New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Short and Sweet world building two; sadly mythstaken

Hey forumites, let's build another world!
    I want to start with four basic premises about the world we'll build;
    A) The world is not a regular spheroid. It can be a disk, a cube, an infinite plane, a mobius loop, the back of a turtle, or whatever, but not just a regular, round planet.
    B) The four traditional elementals (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine) exist in this setting.
    C) At least one other species that is rational/self aware/capable of using language exists in the setting.
    D) The gods of the real-world Egyptian, Norse, Greek, and Celtic pantheons exist in this setting.
    Also, we will be using Eldan's fun Short and Sweet World Building Rules, which are as follows;
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    People post only short facts about the world. Every post should contain three facts, each preferably short, one or two sentences.

1. One global fact about the world. Something that has a planet-wide effect.
    E.g. In this world, the night is much longer than the day, year round.
    E.g. In this world, fire-magic attracts demons.
    E.g. In this world, the sky is green, not blue.
    E.g. Goblins don't exist in this world.

2. One fact that establishes or expands upon a group, organisation, location, nation or similar.
    E.g. The city of Theridia, famous for its art academy and musicians, lies on the Red Gulf.
    E.g. A group of elven criminals caling themselves Kelviri controls much of the drug trade in the eastern nations.
    E.g. Most of the northern nations worship Shir, god of fire, warmth and family.

3. One fact about how one group thinks of another. This may be entirely conjecture or rumour.
    E.g. The southlanders tell tales of how the Shir-worshippers burn babies on the summer solstice.
    E.g. The citizens of Theridia have a burning hatred for the Knights of the Order of the Eagle, offering a reward for each helmet showing the eagle crest brought to their council.
    E.g. Duke Melchet of Sar refuses to fight the Kelviri in his lands, rumours say their leader saved the life of his sick wife years ago.

Obviously, those are just some quick and rather generic examples. Don't follow those.

Normal rules apply: you may expand on other people's writing,but don't outright contradict it.
    Now go build a setting!
    Last edited by Bob_McSurly; 2017-08-03 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Fix prefix
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Short and Sweet world building two; sadly mythstaken

1. Nagas* are rare, but generally rich and influential in the nations where they dwell.
    2. The Western city of Ardo is mostly below sea level, but, with Undine's blessing, they keep themselves dry via water pumps and a somewhat overbuilt barrier wall.
    3. Most Naga eagerly step in to manage the business and dealings of other folk. This is more about building prestige than material gains.

*I mean the "mermaid except it's a snake" types. Yuan-Ti if you care for traditional racial names.

3. - Top - End - #3

1. The world is shaped as a 3 side pyramid (a d4) with one side permanently "below".
    2. There are 3 "suns" rotating the world horizontally. One orange, one white, and one blue. (Meaning the side below is always in darkness)
    3. The inhabitants of the world can move between "sides" of it.
    Spoiler: Pic
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

1. The world's third tallest mountain is close to the middle of the dark side of the world. In the mountain is a cave with a portal to the Underdark.
    2. The orange sun is associated with the god Ra, the white sun with the god Helios, and the blue sun with the goddess Sunna.
    3. The residents of Ardo do not usually do business with the Nagas, because the Nagas worship the Olympians, whereas Ardo worships the Tuathe de Dannan.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

(I) The Styx is but one of dozens of tributaries that flows from a bottomless spring in Helheim.
    (II) There is no "beneath" the Underdark: its floor is an uneven series of 2D triangles and hexagons.
    (III) Hera's cult of viziers and concubines is young and fragile, dependent upon ancient blood-debts from Ymir and Set to withstand open challenge.
    Last edited by VoodooPaladin; 2017-08-06 at 12:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

When you say 'Helhalla' are you implying that Helheim is synonymous with Valhalla in this world, or is Helhalla just another word for Helheim?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_McSurly View Post
    When you say 'Helhalla' are you implying that Helheim is synonymous with Valhalla in this world, or is Helhalla just another word for Helheim?
    I had honestly forgotten that it was called Helheim. If you like I can edit the post, or we can all just ignore it. There are other angles to take, though! Helheim & Valhalla being connected could either imply that Death is a unified concept in this world, or that pantheons are stuck to each other in at least a physical sense. Helhalla could also be a separate thing from Helheim, as in 'the Halls of Hel', which would have interesting implications as well.

What are your thoughts on the matter? I can work with any of it.
    Last edited by VoodooPaladin; 2017-08-05 at 06:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I totally dig this concept, especially the idea of a non spherical world, a dimensional cube, non corporal plane etc. Fun stuff

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorku View Post
    1. Nagas* are rare, but generally rich and influential in the nations where they dwell.
    2. The Western city of Ardo is mostly below sea level, but, with Undine's blessing, they keep themselves dry via water pumps and a somewhat overbuilt barrier wall.
    3. Most Naga eagerly step in to manage the business and dealings of other folk. This is more about building prestige than material gains.

