New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Gundam: Wrath of the Stars IC

Admiral Maxwell nods in an understanding manner. He seems very impressed with Athrusa, and unperturbed about her appearance as an Artificial Ragalian, though perhaps that's because he knows what the Qualians did to her.

"Resourceful, too. We'll try to get you to a better medical facility as quickly as we can. Hopefully, the testing center hasn't been hit. They should have a better-equipped medbay there." He seems to look back to Captain Brighton. "Once you're secure in FTL, Nina, I'd appreciate if you'd forward your technical team's report on the Nephilim and the armaments that were stolen from the enemy. They might hold some clues we can use."

Captain Brighton nods. "Of course, sir."

While Admiral Maxwell has been talking, Admiral Gato seems to have been staring intently at Yuuki, not in a hostile manner, rather, he seems to be trying to place her face. After a moment, he speaks up, looking at her.

"And you, Miss. Forgive this old man his poor memory, but you were part of the Shura's technical staff, weren't you?...Itano, wasn't it? What happened to the Shura's pilots?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

When the Admiral addresses her, Yuuki jerks to attention, her focus having wandered during the speeches. "Uh, yes. Sir."

Yuuki grimaces, taking a moment to get her thoughts in order. "Yeah, I'm Yuuki Itano. My dad's Itachi, the head of the Shura Project. We...don't know what happened to the pilot candidates. The last time I saw any of them was when the evacuation alarm was sounded on Stechkin. They said they were going to try to help buy some more time to get the suits onto the Vengeance, but...they never made it back."
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

3. - Top - End - #213

NinjaGuy

"I see." Admiral Gato's expression grows serious and somber for a moment, before his expression softens, and he gives Yuuki an apologetic look as Captain Brighton speaks.

"Yuuki was able to knock out the destroyers' I-fields with the Shura, and she was able to keep the ship safe during our escape. She's a good pilot, even though she's only had civilian training. It's too bad she's not a soldier, we could use more pilots like her." Despite their earlier confrontation, Captain Brighton clearly isn't going to deny the truth about Yuuki's skills. "She's not interested in enlisting, though, and I'm sure the Admiral would rather have a military pilot in the Shura. Do you think the test center might have an extra pilot to spare, sir?"

The Admirals all look at each other again for a moment, then simultaneously all look away for a moment. Admiral Stazi clears his throat loudly, and Admiral Gato gives Yuuki a sad look, before speaking. Admiral Maxwell simply wears a grim look.

"I doubt it, Nina. The enemy surge is spooking the allied governments. They're worried we don't have enough soldiers to stem the tide. Even the other races in the RA are taking steps to bolster ranks. The council voted while you were engaged. All able-bodied persons over age 16 are to report for fitness assessments as of 1030 hours, GST. The civilian tech teams you have aboard are now officially military personnel, and are hereby assigned to the Vengeance and its mobile suit complement."

Admiral Maxwell's tone sounds as grim as the look on his face. Captain Brighton's eyes have widened in a look of sheer shock. She wasn't expecting this.

"That includes both of your active pilots, and any injured personnel you may have aboard."

Admiral Stazi nods and speaks in his turn.

"The Ooontaa, Gh'ree, and Palanteer are also lowering their age of conscription and drafting every able-bodied sentient they can, so rest assured, it isn't just humanity bearing the burden of this."

Captain Brighton takes a moment to compose herself, but when she does, it's clear she's very angry. Nurse Celeste backs a step away from the Captain, and closes her eyes, face twisted in concentration. Captain Brighton speaks through clenched teeth.

"That won't be much comfort, -sir-. I now have a ship full of people who may rightly believe they've been shanghai'd. And as the sirs are aware, I am short on security personnel at the moment, since I was not outfitted with a complement of marines before this voyage to make room for the extra personnel needed for the Gundams." She steps forwards, somewhat between Yuuki and the pickup, fists clenched so hard her suit's gloves creak. "I will need official dispensation from every government I have civilian personnel aboard from to prove that I had nothing to do with this."

