New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Spheres of Power] The Auspician's Handbook: Let Fate be my love henceforth!

Yessss fate handbook is here! and it looks good!

Here is an idea from our group where we already have some homebrew talents of our own.

Since the fate sphere is strongly related to alignment we like to our characters to focus on those talents linked to theirs, this of course limits us a lot but we still like it that way. For example a lawfull evil cleric would not have the FREEDOM WORD talent but instead something like this...

Prision (word)

The target drops to his knees and is pinned for as long as you concentrate (Will negates). The target is allowed a new Will save each round to end this effect early. You may always spend a spell point as a free action to allow this word to continue for 1 round per caster level without concentration.

Having words that cancel each other is a good way to mantain the multiple corners of the alignment axis a constant theme within the sphere.

Hope this inspires you a bit...
    english not base lenguage, sry for the grammar, thanks.

Kael Proudmoure, Swifblade (avatar by Loki Eremes)
    Unlimited arcane technique: Spell, Sword, and Fist.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Spheres of Power] The Auspician's Handbook: Let Fate be my love henceforth!

you know its more like shackles to me were one word from divine makes sinner kneel before his presence prison wigt me its mass counter part
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regarding motifs, I've thought of a more radical idea to keep them effect-wise limited, but still not being that wasteful for a talent. Instead of requiring for each motif a single talent, require only one general motif talent, which merely grants the capability to use motifs. The actual effects are assigned to other Fate talents. You get on motif ability for one Fate talent. Not sure if the particular motif should be assigned to a particular Fate talent, as this would require a 1:1 relationship with motifs and Fate talents. Also maybe someone likes a particular motif and doesn't like the associated Fate talent. So it seems preferable, if you can choose the motif you want. If they are roughly balanced in power, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Maybe allow then a Fate talent, which only grants 3 motifs.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Moderate update time:
    • Half the motifs have been written. Most give more interesting effects than numerical bonuses, and those that do give bonuses scale better.
    • The inevitable now has a player-controlled means of regaining kismet and a couple deeds were fixed.
    • Several issues in wording were fixed.

Next I will be adding magic item rules for motifs.

Quote Originally Posted by pilvento View Post
    Yessss fate handbook is here! and it looks good!

Here is an idea from our group where we already have some homebrew talents of our own.

Since the fate sphere is strongly related to alignment we like to our characters to focus on those talents linked to theirs, this of course limits us a lot but we still like it that way. For example a lawfull evil cleric would not have the FREEDOM WORD talent but instead something like this...

Prision (word)

The target drops to his knees and is pinned for as long as you concentrate (Will negates). The target is allowed a new Will save each round to end this effect early. You may always spend a spell point as a free action to allow this word to continue for 1 round per caster level without concentration.

Having words that cancel each other is a good way to mantain the multiple corners of the alignment axis a constant theme within the sphere.

Hope this inspires you a bit...
    That is definitely something I will consider. I am brushing up against 20,000 words, though.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm a bit worried bout the balance of Reversal.
    It is cheap and easy to get, it has no save, few things are immune to it and it has several large effects on the game.

1. It allows for impossible to lose situations. Such as when your AC is high enough the enemy needs a 20 to hit, shame they cant roll a 20 anymore.
    2. Many monsters can no longer ever crit as they needed a 20.
    3. It effects all d20 rolls both enemy and ally.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

I was going to post a long-winded mathematical breakdown of the Wheel because the way it was written made me think the bonus increased from +1 -> +2+1d4 -> +3+2d4 but after rereading it again I got it wrong, the d4s just make it apply to different categories and they can stack. The math checks out too. Thought I had sniffed out something broken but it ends up being fine, woops!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giddonihah View Post
    I'm a bit worried bout the balance of Reversal.
    It is cheap and easy to get, it has no save, few things are immune to it and it has several large effects on the game.

1. It allows for impossible to lose situations. Such as when your AC is high enough the enemy needs a 20 to hit, shame they cant roll a 20 anymore.
    2. Many monsters can no longer ever crit as they needed a 20.
    3. It effects all d20 rolls both enemy and ally.
    I agree that since there are no default saves, it should be checked if talents do need a save. I didn't take note Reversal of in need of a save, but you don't spend SP to affect enemies after all.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"