New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1472

Thread: Outside 46

1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 46

[Neon Facility]

It’s a good thing that fighting type moves are super effective against ninja frogs.

”Well, we’ll have to be very careful won’t we?” says Morne, who seems fairly used to having to shove glowing relics into doors to open them. Too bad they can’t just hack it open. But if they did they’d have to beat waves of enemies trying to stop them. Probably exactly three waves.
    ”So you’ve been through this whole place? Just not the deepest parts?” he asks, heading back the way they came.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

But that IS a weird way to open doors, isn't it?

It's just so needlessly complicated. A keycard or some kind of biometric scan would make way more sense.

But apparently whoever built this weird place disagreed.

"Yeah. There's this one guy with a weird hat and a giant laser scythe that I've never been able to get past,"
    Khannie recounts as she retraces her steps back through the box-filled cells and toward the bridge. "I've tried, like, eight times! He keeps beating me and I black out 'n wake up back at the nearest PokeCenter with half my allowance gone."

Umm...

Well.

That would explain why she keeps trying to get increased allowance out of her dad.

Super robots keep stealing her lunch money.

Before long the bridge looms before them, the rush of phosphorescent water below filling the chamber with eerie blue light. Every now and again an enormous tadpole darts for cover. For whatever reason whoever decided to build this bridge declined to add guardrails. Not safe at all.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Orc in the Playground

Irradiated Wasteland- Sanctum of Dust (Elf)

"Knowledge, power and acceptance." The last of those isn't like the others, though it depends on what she means by 'acceptance', really. She speaks with cool confidence, though there's nervousness in her eyes and the sabre she holds is ready to dart up and attack. "The knowledge to reach the heights of power and the acceptance of the lower beings of my superiority." So not her acceptance of anything, but the acceptance by others that she's better.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ogre in the Playground

Neon Facility

Morne seems satisfied with the bridge. Yeah, this'll do. Morne sticks his khopesh on his belt and draws a green handgun with a suppressor, and a brass wolf medallion on its side.
    "So, what are we expecting here?" he asks conversationally, holding the gun out in front of him.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Troll in the Playground

Mysterious Meteorite

War approaches the tower. He strikes upon its fleshy door. "Open up! I would speak with you."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #1416

[Neon Facility]

As they creep further, the bridge gradually declines until the water tension of the surrounding river is nearly kissing the lip. Here and there strange vines and odd shrubs have begun growing across the bridge, up the walls, over containment devices, and choking out light fixtures. The bridge begins to widen, now, with the occasional lily pad spinning along with the current.

"Weren't you listening?" Khannie replies, sounding a bit petulant. "Ninja frogs. They're really sneaky. And there are these evil bushes too. You have to be really careful 'cuz-"

And then several of the nearby shrubs uproots themselves and leaps toward our heroes, flailing with thorny tendrils and a gnashing maw filled with wooden teeth.

Khannie dodges rather deftly, the air around her right hand suddenly wavering with heat as she thrusts her fist into the side of the shrub as it passes. There's an acrid stench as the side of the plant monster turns into ash, leaving it slumping across the ground at Khannie's feet. She doesn't spare a moment to give the dead monster a mighty kick, sending it sailing off into the river nearby.

Then she cries out in pain, staggering to one side and pulling a throwing knife out of her shoulder.

There comes a splash as something vanishes under the water's surface.

"Stupid ninja frogs..." she grumbles, eyes scanning her surroundings for any sign of her foe.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

[Irradiated Wasteland - The Sanctum of Dust, Drider]

The figure remains silent for several seconds before raising a single ring-covered hand, each bone rattling somewhat ominously. A single incantation is spoken, combined with a sinister symbol formed within the outstretched hand, resulting in the successful casting of a grim spell.

They will likely find themselves raised up into the air and swiftly propelled closer to the lich as he turns to face them, their legs likely scraping painfully along the floor.

When the pair meet face-to-face, the lich merely turns his head slightly to the side.

[Irradiated Wasteland- Sanctum of Dust, Elf]

The figure remains silent for several seconds before raising a single ring-covered hand, each bone rattling somewhat ominously. A single incantation is spoken, combined with a sinister symbol formed within the outstretched hand, resulting in the successful casting of a grim spell.

Gently, the elf will likely find herself raised up into the air and swiftly propelled closer to the lich as he turns to face her, her legs likely scraping painfully along the floor. When the pair meet face-to-face, the lich will raise his other hand into the air and begin to poke and prod at her form.

[Irradiated Wasteland- The Spire, War]

Rather than open, the master of the spire merely phases through the flesh-slab, expression unreadable.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

Morne reacts swiftly and brutally, aiming down the sights of the handgun (which are tiny holograms), bringing them up to eyes hidden behind his black visor.
    phut phut phut coughs the little gun as fiery orange streaks burst from its suppressed muzzle. His aim is good, his fire rate high, and his bullets hot as he fires away at the approaching bushes. He also positions himself between them and Khannie, but maybe she won’t notice.