All three Admirals nod in unison, clearly understanding her position. None of them seem happy about this.

"You sent a list earlier, we'll work from that, and send the documents as soon as we can. Even with this many people, it shouldn't take long. Expect it in a few hours."

"I will still need to figure out how to announce this, but that's a start at least."

Admiral Gato gives Yuuki another apologetic look around Captain Brighton.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Itano. I know the war has not been kind to your family, and now to have this duty thrust upon you is not easy, but these are the times we live in. Were it up to me, I would have made a different decision, but I can only follow the orders I have been given."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa doesn't look too surprised, but she worries for Yuuki. For her... well, she'd never known civilian life. She was picked up in an age where she doesn't even remember her family or her ruined colony, so her entire life has just been being a lab rat, sold to the highest bidders to do their mobile suit testing... it didn't really matter whether she was officially 'military' or not given she never knew anything better. But Yuuki...

At least, Captain Brighton looks incensed, and she can only hope she can properly stand up for her. The situation is dire, but...

She quietly salutes and murmurs, "You... you have my support, at least, Captain Brighton. ... I won't go anywhere else -- I don't have anywhere else but the Vengeance. You can count me in."

5. - Top - End - #215

NinjaGuy

Admiral Maxwell's expression softens, and he chuckles slightly, as Captain Brighton's head snaps around to hear what Athrusa has to say. Her expression is still tight-lipped, but she nods once. She doesn't exactly smile; she's still far too angry at the situation for that, but Athrusa gets the idea that she is thankful for the younger woman's willingness to serve. She looks back to the screen as Admiral Maxwell speaks.

"You're a dedicated young lady, aren't you, Athrusa? That's good, but don't push yourself too hard while you're still injured." He smiles, his tone kind. "That's an order."

6. - Top - End - #216

"Of course you would've," Yuuki says with a bitter laugh. "Forcing civilians to fight probably won't make you very popular. I guess that means I've gotten press ganged twice in one day."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

7. - Top - End - #217

NinjaGuy

Captain Brighton opens her mouth to say something, but is quickly interrupted by Admiral Gato, who holds up a hand with a knowing smile on his face.

"It's all right, Nina." He regards Yuuki with a bit of mirth in his eyes. "I suppose you have, but if I know Nina, she did it out of necessity, and by her own question that started us down this path, she didn't intend for you to stay press ganged for long. Unfortunately, it seems the length of your service isn't up to her anymore. Or me, for that matter."

He chuckles, and goes on. "And you're right, forcing civilians to fight wouldn't make me popular, but that's not why I wouldn't have made that decision. Part of my job, as a commanding officer, is to try and make the best decisions for everyone under me. Sometimes that works for everyone and everyone is happy, or can at least tolerate the decision. Sometimes, it doesn't work for one person, or one ship, or one battle group. Then I'm not popular, but I always do my best to try and give the job at hand to the people I think are best suited to handle it. I don't make a decision based on whether it will make me popular, I make it because I am trying to do the best to protect my homeland, and my people. Conscripting or 'press ganging', as you put it, many new people, isn't going to solve the problem the enemy has caused for us. I advised our leaders of my position on the matter, and they chose to ignore me. That happens, in the chain of command, sometimes. And so, we are forced to make due with the decision as it stands. But there is another component to this that I find intriguing. Tell me, Miss Itano, do you believe in fate, or destiny? Or perhaps, luck?"

8. - Top - End - #218

"I don't think fate is real," Yuuki replies after a moment's hesitation, "And if I have luck, it's all bad."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

9. - Top - End - #219

NinjaGuy

Admiral Gato nods, then smiles.

