New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1098 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    True.
    Elan's the heart, Roy's the brain...
    Durkon is more like the stuff that keeps the whole mess together.
    What's it called...
    The keel.
    Or you could go with the allegorical construct of a heart being multi-chambered, and thus, two or more people could technically do the job.

Really, though, I think at this point it's pretty clear the Order is a clear-cut case of True Companions, and that it'd be impossible to remove one of them without some functionality in the group being lost. Hell, I'm pretty sure even Belkar's going to be mourned if something happens to him (sorry, "when", not "if"). They all contribute on an intellectual level (Roy being the one that ultimately makes the judgement calls, Haley being the cunning, Elan and Durkon being different aspects of a moral compass, V being cold logic and Belkar occasionally chipping in with malicious-but-effective solutions), on a physical level (no shortage of analyses there), and an emotional level (they ALL contribute to holding the group together: Durkon's being showcased now, but in Elan's case, everyone was willing to go back for him; Haley brings strong emotional support to both Elan and Roy; V seems to be particularly influenced by Elan and Haley, and in turn, has strong ties to them both; Belkar's been very good for Roy lately, as well as supporting Elan and, in his own vitriolic way, Vaarsuvius; and as the leader, Roy's steadily developed into the type of person who takes "keep the group functioning coherently" as both his day job and a few hobbies.)

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    Here is another angle to consider:

What if Odin gave the prophecy knowing Hels gambit- and he wanted to give as many Dwarves as possible an honorable death before the world gets unmade.

Dundundun~!
    I could see this being an aspect of it, but not the whole reason. Something to bear in mind is that, in the OotS universe (and Dungeons & Dragons in general), death isn't the end of a character's existence or even their influence on the mortal world. If the world does get unmade, it would make sense that Odin would want to make sure as few dwarves as possible died dishonorable deaths before the plug was pulled, especially when total oblivion is the other option... and even that might be done with the intent of putting them back after the whole issue gets resolved (instead of leaving it at Hel's discretion).

But that's assuming the world does get unmade. It's possible that he's intentionally bringing about honorable deaths to dwarves who would have otherwise gone to Hel, and setting events in motion to make Hel's scheme ultimately fail.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2017-09-12 at 10:01 PM.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "He didn't blame me." Awww, I could almost like Belkar for that...almost.
    More character development! Come to think of it, that was the turning point, wasn't it? That was when Belkar really started thinking about others besides himself (and his cat).

I think when Belkar finally dies, he won't be pure Chaotic Evil. Probably Chaotic Neutral (with Evil Tendencies).
    Please have a happy ending, plese have a happy ending ...

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Miko thwarted Xykon in Azure City.
    No. A million times no. Miko does not get credit for "thwarting" Xykon when she in fact prevented Xykon from being defeated by Soon.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    No. A million times no. Miko does not get credit for "thwarting" Xykon when she in fact prevented Xykon from being defeated by Soon.
    The truth known to the readers doesn't matter in context to Roy's line. The Order thinks Xykon defeated or was about to defeat Soon's ghost and a living paladin made the call to destroy the Gate.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1098 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Yep, he's slowly growing a conscience...like a tumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck617 View Post

It's NAHT A TUMUHR!

Well done.

Stuff like that is ultimately why I read the threads!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #126

BlackDragon

The OOTS only thwarted Xykon twice (Dungeon of Dorukan and Girard's Pyramid). Miko thwarted Xykon in Azure City, although the OOTS believes it was O-Chul.
    Okay. Anyway, while yeah the OOTS were pretty much just involved in the surrounding events and didn't take a direct active role with the thwarting they did still participate on the Azure city side of the battle and I don't think it's meant quite in a credit/glory sense. It's still a huge stretch to say on it's own but I think in context it works okay, as it's tied in with two others that were more direct and there is the affiliation with Azure city.

As for who did the thwarting I'll just say I disagree and confirm that that was the part that threw me off.
    Edit: With your next post I guess I'll need to ask for re clarification. As the O Chul part you edited in contradicts the "what the order thinks happened" angle for me.
    Last edited by goodpeople25; 2017-09-12 at 11:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lame.
    LAME.
    LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

It could be cute. It could be awesome.

