New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [PF] Council of Thieves IC - Bastards of Erebus

It was just another day in Westcrown. Its average citizen went about their everyday business, keeping one eye on the patrolling Dottari and the other tracking the path of the sun in the sky. Laughter is few, far between and typically has the cruel tinge of a bully playing with their victims.

Each of you are alone in the city. Either because you have recently come to Westcrown or because you have no one in your life to truly share it with. You have all noticed the corruption, cruelty and fear that hangs over Westcrown like a blade and no one seemed willing to do anything about it.

Separately, you are all approached by an attractive woman who calls herself Janiven. She carries herself with confident and competence, her hand rests lightly on the pummel of her sword.

To Taurg, she says “I can see the intelligence behind your eyes and how you try to hide it from the authorities. You don’t need to hide your light. I am gathering people that are trying to cast off the darkness and prejudice that has fallen over the city.”

To Marcius, she says “You are not alone. There are others know about the night creature. The officials refuses to acknowledge them and, if they continue to ignore the dangers, then the citizens need to take back the night.”

To Fiune, she says “I have heard of you. How you try and bring solace to the downtrodden in Westcrown. I have also heard your inquiries about your mother. While I don’t have any knowledge about her whereabouts, but I can put you in touch with an organization that may have the means to help you in exchange for your aid.”

To Gustavo, she says “The Dottari have grown corrupt and fat. They shake down the lower ranks of society for their last copper in order for them to live their lives in peace, yet allow the upper ranks to get away with anything with impunity, for the right price. There is a group concerned citizens who want to make Westcrown a safer place to live for everyone, not just those that can afford it.”

To Akane, she says “Slavery is an abomination. It is slowly rotting away at the soul of Westcrown. Freedom should be a gods-given right to all people of all races. The pain of their suffering is reflected in your eyes. How would you like to stop living for the moment and help make a difference?”

To Giono, she says “It is good to see your return, young Missepe. We have heard tales of your deeds. You have done much to redeem your family’s name. You can be a beacon of hope in this city, your home. Let us show everyone, the citizens of Westcrown and your family, what true nobility is.”

After giving her spiel, she tells each of you to meet at Vizio’s Tavern that same afternoon for an early dinner to discuss the future plans. She promises more information and specifics if you come.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    None of you have met yet. You can do any research into Janiven, the tavern or anything you want. Just let me know what you are doing and how you are doing it. Afterwards, you can meet up at the tavern and introduce yourselves to each other.
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: [PF] Council of Thieves IC - Bastards of Erebus

Marcius narrows his eyes questioningly at Janiven as she speaks, nodding and grunting in acknowledgement as she leaves. For all of that confidence, most people who say stuff like that end up dead and mangled on the streets within a month. But there's something about this woman...she seems...different. Ordinarily, Marcius would ignore such requests, but this time his curiosity is piqued, and he heads to the tavern as the sun begins to dip in the sky.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Gustavo's interest is peaked by the woman's offer. A safer place for everyone? Not just the rich? Tis a beautiful quest she would have her take on. Gustavo agreed to go to Vizio's tavern, and ran off to get ready before heading that way.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

Taurg is intrigued by the woman's words and agrees. Hos did someone he does not even know see through him. Had he been that lacks? He heads to Vizio’s Tavern early, sits in the corner and orders an ale so he can observe the occupants and see who comes.
    Last edited by HappyMerecat; 2017-09-13 at 05:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Goblin

Gustavo enters into the tavern a short wait after Taurg, walking up to the bar and ordering a glass of mead. She sits and the bar and begins flipping through a book, occasionally glancing around the bar to see if Janiven enters.
    Last edited by Juicy Kisses; 2017-09-13 at 05:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justicar View Post
    To Akane, she says “Slavery is an abomination. It is slowly rotting away at the soul of Westcrown. Freedom should be a gods-given right to all people of all races. The pain of their suffering is reflected in your eyes. How would you like to stop living for the moment and help make a difference?”
    Akane, in her human guise as usual, wanted to play off what the strange woman said as the babbling of one who understood nothing about her. But the way she spoke of slavery...the Kitsune was not a saint by any stretch of the imagination, but slavery was one of the few things she could not stand. She decided to go along with this for now, though she would not act for free at least.

She stepped into Vizio's Tavern, walking confidently up to the barkeep she ordered an ale, then took a seat along the wall with a view of the whole room. She wanted to get a feel for the room before her mystery lady showed up again.
    Last edited by Vozen; 2017-09-13 at 06:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

While waiting for the rest of the invitees to arrive, Janiven goes about the business of preparing food and doing some minor repair work. She acknowledges the presence of those that have arrived and invites them to be seated, offering them some ale to pass the time, but politely refuses to answer any questions at that time until everyone has arrived.

Janiven is an attractive woman who downplays her beauty by wearing rough clothing and armor and adopting a generally stern and no-nonsense attitude. Yet when she feels truly at ease with someone she calls a friend, like the barkeep before she dismisses him for the night, her smile, sense of humor, and quick wit reveal her to be quite a charming and friendly woman.

