New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2: Larian doesn't know what 'original' means

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    You can still do the quest if you meet him first with Sebille. Check the crate near Stingtail. Not sure if you have to bring the orange back to Griff.
    Griff just wants whats inside the orange. Stingtail explains if you confront him about it while alive, but the citrus shipments is how Griff smuggles his drugs in. Stingtail stole it because Drudinae helps him to lucidly dream, which is significant to a Lizard Dreamer.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah but the reason I said I wasn't sure if you needed to bring the orange back was because the first time I did it, I seem to recall leaving the orange with dead Stingtail and still completed the quest just by telling Griff who did it and how I knew (the crates). And that I had already killed them.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Hm.

I am rather underwhelmed at the moment. I just got my collar off, just to realize I need "source points" to use that skill.
    And apparently I can get that by a few methods. Among them absorbing souls from soul jars. I smashed all of them in the area before knowing that.

On the other hand... am I to undertand the are a non-replenishing resource? Do I really have to find another source of Source for every time I want to use that skill? It seems to me SOurce spells are pointless then; I have had no need for them yet, and that much hassle just to be able to use it once seems... beyond stupid.

Edit: also, I am annoyed about the lockpicks too. Making them a finite resource is annoying as heck. I guess I wasted a point in Scoundrel by putting it on the rogue. I should put all scoundrel points on the Wizard so he can use his infinite lockpicks.
    (People in forums says it's "easy" to craft lockpicks... except I have not found a single crafting material yet to make them Not a single nail so far in Fort Joy).
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-11-16 at 03:07 PM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Banned

There's like a thousand nails in fort joy. Check the work benches near the gates.

I always ended up just respeccing Fane to do it because I don't care for tediously sorting through menus.

You will eventually come across several ways to get source points in abundance. They're only hard to get at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    You can still do the quest if you meet him first with Sebille. Check the crate near Stingtail. Not sure if you have to bring the orange back to Griff.
    You can technically complete it that way, but it circumvents most of the plot for that quest.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-11-16 at 03:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Lockpicks really aren't that hard to find--they're cheap to buy and most general traders carry them, so having 20 or 30 of them on your person isn't unreasonable by the time you're wandering around Driftwood. As for Source, there is a really easy way to replenish Source points even on the island:

Spoiler
    Show

In the ancient ruin where you find Gareth, there's a large Source jar inside--you can click this to create a pool of Source on the floor, then run through it. There are similar jars to be found in the other areas, too, and you also gain the ability to drain corpses and living people for Source points while you're in Driftwood.

Not being easily able to use Source really isn't a problem in the early game anyway, because the Source abilities you have access to are mostly meh. Lohse's maddening song seems like it ought to be cool, until you find it's blocked by Magic Armour and is thus almost entirely useless for what you'd really want to use it for, e.g. getting the enemies to fight among themselves before you make your presence known. Fane's gives one person an extra turn, which can be useful sometimes--but you're sacrificing some of Fane's own action points to cast it, so the bonus it gives isn't as huge as you might think. I could go on, but you get the idea by now!

The main advantage to getting your collar off is that you can wear a necklace, which offers a good Magic Armour boost and can also give you some other nice bonuses.
    Last edited by factotum; 2017-11-16 at 06:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A couple other things. Your source point capacity does eventually grow (it caps out at 3 points), allowing you to use some extremely devastating spells in the end game. You also eventually gain an ability to drain source points from characters and corpses, which can be used in combat.

Of the native source abilities, the only ones I use with any regularity are the Red Prince's, Fane's and a custom character's Dome of Protection (which is amazing). The soul wolf is nice in the early game, but is based on summoning, and the Incarnate is better as a pet if you go that route (and doesn't cost source). Beast's ability is just a straight up nuke, which is tolerable but unexciting compared to most other source spells, and Sebille almost never gets crowd controlled in such a way that she can use her Break the Chains ability in the first place.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Lockpicks really aren't that hard to find--they're cheap to buy and most general traders carry them, so having 20 or 30 of them on your person isn't unreasonable by the time you're wandering around Driftwood.
    Well I'm still in Fort Joy (only played 13 hours) and right now they are EXPENSIVE. They're two thrds or a third of the cost of a skillbook, which is far more important to pay for.