9. - Top - End - #1419

[Neon Facility]

There's an explosion from the water were Khannie had punted the shrub that leaped at her, blasting water across the chamber and doing a pretty good job of soaking Khannie. And possibly Morne. Moments later a pair of human-sized frog like creatures armed with a collection of knives leap out of the water! They begin jumping about erratically, throwing knives at the intruders! Khannie's ready for it this time around. She dodges this way and that, weaving between projectiles before hurling herself at the gross toad thing as it is mid-leap, slamming one fist into its torso with stone-shattering force.

It makes a gross grinding sound, warping around her first for the barest fraction of a second before rocketing away and slamming into the far wall, cracks spiderwebbing from the point of impact. It slides down the wall and into the water, leaving a slick trail of slime behind it. That's one frog down!

Meanwhile!

The shrub goes tumbling across the ground, the pulsed fire doing little to arrest its momentum, coming to a rest near Morne and falling still.

The other frog leaps at him while his attention is on the shrub, aiming to rake two daggers into his spine.

He probably shouldn't let it do that.

It would hurt!

10. - Top - End - #1420

The drider whimpers slightly as they're dragged along the floor, staring directly into the lich's eyes as they are held in space.

It's ok, it's ok you knew he'd be good at this. This is why you came, right? To get... to get this good at magic.

They take a deep breath before answering again. Power and revenge. They say, much steadier this time. The grip they had on the revolver lessens in the pocket of their coat. It's fine, you're fine.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Orc in the Playground

Irradiated Wasteland- The Sanctum of Dust, Elf

The elf winces slightly as her legs scrape against the floor, but the skirts of her dress is taking the worst of the treatment. She winces and flinches slightly as she's poked and prodded by the lich's bony fingers.

Her gaze doesn't flag, however, and she keeps staring at the dead wizard's face as he talks. She's not putting her sabre away, because whilst it won't help it makes her feel better, too. "Yes, I understand. I will pay the price to succeed." Her voice betrays her nervousness, wavering very slightly.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Clearing

"We can learn much from our ancestors, but it does not do to revere them, I feel. We must learn from and reflect on their mistakes as well as their triumphs," Keiko says. "There are those who speak of what you speak of, but I feel it isn't necessary to teach. With the right upbringing, one will already know to act with discipline and respect in their life. It hardly needs to be carved in stone, if you'll forgive my turn of phrase. And besides, our nation lies in land that is... not the most bountiful. If we do not work together, we surely will not survive."
    The sword spirit looks a little surprised at the dismissal of such codes of doctrine, but an expression of understanding emerges after a moment as she thinks further on it. "And if one is not raised in such a manner, I suppose following the Path might instill those values anyways. Reflection is a valuable teacher, after all." Murasaki wondered if there might be deeper reasons and logic behind the structure of her homeland's own code. It would only stand to reason... although why she had not thought to ponder this before, she wasn't quite sure.

She doesn't dwell on this thought long however, as her new master's next point draws her attention. "Oh? What sort of challenges do the people face in your land?" The topic interested the spirit greatly; in her mind, the Japan she knew was a land of relative bounty. It was not strictly accurate of course, but Murasaki had never been given reason to believe her homeland was suffering from starvation or famine, or that there was general disharmony between the spirits of men and nature. Were Keiko from a land like hers, she would have presumed that such a disharmony was present, but the warrior had already stated that spirits were not a reality where she hailed from.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the drider has been pulled closer, the lich effortlessly, gently slides a long, sharp finger into the drider's mouth, pulling their cheek wide. Once this is done, the spellcaster continues to simply stare forward, his gaze thoroughly uncomfortable through the three gemstones of his helmet, never turning away.

[Irradiated Wasteland - The Sanctum of Dust, Elf]

With a sharpened, bony finger, Malkeizathek begins to slowly carve a small symbol into the elf's chest, his gaze never parting from her own.

Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-10-10 at 08:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Neon Facility]

There's an explosion from the water were Khannie had punted the shrub that leaped at her, blasting water across the chamber and doing a pretty good job of soaking Khannie. And possibly Morne. Moments later a pair of human-sized frog like creatures armed with a collection of knives leap out of the water! They begin jumping about erratically, throwing knives at the intruders! Khannie's ready for it this time around. She dodges this way and that, weaving between projectiles before hurling herself at the gross toad thing as it is mid-leap, slamming one fist into its torso with stone-shattering force.

It makes a gross grinding sound, warping around her first for the barest fraction of a second before rocketing away and slamming into the far wall, cracks spiderwebbing from the point of impact. It slides down the wall and into the water, leaving a slick trail of slime behind it. That's one frog down!