"Mmm, luck is what you make of it, I think. But as far as fate goes...I am unsure. You see, ever since the first Gundam was built, there is a peculiarity that seems to follow the suits that carry that name, regardless of who built them, or what they were originally intended for. They seem to choose their own pilots. Somehow, the right person is in the right place at the right time, and they become the suit's pilot, regardless of whether even the chosen person -thinks- they are the right person. It's an odd theory, and one that can really never be truly proven, but history does seem to show a pattern." He leans forward. "A pattern that seems to have continued with both you and Miss Athrusa. Neither of you were the intended pilots for your machines, but here you are. So, the question for you is now, will you lend us the Gundam's strength to turn the tide against the enemy that once again besieges us? An enemy that has stolen much from you, Miss Itano, and will continue to do so until nothing is left? Or will you turn your back on us all?"

Spoiler: Compell
    Show
    Admiral Gato is attempting to appeal to Yuuki's thirst for Vengeance, trying to get her to accept being conscripted as the Gundam Shura's pilot, since it's clear she doesn't want to be a soldier.

10. - Top - End - #220

Yuuki's face curls into a snarl at the Admiral's remarks. "No, I'll fight the Ragalians. But not because of some dumb superstition. I'll do it because I want my pound of flesh."

Spoiler
    Show
    Accepting the Compel.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

11. - Top - End - #221

NinjaGuy

Admiral Gato nods seriously, but then his image, along with the other Admirals', flickers for a moment as the familiar sensation of the ship transitioning to FTL flight washes over everyone on the Vengeance. Captain Brighton takes a deep breath.

"Very well, then, Miss Itano. Nina, I'll send the documents for both of them as soon as they're ready, along with everyone else. I believe the static indicates you've transitioned to FTL?"

Captain Brighton nods tersely.

"Yes sir."

"You have duties to attend to, then, Nina, and we shouldn't keep you." Admiral Stazi admonishes, smiling in an understanding manner. "The rest of our questions can wait awhile, until after you've gotten things settled."

Admiral Maxwell nods.

"We've got more than enough to keep us busy as it is," he says with a chuckle. "Though, we appreciate everyone's dedication. Get some rest during this jump; I fear you may need it when you get to Cordellia."

Captain Brighton nods again, and finally gives a small, tired smile.

"Thank you, sir. We'll be in touch, then." She salutes, and they return the gesture, before the contact cuts off. As soon as the screen go dark, she looks to the younger pilots.

"You heard the Admiral. Get some rest, both of you. Athrusa, you and Celeste can return to the medbay. Yuuki, stay here for a moment."

Nurse Celeste rubs her temple, and steps forwards to Athrusa's chair.
    "Yes, ma'am." With that, Athrusa is quickly wheeled out into the hall, and back towards the medbay. Once they've gone, Captain Brighton nods to Yuuki.

"I need to figure out where to place everyone. But I don't know what your living arrangements on the base were. The pilot's quarters are near the MS deck, and while I'd like for you to be in them, I'm not sure they'll work for your father. I'm assuming you and he lived together on base, but is that correct?"

12. - Top - End - #222

"Yeah, I was living with him," Yuuki replies. "Since, y'know, I'm a minor."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

13. - Top - End - #223

NinjaGuy

Captain Brighton nods again, and makes her way over to her desk, practically flopping down into the chair behind it, closing her eyes for a moment, and pinches the bridge of her nose.

"Right. We'll put you and your father in one of the marine officer berths. It'll be small, but at least it will be somewhat private for the two of you. We might have to shift you around later, if we get some marines, but for now, that's the best I can do. It's unorthodox, but then, this whole day has been, and it doesn't sound like it's going to get better anytime soon, so we might as well make the most of it. Before I send you off to get your rest, does the rest of your team get along okay? If they were to bunk together, would they get on each other's nerves?" She sighs, opening her eyes, and gives Yuuki a very tired look. "Normally, I'd ask your father, but you're here and you probably know most of them just as well."

14. - Top - End - #224

"No, they all get along pretty well," Yuuki replies. "But a couple of the non-Axis military people on our staff were in relationships, so that might be an issue."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

15. - Top - End - #225

NinjaGuy

Captain Brighton wordlessly pushes a datapad and a stylus towards Yuuki, before nodding, rubbing her temples and closing her eyes again.

