New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside 46

1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 46

Bed of a Dead River
    Prof. Barron is not surprised by the sudden disappearance. He was expecting it. He turns and heads home to await the King in Rags in his dreams.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #512
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spaceship Landing
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    As I said, this situation warrants further investigation. As Ezra speaks, the quartet will come across something unexpected in their path. It's an old dirt road, clearly the worse for wear, but a road nonetheless. Ezra stops in the middle of it and looks to both sides, clearly too surprised to say anything.
    "Analysis: Paved dirt, meant to be used as a road. A primitive method of transportation infrastructure."
    "Thank you, Pod." Onoro rolls her eyes steps onto the road as well. "Whatever this place is, it's probably inhabited. But by what? The machines fly everywhere, they don't need roads."

Chapel
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "Look away! If anything catches your eye, let me know. My gear's not always the best quality- and sometimes it's junk- but anything you have and don't want, I'll take. Uh, whose... Creature... Is that? I've not seen an animal like it. What is it?" The trader looks a little nervously at Haar, not too willing to get close.

Next to a particularly fancy dagger, with a black kevlar scabbard and a polished lump of red jasper set into the pommel, is a very battered book, called 'Nexus Road Atlas, Inside to Riverside, 2015'. It's a few years old, it's gotten wet and the cover is slightly curled, but it looks to be a map. There's also a large, polished aluminium-alloy revolver with seven chambers, a curved yatagan sword with a shark-skin wrapped scabbard and a necklace of animal teeth.
    "Haar is my companion: A wyvern of the north peaks," Faudre says, like that will mean anything to people not of her world.

Though the weapons are not terribly interesting to her, as she has her own weapons, the book is more interesting. She flips it open to see the map. Was this the land she was in?

An Open Field
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Willa smiles, pulling her new friend in by the shoulder. "That sounds fine. I'm a big girl; I'm very hard to lose." she insists, entirely care-free. Besides, Willa meant what she said about carrying her if necessary.
    "Heh, you've never been to the spirit world, then. Give me a moment." Ashley gently pulls herself back, before closing her eyes, and taking a deep breath. Though she makes no clear movements, Willa will likely notice the magical energies swirling up and around them. It doesn't look or feel like any specific sort of energy - almost looking like it's every color at once.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Spaceship Landing
    Ezra looks up and down the road. "There are two possible directions, but we cannot follow both. We do not know how far the road goes. I suggest that we return to the ship and take a shuttle for further exploration."

My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #514
    Orc in the Playground

Chapel

"You're Scottish? I wouldn't have guessed by your accent." Lots of peaks in Scotland, and if he thinks this is post-apocalyptic England, it's north too. "Haven't heard of anything like a wyvern, but there's a lot of ground between here and there. You want the book? Take it, if I have your assurance I can say hi to him and pat his nose without getting an arm ripped off?"

It proves to be a book of maps, an old-fashioned road atlas with a different region on each page- British ones usually subdividing each county into several for maximum accuracy for local navigation, but covering the entire nation for long-distance journeys, and published by the AA car insurance/recovery service. I can pretty much guarantee it's not like any map Faudre's read before, with a scale in the corner giving accurate distances in both miles and kilometres, and a key detailing points of interest like parks, dangerous areas, battlefields and points of historical, regional or tourist interest.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    The sword is sheathed, the destructive urge is extinguished entirely. The construct's words have managed to completely calm Damon down. "Sss. A map. A guide. Sssoundss good. If they have ssuffered a big losss, I asssume there are other forcess in play at thiss...ssseassside? What do you know of it, dragon?"
    [Mountain Temple]

"A big nation of goblins, if you are familiar with them. Humanoid in nature, yet smaller than most other humanoid races, and with green skin. They are quite widespread in Seaside, like how humans often dominate the mainland around here." She explains.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [In the Woods]

Before long, Div will reach a river, where a... crocodile-person seems to be performing fluid arm movements to raise and drop the water in a small stream. They seem unaware of him just yet, but a slight flick of their eyes suggests that perhaps not entirely so. They're wearing loose brown pants and a red jacket, both of which stand out rather starkly in the forest.
    [In the Woods]

As with any perceived predator, at the sight of the stranger Div goes very still. He lowers himself behind a bush to block line of sight and merely observes for the moment... though he seems highly interested! Such strange magics are completely unknown to him. To what strange power does this creature owe his ability to make the creek rise or fall? Div's ears are perked straight up, his eyes slightly wide as he watches.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

[In the Woods]

The crocodile-like person keeps at it for a while. It's pretty clear they're practicing. After a while, they let the water drop and look around.

