New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: If you were turned into a monster, what monster whould you like to be turned intr

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    Take their virgin daughter as well and maybe their gold.
    That just seems like a bad approach to talk to women, really. I doubt she's going to be in the mood to play any video games after murdering her family for gold they don't possess. And she'd be like, 12. This also seems like a very involved process just to get some potato chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: If you were turned into a monster, what monster whould you like to be turned intr

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    That just seems like a bad approach to talk to women, really. I doubt she's going to be in the mood to play any video games after murdering her family for gold they don't possess. And she'd be like, 12. This also seems like a very involved process just to get some potato chips.
    No one said anything about killing.

Ok, maybe you could eat them but I never specifically said that so I dunno where you took that idea.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-08-30 at 08:18 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

A werewolf or some other were-beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Man View Post
    Shapeshifters: Normally they are people who have low self esteem
    Yes, probably.

Also, I just like cuddly furry animals.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

A doppelganger, at least the D&D kind. Yes, I do have low self-esteem, but it's also about being genderfluid and wanting a body that fits who I am from moment to moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sobol View Post
    I question your definition of 'cuddly' if you think that a murderous rage-fuelled Lycanthrope somehow qualifies. Also, you'd probably make any pet you possess end up like Goku's grandfather, so I can see some flaws with this plan.

I guess you could go with the sexy modern lycanthrope who has more control over themselves, but that point you might as well consider the Twilight Vampire a mythological creature. Through I guess Twilight Vampires could vampirize other people and then harvest their now gem-like organs, so there's something.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #66

Yeah nothing says cuddling like a werewolf:

I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

What's the fun in that? If you are a monster why live as a human? If we have to be a monster, BE A MONSTER! Mystique would be a more appropriate comparison since you won't have to kill anyone to assume their form
    Monsters are generally predators, and that's about it. Like I'd get bored of killing people and pillaging villages pretty quickly. A shapeshifting creature could infiltrate the white house then go home and eat with it's human family. Perhaps a superhero is a better yet analogy, or super villain.
    The camel has a single hump; The dromedary, two;
    Or else the other way around, I'm never sure. Are you?

I am a self proclaimed map maker.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Just take it! You are a F-ing dragon!

Take their virgin daughter as well and maybe their gold.
    1stly, if you go around killing people the police, the national guard, and then the army/air force are going to go after you pretty quickly, and I don't think there's much even a dragon could do against heat-seeking missiles (I'm sure using your fire breath is a GREAT idea) and modern anti-aircraft weaponry without changing shape to hide.

2ndly, you're going to get lonely. I think that if I were a dragon, I'd still want friends, and after the 4th "yes, I am an incredibly powerful dragon, no you don't need counseling" conversation, having those tends to get pretty boring, so you'd want to only have those talks with your really close pals and keep the other folks in the dark.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-08-31 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    1stly, if you go around killing people the police, the national guard, and then the army/air force are going to go after you pretty quickly, and I don't think there's much even a dragon could do against heat-seeking missiles (I'm sure using your fire breath is a GREAT idea) and modern anti-aircraft weaponry without changing shape to hide.
    And then the military brings out the nukes...And you're either dead, or have leveled up to Godzilla. Still not getting laid, however.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

We mean D&D monsters right?

Mine would either be a Blue Dragon or a Weretiger.

Blue Dragons have always appealed to me. (Major bonus: electricity~) Also, my favorite color. I could live with that.

Weretigers are odd because I really don't care for cats (more of a dog person) but I don't like the whole stigma of werewolves since Twilight. Plus, in hybrid form I'm like a rakshasa without the backwards hands.

I currently have a weretiger barbarian in a friend's campaign (technically she's Mooncursed and it's Pathfinder so....) but I just love turning into a hybrid beast and wrecking face!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

2ndly, you're going to get lonely. I think that if I were a dragon, I'd still want friends, and after the 4th "yes, I am an incredibly powerful dragon, no you don't need counseling" conversation, having those tends to get pretty boring, so you'd want to only have those talks with your really close pals and keep the other folks in the dark.
    Yeah you could. Incorporeal through shapechange (there is no reason that a dragon with access to that spell shouldn't take it). They could drop nukes and it wouldn't matter. That damage isn't magical.

