New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Parody Names for government organizations in criminal sandbox games

So I've got a criminal sandbox game I'm about to playtest over on rpol.net. It's kind of based on a mix of GTA and Saints Row. Anyway, if it's gonna be a criminal sandbox, I need some law enforcement (or other federal) agencies. I have a few examples below, but if you come up with something that particularly grabs you, go for it (Although if the acronym is a dirty word, just use the full title of the organization rather than spelling out the acronym):
    BODI- Bureau of Domestic Intelligence (FBI)
    CIA- None yet, big part of why I'm asking here.
    DAB- Drug Authority Bureau (DEA)
    DOPE- Drug Observation Prevention and Enforcement (DEA)
    FATE- Bureau of Firearms, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Explosives (ATF)
    NICE- Bureau of National Immigrant Crime Enforcement (ICE)
    ACRONYM REDACTED- Super Human Investigation Teams (games featuring Powers only)
    STACD- Special Tactical Anti-Crime Division (National Guard or Paramilitary)
    TNA- Terrorist Neutralization Agency (Department of Homeland Security)
    ACRONYM REDACTED- Terrorist Weapon Appropriation Team (TSA)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Parody Names for government organizations in criminal sandbox games

Other bases to consider:
    Domestic Intelligence: Many nations do not roll domestic intelligence and the national police into one the way the FBI does.

State/Province/Canton Police forces/Drug teams: A good way of preventing seeming duplication of roles by placing them in a hierarchy.

Like the above having city police squads with special names is a way to engage the players at all levels. To aid with I recommend a city name that lends itself to the lead off to acronyms. Consonant-vowel dual parters are plus for this.

But for CIA proxy:
    NAIA - National Agency for Intelligence Affairs
    SAD - Secret Affairs Bureau
    SID - Special Intelligence Department

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

FAST - Foreign Area Surveillance and Tracking (NSA)

FIB - Foreign Intelligence Bureau (CIA)
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    FIB - Foreign Intelligence Bureau (CIA)
    That's not bad, but it runs into the problem of being the acronym GTA uses for the FBI.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Other bases to consider:
    But for CIA proxy:
    NAIA - National Agency for Intelligence Affairs
    SAD - Secret Affairs Bureau
    SID - Special Intelligence Department
    I actually really like some of these. Think you meant SAB for that one. Although if I go 4 letters, I might try something with SAID. Can't quite figure out how to get it working right. If we can get a good Double Entendre like I did with the redacted acronyms that's ideal, but not strictly necessary. MI6 is A.K.A. SIS apparently, so I might not be able to use that.

EDIT: I stumbled on Secret Affairs Investigation Department while thinking about Foreign Affairs Investigation Department.
    Last edited by steelsmiter; 2017-08-26 at 08:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DOWN - Department Of Wilderness and Nature (National Park Service)
    BILE - Bureau of Island and Litoral Enforcement (Coast Guard)

Related, some of these probably get insulting street names that are alternate words for their acronyms. For example:
    BODI - Bureau Of Dumbasses and Idiots
    DAB - Drug Abundancy Bureau
    DAB - Department of A-holes and Buffoons

Or, on second thought, let the players come up with most of these.

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    Think you meant SAB for that one.
    Or "Secret Affairs Department" for the name.
    Last edited by jqavins; 2017-08-27 at 02:44 PM.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

You need an environmental organization, too. My first thought was calling them VEGAN, but there's nothig good with V.

HIPPIES: Horticulture, Islands, Parks and Plantantation Industry Executive Supervision?

Clunky as hell. I'm bad at this.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You need an environmental organization, too. My first thought was calling them VEGAN, but there's nothig good with V.

HIPPIES: Horticulture, Islands, Parks and Plantantation Industry Executive Supervision?

Clunky as hell. I'm bad at this.
    You're right, I do need one or more of that sort of thing.

Maybe VEG of VEGAN could be the first 3 letters so that the organization acronym is VEGitation [Something] [Something]

Also for HIPPIES I like the HIPP start of that acronym, so maybe ES is Education Service?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

But you can also have fun with agent names. The agent of HIPPIES that PC's meet could be Agent Egan, Valerie Egan.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2017-08-28 at 01:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    But you can also have fun with agent names. The agent of HIPPIES that PC's meet could be Agent Egan, Valerie Egan.
    Sure, but getting bigger picture stuff nailed down first won't hurt.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Department of Undercover Monitoring and Beguilement (D.U.M.B)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Department of Underwater Monitoring and Prevention - DUMP
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Going off HIPPIES presented earlier I've thought on it a few days and came up with HIPIS (Horticulture, Island, and Park Integration Service).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

A Playtester suggested I go meta, and do an alternate reality gamergate, and it sparked me onto the idea of alternate names for the ESRB and MPAA ratings board. Anyone got any ideas for that?