New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Browzers Consistantly freezing up

I've had a serious problem with my web browsers as of late. They will sit and spin for minutes on an end, even when I know I have a stable connection through Skype and such. My main browser is Chrome, but the problem seems to happen on others as well. I'm running Windows 10, version 10.0.15063. I have an ASUS ROG, can't find the model number (help?) My main antivirus is Symantec.

EDIT: The problem started around the start of August, I believe. Which seems to have been the time of the last Windows update.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2017-09-03 at 02:41 PM.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Browzers Consistantly freezing up

I've been getting the same thing. It's in ad supported pages, mostly. Pages from the major news sites seem to be especially prone to this. It seems like there are some recent ads which use up an extreme amount of processor time and network bandwidth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I had a similar problem, and in my case it came from the Flash Macromedia plugin. I've set it to "Authorise" so Flash ads can no longer run, but a button appears when the page contains some Flash so if it's for a feature I want to use I can always activate it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Could be lots of things, guess the first thing to check is how much location information you allow to send, that can really slow things down.

That's assuming everything is fine for your browser, OS, router, ISP provider and path to what you usually connect to and whoever that host is.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ars Technica just posted an article I think is relevant to this discussion. Parole have been hijacking websites to use 100% of our PCs' available resources to mine cryptocurrency.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ryptocurrency/

To be clear, they are abusing a tool that can be used legitimately. Coinhive advertises their service as an ad-free way for web users to supporta site. If used as directed, it won't use a huge amount of resources or lock up the browser as people have reported. The article explains why that's not enough to excuse them completely, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?