"Jot the names down on that, would you please? I'll talk to them and see how much of an issue things might be." She takes another tired breath. "It should go without saying, but please don't mention anything about everyone being conscripted to your team, or anyone else. I don't mind if you tell your father, but make it clear to him that it shouldn't be shared beyond him until I can make an announcement about it. It'll only be a few hours, anyways, but I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea. I didn't want the Gundams brought aboard just to shanghai any of you; I just wanted to keep them out of the enemy's paws. Once you've written the names down, you can go. Your new berth will be on deck 7, room 22. Get some rest, ok?"

16. - Top - End - #226

"Yeah, sure."

Yuuki scribbles a few names onto the datapad, and tosses down the stylus. "If that's it, I guess I'll see you at the announcement that we've been shanghaied."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

17. - Top - End - #227

NinjaGuy

"See you there. And...for the little it's probably worth to you, I'm sorry," Captain Brighton says, the tiredness in her eyes reflected in her voice. Much as she would like to get some rest, she still has work to do.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    DoctorFaust, if you want to pick up with Itachi and Yuuki in PM now, that's fine.

The Vengeance has survived its first contact with the enemy, but at great cost. Three of its Gundams have either been damaged or had their pilots incapacitated. Still, being alive and in a whole ship counts as a victory when the odds are so heavily against you. Still, without replacement pilots and munitions, the Vengeance is operating on borrowed time. Perhaps Cordellia will hold more resources for the ship to use in its fight against the Ragalians? Next Episode: New Friends, Old Enemies

Spoiler: Session End: Minor Milestone
    Show
    Athrusa and Yuuki gain the benefits of a minor milestone.

Episode Two: New Friends, Old Enemies

A week can be the longest period of someone's life, and yet all too short at the same time. For two pilots in the Cordellia system, it has been the longest week of their lives. Originally sent to the backwater system on the edge of AAF space to test two new mobile suits, the pair were caught off-guard, like everyone else, when a Ragalian fleet showed up in system. Cordellia's facilities included two small space stations in the system's asteroid belt for maneuverability testing and tactical training, and several large colonies orbiting a murky, nondescript swamp world that lacks intelligent life. A perfect place for Newtypes to train, and to develop powerful new technologies that take advantage of Newtype physical and psychic abilities. And when the enemy came, the test pilots and experimental mecha gave the enemy pure hell. Unfortunately, even they were not enough to stem the tide, however. Within a few days, most of the mobile suits, along with their Newtype pilots, had been destroyed. Curiously, the enemy did not linger in the system, simply destroying the defenders, and moving on, but their lack of interest isn't the two pilots' biggest concern right now. Unfortunately for them, the pair were out on test runs at one of the facilities in the asteroid fields when the enemy struck. The ships that brought the pilots, their suits, and development teams to the facility were quickly called away for system defense when the enemy showed up. For awhile, it was thought that the other pilots would be able to drive the enemy off, but unfortunately, that outcome didn't happen. Now the pair are stranded with their teams, hoping they have enough supplies to last until the next AAF supply convoy comes through the system, and hoping even more fervently that the enemy doesn't return in the meantime. The cramped station was only meant to be occupied for a day or two at a time. The pilots and their suits' support staff may have to get creative to hold out another two weeks, and that's if the enemy doesn't return....

On board the Vengeance, things have been moving quickly. Captain Brighton's announcement was met mostly with grim determination and annoyed acceptance, with only a few protesting loudly, before being quelled by the revelation that their governments were the ones responsible for their conscription. Still, the forces on board the Vengeance are a unique bunch, ones that won't conform to all the military rules. They've managed to turn grief into productivity.