"Ish shomeone there? they ask uncertainly, the teeth causing a somewhat amusing lisp.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-03-17 at 09:26 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    An Open Field

"Heh, you've never been to the spirit world, then. Give me a moment." Ashley gently pulls herself back, before closing her eyes, and taking a deep breath. Though she makes no clear movements, Willa will likely notice the magical energies swirling up and around them. It doesn't look or feel like any specific sort of energy - almost looking like it's every color at once.
    [An Open Field]

Willa stays quiet, making sure Ashley can concentrate. That said, she also makes sure she's standing right beside her, actually touching, because while she made light of the risk she isn't going to be dumb enough to waltz away on her own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Luciana's Haven]

The woman in the black suit appears surprised at the sudden appearance of a dragonite, but it doesn't change her course of action however. "Kobek, teleport"

And in a flash of all the colors of the rainbow, they are both gone.

Meanwhile, the shooter is lifted up into the air, only able to kick the air with one of their feet, the other hanging limp. They just groan in a strange way in response however, not answering any of the girls questions.
    Removing the hood will reveal them to be a green-skinned goblin of the female persuasion however, not that it really helps Khannie here. They seem unwilling (or perhaps unable?) to talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Luciana's Haven]

Well.

Now Khannie is just giving the goblin the ol' stink-eye. Honestly, she's probably not THAT much bigger than a goblin herself. After all, she's just a ten year old girl. Who also happens to be a kangaskhan.

"I found the jerk that was shooting at us, daddy," Khannie calls out. "What should we do now?"

She knew she should have taken some spray potions with her.

She doesn't want to try to shove one of those little healing vials in the goblins mouth.

They might bite her!

And that would be awful.

Doesn't let go, though.
    [Lucianas Haven]

Jace nods, and slowly rises up to where they're at using a basic levitation spell. He looks at the goblin and narrows his eyes at it.
    "How about we start this conversation by asking you to nod if you can at least understand me?" he asks her. If she can't talk or has some compulsion, this request should be able to get through it. And if she won't cooperate, they'll probably have to tie her up or something to that effect.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

9. - Top - End - #519

[In the Woods]

The crocodile-like person keeps at it for a while. It's pretty clear they're practicing. After a while, they let the water drop and look around.

"Ish shomeone there? they ask uncertainly, the teeth causing a somewhat amusing lisp.
    A startled sound drifts up from the brush, and Div staggers free of it. "Ah, yes!" He waves a little nervously. "S-sorry! I was watching your magic!"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

[In the Woods]

The crocodile-person turns to look at who it is that's been observing him. Which is... a man in a loincloth? The crocodile's snout contrives an awkward expression.

"That'sh, uh... I'm not shurre if I'd call it-" he pauses. Then a change comes over him, and he shrinks. Where there was a were-crocodile now stands a young hobgoblin in the same clothes, which are now slightly oversized, though not as much as they should be.

"Sorry. It gets awkward speaking through those teeth," he says, rubbing the back of his head. "And, uh, it's fine. I come here to practice because it's secluded. It's much easier when I'm all... scaled up."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

11. - Top - End - #521

[Luciana's Haven]

The goblin eyes the two, seemingly considering her options before she slowly nods at Jace. Looks like the goblin can understand them at the very least, yet she still won't talk to them...

Then she opens her mouth slowly.

It seems like she's lacking a tongue, only a stub of it remaining. Might be why their new 'friend' is so quiet.

12. - Top - End - #522

[Luciana's Haven]

Khannie gives a little gasp of horror and revulsion as she releases the goblin.

"She hasn't got any tongue!" she practically hisses. "How come she hasn't got a tongue!?"

This is not child-friendly!

Not even a little bit!

What kind of terrible person cuts someone's tongue out!

Well.

Obviously the goblin can't tell them.

Since she doesn't have a tongue.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmćre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

13. - Top - End - #523

[In the Woods]

The crocodile-person turns to look at who it is that's been observing him. Which is... a man in a loincloth? The crocodile's snout contrives an awkward expression.