Edit:
    Spoiler: I just realized you can jump out of conversations to your other characters
    Show

SO, let's see if I can kill Biff & Co with only three ppl so I can keep Butter alive.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-11-17 at 01:35 AM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Well I'm still in Fort Joy (only played 13 hours) and right now they are EXPENSIVE. They're two thrds or a third of the cost of a skillbook, which is far more important to pay for.

Edit:
    Spoiler: I just realized you can jump out of conversations to your other characters
    Show

SO, let's see if I can kill Biff & Co with only three ppl so I can keep Butter alive.
    She'll still aggro when the conversation ends that way. There is a conversation line you can have to get her on your side for the fight. It's fairly self evident.

9. - Top - End - #279

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Sebille almost never gets crowd controlled in such a way that she can use her Break the Chains ability in the first place.
    I can recall at least three times where Sebille got a Chains of Agony cast on her and I used Break the Chains to get rid of it. Since I didn't have much other use for her Source (the Rogue source abilities are garbage, frankly--an ability which does double damage *if you use it from stealth* costs three Source points? Really?) I didn't have a problem doing that. Dome of Protection is pretty darned good, yes, kind of wonder why one of the pre-written characters didn't get it!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    She'll still aggro when the conversation ends that way. There is a conversation line you can have to get her on your side for the fight. It's fairly self evident.
    Well I promised her a date after the escape which evidently isn't the correct one. I didn't see an option to say "don't join the fight" so it's not self evident to me.

Regarding Source: might depend on difficulty. I'm playing Classic (and see no point in playing at a higher difficulty, that's not why I play RPGs). A lot of people on other forums have said that on Classic they only use Source for the final fight and for Bless (and most were royally pissed off that source cost was added to Bless after patch).
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-11-17 at 06:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281

BlackDragon

I wouldn't go as far as that. Some of the two- and three-point Source abilities are really good (the Thunderstorm skill Lohse can learn might as well be called "Destroy every enemy inside this area"--it does ridiculous damage and lasts for five turns, there's not much that will survive it). The main problem is having to get your Source back after using the abilities, so a lot of the time you won't bother casting them unless it's looking like you might lose the fight!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

There's a few ridiculous source abilities. One of the bow ones can basically 1-shot anything in the game for example.

Well I promised her a date after the escape which evidently isn't the correct one. I didn't see an option to say "don't join the fight" so it's not self evident to me.
    That should have been the one. If you've set up a date she'll join the fight on your side. Unless you attack her.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-11-17 at 08:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Barbarian in the Playground

In my playthrough, the only Source skills I used with regularity (except for Bless) where Chain Lightning and a similar Fire magic. The Warfare skills aren't bad either, but the Rogue ones were pretty worthless for me too.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Banned

Skin graft is insane. Reset all cooldowns and remove several debuffs. Combine it with Fane's skill to break the game. Arrow storm is easily the best skill in the game, and apothesis will let you spam the other skills.

I agree that the rogue ones are mostly sub-par. It's a bit of a trend in divinity games that rogues get the shaft.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

The pyro, aero and hydro 3 source point skills are all ridiculously strong along with the Marksman one. Blood storm is pretty solid too. The rogue 2 point one is the best, but still pretty weak due to its high AP cost. Warrior one that destroys armor and knocks down is nice. Geo hits all the enemies but doesn't stack like the other elemental ones so I like those better. And Apotheosis is absolutely broken on a caster with more than one of the storm abilities. Apotheosis, adrenaline and then two of the big abilities is downright broken.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we'll see.
    Funny how everyone screams "You have no collar!" when I see them but only the Magisters actually react.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

I think I did things in a backwards order again. The Arena fight? I was barely scratched.
    As far as I can tell now, all I need to do is to kill BIff and co (Because they deserve it) and then let Magistrates spot me without the collar so they get themselves killed fighting me. For RPG reasons I don't think my character would actively hunt them down, but if I happen to walk by... and they attack...

