New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Reaping of Theras (IC Thread)

Silv easily manages to backtrack and as he moves further from the large cavern, the bone numbing chill begins to slowly subside. He turns a corner in time to see Rurik and the others rounding another corner. Silv can see Rurik in front, his face a mask of concentration, Aemos just behind him and Mik't behind the wizard. Each of them seem to be dealing poorly with the cold, though they each continue forward and at last they join Silv. All of you together huddle close seeking any warmth to be had.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Silv approaches, trying to keep his hands warm by breathing into them.

He whispers to the group,
    Be as quiet as you can. Up ahead, there is a network of tunnels as well as a praying giant that seems to belong in the ice. There were 3 of them but 2 took off down a network of tunnels. There seems to be an opening in the ceiling ahead, but there is a biting wind that will literally freeze you to death underneath it. I was barely able to stay awake and not fall unconscious and I was only there a few moments.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mikt' wispers as quietly as he can manage. "We can take one giant though, right? Ameos might have some speel to weaken him, me and Rurik can get either side while you use ranged attacks from a side. He won't know what hit him, and he won't be a threat later." Mikt' seems to cold to realize that his plan isn't the best one, and too excited to care. He would agree that his plan is a bad one if enough of the others don't think it's a good one.
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:
    There are three kinds of people. Those who know math, and those who dont. - Unknown

4. - Top - End - #574

I thought you all had to pass through this cavern anyway. If it's a giant, we can surely kill one and if it's about the cold, it'll get better once we make it into the caverns.

Rurik swings his mace expectantly at this giant he gets to kill.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Dwarf in the Playground

AEMOS:

Aemos, listens to the others, while wrapping his cloak tighter around his body to try and fend off the cold. His mind slowly begins running through his list of prepared and known spells to see if he has anything to help combat the bone numbing cold.

6. - Top - End - #576

SolithKnightGuy

Silv sighs as he is about to experience what he just had, and that does not bode well. He does however bravely feel the grips of his swords in hand and marches on.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mikt' will gladly hurry along, not wanting to be still in this coldness, catching up to Silv and walking next to him, but it is too cold to speak.
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:
    There are three kinds of people. Those who know math, and those who dont. - Unknown

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

Aemos

The chill of the winds must have frozen Aemos's mind, for it took him far too long than usual to come up with a response.

"A giant? A-ah, yes-s, the giant. Hmm. A spell, a spell, a a spell...

Is it compl-letely necessary that we fight it? If so, I have a so-solution for it..."

9. - Top - End - #579
    Dwarf in the Playground

(I need a fortitude save roll from everyone please)

As you sit debating you can feel the wind blowing slightly at first pick up to a howling wind and die back down slowly again to a breeze. Each time the wind picks up you can hear the guttural chanting of the giant in the cavern ahead, the wind cycles between a breeze and a gust over and over. The spaces between gusts slowly growing shorter, each of you find yourselves shivering almost uncontrollably, standing idly in this tunnel is becoming more and more painful. You each know in your hearts that you must make a decision between advancing and attacking the giant or retreating further back to avoid the bite of the winds.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

Aemos

Aemos struggles to retain conciousness against the bitter cold...

"If...-if we are t-to act...we...we should act...noooowww...."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort save! (1d20+7)[17]

If Aemos is still able to act, he will prepare a Glitterdust and ready it to cast should the giant do anything dangerous (like detect our presences, starts attacking us, responds to an attack by party members, etc).

Last edited by 13_CBS; 2007-11-28 at 12:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #581

SolithKnightGuy

Silv shivers a bit more, his fingers turning a slight blue. He seems to have stayed in here too long. He gives Mik't a slight push forward and ducks in behind him, using the big one as cover so he can surprise the giant.

Spoiler
    Show

Another fort save, this time I don't feel so lucky
    fort - (1d20+4)[19]

Hide roll behind Mik't
    hide - (1d20+9)[13]

12. - Top - End - #582
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Assuming he made the save) FORT SAVE: 13

Mikt' will run foward, biting through the cold and will attack the giant with ferocity. (Using his greatsword)

Spoiler
    Show

Accuracy - (1d20+6)[13] (I subtracted three from by base attack bonus to use power attack)
    Damage - (2d6+10)[13] (Added three for power attack)
    Crit Check - (1d20+6)[11]
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:

13. - Top - End - #583

(OOC: Wait, battle's starting?)

Rurik sees Mikt' run forward, and follows in his stead with a grin on his face, charging the giant with his mace.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20)[15]
    Attack (1d20+7)[21]
    Damage (1d8+3)[4]

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

Aemos

Aemos lets out a shuddering sigh as the cleric and the warrior charge forward.

Th-there goes d-d-diplomacy...

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+5)[12]
    If Aemos has made his Fort save, then he will cast Glitterdust, aimed so that it catches the giant and only the giant (since it's in a burst, the edge of the burst should hit the giant and the rest of the spell nothing).