The second part is the one that you should worry about. Although there's probably some way around it.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Some sort of shapeshifter

because i'm insecure
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

modern lycanthrope who has more control over themselves
    That's not a "modern" werewolf, that's just a different kind of werewolf. See "Bisclavret" ("The Werewolf") by Marie de France, for example (12th century). Or there's a very popular helpful and sympathetic character in Russian folklore - a wolf who has perfect control over himself and can transform into a human or into another animal:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsarev..._the_Gray_Wolf

Yeah nothing says cuddling like a werewolf
    Yeah. Glad to find someone who understands me! :)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

Beorn. Because he's Beorn.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Gold Dragon -- provided we can find some way to invite a teacup large enough for dragon hands to hold, a computer terminal and an xbox controller suitable for same.

If I can polymorph to human form, it's all good. Long life and the ability to commute by flying, as well as the privileges that come with being human.

Besides, I want to take my wife, drop by AuthorGirls castle and pay a visit. You can't sit in a comfy chair, or sip fine coffee, or read books in a parlor, easily in dragon form.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I often ask this question to my friends and you can tell a lot about their personalities by their answer:

1- Shapeshifters: Normally they are people who have low self esteem and wanted to be able to be someone else.

2- Dragon: People who feel weak and want to have a power fantasy.

3- sex demons: Sexually repressed people or perves.

4- Imortal creatures: People who don't deal well with their own mortality.

5- Something else: Creative people with funny and witty ideas.

I would probably be a wind elemental or spirit, be able to be free and go anywhere.
    My thought process was more like: what would allow me to pretty much live my life but with bonuses. So, doppleganger was my first thought. Then dragons came up and that's just doppleganger ++++ for my purposes. I can't imagine I'd ever need to fight an army or anything like that but the lifespan, bonus stats and magic would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

In the real world, as many have mentioned before, a shapeshifter would allow you to still function in society, though being a vampire still has certain allure.

In D&D, a Lich. Would probably go the Orochimaru route and keep switching bodies once the one I have has decayed too much. Maybe build an undead-powered super-computer because I'm a wizard and I don't have a sense of right or wrong.

In OWoD, a Ventrue with maxed Domination or a Mage with spheres of Time and Cardinal, allowing me to travel through space and time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Halfling in the Playground

I would like to be a skeleton, but with that special effect form Mario, castlevania and dark souls that no matter how many times I'm broken destroyed or separated I will always come back and rebuild myself. Rather than serving an evil wizard or hunting humans to devour the flesh I would just focus on my research, being able to read and study without my fleshy bit distractions such as eating and sleeping sounds like a great time.

Bonus points I would look metal as hell.

People who are saying Lich are forgetting the ritual to become one is like extremely evil.

19. - Top - End - #79

I often ask this question to my friends and you can tell a lot about their personalities by their answer:

1- Shapeshifters: Normally they are people who have low self esteem and wanted to be able to be someone else.

I would probably be a wind elemental or spirit, be able to be free and go anywhere.
    6- People who make lists like this: Judgmental jerks.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post

I actually saw the movie.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

That's not a "modern" werewolf, that's just a different kind of werewolf. See "Bisclavret" ("The Werewolf") by Marie de France, for example (12th century).
    Baron Bisclarvet couldn't controll his shapeshifting, and had to rely on people not stealing his clothes. I wouldn't trust people not to steal a half-eaten sandwich! He also got cornered by dogs, so he's obviously not a superpowered werewolf. Overall, very weak, 2/10 would not recommend.

The second story just appears to be a shapeshifitng wolf, and while shapeshifting is nifty, the wolf doesn't really display any powers or abilities other then looking like a pretty woman. I mean, for me, that'd be a step up in the looks department, but I still feel as if something is lacking.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

so he's obviously not a superpowered werewolf
    But not "a murderous rage-fuelled Lycanthrope" either.

the wolf doesn't really display any powers or abilities other then looking like a pretty woman
    In the most well-known version of the tale - a poetical 19th century retelling by Vasily Zhukovsky - it is stated that the Gray Wolf knows mathematics and teaches it to the children of Ivan and Helen when all the good characters live happily ever after (he also teaches them to read and write, tells stories to the younger ones and gives them useful advice).