A day after their exit from the Stechkin system, sad news for two of the mobile suit teams was delivered. Tana, the pilot of the CGUE, died from the complications of her injury during the first attack on the ship. Not a mere bump on the head, but a far worse injury than was first suspected. And Xaia, the AI pilot of the Gai Sura, was wiped out when the suit took damage from the armor piercing round that hit it on the catapult. Although the team could reconstitute her, it will take them months of work to restore her, and the Gai Sura itself is no longer a suitable host. Agrias and Lucia remain in critical condition in the medbay; it's unknown when Lucia might wake up, and Agrias's injury was more serious than first thought, and requires constant monitoring for infection. The Freedom has been put into storage; despite the crew's best efforts, none of the ship's potential pilot prospects seem to be able to grasp its control scheme. The Sazabi remains a dangerous artifact. It behaves itself only for Captain Brighton, and continues to refuse entry to anyone other than her. It's unknown what might happen should Lucia die, but the betting pool on the MS deck is split 50/50 whether the suit's AI will go mad and try to destroy the ship, or whether it will choose Captain Brighton as its new pilot permanently.

Because their pilots are now gone, the Gai Sura and the CGUE have been designated as spare parts suits, since Tana was the only Coordinator aboard. The crew has begun patching and fixing the Nephilim with these spare parts where ever they can, along with integrating the weaponry Athrusa appropriated into the suit's arsenal.

Captain Brighton has been keeping Yuuki busy, giving her two tasks: the first, to undergo mobile suit combat simulations, with the Captain herself providing instruction. The second: to try and teach some of the crew's pilot prospects how to pilot a mobile suit in space. This has been a frustrating process, as many of these students don't really possess the spatial awareness to be able to handle a mobile suit in space, much less combat. Still, it at least keeps her busy.

Athrusa has been allowed to rest as much as possible, and while her pain isn't gone completely, it does seem to be growing more manageable. Celeste checks on her frequently, and she and Dr. Tram both seem pleased with her progress. She might not be running anywhere without meds, but there is progress.

Overall, the ship's crew is beginning to bond together, despite the forced circumstances. The hope that they'll find more people, more pilots, and more resources in Cordellia has been keeping everyone going, and anticipation when they reach the end of the journey is high. For now, though, everyone is concentrating on doing their jobs, whatever those might be....

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

It's strange to think, despite her status as a test pilot, that Athrusa was perhaps one of the more senior pilots left onboard the Vengeance. Strange, and a little bit chilling as well -- but as far as that went, Athrusa was as keen as ever, when she was awake and medicated enough, to help the crew train. It was a way to try to offer her help while also trying to bond with the people who did accept her.

She spent more time with Nurse Celeste as well. They talked a lot about their times on Qualia; Athrusa was very honest about the fact that she was a lab rat, never allowed to see anyone, and even her contract to Stetchkin 4 was all signed up without her consent or knowledge. To be quite truthful, she never wanted to see the artificial asteroid ever again.

The Nephilim, in many ways, was like her; battered, injured, but not out. The Gai Sura and CGUE's parts allowed for the Nephilim's mobile suit team to go through the undoubtedly growing pains of transitioning some of the suit's extremely ancient parts and wholesale replacing them with parts that they could repair and find replacements for. The Ragalian beam sabre and beam rifle were both welcome additions that added a whole lot of needed simplicity and versatility to the suit's incredibly lopsided arsenal.

Something was weighing on the Artificial Ragalian's mind, though. Yuuki's words to her on that day... she tells Nurse Celeste she's okay, that Yuuki's going through a lot herself, but... it's obviously getting her down as she sits on her bed with a laptop, busy providing feedback on a direct line to the engineering team's latest efforts. Ever the busybody, this one.

19. - Top - End - #229

NinjaGuy

The pilot trainees seem eager for the instruction, though none of them seem to be particularly good at actually piloting a suit in anything approaching zero gravity. Not for lack of trying, though, and none seem to have a problem with her status as an Artificial Ragalian, but then, many of them are Vengeance crew members, RA soldiers used to working with aliens, and the few that aren't don't seem to care.