"That'sh, uh... I'm not shurre if I'd call it-" he pauses. Then a change comes over him, and he shrinks. Where there was a were-crocodile now stands a young hobgoblin in the same clothes, which are now slightly oversized, though not as much as they should be.

"Sorry. It gets awkward speaking through those teeth," he says, rubbing the back of his head. "And, uh, it's fine. I come here to practice because it's secluded. It's much easier when I'm all... scaled up."
    Divick lowers his bundle down and his body with it, sitting indian style on the grass. His eyes widen again at the sight of the transformation. "You're like me!" He grins and points his finger between them. "One with the shape of two! I mean, my other shape isn't nearly so frightsome, and I can't make water wiggle around, but we're just alike!"

"Came because it's secluded..."
    Div pauses. "Oh, I'm sorry. Do you want me to let you be alone?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #524

Spaceship Landing
    Ezra looks up and down the road. "There are two possible directions, but we cannot follow both. We do not know how far the road goes. I suggest that we return to the ship and take a shuttle for further exploration."
    "Shuttle? Yeah, sure, I guess." Onora shrugs. "Could really use a flight suit right about now, but it didn't follow me here."

Chapel
    "You're Scottish? I wouldn't have guessed by your accent." Lots of peaks in Scotland, and if he thinks this is post-apocalyptic England, it's north too. "Haven't heard of anything like a wyvern, but there's a lot of ground between here and there. You want the book? Take it, if I have your assurance I can say hi to him and pat his nose without getting an arm ripped off?"

It proves to be a book of maps, an old-fashioned road atlas with a different region on each page- British ones usually subdividing each county into several for maximum accuracy for local navigation, but covering the entire nation for long-distance journeys, and published by the AA car insurance/recovery service. I can pretty much guarantee it's not like any map Faudre's read before, with a scale in the corner giving accurate distances in both miles and kilometres, and a key detailing points of interest like parks, dangerous areas, battlefields and points of historical, regional or tourist interest.
    Faudre looks at the trader, eyebrows raised. "Scot-tish? The term is unfamiliar to me. I am of the Eljigin tribe." She looks between him and Haar a few times. "He will not attack you without reason. Haar! Ene ni ayuulgüi baina." Haar glances at the trader as well, his deep red eyes blinking, as he seems to calm a little.

She is more than a little perplexed by the map. This language was strange, just a bunch of squiggly lines. And what was with all the little lines on the landscape? This was a mess. But at least she could see the general shape of this land - assuming it was even of this land.

An Open Field -> The Spirit World
    Willa stays quiet, making sure Ashley can concentrate. That said, she also makes sure she's standing right beside her, actually touching, because while she made light of the risk she isn't going to be dumb enough to waltz away on her own.
    Ashley chants a few words in... some language. Certainly not any familiar to physical people. Then, as quick as she started, she stops, and the energy around them seems to fade. For a moment, all is calm, and nothing has changed

But before Willa can say anything, Ashley spreads her hands, and in that instant, a new view explodes around them. Where once there was a field, now, there's nearly a void. All around them lies a mist that takes on multiple colors at once, much like Ash's magic energy. They don't even look to be standing on a ground, despite having a solid footing.

"Take a moment to adjust. The first trip here is disorienting as hells."

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

Chapel

"I can't say I know them." He listens to Faudre's command to Haar, thinking that that certainly didn't sound like Gaelic- though his only experience with Gaelic was with an Irish sea-trader before he entered Nexus, and Scots Gaelic isn't Irish Gaelic.

Maybe Rivet could make sense of the atlas? He's a bit distracted looking at the sword, since most weapons he's encountered have been pretty brutal, hand-made things, or else plain devices from before the Crash. This yatagan is a mark of status as well as a weapon.

The trader approaches Haar, and holds a hand out for the wyvern to sniff. If Haar doesn't move and seems amenable, he'll gently reach out to stroke his head and scales.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

[In the Woods]

Batu shakes his head.

"No, it's more like I didn't want to bother anyone by splashing water around. And... you're a shapeshifter too? I haven't been one long, admittedly. I'm Batu, by the way."

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

Spaceship Landing
    Ezra leads the way back to the ship. The area is bustling with activity, as many colonists are wandering about and drones are setting up dome shaped buildings. Ezra leads the group into the ship, to a hangar filled with assorted small spacecraft. Many of the ships are in bad shape, partially disassembled or simply falling apart, but Ezra finds one that seems more functional. "Climb on in. We'll be in midair in no time."