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

...Cursing, muttering.... Almost posting an irritated thing on this forum...

...Then realizing that "DUH! In order for Butters not going hostile I have to initiate the confrontation with Griff as the character that was flirting with her! DUH! Again!"
    Anyway, Griff and his friends are dead. Now off "accidentally provoke" every guard I see. Loot and XP, here I come.

19. - Top - End - #289

BlackDragon

Well, we'll see.
    Funny how everyone screams "You have no collar!" when I see them but only the Magisters actually react.
    Why should the other prisoners care overmuch if you have no collar? They'll probably exclaim in surprise on seeing it, but they're not going to attack you or report you to the Magisters because of it. (Note: it's actually possible to get the collars off *all* your characters before leaving the island--there's someone in the swamps who can remove them, although she'd only do it for me when I had Beast in my party, not sure how else you can get her to do it).

I think I did things in a backwards order again. The Arena fight? I was barely scratched.
    You're supposed to do the Arena around level 3 or 4 before leaving Fort Joy, so probably you've left it a bit late, yes. On my first playthrough I was so ridiculously over-levelled for the Driftwood arena that I defeated my opponent too fast for a certain scripted event to occur--I was rather surprised when the event happened on my second playthrough!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

You're supposed to do the Arena around level 3 or 4 before leaving Fort Joy, so probably you've left it a bit late, yes. On my first playthrough I was so ridiculously over-levelled for the Driftwood arena that I defeated my opponent too fast for a certain scripted event to occur--I was rather surprised when the event happened on my second playthrough!
    I did it at level 4, admittedly on Classic difficulty. I also immediately claimed all the high ground I could get to, which helped.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Why should the other prisoners care overmuch if you have no collar? They'll probably exclaim in surprise on seeing it, but they're not going to attack you or report you to the Magisters because of it. (Note: it's actually possible to get the collars off *all* your characters before leaving the island--there's someone in the swamps who can remove them, although she'd only do it for me when I had Beast in my party, not sure how else you can get her to do it).
    Talking to her once you've rescued Sir Gareth is enough.

22. - Top - End - #292

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Talking to her once you've rescued Sir Gareth is enough.
    That didn't seem to work on my first playthrough? I naturally spoke to her again after rescuing Gareth, but no option to remove the collars came up.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Banned

That didn't seem to work on my first playthrough? I naturally spoke to her again after rescuing Gareth, but no option to remove the collars came up.
    It worked for me just fine. I think you might have to talk to the male dwarf with her instead of talking to her directly.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

It worked for me just fine. I think you might have to talk to the male dwarf with her instead of talking to her directly.
    Hm. That means I can't get everyone out of their collars at that time, since Beast is a male dwarf and therefore unable to be in my party.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Banned

Hm. That means I can't get everyone out of their collars at that time, since Beast is a male dwarf and therefore unable to be in my party.
    No, I meant that there is a male dwarf standing near her that you need to talk to after you save Gareth. You can use any of your characters.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

No, I meant that there is a male dwarf standing near her that you need to talk to after you save Gareth. You can use any of your characters.
    Ah. ok. Thank you.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Aww crap. Apparently the cat got killed at some point and I didn't notice. No idea when, though so... I guess we do this without it.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Banned

Aww crap. Apparently the cat got killed at some point and I didn't notice. No idea when, though so... I guess we do this without it.
    It's largely useless anyway. I guess it's ok for extra mobility, but I prefer almost every other mobility spell to it.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

I believe the only guard that kills it is one of the ones by the gate.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    I believe the only guard that kills it is one of the ones by the gate.
    That was my experience too, but it's also incredibly stupid and will walk right through fire and poison. It'll die eventually unless you keep an eye on it and heal it.