But, the entire point in this comic is

A entire prophecy to make a party "to believe in themselves".

Yeah, sure.
    Only Durkon, if you say so.

on with the plot already, this arc is giving me cramps

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katrover_Swatroad View Post
    I think when Belkar finally dies, he won't be pure Chaotic Evil. Probably Chaotic Neutral (with Evil Tendencies).
    Less than a year of being slightly less than a humongous jerk does not negate his entire life before that point. I really don't think Belks will have a proper alignment shift.

Then again, when he does go, there are two main options. Either his soul will be lost in some way that leaves him outside the normal cycle of getting shuffled off to the outer planes, or he'll be one happy little sexy shoeless god of war in a plane where everybody works out their aggression by stabbing everybody else. If anything, the plane of "everybody stabs everybody else" (especially when he's one of the better stabbers) sounds more up his alley than the plane of "pure elemental chaos and giant frogs".

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Not an unexpected discussion, but well written. And I love Belkar's grudging minimum-possible-volume concession.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    As for who did the thwarting I'll just say I disagree and confirm that that was the part that threw me off.
    Edit: With your next post I guess I'll need to ask for re clarification. As the O Chul part you edited in contradicts the "what the order thinks happened" angle for me.
    Soon thwarted Xykon in Azure City.

If one ignored Soon's existence and gave credit for thwarting Xykon to the one who destroyed the Gate, that would fit "Miko actually did it but the Order thinks O-Chul did."

But...that would make no sense.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Well...we've already thwarted Xykon's plans three times, right?

Why is Roy stealing credit for Miko's heroics?
    EDIT: Or what they think were O-Chul's heroics.
    Maybe he's just confused?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The OotS was at the battle, and Xykon didn't gain control of the gate. That's what really matters.

Edit: I believe they significantly bolstered the defenses. As Redcloak said, the plan was for Xykon to invis past the wall, kill some soldiers, zombify them, and open up a second front inside enemy lines. But he stepped in a big heaping pile of adventurers and that went right out the window.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2017-09-12 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well...we've already thwarted Xykon's plans three times, right?

Why is Roy stealing credit for Miko's heroics?
    EDIT: Or what they think were O-Chul's heroics.
    Or maybe, just maybe, Roy's "we" is meant to include the OotS as well as the Azurites, since they're currently working together to stop Xykon. O-chul & Lien are still at Kraagor's Tomb watching Team Evil, right?

Re: the whole prophecy thing - I'm inclined to agree with Roy's view that it has already been fulfilled up to this point. Durkon's vampirification and subsequent subservience to Hel has already put into motion events that would chuck all dwarves to... well, Hel. That and physically coming back to his homeland and killing people too. Doesn't mean that he has to be successful or he won't be stopped. Just that he's the one bringing it about.

As for Odin's gambit, I'd like to think he also wanted to flush out Hel's plan, which requires Hel to be able to attend the Godsmoot in the first place. What I'm really curious about this is that it requires Odin to have kept tabs over the Order (or at the very least knew about Roy's Blood Oath towards Xykon, to ensure that they'll keep going after him) to be able to orchestrate this all.
    "Those who accept their fate find happiness; those who defy it, glory." ~Princess Tutu

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

he didn't blame me.
    as someone with friends and family who have to deal with blame issues being hoisted on them unfairly that line cut pretty damn deep.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    Not an unexpected discussion, but well written. And I love Belkar's grudging minimum-possible-volume concession.
    Less "grudging concession" more "denial-evading confession"...
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

16. - Top - End - #136

RedWizardGuy

OOTS and the Azurites are on the same team at this point.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    And we all know that heart is the 5th element, right?
    Nope, that would be boron.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

This was an absolutely brilliant strip. I especially loved the He didn't blame me part.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Katrover_Swatroad View Post
    More character development! Come to think of it, that was the turning point, wasn't it? That was when Belkar really started thinking about others besides himself (and his cat).

People don't just change who they are in an instant. It doesn't work like that. It takes time, so you don't even know that you're changing. Until one day, you're just a little bit different than you used to be and you can't even tell what the hell happened.

