New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite OOTS Character Tournament: #11 TARQUIN vs. #6 THE MONSTER

Tarquin has had the better story so far, is a better fleshed out character, and the MITD has too often been used as a vehicle for cringeworthy jokes for me to really warm to it.

Moreover, I'm a sucker for reparteee in dialogue and Tarquin's character has allowed the Giant to go all out on that front, so lest there be any doubt let it be known to all that world that Tarquin is my favourite of the two.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Easy: The Monster in the Darkness, not the monster burning slaves.

I mean, come on... We know the poor thing in the shadows does not eat children! I'm not sure the same holds true for Tarquin.

Plus, the coversations with our favorite Paladin were great for both O-Chul and the MitD

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I'm going with Tarquin. Good, unique villian who played his ark well.

I think this one is close, with the MitD currently leading Tarquin by only a single vote.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2017-08-28 at 07:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_McSurly View Post
    Well, these are two of my three favourite characters, and I love them both, but I think I'll vote Tarquin, seeing as how he doesn't seem to have much of a chance anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    I think this one is close, with the MitD currently leading Tarquin by only a single vote.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    It's almost as if voting for something solely so it has better numbers can end up making it win. Who knew?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's almost as if voting for something solely so it has better numbers can end up making it win. Who knew?
    And, given that I don't have a strong opinion between these two, and I would be happy with either of these characters winning the whole tournament, I'm happy that at least one of the match-ups is close enough to be exciting.
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

7. - Top - End - #37

Lizardfolk

Here's how to separate these two.

The next comic is a cutaway. It can either be of MitD being MitD, or Tarquin being Tarquin.
    I think we all know which one would catch less filler flak.

Mitd

Although if Tarquin gets knocked out, I suspect he'd portal into the forums, demand to be put in the top slot, all the posts about his character and story will elevate him to Divine Rank 0, Redcloak will turn up at the Godsmoot, both will vote for the world being destroyed making the OoTS completely irrelevant, Miko will come back, and the servers implode in a flurry of meta, the Internet will die, then the actual Gods will come down, fix all those problems, then shout ' THAT is what Deus ex Machina looks like', and life will return to normal.

I've been wrong in my guesses before though

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

My vote goes to MitD. In addition to just being a really funny character, I've really been enjoying his development after meeting O-Chul. Tarquin's a good character as well, but MitD remains my personal favorite (and admittedly the over-the-top fan gushing that Tarquin received early on in his arc may still be leaving a bad taste in my mouth).

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Monster-san.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Tarquin for the win.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

While a tough choice, and I enjoy what Rich did with Tarquin, today I will nod to

The Monster.

Part of it is the O-Chul connection, and part of it is something else.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #42
    Halfling in the Playground

Tarquin

He's a complete character, entertaining in his own twisted way, and of the two he's the one who makes sense. I'm not supporting the villain -- just acknowledging that he's a better written character.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

based on previous strips tarquin

based on the strip in the whole MITD

tarquin had his arc, he's done, finished, blown his load
    I'm betting he'll not apear again in the regular strips but rather as a sidequests for elan and haley after xykon and the snarl have been dealt with

the MITD's story is just starting though, his concious has just been awakened from years of slumber and he has realised that he might not be on the good side, what's going to become of him?

14. - Top - End - #44

The Monster in the Darkness has held the lead from the beginning, but it has been very close. Even now with only about a day left, victory is still within reach for Tarquin. But time is running out!

15 vs 2 Nods
    #6) The Monster in the Darkness 20
    #11) General Tarquin 17

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

For this whole duel to feel right, Tarquin need to take the lead only to be cut out by a poster named Elan in the last five minutes of the contest. He should be defeated, even in his own mind, but in the most dramatic way.
    Administrator of the DnD gaming server, Sea of Dragons: Moonsea - a Persistent World set in the Forgotten Realms that uses the Neverwinter Nights 2 game.

See what the server has to offer without leaving these boards! Sea of Dragons on OOTS Forum

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

That's surprisingly close.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by The Curt Jester View Post
    For this whole duel to feel right, Tarquin need to take the lead only to be cut out by a poster named Elan in the last five minutes of the contest. He should be defeated, even in his own mind, but in the most dramatic way.
    Let's deny him that satisfaction, shall we? Let us vote for The Monster in the Darkness and give him an overwhelming win against that overblown ego of Tarquin!

18. - Top - End - #48

RedWizardGuy

Tarqiun

MITD has so far only done some minor sabotage and he has been around since like the start...plus you know the mystery of what he is getting old.

19. - Top - End - #49

This poll is closed, the Monster in the Darkness wins and survives to face.... O-Chul in the second round.

I did not plan this! It's just how the numbers and seeding happened to fall.

15 vs 2 Nods
    #6) The Monster in the Darkness 21
    #11) General Tarquin 18
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-02 at 09:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    This poll is closed, the Monster in the Darkness wins and survives to face.... O-Chul in the second round.

I did not plan this! It's just how the numbers and seeding happened to fall.]
    "Just as planned..."
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

The Monster in the Darkness has held the lead from the beginning, but it has been very close. Even now with only about a day left, victory is still within reach for Tarquin. But time is running out!

15 vs 2 Nods
    #6) The Monster in the Darkness 20
    #11) General Tarquin 17
    Quote Originally Posted by skaddix View Post
    Tarqiun

MITD has so far only done some minor sabotage and he has been around since like the start...plus you know the mystery of what he is getting old.

I did not plan this! It's just how the numbers and seeding happened to fall.

15 vs 2 Nods
    #6) The Monster in the Darkness 21
    #11) General Tarquin 18
    Not that this is changing anything, but how happens that from 20/17 Tarquin gets a vote and they move to 21/18?

(In the case you have counted Sylan's last comment as a vote, he voted already in the previous page. All of this is useless here, but might work as a reminder about checking that people's comments are not taken in account as votes two or more times. )

On a side note, in the case of a tie, what does happen?

22. - Top - End - #52

When I went to do my final tally yesterday, I saw that the last vote I had tallied when I posted an update the day before was Concept's. Even though a_flemish_guy had posted about an hour before that, I hadn't seen it, and it hadn't been counted.

Usually when I post a tally, I say something like "this is the tally through so and so's vote" to avoid the possibility of confusion, but I had skipped it this time....

In the case of a tie I would most likely do "sudden death"... ie, the voting remains open until ONE more vote is received.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Monster may be my favorite character.

24. - Top - End - #54

voting is closed
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-07 at 02:06 PM.