New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Gundam: Wrath of the Stars IC

"We're still working out those details, Miss Itano. I wouldn't call the Gundams 'regular' units by any stretch of the imagination, but in the broader sense, yes, you'll be joining the fleet as a unit within it. We'll be forming battle groups once everyone reaches the rendezvous, and the Vengeance will be part of one. I can't be more specific than that since we're still not sure of the numbers that will make it there. Suffice to say that your team won't be alone in combat any longer; there will be other troops and ships there to help you, and you them. But you won't be reassigned, if that's what you're worried about. The Vengeance will still be your carrier and Captain Brighton will still be your Captain."

Admiral Maxwell takes a deep breath as he finishes that sentence, and seems to look back in Arianna's direction.

"Now, Director Skye, can you help explain this business with that pilot?"

The silver-haired woman nods.

"Certainly, Admiral. The long and short of it is that the man who has been piloting the Gyro Gundam is not the real Gabriel Goldstein. The real Goldstein's body was found five days ago, hidden in an inactive maintenance tunnel on his home colony. He's been dead for quite awhile, at least two months, but forensic teams were able to determine who he was from DNA they managed to recover. I informed the Captain of this once I was able to identify the Gyro on scan, and Captain Brighton made contact with the tech team here. She has confirmed that whoever the pilot actually is, he has Newtype abilities, though whether they're natural or artificial has yet to be determined. We'll be doing our best to co-operate with Consortium investigators to identify him, but it may be a day or two before we have a definitive identity."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

One detail really stands out to Athrusa-- as she blinks and looks at Skye when she's called 'Director' Skye. Eh...?

But she blinks a few more times and listens to the story of the Gyro Gundam. An impostor...? That sounded kind of terrifying... "He seemed pretty cooperative... I guess he just wanted to pretend and slip onboard?" she shudders about what could've happened if they didn't catch that detail.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Firbolg in the Playground

"What? But... what?" Yuuki sputters. "Do you think he was a Raggie infiltrator or something? How could he even have gotten past security if he wasn't the real pilot?"
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Ivan is similarly confused. How didn't he notice it. He's a newtype, right? He was told he would be better at sensing others intentions. It was something he was ever any good at, but the lack of recognition on his part still disturbed him.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #485

NinjaGuy

"We think he, or whatever group he might be working with, were planning on stealing the Gyro once it had completed its trials, but we don't really know yet," Arianna explains, "And as for how he got past security, he certainly looks like the real Gabriel Goldstein did. He may have undergone cosmetic treatments, including both surgery and gene therapy, in order to assume the identity. That's only just a theory, though, there are other possibilities-"

Admiral Gato interrupts Arianna gently.

"Indeed, such as clones. Some outlaw groups use them to gain access to sensitive areas. He had to have had some sort of training in order to be able to shield his intentions from Mister Tessera, though."

"Yes, Admiral. As I mentioned before, the investigation is still ongoing. That does narrow it down some, though. Until we can determine just who he is, and what his real intentions were, we should consider him extremely dangerous, Captain."

Captain Brighton nods. "I've already assigned four marines per shift to guard him. I don't have many to spare, but I agree. Once we reach Consortium space, we'll be able to hand him off to the investigators, yes?"

Arianna nods. "That shouldn't be a problem. In the meantime, Anaheim will continue their investigation. Hopefully, by the time we reach home, we'll know what's really going on as far as he's concerned."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

"... I guess we'll have to make sure our Gundams and everything are extra-locked down, too..." Athrusa didn't sound like she was deeply comfortable with the idea of a potentially very dangerous criminal being onboard, but they had no other choice.

She doesn't bring up the topic of clones, but she's kind of baffled that was just a possibility...

7. - Top - End - #487

NinjaGuy

Captain Brighton nods at Athrusa's comment.