Meanwhile!

The shrub goes tumbling across the ground, the pulsed fire doing little to arrest its momentum, coming to a rest near Morne and falling still.

The other frog leaps at him while his attention is on the shrub, aiming to rake two daggers into his spine.

He probably shouldn't let it do that.

It would hurt!
    [Neon Facility]

Morne jumps and clenches his left fist, and is very suddenly about three meters above where the knives are plunging down. What also come plunging down are another trio of bullets aimed at the frog assassin.
    phut phut phut!

15. - Top - End - #1425

Bunker

Faudre, on the other hand, is completely unaware of such stories. Her favorite story from the Speaker of her tribe was of the rabbit befriending the dragon, and neither princesses or knights warranted a mention. "Food and water are more than welcome. I do not wish to take your means of defense or cure, and I still do not understand your strange hand cannons." She had yet to even unholster the pistol that had been given to her, and she wasn't sure she wanted to. But if they insist, she will take a hunting knife - if she was going to be separated from her tribe for a time, she would need to be able to fend for herself.

Clearing

Keiko nods. "It is more valuable to teach skills to your students than to try and tell them how to live their lives. The Path is different for all who walk it." She adjusts her posture, to be better suited for long conversations.

"Our nation, from the Imperial Palace to the simplest of farms, was constructed atop the southern swamps of the land. Our founders were fleeing from invaders, and this was where they were safe from the blades of Odrad skirmishers. While we have learned something of how to work the land to provide sustenance, it is hard soil to break. And when you do, there are still the natural dangers of the land. Disease in the waters, the Aiyu ready to strike at any that near their territory. It is not the easiest life, but it has tempered we Scaji into a people of tranquil strength."

16. - Top - End - #1426

[Neon Facility]

"Look out for the bush!" Khannie yells just as Morne teleports and the bush explodes like a bomb.

Thankfully that put him a bit further from the kill zone than the frog, which just met a gruesome demise between explosion and rifle blasts.

Poor froggy.

He never knew what hit him.

Though, sadly, that explosion was probably still close enough to hurt a fair bit.

Hopefully Morne isn't banged up TOO much.

17. - Top - End - #1427

Irradiated Wasteland - The Sanctum of Dust, Drider

The drider lets the lich jam his weird bony finger in their mouth, holding back a shudder of revulsion. Eyes on the prize. This would be worth it.

I'll take it. They say, confidence growing. That's what they're here for right?

Show

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

There’s a loud shattering noise and Morne is thrown against the ground, robes singed. Without much more than a groan though, he rises and holds his handgun at the ready without so much as a complaint.
    ”...is that...all you got?” he taunts the rest of the horde.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Orc in the Playground

Bunker

They won't pressure Faudre into taking anything she doesn't want or need, though the 'medicine' they have likely isn't recognisable to the dragon-knight, anyway. A bottle of rubbing alcohol, some expired pills and tablets, not much else.

Irradiated Wasteland, Sanctum of Dust- Elf

"However... However you wish me to, so long as I learn." She grits her teeth as the finger burns through her dress and the flesh beneath, leaving the lich's mark in her skin. She doesn't cry out, however, nor flinch at the pain. She's been marked before, and she'll accept new symbols if it gets her power.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ogre in the Playground

At that, the lich steps uncomfortably close, shuddering for just a moment before digging several sharp fingers into the drider's other shoulder and pressing his jaw up against the drider's own. What follows is a noxious stream of black ichor, belching forth from the depths of the skeletal spellcaster, the nauseating liquid pouring forth into the drider's opened mouth.

The taste is indescribably horrific, and the ichor itself is highly cold.

--

When the lich is finished, his spell wears off, and he merely turns away, allowing the drider to fall to the ground.

[Irradiated Wasteland - The Sanctum of Dust, Elf]

The lich nods quietly here before producing a glittering chalice, crafted all of bone and sharply-cut onyx. Within it, a noxious liquid bubbles. It floats gently through the air before settling before the elf, it's contents continuing to bubble and steam as if boiling within the ritualistic chalice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Ralton Falls]

As they appear on the hill, Anika instantly turns to look around and stops, narrowing her eyes as she spots the town. "Okay... I should probably take a closer look as a hawk. I'll be right back!" And before Anulhi can protest, the druid has turned into red feathered hawk and taken flight, heading straight towards the town.
    She's especially curious in that tent...
    Anulhi attempts to remain somewhat hidden as Anika soars forward, shaking her head at being left behind.

The town itself appears far less abandoned up close, for bodies can be seen piled upon the streets, while a number of figures lurch about on the roads. It's deathly quiet within the town, wagons left abandoned, the water-wheel still. Apart from the figures, the town might well be out of time itself.

The tent appears to be guarded by a pair of individuals clad in riot armor.