15. - Top - End - #585

SolithKnightGuy

Silv
    Silv charges behind Mik't, and at the last possible moment reveals himself to tumble into a better striking position. He hopes that all this activity will warm his bones some.

Spoiler
    Show

initiative - (1d20+4)[5]
    tumble - (1d20+6)[23] If needed to get behind the giant

attack - (1d20+11)[29] Flanking bonus added
    dmg - (2d6+2)[9] Sneak attack added in

16. - Top - End - #586
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Mik't erupts into a flurry of movement, the dimming ring of black at the edges of his vision quickly subside. Silv's gentle push and the frenzied rush of the group into the room and the accompanying adrenaline rush staves off the colds effects for the moment.

Mik't reaches the Giant first and is amazed at the creatures speed as it whirls in a low crouch at Mik't advancing footsteps. It's eyes burn a frozen blue color as they open wide and it unleashes a bestial growl, raising to stand after swatting away Mik't attack. As it rises to it's full height it towers over each of you.

Rurik moves in quickly and strikes the Giants leg firmly with his mace, resulting in a dull thud. The giant hardly twitches.

Aemos's spell erupts into a cloud of dust and is quickly blown away by the strong winds of the tornado. The giant blinks a few times, blinking out a few tears which crystalize immediately and fall from his face as drops of ice with flecks of gold in their cores.

Silv comes up from his tumble just short of the whirling ice and frost of the tornado in the center of the cavern, he rises and attcks the giant from behind scoring a wicked cut on the giants backside. Again the huge figure roars and the tornado behind seems to intensify with his pain, Silv can feel the wind pressing hard against his back, like a wall pushing him toward the giant.

The giant swings a heavy arm behind him, breaking his massive axe from it's tether at his side. It grabs the haft of the weapon, about as thick as a young tree, supporting an axe-head as tall and wide as Rurik.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

Aemos

AC: 11
    HP: 18/18

Spells:

Level 0: Prestidigitation, Light, Detect Magic, Read Magic
    Level 1: Alarm, Grease, MAge Armor, Burning Hands
    Level 2: Glitterdust, Web, Web

"If you wish for my arcane support, yells Aemos over the tornado, "You all will need to back away from the giant! And use the altars as cover!"

Spoiler
    Show
    On his turn, Aemos will move northwest enough so that he can see the giant between Silv and Mikt. He will then cast Grease on the giant's axe.

The giant needs to beat a Reflex Save of 16 to hold on to his weapon. If he fails his save, he'll need to roll the same Reflex Save to pick up the weapon again.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2007-11-28 at 06:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588

Taking advantage of the flank, Rurik strikes at the giant with his mace once more. He yells back at Aemos,

E's large enough for us to all surround him and beat him to a pulp! No need fer fire and lightnin.

He seems excited as he watches the giant carefully, remembering his early training about using his height as an advantage against a giant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (flank included) (1d20+9)[28]
    Damage 1d8+3

Edit - D'oh, messed up damage roll. You can roll for me. Rolling nicely, wonder where the luck will take me...
    Last edited by Xilehxt; 2007-11-28 at 07:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #589

SolithKnightGuy

Silv seems to delight in this dirty work, as the blood spills from the giant to his hands, warming them.

It's the simple things that matter, really.

Taking advantage of his tactical position, Silv attempts two more stabs, one from each sword.

Spoiler
    Show

attack1 - (1d20+9)[20]
    attack2 - (1d20+9)[26]
    dmg1 - (2d6+2)[8]
    dmg2 - (2d6+2)[10]

20. - Top - End - #590
    Dwarf in the Playground

AC: 18
    HP: 38

Seeing the others ignore Ameos's words and continue attacking, Mikt' does the same.

Spoiler
    Show

Accuracy - (1d20+7)[13] (Using Power Attack 4, flanking included)
    Crit Check - (1d20+7)[25] (Using Power Attack 4, flanking included)
    Damage - (2d6+11)[15] (Power Attack 4)
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:

21. - Top - End - #591
    Dwarf in the Playground

The giant grunts audibly as Rurik lands a heavy blow to his kneecap. The towering giant shudders with the blow but remains standing. He swings his greataxe in a wide circle from behind his back, the wild swing sweeps Silvs first attack aside but leaves him open again to Silv's second blade which pierces deeply into his thigh, the gush of warm blood covers Silv's sword arm and the giant barely manages to continue the swing, blocking Mik'ts heavy attack. As the Giant finishes his blocking sweep the handle of the Greataxe takes on an oily appearance and the weapon flies from the Giants hands into the tornado, instantly freezing and shattering moments later. Without missing a beat the giant clasps his hands together and brings his massive fists down at Mik't in a powerful downward blow.

The impact of the doubled fists drives Mik't to a knee, feeling as if someone just hit him with a tree trunk. {18 HP Damage to Mik't} The giant smiles a frosty smile at the hurt blossoming on Mik'ts face, temporarily forgetting the loss of his mighty axe.