"We'll be posting extra security measures for the mobile suit deck as well as the suits themselves. Once we've ironed out the details, I'll send everyone who needs to know a data brief about it, since there may be some new procedures, especially for maintenance personnel."

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Lt. IVan Tessera

IVan is ashamed that the Admiral is making excuses. He will have to strive to do better to live up to the needs of the admiralty. It was obviously no longer enough that he could killed other mobile weapons. There was a battle to be fought within. Anyone could potentially be the enemy, and the enemy must be destroyed.

"Sirs, what is the plan for manning the Gyro Gundam mobile weapon, due to the absence of its pilot?"
    he asks. His mobile suit is nigh on impossible to operate without newtype potential, but the idea of sabotage did cross his mind. He glances over to the development crew heads for the Sasha and Gyro, eying them suspiciously. Shouldn't they have noticed something as well? He felt isolated, and weak.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

9. - Top - End - #489

"If you think there might be clones, are there going to be any changes for security for us pilots?" Yuuki asks. The idea that someone would clone someone to use them as a spy seems absurd to Yuuki, but then again, she doesn't put anything past the Ragalians.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

10. - Top - End - #490

NinjaGuy

Admiral Gato and Captain Brighton look at each other through the pickups for a moment, before the former speaks.

"Well, you haven't been briefed on this yet, but the Vengeance is rather short on pilots and suits. Unless there's someone among either your or Anaheim's technical teams who has piloting experience and would be willing to step forward, it'll be put into storage until the Vengeance reaches Consortium space. Once there, they can provide a new pilot for it."

Captain Brighton nods.

"That's the short of it. I'll put together a briefing for you later, Mister Tessera, to help familiarize you with our current situation." She then looks to Yuuki. "A few, since pilots are considered part of the maintenance staff. I won't go into specifics now; I'd rather wait until I can give everyone involved a full brief on it. Expect another briefing in a couple of hours or so on the new measures."

She then surveys the entire room before going on.

"Now, as to our next move. As my pilots know, we originally came to this system hoping to receive aid, not render it. Unfortunately, it seems we won't find much here that we don't make ourselves. If the system had already been cleared, we'd have tried to salvage what we could from the aftermath of the battle here. Our intervention to save the AAF and Anaheim teams and suits here has made our presence known to the enemy. Although we've driven them off, they will return, and with force we can't match. We can't spare the time to scavenge now."

A map of the Galaxy appears on one of the vidscreens, that zooms in on the sector, then back out, showing the distance from the ship's current location to Consortium space. It's going to be several long FTL hops, with transitions in border systems that aren't affiliated with any of the major or minor factions. The first hop is to a system about a week's travel away. An infamous system, an independent system colonized first by a bunch of outcasts, but one that now firmly maintains its neutrality in order to preserve its reputation as a place where anything goes and anyone is welcome, so long as they have the strength to protect themselves. Where the only law is, there are no laws here. New Hong Kong.

"We'll be jumping out within the hour to New Hong Kong. It's not an ideal destination, but the enemy advance forces are unlikely to follow us there."

And for good reason. The system is infamous for being located in a corridor of space with an unusual number of old stars nearing the end of their life cycles. Current estimates put the system within the blast radius of at least two different stars that are predicted to go nova within the next 500 or so years. Settling any planets in that area is a fool's errand, but it gives the system another attraction for those who like to flirt with danger. An unlikely place for the enemy to even bother searching.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

"... I hope we can find more allies... maybe I'm just biased, but it feels sad... for a Gundam to just go get mothballed," Athrusa muses to herself, though pipes down as she listens to their briefing. She gazes towards the system, and while she doesn't understand New Hong Kong's particular... eccentricities, it makes her feel a little more at ease there's /a/ pocket of the world that's relatively safe.

12. - Top - End - #492

"Hmm..." Yuuki laces her fingers behind her head, contemplating the map. "If we weren't able to scavenge here, does that mean we're going to be resupplying at any of the transition systems? I know it's mostly my fault, but the Shura does burn through a lot of fuel and munitions each sortie, and we can always use more spare parts."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

13. - Top - End - #493

NinjaGuy

Captain Brighton nods.