I personally think knowing mathematics is a pretty cool superpower for a shapeshifting fairy-tale wolf.
    Last edited by Sobol; 2017-08-31 at 02:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

But I didn't pick the demon! BTW, only people with SEVERE halitosis would pick a wind spirit. Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Dromedary View Post
    I'd definitely go with a monster that can assume the shape of a human or at least isn't that far from looking like one. Some crazy powerful dragon or gargantuan monster is tempting, but you would be the only one, you wouldn't have companionship. But if I could be a doppleganger or something, I could maintain my lifestyle when I wanted, but also be whoever I felt like. I'd basically be Arya Stark.
    It's funny, but of all mythical/fantasy literature, dragons are probably the preferred "in-humanoid race" to spawn hybrids. Goblinoids and faerie are probably the closest second choice.

I think there might be a few advantages to pretending to be human or being able to take on human form. I just don't think the local grocery store is going to sell a dragon potato chips.
    If he were to appear at my store, I would sell a dragon anything he wants. Yes, he can take my daughter too... for a price

That's when you conquer them before they get out of the Iron Age, you silly. Plant the seeds of your Eternal Empire early on, buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    My thought process was more like: what would allow me to pretty much live my life but with bonuses. So, doppleganger was my first thought. Then dragons came up and that's just doppleganger ++++ for my purposes. I can't imagine I'd ever need to fight an army or anything like that but the lifespan, bonus stats and magic would be nice.
    That makes sense, since you are a insecure person who also feels weak. You're not.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Either a Cyberzombie, a la shadowrun. Or a high force free spirit. Also A La shadowrun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Forgetting a key point - Androids have no ki signature, making them virtually impossible for certain other artificial lifeforms to track. Also, if you're becoming an Android in this world, there are no Saiyans, no Namekians, and definitely nobody from the Frost Planet - so there's no way to hybridize all of that DNA into an Imperfect Cell.

So, yeah. Pretty much no drawbacks whatsoever. And given that the Androids canonically stopped multiple Super Saiyans, nobody to stop you. Have fun with that.
    Being a Frieza-race (or Arcosian, Frost Demon, whatever you want to call them) wouldn't be too bad either. Naturally powerful, presumably long lived, and robust enough to live in the vacuum of space and with half your body missing. Yeah, Androids have a more powerful baseline and unlimited energy, but Frieza-bros can apparently rival the gods with only a minimal amount of hard work (and be considered strongest in the universe for who knows how long by just sitting on their hands all day), so that's neat.

RE: Main topic, definitely some kind of shapeshifter. Preferably one with no hard coded limits and particularly partial shapeshifting. I want to be able to do everything from turn into other people and animals to making me my ideal self (complete with superhuman additions, enhanced eyesight and waterbreathing, that kinda thing) to turning my hands into a pair of pliers when I need them. I'm talkin' Alex Mercer meets Doppelganger meets Animorph, I want the whole shebang.

For convenience purposes, not much beats a true shapeshifter like that.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

But not "a murderous rage-fuelled Lycanthrope" either.
    That's very true, but I'd like an option between 'murderous' and 'lame'. That might be rarer to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Being a Frieza-race (or Arcosian, Frost Demon, whatever you want to call them) wouldn't be too bad either. Naturally powerful, presumably long lived, and robust enough to live in the vacuum of space and with half your body missing.
    I dunno. Freiza's race is never mentioned to have any females, so does that mean you get to fill in the blanks, or it's left to random chance or what when there's information missing regarding the race? If it works on Genie Logic, then you'll become of those guys just to find out they're entirely asexual which for most people, would suck.

Becoming a Doppelganger sounds pretty awesome simply because you could mimic people and play all sorts of jokes on people.

28. - Top - End - #88

@People saying Shapeshifter.

Don't Shapeshifters turn back to their original forms if they get knocked out or are sleeping?

I can only imagine you getting drunk passing out and turnign intro this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Or sleeping after an orgasm and the girl that is whith you freaking out.

Wow, your life must be extremely sad and boring for you to want the freedom to roam around freely so badly.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-08-31 at 06:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

@People saying Shapeshifter.

Don't Shapeshifters turn back to their original forms if they get knocked out or are sleeping?
    Not necessarily. I'd say folklore and fantasy is about 50/50 split on that.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Not necessarily. I'd say folklore and fantasy is about 50/50 split on that.
    Really? Weird every time I see a shapeshifter being knocked out in media they always return to their original self, I can't think of one exempla where this is not the case.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-08-31 at 06:50 PM.