Somewhere in the confusion of the construction site, Sergei left the group.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

[Luciana's Haven]

Zebes waddles over to stand beside Khannie. [Looks like some nasty ritual stuff. Might be a slaver thing too.] he Dragonite's.
    "Let's find out." Jace suggests, and is abruptly a fluffy bunny-thing.
    So, how about you fill me in on what's been going on here? says the Victini to the goblin's mind. Not having a tongue is no excuse for not talking when you have a psychic around!

[The Spirit World]

Willa blinks, definitely disoriented.
    "Yeah if you don't mind I'm going to just stay here touching you at all times." she says, a little intimidated by their surroundings. The most safe thing to do would be to just Carry Ashley to effectively prevent them from being separated but there's no need to take drastic measures just yet.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2018-03-19 at 04:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529

[Luciana's Haven]

The sudden transformation, and the voice in her head, only seem to serve to freak the goblin out. Jace can feel a strong sense of panic and confusion from her and it looks like she is reaching for something in one of the sewn-in pockets of her clothes.
    Get out, get out! The goblin screams back.
    Inside the mall, something awakens to the commotion outside. Many eyes drawn to the source of the sounds...

20. - Top - End - #530

[Luciana's Haven]

Khannie, not knowing any better, attempts to restrain the goblin!

She has no idea what the person is reaching for, but considering that they had been shooting at she and her family she figures it probably isn't anything nice.

No doubt this is all going to be a huge mess.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmćre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

21. - Top - End - #531

Chapel
    "I can't say I know them." He listens to Faudre's command to Haar, thinking that that certainly didn't sound like Gaelic- though his only experience with Gaelic was with an Irish sea-trader before he entered Nexus, and Scots Gaelic isn't Irish Gaelic.

Maybe Rivet could make sense of the atlas? He's a bit distracted looking at the sword, since most weapons he's encountered have been pretty brutal, hand-made things, or else plain devices from before the Crash. This yatagan is a mark of status as well as a weapon.

The trader approaches Haar, and holds a hand out for the wyvern to sniff. If Haar doesn't move and seems amenable, he'll gently reach out to stroke his head and scales.
    Haar doesn't quite sniff at the trader's hand, more just sort of breathes in near him, making a low noise from his throat. But he isn't moving to strike, listening to Faudre's request. But he certainly doesn't act friendly.

Spaceship Landing
    Ezra leads the way back to the ship. The area is bustling with activity, as many colonists are wandering about and drones are setting up dome shaped buildings. Ezra leads the group into the ship, to a hangar filled with assorted small spacecraft. Many of the ships are in bad shape, partially disassembled or simply falling apart, but Ezra finds one that seems more functional. "Climb on in. We'll be in midair in no time."

Somewhere in the confusion of the construction site, Sergei left the group.
    Onora looked between the domes and all of the colonists. "Pod. Are there any data signatures among them?"
    "Negative. They are organic beings, most similar to homo sapiens sapiens.
    "Real humans?" she shakes her head. "No way."

The Spirit World
    Willa blinks, definitely disoriented.
    "Yeah if you don't mind I'm going to just stay here touching you at all times." she says, a little intimidated by their surroundings. The most safe thing to do would be to just Carry Ashley to effectively prevent them from being separated but there's no need to take drastic measures just yet.
    While that would be safe, Ashley likely wouldn't be able to direct Willa very easily. "Right then. If you're ready, follow my footsteps exactly." And with that, Ashley takes a step up. Not even on a stairway, it's as though the moment she took a step, gravity shifted and suddenly she started walking up a wall.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Spaceship Landing
    Ezra waits until Onora gets into the shuttle, then climbs on himself. He's been recording her conversations with the pod for future study.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #533
    Orc in the Playground

Chapel

Well, it's not biting or growling at him, so the trader will gently pat Haar's nose, nervously keeping an eye out for sudden moves. Though he's also aware that reptiles can be surprisingly quick, and if Haar wanted to attack there would be little he can do about it.

Rivet's moved on from looking at the sword to examining the daggers and knives. They take up less space, and are useful for day-to-day jobs, not just war and skirmishes. But he's already got several knives- they aren't exactly hard to find, and most have some form of utility knife.