21. - Top - End - #1431

[Neon Facility]

Thankfully the rest of the hoard wasn't much of a hoard to begin with, consisting of one additional ninja frog.

It answers Morne's question by tossing a pair of daggers at him.

Why is there only one frog left?

Why, because Khannie just tackled the other one and she's busy pounding its gross robo-frog face into jelly, her fists falling like a shower of comets.

Left!

Right!

Left!

Right!

Left!

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Clearing

Keiko nods. "It is more valuable to teach skills to your students than to try and tell them how to live their lives. The Path is different for all who walk it." She adjusts her posture, to be better suited for long conversations.

"Our nation, from the Imperial Palace to the simplest of farms, was constructed atop the southern swamps of the land. Our founders were fleeing from invaders, and this was where they were safe from the blades of Odrad skirmishers. While we have learned something of how to work the land to provide sustenance, it is hard soil to break. And when you do, there are still the natural dangers of the land. Disease in the waters, the Aiyu ready to strike at any that near their territory. It is not the easiest life, but it has tempered we Scaji into a people of tranquil strength."
    "Ah, I see. Swamps are not particularly common in my land, but I have heard of the hardships such terrain can bring. But I know all to well that having to contend with factions whose might can be comparable to your own only exacerbates the issue - it's something my nation learned well before it gained unity. It is no wonder such an unforgiving land would shape your people like so." Murasaki looks a little humbled by Keiko's description. Perhaps it was a sense of respect for these Scaji... or perhaps it was realizing that she had been blessed with someone so stalwart and resilient.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Halfling in the Playground

[Dragon Mountain]

"Curiouss." Damon tilts his head, peering up at the strange skeletal bird-creature. Undead, maybe? It doesn't seem particularly threatening but it's hard to be sure with these things. The urge to just lob a ball of black fire at the thing is there, of course, but it feels a little extreme, even for him.

Not wanting to burn something on sight? Strange. Perhaps these companions are having an effect on him.

"Do you mean uss harm, creature?" He asks, one hand carefully shaping a ball of black fire, "Sspeak if you can. Tell uss who elsse hass come through here."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Orc in the Playground

Irradiated Wasteland- Sanctum of Dust, Elf

The elf drinks, gulping it down quickly to avoid tasting it- expecting it to be foul and unpleasant. When she's done, she wipes her mouth on her sleeve- the dress is pretty ruined anyway- and thinks a moment. "Elimnea." An elvish word, it means 'poison rose'.

25. - Top - End - #1435

Irradiated Wasteland - The Sanctum of Dust, Drider

They grunt in pain as the fingers pierce their shoulder, caught by surprise for just a moment, long enough for the lich to vomit forth that hideous substance. They drop to the ground, catching themselves on their legs as they cough violently. They stop coughing eventually, breathing heavily as they look back up at the lich.

Yes. They say, anger in their eyes now.

Show

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

[Neon Facility]

Morne leaps sideways, dodging one knife, but the other sinks into his right shoulder. He pulls it free, letting it clatter to the floor, and lays into the frog with the last few rounds in his pistol's magazine.
    Huh, that's odd.
    Blood isn't clear.

27. - Top - End - #1437

Bunker

Faudre, likewise, doesn't take more than she thinks she'll need, at least for a few days. She's more than capable of hunting, but sometimes the quarry was better at evading. So she only takes enough food for the next three days. Any more than that, she and Haar could hunt for. "I must thank you - I doubt I would have survived if you had not taken me into your care."

Clearing

"It is the same as it is for all. We either learn to work with the land we have been placed on, we move to a better one, or we die where we stand." Keiko can sound rather cynical, even when she doesn't mean to.

She shakes her head. "But never mind all that. For now, my Path has seen fit to lead me away from my home. I mean to take a journey across these lands, to see what I can learn and reflect on."

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dragon Mountain]

Cass says nothing, though she raises her staff slightly, and slips a hand behind her back, preparing a holding spell in case the bird thing decides to attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Titan in the Playground

[Dragon Mountain]

"...name?" the voice from the branches is a faint whisper. "I had a name. But I don't remember it. It's been so long... do you come from the King? I've been waiting for the King. The mortals who came here before, they had the stench of the giants and Unchanging Lands about them, and sorcery. I hid from them." It pauses. "I was... a bird of thunder once, I think. Before this mountain grew."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

30. - Top - End - #1440

[Neon Facility]

And the frog goes down!

They're pretty nimble, but not nimble enough to deal with a trained marksmen standing a few paces away from them.

Khannie frowns at the injuries. "Are you okay, mister Morne?"

Totally disregarding the fact that she had a knife stuck into her as well.

And the fact that she's wearing no armor to speak of.

That thing looked like it had went pretty deep, too.

But she isn't bleeding all over her outfit. Weird.

"The big battery things are just down this way," Khannie says, pointing down the hallway.