Athrusa learns that Celeste is actually a failed experiment. She's a highly enhanced Newtype, genetically born one, then pushed to her limit by the Qualians. Unfortunately, her abilities make her a very poor warrior: the enhancements amplified her empathic abilities to unheard of levels, and as a result, she can use them to sense and mute pain, even in specific areas in the body. Unfortunately, that means that she can't be directly in combat; causing wounds of that magnitude would overwhelm her, mentally. The enhancements also muted her naturally enhanced spatial awareness, which makes her less than ideal for mobile suit warfare. She decided to put the gifts she had to good use and became a nurse, and enlisted when the Ragalians reappeared, her natural desire to help overcoming her fear of being in combat. As long as she stays on the ship, she's far enough away that the battle doesn't affect her too badly.

She pauses as she passes Athrusa's room, and watches the younger woman for a moment. Celeste knows that what Yuuki said cut Athrusa to her core, but there's little she can do about it, other than continue to stand by her "lab sister" and support her in whatever way she can.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

If there's something Athrusa is kind of decent at doing, it definitely is hiding how she really feels with a mask of cheerfulness, not wanting to depress others. She's deeply respectful of Celeste's story and her boundaries as well, of course. In a way, she was kind of the opposite -- she was just a normal girl who got turned into a supersoldier, and while her spatial awareness was excellent, she's always wondered what it was like to have empathic powers...

"--oh, hold on, Celeste's here," as she tugs the portable screen and goes, "Say hi, everyone!"

They likely know each other anyway, but it's fun to spread the cheer around. "Do you know when we're going to touch down in Cordellia? I got the name off a passing tech, but not really about where we're going there..."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

DwarfClericGuy

Gabriel Goldstein keeps nervously pacing in the hangar bay. Reflexively, he kept reaching for a small silver case in the interior pocket of his N.E.W.T. blazer, and opening it, only to realize, once more, that it's already been more than 24 standardized hours since he smoke his last cigar.

"RaaaARGH"!

The silver case flies across the room and clang against the titanium wall of the hangar. By now, the support crew is sort of used to Gabriel short(ish) temper, so they barely notices. He picks back his silver case (after all, it was one of the rare few gifts his father gave him) and pushes himself back toward the communication room/consoles. He removes his aviator sunglasses before asking once more:

"Could you re-run a full scan of the area?"
    Observing the uneasy technician unconsciously distancing himself and raising and eyebrow, his glance betraying a bit of apprehension at the idea a full scan might garner unwanted attention, Gabriel goes on, trying to explain himself:
    "Look, it should be obvious now that the enemy attacked while I was sent away. It is clear we're too valuable an asset to simply be sitting around like we do! If anything, our rescuers don't even have the NavChart for this area."
    Last edited by Gorum; 2018-04-16 at 11:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

NinjaGuy

The Anaheim tech sighs uneasily, but nods. The station doesn't have much in the way of comms equipment, mostly short range, but the scan for the area is excellent, owing to the need to analyze a suit's movements. His fingers fly over the keyboard, and hidden machinery elsewhere in the station whirs to life. He rocks back in his chair as the data comes up. The data is the same as it has been the hour before, and the hour before that, and the day before that. Since the enemy left the system, there's been nothing moving, and no attempt to recover the stranded crews. Some of the Anaheim team have begun looking into possibly modifying Gabe's Gyro Gundam for an extended, long-range flight, but even their best calculations give the suit's life support as only lasting about a week before giving out. Not enough time to get anywhere useful, even given the suit's incredible speed.

"Nothin'. I'd say you owe me 20 creds, Gabe, but they ain't gonna do me any good right now. Can't you get some rest like everyone else?" There's no annoyance in that question, but genuine concern. The tech (Joe, by name) gives Gabe a friendly smile. "You ain't doin' anybody any good by being more nervous than a cat in a room fulla' rockin' chairs, and wearin' yourself out in the process."

Celeste waves to the engineering team with a smile, before answering Athrusa's question.

