New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: The Nexus & City of Seven Seraphs - A planar metropolis with a new veilweaving cl

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    The ability is representative of the nexus's ability to hide exploitable clauses in their contract or manipulate fundamental forces that give her broad authority over her contractees. Unlike a devil, the nexus has the advantage of being a mortal, which allows her to do things with their devilish power that a devil couldn't. This is also part of why the creature gains a Will save against the effect, which would not be necessary if they knew for certain that such a thing could happen when the contract was signed. If the soul-claiming death were explicitly stated as part of the contract when it was signed, there would be no need for a Will save as the creature would have already knowlingly and willingly accepted the arrangement.
    I can see that from a lore perspective, but that doesn't redeem the ability, to my way of thinking. You can get this as a 12th level character so it's roughly equivalent to a 6-7th level spell, so probably a DC 26-32 Knowledge arcana check to know about. In a setting where Akashic abilities are rare that's pretty obscure, so you could get away with it for a while, but in a place where they are common it would be not just common knowledge but an idiom "Brogar? He's so dumb he'd sign a contract with a Nexus." More importantly as a subversion of the regular Devilish power, use of this ability would tick off every single extraplanar power that is either Good or Lawful. Making enemies out of 5-6 of the 9 outer planar types is not generally a great career move. Doing this too many times is just asking for a visit from an Inevitable hit squad, or an audit from Asmodeus's accounting department.

*shrug* Obviously I don't expect the book to be changed just to suit my tastes, but if I were running a game with a Nexus, the ability would be altered to allow claiming the soul to happen as a result of the second party trying to break or cheat the contract, or substitute in any lesser penalty the Nexus cares to write up. And if I were running one with a LE bent, I'd ask the Gm to allow the same change.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Nexus & City of Seven Seraphs - A planar metropolis with a new veilweaving cl

Quote Originally Posted by Andor13 View Post
    I can see that from a lore perspective, but that doesn't redeem the ability, to my way of thinking. You can get this as a 12th level character so it's roughly equivalent to a 6-7th level spell, so probably a DC 26-32 Knowledge arcana check to know about. In a setting where Akashic abilities are rare that's pretty obscure, so you could get away with it for a while, but in a place where they are common it would be not just common knowledge but an idiom "Brogar? He's so dumb he'd sign a contract with a Nexus." More importantly as a subversion of the regular Devilish power, use of this ability would tick off every single extraplanar power that is either Good or Lawful. Making enemies out of 5-6 of the 9 outer planar types is not generally a great career move. Doing this too many times is just asking for a visit from an Inevitable hit squad, or an audit from Asmodeus's accounting department.

*shrug* Obviously I don't expect the book to be changed just to suit my tastes, but if I were running a game with a Nexus, the ability would be altered to allow claiming the soul to happen as a result of the second party trying to break or cheat the contract, or substitute in any lesser penalty the Nexus cares to write up. And if I were running one with a LE bent, I'd ask the Gm to allow the same change.
    asmodeus would definetly want to talk with pc with decent chance on both dead of pc or spot on hells highest circle as with good rolls conning asmodeus would be impresive in pcs resume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #363

PirateGuy

So I haven’t had as much time as I’d like to pour over the alpha release, in part because something this big doesn’t peruse well on the phone. In fact, it’s made me look forward to holding the hard copy that much more. With that in mind, I must say the new vizier, guru, and daevic options look really good. I’ll probably change the guru I’ve been working on to a Shanti.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NomGarret View Post
    So I haven’t had as much time as I’d like to pour over the alpha release, in part because something this big doesn’t peruse well on the phone. In fact, it’s made me look forward to holding the hard copy that much more. With that in mind, I must say the new vizier, guru, and daevic options look really good. I’ll probably change the guru I’ve been working on to a Shanti.
    Thank you! Honestly, the vizier's Scholar mystic attunement is one I wish I'd written way back in Akashic Mysteries and have been excited to play with more. The daevic passion I was less sure about just because of how wordy the mechanics had to be (I had originally planned two new paths for each of the OG akashic classes, but then the Knowledge passion took up two full pages of text), but I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

Glad you like the Shanti! I'd been thinking about the guru for a long time and one thing I was never fully happy about was how it always does the peacekeeper role by fighting and dealing nonlethal damage. Since Co7S provides a weirder and wider setting to play with, I thought it might be fun to see how the guru could play if I leaned harder into the idea of an adventuring pacifist.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Hey so I missed the. Kickstarter, is there any way I can still get in on this?

