien goes with her better judgement (and that of the group) and remains confined within the house until nightfall, passing the time (and maintaining her sanity) by practising on her lyre and working on what she plans to say to Sevultris if and when they meet.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-03-25 at 07:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Stealth Roll, 2 autosuccesses
    Show
    Spending 4m (mute) on the Stealth Excellency for 2 automatic successes.
    4m (mute) on Soundless Action Prana causes every 10 to reroll a non-1 failed die. She also cannot be detected by mundane hearing, and even supernatural hearing is at a -2 penalty to detect her.
    DEX + Stealth = 9
    (9d10)[4][9][4][7][2][9][7][9][7](58)
    Rerolls.
    (9d10)[9][10][7][6][10][4][7][4][9](66)
    Stunt dice.
    (2d10)[9][8](17)

Damson buckles on her swords, ready to slip out into the night. Pausing at the door, she looks back at her compatriots. She looks at the Librarian before silently nodding to the others and stepping out like a shadow.

Damson suffuses her body with the stealthy, silent essence of Air as she creeps through the darkness toward the burned-out temple. She is a dragon of the wind, and the very air submits to her will and diffuses the barest sounds of her movements. The darkness can't stop her uncanny sense of direction and position, and she's had enough time to roughly map out the town in her head.
    Last edited by Beans; 2019-03-25 at 08:54 AM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

1 dot stunt, 8 sux (9-1 for pitch darkness)

Damson is unseen, unheard and unsmelled as she stalks though the night. Her target does not notice her approach.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Damson creeps to the temple, seeking to make her way inside and find a fitting place to deposit the letter.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

She sees a makeshift alter draped in silks. On it are various offerings, which she can add the letter to. She may leave unnoticed.

The next day you see the God's priests adorning several of the abandoned houses in similar silks as the altar. Only one however has them over the doorway and you reasonably deduce that he has accepted your meeting and this is the location.

------
    To save time, social or investigation rolls will determine that the Priest's are sincerely preparing for their God to manifest, though they don't know the purpose. Nobody really takes an interest though people do drop flowers and small tokens as offerings.

Assuming you go (feel free to leave him hanging if you like), you find the house empty with light incense smoking in a corner.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2019-04-03 at 02:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sentinal notices a Guild merchant looking at the house adorned in silk, but he doesn't appear to be actively spying. Curious rather than malicious, whilst drinking with friends.

As midnight approaches the shadows in the room begin to move as if flickering in the wind. They move silently and begin to swirl together near the door to the main room of the house, whereupon Sevultis appears. He is taller than you, maybe 8ft. He resembles a man with shaggy hair swaddling an unseen infant, though he lacks legs - from his waist down are tree branches that twist together and end in a single point some 2ft behind him. He appears to be floating in the dark room, but those who can make (Perception+Awareness, dif 2) will notice eight shadow emerging from his back, spidery legs ending in needle points that extend to the floor and a nearby wall, holding him up.

Two wood elementals also materialise in a rush of leaves and grass, one a small humanoid wearing green leaves and what appears to be a gooseberry bush with a face. The humanoid one speaks first.

Our gracious hosts, may I present the Lord of Momaht; the God Sevultis, who would hear your request.

---
    When you have spent essence please track current/max essence and active effects in your posts until the end of the scene or whenever it stops being relevant.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2019-03-25 at 02:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Perception check, since you ask: (4d10)[1][10][6][10](27) Edit: Huh, I actually succeeded. Doesn't change any of Lien's actions, however.

Lien bows before the God and places her offering before him. [COLOR="#0000FF"]"Worshipful Sevultis, we humbly thank you for gracing us with your presence. I am Lien, late of the House of Azara."[/colour] She rises and gestures towards the other members of the Circle, indicating with her eyes to bow in turn.

"I have the honour to present my friends and compatriots: The All-Encompassing Sentinel, The Librarian of Creation, and lastly Damson Blossom, who penned our letter to you. I hope it pleased Your Worship."

"We come before you for three reasons. Firstly, to thank you and your people for your hospitality. While we have not been in Momaht long, and our arrival here was hardly in auspicious circumstances, it has nonetheless been shelter and comfort to us. A kinder village I have never known." (Lien fails to note that the list of villages she has known is not very long.)

"Secondly, we wish to offer our condolences. The recent days have seen Your Worship's domain cruelly treated by outsiders - and not merely by renegades, but those who claimed they were here to 'protect' it. We mourn these travesties, and would assure you we had no part in them.

"Finally, we wish to both ask your aid and offer ours to Your Worship. Those who unjustly imprisoned us in the Opaque Lotus are the same that are ultimately responsible for the murder of your people and the outrage of your altar. We would see their false justice repaid with true, and to prevent a similar fate befalling either ourselves or others. We humbly ask your aid in doing so."
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-03-25 at 03:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

I'm not sure whether that would be more properly treated as an Instill (building or increasing a negative intimacy towards the Wyld Hunt) or a Persuade (playing on a presumed existing such intimacy as well as the tie built earlier to immediately persuade him to aid). Regardless, I'm using a three dice excellency (discounted to cost 2 thanks to Harmonious Presence Meditation), Masterful Performance Exercise (discounted to 1 due to same) and Impassioned Orator Technique (costs 1), for a total of 4 motes expended from peripheral.

Base roll is 17 dice (5 Charisma + 5 Performance + 1 Speciality + 3 HPM + 3 excellency) with one automatic success. Double 9s, reroll 1s until they fail to appear. 1s are also unavailable for any interfering magic, if relevant.

Base Roll: (17d10)[4][6][9][2][4][3][9][4][7][4][6][8][1][3][8][2][7](87)

Stunt die if applicable: (3d10)[9][6][8](23)

Appearance if applicable: (4d10)[6][4][7][4](21)

Rerolls (same procedure as Beans used): (17d10)[6][5][7][9][3][9][10][7][5][8][8][9][10][7][2][7][1](113)

Peripheral: 17/33 (12 committed)
    Personal: 13/13
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-03-25 at 03:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sevultis tips himself forward into a bow and breathes deeply.

It is rare that a newcomer can so easily judge my moods, I applaud your wisdom Damson Blossom, and appreciate your kind words. I love this place and I love my people. The death and destruction that rained upon it of late caused me deep sorrow. But, I am afraid that your words, however sweet, do not console me.

The Lotus is a prison, and it's jailers I have known for ages and I find them to be righteous. You flee them and seek my aid in vengeance, but why would I do this? To oppose the Immaculate Order would only bring further pain to my people, no?

------------------
    1 die stunt, 11 sux. Sevultis is not Instilled.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2019-03-25 at 03:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls: Perception and also Read Intentions
    Show
    Perception + Awareness (6d10)[2][7][5][7][8][8](37)
    Read Intentions, Perception 3 + Socialize 3, 2m on excellency. Trying to determine his feelings on the Immaculate Order.
    (6d10)[9][9][7][5][8][3](41) + 1 autosux
    Stunt dice if applicable
    (2d10)[4][7](11)

Motes: 13/13 | 25/27 (4c)
    Damson nods as he acknowledges her... but he's resisting Lien's words. Damn convincing ones to boot. What's the angle here? Her face is impassive as her cool eyes scan the god's face. Feeding a drip of essence into her system, she catches on his mention of the Order. Just how does he feel about the mother-butchering fanatics, then?

All the while, the Azure Dragon is silent as snowfall among her companions.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

1 die stunt, 4 sux.
    Result of Read Intentions sent in Discord PM.