Redemption is a rare and special thing, after all. It is not for everyone.

Let's not forget that Rich is the only person with a vote on how Belkar ends up, and he's dropped more than a few hints toward salvation. Perhaps posthumously... but still.
    Last edited by Manty5; 2017-09-13 at 02:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Aaaand Belkar made me tear up a bit.
    How do these stick figures manage to keep doing that?
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

....waiiiiit. wait.

"Bring Death and Destruction to us all". What if they mean Cleric domains?

What if the prophecy means that Durkon (as oppsed to Durkon*) will join the party as a Vampire cleric of Thor, but with the Death and Destruction domains? If there's no clerics of Hel about it might be there's been nobody in the Dwarven lands with those domains, and they are powerful.

Could that work?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

We had the domain discussion last strip.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

We live inside a dream.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

24. - Top - End - #144

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    We had the domain discussion last strip.
    I Think that particular discussion has been going on ever since it was revealed Hel was Greg's patron deity. It has come into the spotlight a lot more now that the prophecy is front and center though.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    That'll do. What are Haley, Belkar, and Vaarsuvius in this metaphor? Skin, muscle, and gut respectively? With Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy being the glands?
    Nah, Beklar is the skin (easily irritated, often bruised, but still gets in the way of what could damage the rest).

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    If there was only the skeleton maintainig brain and heart together, we'd be pretty boned.

Joke aside, skeleton is a nice metaphor for Durkon's role. I was about to say "bones" the first time, but I thought talking of blood system was funnier. Y'know, since it's what the vampire targeted.
    Booooooooo! Boooooooo!
    I need my "goddamit Barb" gif for this forum.

Also, given the amount of blood Durkon has kept in for the entire team through healing, cardiovascular system does seem quite appropriate for the dwarf.
    Currently taking part in Godbound campaign:
    Oberon, level 3 Dragonborn paladin, Godbound of Sun, Fertility and Health:
    Famed for:
    1) Cutting a Drider Godbound in half with a greatsword
    2) Challenging an Ent Godbound to a fist fight sans godpowers, and winning
    3) Walking the city as a miniature sun and convincing all the rioting citizens that, no, the gods are not dead.
    4) He once bought an apple.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I Think that particular discussion has been going on ever since it was revealed Hel was Greg's patron deity. It has come into the spotlight a lot more now that the prophecy is front and center though.
    If those are his domains (they are Nergal's, are they not? Seemed like some foreshadowing when Malack talked about it to Durkon), then it can indeed be said that, as Roy said, the prophecy is already fulfilled. For killing a bunch of Dwarves, maybe, or maybe just because he brought those domains (because otherwise, honestly, not much destruction was had). It's a somewhat ridiculously literal interpretation, but... prophecies are good for that. If Odin just wanted Durkon to be exiled, he did not "technically" lie to his cleric. He just made it sound really spooky.

But we don't really know what Durkon* is doing either. He isn't defeated yet.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur View Post
    Nope, that would be boron.
    I don't think the heart being the 5th element is that boring.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    I don't think the heart being the 5th element is that boring.
    I think this is a reference to "The Gamers 2", where the Monk in his "philosophical" rambling makes that comment.
    Which, in turn, is a reference to the periodic table.

Funnily enough, it is also the name of the god of death and sleep from the German "The Dark Eye" TRPG.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

There is a lot of speculation about the powers of the Gods regarding what they can foresee and V's prophecy is usuallt taken as a reference point, "Why would Tiamat give tha tprophecy if it leads to the destruction of so many dragons", but we should also consider that is was the same Tiamat's oracle who gave the Ancient Black Dragon Momma the way to find V, and in that case it would be a lot easier to foresee 'if you go after V, he will kill you and everyone related to you', so i'm sticking with the thought that gods have limited power regarding prophecies, or at least Tiamat does.

That, or the oracle's power are exclusive to the question asked, as in, he can instantly see the specific event that someone is asking for, or that he wants to see (thus explaining stuff he predicts without noone asking) but it's not like he sees the whole picture, just a frame of specific event he wants to see, and imagine what it would be to check in every client whole future just in case he wipes hundred of dragons, he does check if the client is going to kill him though