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

You can preorder the book on Backerkit, but I don't know if that will get you access to the current alpha draft or not.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2019-01-01 at 09:08 AM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    You can preorder the book on Backerkit, but I don't know if that will get you access to the current alpha draft or not.
    Probably not, but hey, at least I'd get the finished product?

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

The book is looking amazing. This is like the most cracked-out kitchen sink hombrew campaign ever made, seemingly penned by some 'beautiful mind' DM and given structure and order by an editor with the apparent patience of Job. In case it isn't clear, this is high praise. Seeing half of my DriveThruPRG library actually get used in a single book is glorious. So happy that I jumped on board for this.

I haven't been able to do a full review of the book yet (this is a lot of material) but I did notice a couple of things that need some sorting out. The Aligned Class ability of the Trinity Knight p.219 needs to have references to Trinity Angel replaced. Trinity Angel references the Pilot and Merge conjuration talents from Spheres of Power, but these were unfortunately cut from the Conjuration Handbook and so do not actually exist anymore. Either all reference to them should be removed from the class or you'll need to squeeze them in somewhere (I'd suggest even sacrificing an art asset to get it in if you can't find space anywhere else).

Also, what happened to the Aberrant Aegis? An expanded and revised Aberrant was one of the things that sold me on backing the project in the first place and supporting content was noticeably absent. Was the material cut for space? Will it see a separate release? Was it an initial idea that never got fleshed out? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Firbolg in the Playground

Loving this book. Though I am abit confused why the outsider races lose the native subtype in some circumstances? Native subtype isn't contextual like the extraplanar subtype. It'd be weird if you suddenly don't have to eat or sleep just because you traveled to a different plane, and that you suddenly can't be resurrected just because you went into the shadow plane.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

10. - Top - End - #370
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Loving this book. Though I am abit confused why the outsider races lose the native subtype in some circumstances? Native subtype isn't contextual like the extraplanar subtype. It'd be weird if you suddenly don't have to eat or sleep just because you traveled to a different plane, and that you suddenly can't be resurrected just because you went into the shadow plane.
    Native subtype doesn't make you have to eat and sleep last i recall.

Native has always been contextual since 3.5

It means you are on your home plane (and thus cannot be Dismissed/Banished)

11. - Top - End - #371
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAir View Post
    Native subtype doesn't make you have to eat and sleep last i recall.

Native has always been contextual since 3.5

It means you are on your home plane (and thus cannot be Dismissed/Banished)
    No. Native subtype states than an outsider with it does need to eat and sleep. Native has never been contextual, you are thinking of the extraplanar subtype, a subtype that creatures get for being on a different plane from their native one (both subtypes using the term native in their description is the source of the . You can only be dismissed/banished/called if you are an extraplanar creature. The native subtype is an intrinsic quality for the outsider indicating it's partially material plane or mortal nature to it's body and the fact that it has a duality between it's soul and it's body that allows it to be resurrected unlike a standard outsider.
    Spoiler: Relevant Type/Subtype Info
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider Traits
    Unlike most living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don't work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraplanar
    This subtype is applied to any creature when it is on a plane other than its native plane. A creature that travels the planes can gain or lose this subtype as it goes from plane to plane. Monster entries assume that encounters with creatures take place on the Material Plane, and every creature whose native plane is not the Material Plane has the extraplanar subtype (but would not have it when on its home plane). Every extraplanar creature in this book has a home plane mentioned in its description. Creatures not labeled as extraplanar are natives of the Material Plane, and they gain the extraplanar subtype if they leave the Material Plane. No creature has the extraplanar subtype when it is on a transitive plane, such as the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, or the Plane of Shadow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Native
    This subtype is applied only to outsiders. These creatures have mortal ancestors or a strong connection to the Material Plane and can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Creatures with this subtype are native to the Material Plane. Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders need to eat and sleep.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2019-01-03 at 07:25 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    No. Native subtype states than an outsider with it does need to eat and sleep. Native has never been contextual, you are thinking of the extraplanar subtype, a subtype that creatures get for being on a different plane from their native one (both subtypes using the term native in their description is the source of the . You can only be dismissed/banished/called if you are an extraplanar creature. The native subtype is an intrinsic quality for the outsider indicating it's partially material plane or mortal nature to it's body and the fact that it has a duality between it's soul and it's body that allows it to be resurrected unlike a standard outsider.
    Whoops my bad, I mis-remembered. Apologies.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