Dinner is satisfactory but not exceptional. Simple home cooking or at least camp-worthy food. It further reinforces the impression that this is not a full-time operating establishment. Janiven joins them in the meal, during which she engages in idle chat with those have arrived or simply watches as they get to know each other.
    ~There is nothing more tragic than when a loving family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wolves.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Not liking the fact that he was so quickly recognized, Giano resolves to avoid this meeting at all costs. He goes about the tasks he had set for himself this day, healing where he can, serving quietly, encouraging always. The brown hound seems to always be by his side. It is a comfort. Finally, as dark approaches, Giano begins to walk back to his room. This will be my last night in such comfortable rooms, unless I finds source of income.. The thought doesn't worry him, he's slept in his cloak before.

As he reaches the main road that will take him back to the inn, the dog turns the wrong way. Giano calls him, patting his leg, but the hound seems intent on going the opposite direction. Finally, deciding the dog has been a faithful companion this day, Giano decides to follow.

A couple of blocks later, he looks at the creature with wonder. Vizio's Tavern. Lorris seems to have plans for me...

Stepping inside, he sees the woman from earlier. Scanning the room, he notices a few others who are looking at him with what seems to be expectation. He walks into the bar and sits, back to the wall.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGirl

Fiune, happy with what she has discovered about Janiven, walks into the small tavern and introduces herself, "Hello everyone, I am Fiune Treecreek, Hedge Witch of the Dhaenfens. It's a pleasure to make y'all's acquaintance." After the introduction, she enjoys the meal and conversation, not saying much, but answering questions that are put to her.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

Taurg joins the others when invited. Clearly all the people here were part of this group. He partakes in the food and nurses his ale. Taking in all he can about the others. He says little and maintains his facade of someone without intelligence. He says little, throws in blank looks and the occasional off timed laugh.

11. - Top - End - #11

Once dinner is over, and with still a few hours to go before sundown, Janiven locks the front door and shutters the windows, then takes a deep breath and thanks you all for attending the meeting. She again assures them that they’ll be done in less than an hour, with plenty of time left over for everyone to get home before sunset. Her speech is short, but delivered with great passion.

“Again, thank you for agreeing to meet with me here. I have chosen each of you for a singular reason—everyone here, myself included, has suffered, whether we realize it or not. I have lived in Westcrown my whole life, and although I love this city, I must admit, as must you, that despite our peace and prosperity, we continue to suffer. Fear should not be an expected part of life, and yet each night brings fear to our doorsteps. Yes, Westcrown has been safe from war and famine for nearly seventy years, and yes, our businesses has prospered—but this safety and prosperity has been bought in the coinage of fear and prayers to Hell. Other lands live free from tyranny. Other cities do not fear the night. Other governments do not cede the streets to monsters of the infernal shadows. Westcrown was once such a place, and she wants to be such a place again. Westcrown is not only her buildings and canals and docks and history—she is also her people. Westcrown is our friends and neighbors, our mothers and fathers, our siblings and cousins, our sons and daughters! With but a small group of supporters and dedicated brothers and sisters, we can earn the trust and admiration of those people. A Westcrown free of these shadowy beasts that stalk our streets is one step closer to a Westcrown free of the devil that is the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune!”

Janiven’s words are, of course, treason—everyone in Westcrown knows a friend of a friend of a friend who was taken away by a Hellknight or executed after a swift trial for speaking less treasonous words than what Janiven has just uttered.

"I am more than willing to answer any questions you might have," she continues. Every now and then, she glances at the door as if she is expecting someone and is growing increasingly concerned that they haven't arrived yet.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGirl

Fiune raises her hand timidly, "What do you propose we do about it? If you don't mind me asking..."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

Taurg has a few questions, but for now he'll wait to see if others ask them and if they don't then he'll ask them if it seems wise.

14. - Top - End - #14

"We believe that a small group of like-minded friends can improve the lives of the people of Westcrown, but we must take care not to appear as rebels or rioters. We will form our own band of protectors, and work to win the support of the citizens by doing good works and providing what aid they can.

"Key to this tactic is the fact that Westcrown is largely ignored by the rulers of Cheliax as a home-in-exile for the old nobility. As long as we work to win the hearts of Westcrown’s citizens by good deeds and avoid as many direct entanglements with the government as we can, the House of Thrune will continue to ignore what they’ll interpret as “petty squabbling” in the old capital.

"We are all children of Westcrown, after all, and a street war would only damage that which we hope to protect. Instead, if free-thinkers us were to organize a sort of “citizen’s watch” that took steps to protect the people of Westcrown, maybe some day, we can return the city to the splendor and glory it possessed before Aroden’s death and the rise of the House of Thrune."