"Yes, we'll be stopping there for fuel and whatever their markets have that might be helpful. I'm not sure if medical facilities capable of helping you will be available there, Athrusa, but we might be able to procure some equipment there that could possibly at least start the healing process for you. We won't be taking a long layover there, though, so I'll need lists from everyone on things you need that we're either low on or don't have, to make the best possible use of the time we'll have. Any other questions?"

14. - Top - End - #494

Yuuki shakes her head, and looks over towards the other pilots. "I can't think of anything. Can you guys?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

IVan Tessera

IVan doesn’t really care for cities. Usually he spends any time he needs to for appearances and then heads back into whatever base or ship he has to for his stay. “I do need to see the ship doctor, and so I have no questions at this time. I’ll await the documents and reports,” he mumbles.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa bites her lip as she hears IVan talk about the ship doctor -- hoping that there won't be trouble with Nurse Celeste also being an Artificial Ragalian. She couldn't wait to get back to her ward and have a chat with her...

"Nothing outside of the meds, I guess... and Nurse Celeste would know more about what to order than me."

17. - Top - End - #497

NinjaGuy

Nurse Celeste looks to Captain Brighton and nods.

"We'll send over the list of what all we need."

Captain Brighton nods.

"Very well then. We'll be assigning quarters after the next briefing, but for now, we've tasked a few ensigns with helping you technical people find your way around. Until the next briefing, everyone's dismissed."

Most of the folks present stand up and begin forming little groups to chatter, as several of the ship's ensigns file in and get acquainted with some of the various groups. Nurse Celeste pats Athrusa on the shoulder.

"Just a moment, and then we'll head to the medbay, ok?"

She quickly makes her way over to IVan. Standing next to her is like standing next to a ray of sunshine. She's definitely a Newtype of some sort, probably enhanced as well.

"Lieutenant, please follow us. I'm Celeste, one of the nurses aboard. Athrusa and I are heading back to the medbay; I'll be sure and have a doctor examine you right away. But, as a preliminary, can you give me a general idea of what's troubling you? It will help us be able to help you quicker."

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa smiles at Nurse Celeste and is about to follow her, but kind of shrinks behind her a little as she looks towards IVan, uncertain as to what her reaction might be; she rubs at the side of her that's still thoroughly bandaged, and looks to Celeste again. She does wonder what's troubling the new man though...

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

IVan Tessera

IVan follows Nurse Celeste to the infirmary. "Ever since I've arrived from our last mission, I've been seeing things that can possibly be true. This has lead to spasms, cold sweats, headaches. I don't want to think the worst, so I eagerly await your analysis," he says, avoiding looking at Athrusa as best he can.

20. - Top - End - #500

NinjaGuy

Celeste pats Athrusa's shoulder reassuringly, before leading them both towards the lift to the medbay. She stops for a moment as they reach it, placing herself between Athrusa and IVan, and IVan and the lift.

"I see. I believe I can help you, Lieutenant, though I must ask, what are you seeing that can't be true?" It sounds as though she already has an idea, but she wants him to say it.

21. - Top - End - #501

While Nurse Celeste is still occupied with IVan, Yuuki slides up to Athrusa. "So, um," she starts out hesitantly. "I wanted to say again I'm sorry for how I treated you. How I've been treating you, I guess. I should've believed the captain."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa stops for a moment as she looks to Yuuki, glancing back between IVan and Celeste and sounding a bit nervous about 'that which can't possibly be true', but... Nurse Celeste would have much more of an idea of how to articulate it than she can. She looks to Yuuki instead.

"... um--" she sounds nervous in turn, tilting her head. "It did hurt, but... thank you, I appreciate the apology." She scratches her cheek. "It feels like... it feels like we won't be able to get off the ship and live a more normal life for a while, so I wanted to... really have a friend my age, you know, to help get through this, Yuuki? Thanks..."