seven city alpha proof, is there any way you can talk to them about adding an index of what the diffrent abreviated book titles mean in the final release, for the ones among us who do not know every book and abbriviation for said books
    I Am A Neutral Good Human Druid/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength 10
    Dexterity 12
    Constitution 13
    Intelligence 16
    Wisdom 15
    Charisma 10

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by singera View Post
    seven city alpha proof, is there any way you can talk to them about adding an index of what the diffrent abreviated book titles mean in the final release, for the ones among us who do not know every book and abbriviation for said books
    I'll pass that along.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Halfling in the Playground

So, going through the Alpha, which I’ve been enjoying quite a bit, I was wondering where the Akashic race stuff is? I feel like I remember there being mention of Akashic races being included in the book? Am I mistaken, or were they moved to this Akashic Realms I’m hearing about, or am I missing something?

And, on a similar topic, what sort of time table are we looking at for this Akashic Realms release[s?]? Obviously nothing is set in stone, I’d just like to know if I should be keeping and eye out soon or if I should focus on what’s out now and check back in later. All this stuff is so great btw, keep up the good work!

Edit: oh, and any chance of favored class bonuses for the Zodiac for races from Co7S?
    Last edited by Biapolis; 2019-01-14 at 01:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biapolis View Post
    So, going through the Alpha, which I’ve been enjoying quite a bit, I was wondering where the Akashic race stuff is? I feel like I remember there being mention of Akashic races being included in the book? Am I mistaken, or were they moved to this Akashic Realms I’m hearing about, or am I missing something?
    I have not had the opportunity to verify, but the new planar races had a bunch of akashic options, so I'm not sure what's going on if those are missing.

And, on a similar topic, what sort of time table are we looking at for this Akashic Realms release[s?]? Obviously nothing is set in stone, I’d just like to know if I should be keeping and eye out soon or if I should focus on what’s out now and check back in later. All this stuff is so great btw, keep up the good work!
    I just sent the last revisions of the main draft off to Christen for review. Not certain what/when next steps will be yet, but I'll keep you in the loop. I wouldn't expect too much movement on it until after the next Co7S update since I doubt Christen will want to divert layout resources away from the big book at this point in time.

Edit: oh, and any chance of favored class bonuses for the Zodiac for races from Co7S?
    Christen mentioned to me the other day that he's had a lot of inquiries and feedback related to zodiac support being added to Co7S, so I anticipate something along these lines being available in the final version but I don't know the specifics of what he's working on.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2019-01-15 at 12:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

I have not had the opportunity to verify, but the new planar traces had a bunch of akashic options, so I'm not sure what's going on if those are missing.
    Planar trace? I don't recall seeing anything by that name in the alpha copy, but maybe that's an old internal name for something else now?

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Planar trace? I don't recall seeing anything by that name in the alpha copy, but maybe that's an old internal name for something else now?
    Okay i want to joke but i dont have solid joke. Is there bard in here with ranks in perform comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Halfling in the Playground

A lot of good stuff.
    I just did a quick word search for both “akash” [to catch both Akashic and Akasha] and “essence” in the races section of the Alpha, and all that popped up was a few fluff mentions and favored class bonuses. *shrugs*

But ya, other than that sounds good! I really can’t complain, this is an amazing product, hope you guys keep it up.

