New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC Shadows of Gallowspire

Lethos runs through the air at the shadows. They spiral upwards from the ground to meet him, but most of them are speared and melt into nothing. A single shadow slips inside the reach of his spear and grasp at him, but the elf's mongoose reflexes evades the blow with a blink to spare.

OOC: 7 wounded shadows fall to attacks of opportunity, the last one attacks and misses.
    Semper ludens.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos steps back, still treading air, and launches a flurry of thrusts dispersing the shadow quickly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    full attack w/ spear

(1d20+23)[43]
    damage (1d8+15)[16] + (2d6)[2]

(1d20+18)[22]
    damage (1d8+15)[23] + (2d6)[5]

(1d20+13)[15]
    damage (1d8+15)[21] + (2d6)[10]

Seriously 7 for 7 on AOOs...with reduced damage since they are incorporeal (bane helps there)...these guys aren't tough.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Hearing the warning from Lethos, Ward reaches into his Haversack and draws forth another metamagic rod. He steps forward to get a better angle and sends a ball of fire into the area between Lethos and Valeria. As the fireball erupts he uses the rod to pierce the ethereal veil and allow the destructive energies to penetrate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Draw Lesser Ectoplasmic Metamagic Rod
    5 ft step in the direction of the battle
    Standard Action: Cast Fireball (DC 22 Reflex for 1/2) using Ectoplasmic rod. Placing the edge at Lethos and extending towards Valeria's position. Damage: (10d6)[34]

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

The area around Valeria smokes with the flash of the fireball. All seems quiet. Valeria is still slumped over, unmoving, in the force bubble.
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos descents, touching down lightly. "There may be more about. Hard to follow the trail of such creatures; they leave none, at least physically."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Ward rushes up to Valeria's body, peering through the force bubble he searches for any sign of life. Be careful if they have drained all the life from her, she may arise as one of them. He prepares to drop the protective barrier on command.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

From a few feet of distance, Valeria looks dead. She doesn't have any obvious wounds on her, but seems to have collapsed forwards onto her knees, dropped her hands to her side, and given up on living.
    Semper ludens.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward
    With a few words and a wave of his hand he dismisses the barrier. He kneels beside Valeria's motionless body and checks for a heartbeat or any breathing. Unable to find any signs of life he stands and looks towards Lethos and Dorrn. Help me get her body back towards the campfire so I may examine it more closely. A cleric as powerful as her should not have fallen easily to such creatures... He looks around the area and searches for her weapon Raven's Head, a knot begins to form in his stomach.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Valeria is in fact dead. As you look her over, it would seem that the shadows did in fact kill her. Of the Raven's Head, there is no trace...
    Semper ludens.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos furrows his brow. "Strange indeed. Let us bury her, but we must continue. Our enemy knows we are here and has taken what they worked so hard to attempt to acquire before. That is an ill turn for us, I fear."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Agreed. He nods his assent. Now that they have the Raven's Head they may no longer have need for the Baron. Perhaps by rescuing him we may have an opportunity to recover the relic as well.

Ward searches Valeria for any healing magic which might assist them before wrapping her body in a blanket. He pours a vial of holy water over her body and then places her in the grave. He picks up a medium sized stone, traces an arcane mark on it, and sets it in the grave with her. If we survive this I will return and take your body to your church.l. After the grave is filled, he sprinkles another vial of holy water over the fresh dirt as he recites a Pharasmic burial prayer provided by Kickshaw.

Let us finish our rest and continue on our way.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

The next day passes by rather uneventfully. It rains most of the day, and those of you who get wet find the rain irritating your skin and eyes. In the afternoon, the rain finally subsides. As you walk along the river in silence, Lethos spots smoke as from a campfire further along the river.
    Semper ludens.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos points out the smoke to the others. "Someone does not care who knows they are there. Trap?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Could be. I'll check it out. Ward casts a spell of invisibility and flies up in the air and closer to the smoke.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Flying at about 100' above the ground, you see two armored figures, human-looking, sitting at the fire. Something the size of an anaconda, but with the iridescent blue-green scales of a venomous snake, is coiled up next to the fire as well.
    Semper ludens.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Backing away from the campsite a bit he regains his line of sight to Lethos and Dorrn. He casts a message spell at his companions and whispers. Two armored humanoids and a large snake are near the fire. I will cover you if you wish to approach.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos nods, stowing his weapons. He gives time for anyone who feels inclined to take position before approaching. At a bow-shot away, he calls to those at the fire "Hello. This is dangerous country. Care to share your fire?" He keeps his hands spread, showing them empty.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