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

IVan Tessera

"Well, it's the strangest thing," IVan starts. "I keep seeing Ragalians aboard this ship. And Ragalians are the enemy. Naturally, this is triggering my conditioning. I've been taking my emergency supply of synaptic syndrome pills to curb my response, but I expect I'll need a permanent supply." He's embarassed that he needs help. His training was something he relied on in the battlefield, and now it was turning on him.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2018-10-27 at 07:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #504

NinjaGuy

Nurse Celeste nods.

"I see. Well, you should be aware that while there are no actual Ragalians aboard the ship, what you may be seeing may be at least partially real." She inclines her head slightly towards Athrusa, without moving from between the injured girl and IVan. "Miss Athrusa is an Artificial Ragalian. She and I are both Qualians; I'm an enhanced Newtype, if you're curious. Miss Athrusa's body was altered significantly during her enhancement. It's...actually why she's still injured so badly. We don't have the facilities here to heal the damage that was done to her during the evacuation on Stechkin, that's why the Captain mentioned possibly trying to acquire the equipment we need at New Hong Kong. I don't know if that will help with what you're experiencing, but I can have our neuro-psych specialist examine you, if you'd like to be sure."

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

IVan Tessera

IVan's pulse quickens and his face grows more pallid and wet. Ragalians are the enemy. He right hand snaps to his personal defense sidearm on his hip. However, despite the murderous intent he is emitting, he doesn't draw it and fire it inside the ship. Not after the last time. He got in a lot of trouble for that incident. He does his best not to acknowledge Athrusa's existence, but his mind still races. He merely glares at her. Would it be a good disguise for a spy, putting in a fake raggie to hide the actions of a real one? Or would that be too obvious? Or would it being too obvious be precisely why it could be overlooked?

"Yes, I would very much appreciate that,"
    he says coldly. He says little. Hopefully the nurse who was also a modified newtype would understand his meaning.

26. - Top - End - #506

NinjaGuy

As IVan's hand snaps down to his pistol, Celeste simply eyes him, but he can hear her in his head, a ray of calm that pierces the aggression.

Oh dear, yes, let's get you checked out. I can feel how amped up you are, and that's not healthy. Can you try and stay calm with Athrusa in the lift, or should I send her on ahead?

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa looks rather deeply nervous when she hears the click, biting her lip and turning away; she didn't really need to be a Newtype to feel the tension in the lift, shifting closer and slightly behind Yuuki in turn. She's really glad Nurse Celeste is here...

28. - Top - End - #508

Insensitive as she may be sometimes, Yuuki does at least recognize the gravity of the situation enough to step further in front of Athrusa. She hopes nothing happens, but she does steel herself to try to tackle the larger man in case he does anything.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

IVan Tessera

IVan twitches, doing his best not to respond to Yuuki's intentions. "No, I'd rather keep them in my sight. While it may be spiking my reaction, I'm cautious due to the recent developments," he says to Nurse Celeste using his telepathy. He loosens the grip on his sidearm, reacting well to the nurse's aura. "I'd like to get the medbay quickly."

30. - Top - End - #510

NinjaGuy

All right then. Stay close to me, ok?

Nurse Celeste moves aside so that IVan can get on the lift. The calm doesn't cease, instead it grows slightly stronger as Ivan gets closer to her. She smiles at Yuuki and, then at Athrusa.

"Miss Itano, would you mind helping Athrusa get back to her room once we reach the medbay? I need to stick with Lieutenant Tessera until the doctor can see him."

Meanwhile, in the medbay, Agrias slowly awakens, finding herself flat on her back, with wires and tubes everywhere. A nurse bustles in, blinks at her, and smiles.

"How are you feeling, Lieutenant Oak? You gave us quite a scare."