"As I understand it, the facilities in Cordellia are mostly in orbiting colonies or space stations. I don't have a lot of details yet, but we're supposed to be dropping out of FTL next shift. Try and get some rest; you'll probably be needed to pilot the Nephilim when we drop out of FTL."

One of the Ooontaa mechanics, shuffled on from the Freedom's tech team, pipes up on Athrusa's screen.

"Don't worry, Miss Athrusa. Your suit will be ready before you need it, we'll make sure of that. Me and th' boys have also had an idea about a modification to your normal suit to help the medical team keep better tabs on how you're doing, but it might not be ready yet. We'll let you know before it's time to get ready if you can use it or not."
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-04-17 at 08:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Athrusa nods very slowly as she responds, "Oh, that's good news... I hope there isn't too much of a shake or anything, but the inertial cancellers around the med ward seem really good." She nods at the mention of rest, and smiles at the Ooontaa as she says, "Thanks, Mac, you're a real lifesaver, going above and beyond for me..."

There's a pause as she says, "Oh, can you guys give me a moment, though? I need to talk to Nurse Celeste about something." She mutes the vidscreen, and looks up at the Qualian nurse.

"One of the doctors sat down with me to talk about... options, when we touch down in Cordellia. He said there weren't facilities here for complex surgeries, but he was talking about skin grafts and such..."

She lowers her head. "I haven't... seen my face," she admits, "Since I've generally been asleep when you replace them for me. ... so I'm scared. How horribly mangled I got... you know?" she kind of-- shakily laughs. "It's not like I'm vain or anything, just-- I think about that."

24. - Top - End - #234

NinjaGuy

Celeste nods and steps into the room, and seats herself on the edge of the bed, placing a gentle hand on Athrusa's shoulder.

"I won't lie, one side of your face was burned pretty badly...and there will be scarring. Your modifications are helping the healing process; but Doctor Tram is right, you will need some skin grafts. With time, and extended surgeries, you could have all of the scars removed, though whether we'll have access to those sorts of facilities in the near future is still an unknown. Once the skin grafts are done, the scarring should mostly resemble a long knife wound along your cheek; something that can be removed completely later at a more advanced medical facility." She gives Athrusa a wry smile. "Perhaps once you're healed up, you'll decide you like the 'tough gal' look and keep them. Some people do."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Lt. IVan Tessera
    The Station

In the hangar bay is a large mobile suit. It has long, curving feature, and is almost beautiful as a war machine can be. It sports a large number of thrusters, belying the primary focus of the frame: speed. On its back are a pair of massive wing binders, attached by utilitarian arms, holding additional thrusters and sub arms, as well as a compliment of funnels. Additionally, its backpack unit carries a large Sturm Booster unit, which consists of more rocket nozzles and fuel tanks, in the shape of a massive protruding spike.The machine glares down over the workers with its single, green eye from a head nestled in a streamlined arrangement of neck armor, almost invoking a person nestling themselves in a large scarf or fur coat. On the side of the head is a designation and model number.

"SA2 Heavy Armament Test Type AGX-44 Sasha Gundam"

The paint job is primarily red and pink, much to the pilot's chagrin.

IVan is a man of average height, with unremarkable features. His eyes are purple, and always carry a lifeless, uninterested expression. His hair is black. As per usual, he's wearing his piloting normal suit and his sidearm on a drop leg holster, ready for combat at less than a moment's notice. He has been in the cockpit for some time now, drumming his fingers on the console. When he hears more speaking from below, he gets up from his linear chair in the panoramic cockpit of his machine, leaning out of the cockpit door.

"I concur with the technician," he says dispassionately. "Given the situation, at least one of us should be well rested and ready to scramble in the event enemy combatants arrive. In that interest, seeing as my machine is currently operational, it would be best I took the first shift."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2018-04-17 at 09:39 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Edited to take Snowbluff's post into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    "Nothin'. I'd say you owe me 20 creds, Gabe, but they ain't gonna do me any good right now. Can't you get some rest like everyone else?" There's no annoyance in that question, but genuine concern. The tech (Joe, by name) gives Gabe a friendly smile. "You ain't doin' anybody any good by being more nervous than a cat in a room fulla' rockin' chairs, and wearin' yourself out in the process."
    "I concur with the technician," he says dispassionately. "Given the situation, at least one of us should be well rested and ready to scramble in the event enemy combatants arrive. In that interest, seeing as my machine is currently operational, it would be best I took the first shift."