24. - Top - End - #534

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Mountain Temple]

"A big nation of goblins, if you are familiar with them. Humanoid in nature, yet smaller than most other humanoid races, and with green skin. They are quite widespread in Seaside, like how humans often dominate the mainland around here." She explains.
    Goblins.

Doesn't really mean anything to Damon. He's probably seen a goblin around the Nexus at some point or other, but who can really be bothered keeping up with all the different races out there? Small, green skin, simple enough.

"Ssso thesse mighty demonss can be fought off by even ssmall creaturess? Hmph. Fine. I sshall go."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spirit World]

Willa pales a little, but she starts stepping foward.
    "You know it's hard to do that when I have more legs than you..." she mumbles. This got scary fast.

[Luciana's Haven]

I'm not in your head! All I can do is talk to you and hear when you want me to hear! Look, I'm sorry my daughter hit you, okay? If you tell us what's going on I'll heal your leg. Jace promises.
    A complete lie, Victini can totally read minds. But he uses Victini's powers so rarely he barely knows how to do it.

26. - Top - End - #536

[In the Woods]

Batu shakes his head.

"No, it's more like I didn't want to bother anyone by splashing water around. And... you're a shapeshifter too? I haven't been one long, admittedly. I'm Batu, by the way."

"Why, yes! I can change into a stag if I like. S'why I got these bits,"
    he points to his ears, his antlers. "You weren't born with two shapes? Now that must be strange to get used to. And I'm Div!" He grins.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #537

[Luciana's Haven]

That does little to ease the tension though, especially as Khannie restrains the goblin who keeps desperately shaking her head as if trying to shake something off. The phone, let me get my cellphone to write with. Then adding, in a firmer but less panicked tone. Just get out from my head!

Meanwhile, there are sounds of movements coming from inside the mall. If they would listen closely, they can barely make out a voice.
    ...help...

[Mountain Temple]

"Might alone does little, as do size." Mengshi replies. "Regardless, I hope your series of questions means you're not planning to go there alone."

The construct remains silent, though in the background, they might be able to spot some of the other constructs actually working on some sort of map.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-03-23 at 06:00 AM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

[In the Woods]

Batu glances over at the antlers. The whole situation would have felt odd to him once, but not anymore. Loincloth-clad deer-folk are just an everyday thing now.

"I was born a regular hobgoblin. I got the crocodile form from a crocodile god. He was looking for someone to bestow it on, and he thought I'd fit the bill."

29. - Top - End - #539

Spaceship Landing
    Ezra waits until Onora gets into the shuttle, then climbs on himself. He's been recording her conversations with the pod for future study.
    Onora looks around inside the shuttle. "Sure doesn't look like anything from the Bunker. You said you came from space?"

Chapel
    Well, it's not biting or growling at him, so the trader will gently pat Haar's nose, nervously keeping an eye out for sudden moves. Though he's also aware that reptiles can be surprisingly quick, and if Haar wanted to attack there would be little he can do about it.

Rivet's moved on from looking at the sword to examining the daggers and knives. They take up less space, and are useful for day-to-day jobs, not just war and skirmishes. But he's already got several knives- they aren't exactly hard to find, and most have some form of utility knife.
    Haar is suspicious of everyone here except for Faudre, but she's asked him not to attack, so he doesn't.

Faudre does take another look at the bow. It looks similar to what her tribes hunters wield, but the materials were different.

The Spirit World
    Willa pales a little, but she starts stepping foward.
    "You know it's hard to do that when I have more legs than you..." she mumbles. This got scary fast.
    "Right, right. Just stick to my path, and you should be okay. If you're sensitive to spiritual magics, you'll get used to this place quickly." Despite the appearance of nothingness, Ashley is quite able to maneuver in this world, going around obstacles and taking a path, even as she changes directions again, like she was just walking on a different side of a cube.

Over time, Willa may be able to see how the magic of this world clumps together, forming features of... some kind. They mostly take on seemingly plain shapes in the space before them.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Spaceship Landing

"Sorry about the tight fit, but I used most of the passenger space up to fit extra fuel tanks. The hangar doors open, and the shuttle lurches into the air, headed in the direction the road went. Yes, we come from space. We've travelled several thousand years to get here."

My Nexus characters