Spoiler
    Show

Reflex Save Vs Grease spell : 1
    Attack Roll: 21
    Damage Roll: 18
    Last edited by blkhawk26281; 2007-11-28 at 09:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Aemos

Aemos gives a confident smirk as the axe shatters to pieces in the tornado. Said smirk shatters to pieces as well when the giant pulverizes Mikt.

"Damn... Rurik! Have you any useful spells? Mine have quickly become worthless."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aemos will position himself so that he can get a clear shot at the giant, i.e. so that he won't incur a penalty for firing into melee. If he cannot, he will still move in a northwestern direction and open fire with his crossbow.

Attack roll: (1d20+3)[7] Edit: penalty for firing into melee is -4, but looking at this roll that won't matter much...

(1d10)[3]

Last edited by 13_CBS; 2007-11-28 at 10:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #593

Let's push im into the whirlwind. That oughta get im good. Who's the strongest? I'll bless im with the power of St. Cuthbert.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Dwarf in the Playground

AC: 18
    HP: 38

"RRAAAGHH!!!"
    Mikt' screams as he regains his composure and swings a mighty blow back at the giant.
    "I think I be the strongest, actually." he says after the mighty blow.

@Rurik, I have 21 strength...whats yours?
    Spoiler
    Show

Accuracy - (1d20+7)[23] (Power Attack 4, flanking)
    Crit Check - (1d20+7)[24] (Power Attack 4, flanking)
    Damage - (2d6+11)[18]
    Maybe some better rolls here...lol
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:

25. - Top - End - #595

SolithKnightGuy

Silv, now in the middle of battle and feeling warmer from the spilled blood, smiles at Mik't and the giant that has now turned his back on him.

Strength means nothing. Agility wins out!

With that, two more slices go for the giant, aiming for its arteries.

Spoiler
    Show

attack1 - (1d20+9)[27]
    attack2 - (1d20+9)[13]
    dmg1 - (2d6+2)[6]
    dmg2 - (2d6+2)[13]
    Last edited by Bronz; 2007-11-29 at 05:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #596

Rurik

Aye, ye seem the strongest. Let the blessing of St. Cuthbert envelope thee.

Careful of the giants blows, Rurik lets his shield hang loose from his arms and holds up a wooden symbol of St. Cuthbert. Steely gray light gathers as it transfers from the symbol, to Rurik's hands, then to Mikt'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Enlarge Person on Mikt'
    Concentration to cast defensively (1d20+11)[24]

27. - Top - End - #597
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mik't rises from his knee bringing his sword up in a mighty blow. The blade misses the giants groin and instead carves a swath of gore up the towering figures gut. The giant groans, now obviously in pain as Silv strikes again from behind, dragging his shortswords across the giants upper thighs. The giant spins to swing at Silv foiling one of the swipes, the other stabs into the giants thigh before dislodging leaving another stream of blood. Aemos can see the blood from the giant pooling at the combatatants feet and slowly running into the tornado, a flicker of something important passes through Aemos' memories. Rurik stands proudly, chanting the spell for St. Cuthberts might and the glow flows over and into Mik't the spell crackles and pops as Mik't's bones break and grow, muscles rip and pop as they swell and the cie beneath your feet gives a low moan before settling as Mik't reaches his new size.

The Giant spins, swinging a wicked backhand at Silv. The thick fist hits with a bone jarring impact sending Silv backwards. His slide from the impact carries him dangerously near the tornado before coming to a stop at the foot of the Western altar.
    The giant lashes out with his other fist at Mik't again, expecting to crush him. The fist does hit and hard but Mik't doesn't move as he takes the hit and the pain but doesn't budge. A momentary shadow of fear passes over the giants vision and is gone.

(Silv takes 12 damage, Mik't take 14)
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1 (SILV) : Atk roll: 28 Dmg: 12
    Attack 2 (MIK'T) : Atk roll: 30 Dmg: 14)

Giant takes 24 more damage (-1 additional HP for blood loss) 25 total HP loss.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Dwarf in the Playground

AC: 17
    HP: 6
    (I forgot to lower it last attack, Mikt' needs some help)

"You can't take me down, but I can take you!"

Mikt' will attack with his now stronger greatsword.

Spoiler
    Show

Accuracy - (1d20+8)[20] (Power attack 3, flanking)
    Crit Check - (1d20+8)[27]
    [roll=Damage]3d6+10roll]
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:

29. - Top - End - #599

Push him in! We'll all help.

With his shield hand, Rurik now lets go of the holy symbol, and takes out a long wooden wand from his belt. Still careful to avoid the giant's swinging fists, he lays the wand on Mikt' as it radiates gray magical energy. The light spreads over Mikt' closing some of his wounds and easing the pain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wand of cure light wounds on Mikt'
    Cure Light Wounds (1d8+1)[2]
    Concentration (1d20+11)[15]

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

Aemos

Unsure as to what to do, Aemos takes a few seconds to reload his crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aemos will take a full action to reload his crossbow. Down to 9 bolts.