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGirl

Fiune nods thoughtfully, "And, where would our little group begin such a large-scale operation? Is there anything you've got in mind? I'm pretty busy trying to hold back the city's onslaught on nature, which I think is a good thing to do. Is there some way that my efforts can be reassigned to something more substantial?"
    Last edited by apheline; 2017-09-14 at 02:14 PM. Reason: punctuation mistake

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Marcius listens to the conversations with a sort of morbid fascination. "Delivering us all to our deaths...", he mutters under his breath, but does not say any more.

17. - Top - End - #17

"Of course you will not being doing it alone. You are merely another cell in an organization my partner and I have founded; you are not even the first such group. With time, more cells like this will be formed until we are on every street corner and the people can walk without fear once again."

Every now and then, she looks at the entrance in state of both confusion and concern.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Listening to this woman, everything seemed to click into place for Giano. He had come back to Westcrown seeking an opportunity to do good for her inhabitants, and here was that opportunity.

"I will do this thing. I will join you!"

He can see the dog sitting on his haunches, just outside the door. His tongue is hanging out of a mouth that looked like it was laughing...
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2017-09-14 at 04:14 PM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Goblin

Gustavo takes a drink from her mead, and without looking up from her book says,

"I shall join as well. I would like to see where this goes."

20. - Top - End - #20

Janiven smiles as one after another, the small group pledges their aid. Hope filled her chest.

Sudden excited pounding at the front door disrupts the meeting. Immediately adopting a defensive posture, Janiven peers through a window at whoever’s knocking, then swiftly moves to the door, unlocks it, and opens it. In stumbles an out-of-breath and frightened-looking teenager.

"Morosino? What are you doing here?" she asks.

“They’ve got Arael!” he calls out, then immediately doubles over in a fit of coughing brought on by his long run. Janiven’s face grows grim as she comforts Morosino and asks him to explain himself; in a moment the lad recovers enough to spurt out, “The dottari nabbed Arael, and the Hellknights of the Rack are trying to get custody of him! There’s a bunch of Hellknights on their way here now! I only just made it in here; they’ve already surrounded us!”

At that point, the sound of clanking armor advancing on the tavern becomes apparent.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"As I said, delivering us all to our deaths..." Marcius mutters again before raising his voice: "So...anyone know a way out of here that we won't be seen? I'd prefer not to fight through a troop of hellknights today."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

Taurg's brows climb his face as he rose to his feet. "A back door?" He glad he brought his longspear.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+8)[16] to read the honesty of Janiven & Morosino
    Last edited by HappyMerecat; 2017-09-14 at 10:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Giano looks at the woman who called them together. Nothing rings untrue about what she said. Even if she brought this down on them. "Surely you have another way out of here? Show them while I hold the door!".

He pushes the heavy table over in front of the door, throwing any locks and turning back to the others, "Go!"

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Goblin

Gustavo closes her book and hops down from her stool, moving towards the front door.

"I've got your back, Arms." she says, gesturing towards Guano.

"If we can bottleneck them through the door, I should be able to hold a few of them off." She waves her hands and energy crackles from them in a rainbow like pattern.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Preparing to cast color spray if they start coming through the door.
    Last edited by Juicy Kisses; 2017-09-15 at 02:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGirl

Fiune shakes her head and begins to load her crossbow. "Any grates to the sewers in the kitchen? Any way out at all?"
    Last edited by apheline; 2017-09-15 at 09:29 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Giano glances out the small window in the front door as he hastily erects a crude barricade. He sees a large group of six heavily armed and armored Hellknights and a dozen armigers (new inductees in the organization that serve the Hellknights as squires and porters) in the streets surrounding Vizio’s Tavern and advancing down the street, yet Janiven remains calm.

“I’m sorry about this. It was not part of the plan,” she says as the Hellknights start hammering on the locked doors of the place and demanding in booming voices for those within to come out and give themselves up. “Luckily, we planned for all contingencies. Follow me.” She and Morosino swiftly move behind the tavern’s decrepit bar, where they lift up a heavy trap door in the floor.

“This shaft drops down into the Westcrown sewers. By fleeing along this route, we should be able to lose the Hellknights quickly,” she breathlessly says as the pounding on the door increases.

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGirl

"Wow," Fiune mumbles, following Janiven, "I didn't really expect there to be a grate in the kitchen to the sewers..."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Taurg

Taurg looks at the hole in the floor. "I assume there is no light and light would be helpful?" He reaches into his backpack and pulls out a sunrod.

29. - Top - End - #29

Goblin

Gustavo waits for everyone to be through the trapdoor before following behind.

30. - Top - End - #30

In the basement that the panel led to, you find her opening a small secret door in the back of a floor-level cupboard. Janiven directs Morosino, Taurg and Fiune to crawl through the door and down the tunnel into the sewers. She tells you that Morosino knows the way.

"Keep going. I need to slow them down," she says.

She quickly closes the kitchen door, pulls down shelves to create obstacles, and uses a tanglefoot bag to further complicate things, following the last member of your team through the secret tunnel.