"Putting it mildly," Granis muttered under his breath. "Hail, stranger," he said cautiously, turning towards the man approaching their fire. "If you wish to share our fire, approach and be recognized." Both men stared intently at Lethos while the serpentine creature seemed to be looking past him. Neither man went for their weapons, but they looked ready to use them at a moment's notice.

Spoiler
    Show

Granis and Stefan are studying the newcomer using Detect Evil and Detect Undead, respectively (or they will once he's close enough). The Couatl is looking around for hidden ambushers: (1d20+23)[24] Perception

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Lethos approaches, giving a nod. "Lethos Farwanderer, at your service. I am also not alone, but you must understand due caution. I spied your fire. My companions and I just had a run in with some shades of the dead, thought however had the fire might either be connected or ought be warned. Either way." Sensing the situation did not seem likely to burst into violence, he waves a hand to signal the others that it was safe.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

"Granis Vail," the lead knight introduced himself curtly, "and this is Stefan Kastner," he indicated the younger knight at his side, "and Endymion," he motioned to the serpentine creature. He broke off the stare, seemingly satisfied, and nodded. "You and your companions are welcome to share our camp, but tell me, what business have you in this forsaken country?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: For Athaleon
    Show
    Endymions voice in your head: "None of these strangers disturb me". You know this means that he detects neither evil nor chaos in them.
    Semper ludens.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Seeing Lethos' signal, Ward descends next to him hovering a few inches off the ground. He holds his hands up in a non-threatening manner as he dismisses his invisibility spell. Please do not be alarmed. He waits for the tension to ease before continuing. I am Ward of Lepidstadt. My friends and I travel to the fortress-monastery of Renchurch, we are on an urgent rescue mission. Now that we have answered your question perhaps you can tell us what YOU are doing here?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

"Stefan and I are Knights of the Order of Ozem. Our mission is to hold vigil over this cursed land to ensure the safety of the wider world—and to ensure the safety of travelers by keeping them out. But if you have seen off an attack by shades, I suppose you can take care of yourselves." The knight motioned for the newcomers to take seats around the fire. "Whose rescue do you seek in Renchurch?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2017-11-09 at 01:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Wait, what are we doing again?
    Show
    The kidnappee is count Lucinean Galdana of Amaans province, whom you now believe is a direct descendant of the Whispering tyrant.
    Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He's just making extra sure both parties are on the same page. I also didn't know if Granis & Co. knew that the count was taken to Renchurch, specifically.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Ah yes, Knights of Ozem. Sorry, I should have recognized the markings on your armor. He pauses for a moment as he takes a seat. Since I believe us to have similar goals I will tell you that the man we seek is Baron Lucinean Galdana. He has been kidnapped by the Whispering Way and we have been sent by the Order of the Palatine Eye to retrieve him.

We have suffered a few setbacks already. Our attempt to teleport directly to Renchurch has revealed the area is guarded by a series of teleport traps called Witchgates. Our cleric fell to the shades mentioned earlier and the artifact Raven's Head that she carried is missing. With the Raven's Head and the Baron in their possession, I believe the Whispering Way may be close to their goal.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"Had better day." Lethos adds, stoically.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am sorry for your loss. My own order came across the same information, and they too paid a heavy price. But we didn't know where exactly the Baron was being taken, so my party and I had yet to pick up the trail. Given the urgency of the situation, and with the absence of other clues, I had considered making straight for Gallowspire. Fortunate then, that we should meet."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ward

Indeed both our fortune's may have turned for the better. If you would join us we should make for Renchurch as quickly as we can. Perhaps we may yet stop this evil plot.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"Going to be a busy morning." Lethos wastes little time finding his way back to his bedroll.