Gabe sighs, his posture relaxed, seemingly defeated, and he lets out as he turns back toward what would be his quarters:
    "Yeah, I guess you guys are right."

But only a few steps away, he seems re-energized. He pivots on himself and spouts enthusiastically:
    "I've got an idea! You guys won't like it, but it may give us a better shot at getting out of here."

With a momentary glare of insanity in his eyes, he approaches the closest view pane which gives toward where the assault took place. He then points out toward the space graveyard as he continues:
    "Why not salvage the parts we need? Jack here, and I, climb aboard the Gyro, we take the stroll toward the graveyard, salvage a bit of stuff and build ourselves better communication systems. If we're lucky, it might be just a matter of giving some system out there a bit of juice! While we're there, we could salvage any intact life pods for extra food, water and fuel!"

Then, with a grim smile, he adds:
    "And if the enemy strikes this place while we're away, I get to confirm and brag about that both assaults were all an elaborate tactic from the Regalian bastards not willing to face me in battle!"
    Last edited by Gorum; 2018-04-17 at 11:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

NinjaGuy

Joe sighs again and shakes his head.

"You can't even reach the closest battle zone, Gabe. We ran the calculations again yesterday. A mobile suit just doesn't have the life support capacity. You'd run out of air before you made it there."

Another tech, an older man from IVan's team, chimes in.

"Not even if we stripped the support system from the Sasha and put it in the Gyro. Give it a rest, kid. All we can do right now is wait."

28. - Top - End - #238

One thing that Yuuki has learned about herself in the past several days is that, while she might be a good pilot, she's a piss poor teacher. After yet another session that sees her storming off in frustration, she barges into the Axis crew quarters and flings herself down into the nearest bed with a loud moan.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

DwarfClericGuy

Gabe's face betrays a mixture of bewilderment and offense at the idea of simply taking it easy. He's about to start the kind of sentence you have to point at your interlocutor as you spatter them, but he's taking them back as soon as he starts the gesture. This repeats twice before saying, in an half-defeated tone: "I can't. Dying of suffocation, dehydration or starvation might be alright for mere technicians, but as a warrior, I'd rather die trying something stupid."

Gabriel sighs, then, turning toward the Anaheim technician:
    "And what about using inertia to get us close enough that the battlefield comes within' our operation range? We get the Mobile Suits out, we push this station toward the target area. Since the void of space won't stop us, we can slowly build up speed. Certainly beats watching paint dry or rations dwindle."
    Last edited by Gorum; 2018-04-19 at 03:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

IVan Tessera
    The Station

"Sergent Laramie, the person who removes the SA2-HA's life support system will be the next one piloting it,"
    IVan says, effectively giving the death sentence to anyone who limits the viability of his hardware. It could be interpreted as a joke, but with IVan, it's hard to imagine he has a sense of humor.

"As for your plan, Goldstein, if you're concern is about rations, then it won't work. Considering how much more massive the station is compared to the mobile suits' outputs, it would take a while to break our orbit, and we would be moving at a much slower velocity than a mobile weapon."
    IVan hops down from Sasha's cockpit, slowly falling in the small g environment. "Honestly, this is making me consider a proposal for a new kind of mobile weapon. If an FTL drive can be miniaturized enough, than an Ares variant like the SA2 could use it in place of a Sturm Booster. It could make for an interest penetrating counter attack machine. Unfortunately, this station doesn't have an FTL drive in the first place, and neither the technicians nor I likely know enough about the technology to make it a useful escape technique."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2018-04-19 at 04:04 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.