20. - Top - End - #380

PirateGuy

Off the top of my head there is the Rhyzala Radiant archetype that affects everything it has coated in its pollen cloud.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NomGarret View Post
    Off the top of my head there is the Rhyzala Radiant archetype that affects everything it has coated in its pollen cloud.
    In discussing the matter, it sounds like pretty much all of the races came in significantly over word count and certain mechanics were shifted from being alternate racial traits to being more general feats, traits, or shunted into racial archetypes where there was more room for the mechanics.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Yeah, I caught this one a while back. It now reads- "[...] Alternatively, you can make a melee touch attack against a creature, forcing them to succeed on a Fortitude saving throw or suffer 1 point of Constitution damage; if the Hit Dice of a target who fails their saving throw are equal to or greater than your own, this attack heals you for 5 hit points ."
    This sort of thing has always grated on me a bit. I know that it is an adjustment to counter the bag-of-rats problem but I think that such things swing the pendulum too far and create more problems by cutting out a ridiculously large swath of targets. Any chance of getting this sort of thing changed to, "if the Hit Dice of a target who fails their saving throw are equal to or greater than half your own", instead? Allows the ability to be used on most mooks, or to have the town mayor make a sacrifice to heal a battered hero before a final battle. It would provide interesting options while still eliminating most abuse.

Thoughts?
    I think that we can work with that suggestion, yeah. Hit Die equal to or greater than half tracks with other mechanics like gunslinger grit and should still be a reasonable limitation.
    This seems to have been overlooked for Vanth’s Eyes and Blackened Pitchfork. Just a reminder that the addition of a single word (having no effect on layout) makes these abilities actually useful instead of only having a chance to trigger on the BBEG.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey Summoner's Call for the Cavalier Archetype still has the Psion Text. Page 215.

EDIT: Also Trinity Warrior may apply to Spheres of Power as currently worded. That should probably have it's implications considered.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2019-01-19 at 02:59 AM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Pinged Christen on both of these, thanks for looking out everyone!

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of the Trinity content, I have realized that neither class actually requires you to have three classes to enter. Since the aligned class features they possess explicitly refer to three classes, that seems like an oversight.

EDIT: Also the Trinity Mage doesn't have any write up yet, which may just be alpha material. The Sapphire Savior doesn't qualify for Trinity Angel, as Radiant 1 doesn't provide the ability to bind veils to the hand or feet chakras. Trinity Warrior's aligned class feature references the Trinity Angel rather than Trinity Warrior.

EDIT 2: I also see no Akashic Racial content.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2019-01-20 at 02:14 AM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    EDIT: Also the Trinity Mage doesn't have any write up yet, which may just be alpha material.
    Trinity Mage is actually from Book of Beyond: Liminal Power.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Trinity Mage is actually from Book of Beyond: Liminal Power.
    Ah, neat!

In other news, the Merge and Pilot talents were axed from the final version of the Conjuration Handbook, so that should be addressed, as it is a path into Trinity Angel.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2019-01-20 at 04:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

In other news, the Merge and Pilot talents were axed from the final version of the Conjuration Handbook, so that should be addressed, as it is a path into Trinity Angel.
    Yup, mentioned further up on the page but doesn't look like it's been addressed/acknowledged so worth a reminder.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

To any of you who have the necros book, might wanna look at and clerify what the rhyzala favored bonus does.. I think it gives my undead extra 5 foot steps.. but I'm not sure
    I Am A Neutral Good Human Druid/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength 10
    Dexterity 12
    Constitution 13
    Intelligence 16
    Wisdom 15
    Charisma 10

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, mentioned further up on the page but doesn't look like it's been addressed/acknowledged so worth a reminder.
    I believe Christen is aware of these and they'll be fixed for the next update, but I'll ping him again just in case.

EDIT 2: I also see no Akashic Racial content.
    I was talking to Christen about this the other day, and my current understanding is that during development all of the races were fairly loaded with options and the development team felt that most of the akashic alternate racial options were generally doing things that could be done more efficiently (from a page count perspective) through FCBs, feats, racial archetypes, and other options available in parts of the book that had more room and flexibility.

I'm working on some new alternate racial traits for the planar races and additional akashic races that are more in line with the akashic races from Akashic Mysteries, but given that Co7S is already bigger than the CRB, I suspect these will appear in a future release.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2019-01-21 at 05:44 PM.