*I mean the "mermaid except it's a snake" types. Yuan-Ti if you care for traditional racial names.
    Yuan-Ti/Serpentine races are some of my favorite types of races

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooPaladin View Post
    I had honestly forgotten that it was called Helheim. If you like I can edit the post, or we can all just ignore it. There are other angles to take, though! Helheim & Valhalla being connected could either imply that Death is a unified concept in this world, or that pantheons are stuck to each other in at least a physical sense. Helhalla could also be a separate thing from Helheim, as in 'the Halls of Hel', which would have interesting implications as well.

What are your thoughts on the matter? I can work with any of it.
    How about Helhalla is the palace located in Helheim were Hel actually lives. You can pick something different if you want.
    Last edited by Bob_McSurly; 2017-08-05 at 10:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

1. The world, and the suns, are suspended in the middle of a sphere, which is the sky.
    2. When you are on the edge of one of the four faces of the world, it looks like you are looking down a bottomless cliff. If you jump off, you'll fall for a second, then find yourself on the face you were just looking down at.
    3. Ardo (which is on the mainland), controls several island colonies that are located between it and the western edge of its side of the world.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

1. Lestaltes is a territory consisting of mostly desert, with a mountain-range to the east of it and an ocean to the southwest. Even though it is rich in culture, it is also rich in conflict, as many of the kingdoms surrounding it are under constant threat from bandit raids from its denizens.

2. Bearing many names, the Mau* are a people whose lower halves are those of felines (think satyr, with lion instead of goat). Their "empire" is primarily solitary, primarily staying within their small territory of Lestaltes.

3. Mau are separated into clans, with the greatest of them being clan Sphinx who conquered most of the clans under their rule (the rest begrudgingly obey since they have the largest army, but have some degrees of freedom). Clan Andros has risen to power as well, accepting five naga families into their ruling council, a choice that brought them economic stability and a golden age of the arts, but also made plenty of enemies, including those in clan Sphinx.

*Most people call them 'Rauders, since most experience that commonfolk have of them are either marauders attacking defenseless villages or mercenaries ripping through the ranks of armies. The Mau have, in kind, made dozens of nicknames for the "flat-ears", most of them derogatory.
    "My new favorite spell is Ice Knife, because it is a throwing knife made from ice, and a grenade."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

1. The Lestaltes is located on the face of the world to the east of the face which contains Ardo. Unlike the other three faces of the earth, this face has more land area than water
    2. To the north of Mau empire is the home-land of the Sons of Sobek (people with crocodile heads). According to legend, Sobek had an affair with a mortal woman, and the resulting child, who had a crocodile head like his father, immediately devoured the woman after he was born. The rest of the Sons of Sobek are descended from him, and are generally violent, unsavory people. They are sometimes found in small hunting bands in areas far removed from their home-land.
    3. The Sons of Sobek hate the Mau, and consider killing a Mau chief to be the ultimate achievement.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

(I) All birds are sapient.
    (II) The Mau classify magic into four colors: red, yellow, black, and white.
    (III) Undine are feared in lands along the river Gjoll; legend claims they are natural masters of any weapon bathed in its waters.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

1. Dragons are rare and powerful, bearing almost godlike power. Thus each face of the world has its own court of dragon lords (each with their own characteristics) dwelling in its remote corners. Drakes and other common draconic beings, however, have the sentience of a parrot at best.

2. Trogs live on the desert face. They are a race of pale-fleshed blind lizardfolk who are terrified of sunlight. They leave their caverns only at night, mainly to hunt.

3. The trogs and the nagas share a common ancestor. However, the two loathe each other for reasons none stand to remember.
    May the gods watch over your battles, friend.

16. - Top - End - #16

1. Every humanoid is part-animal. "Humans" only exist as deities.
    2. Although sapient, birds are not very bright. They serve those that protect nature.
    3. Sailing from one side of the world to the other has not yet been acomplised, as the "edge jump" destroys every ship.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by AsDeR View Post
    1. Every humanoid is part-animal. "Humans" only exist as deities.
    The existence of Gnomes, Undines, and Sylphs was established in the OP, so I'm going to take this as 'no pure humanoids other than those three'.
    Last edited by Bob_McSurly; 2017-08-06 at 08:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

The existence of Gnomes, Undines, and Sylphs was established in the OP, so I'm going to take this as 'no pure humanoids other than those three'.
    Technically they don't have to be traditional versions. Maybe they can have animalistic traits related to their element.

- Salamanders as snake-like
    - Gnomes as toad-like
    - Sylphs as bug-like
    - Undines as fish-like

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderfist12 View Post
    Technically they don't have to be traditional versions. Maybe they can have animalistic traits related to their element.

- Salamanders as snake-like
    - Gnomes as toad-like
    - Sylphs as bug-like
    - Undines as fish-like
    Are those actual statements, or just examples? Because salamanders could just be sapient, fire wielding versions of real world salamanders. And maybe gnomes could just have donkey ears and a donkey tail?

20. - Top - End - #20

I was aiming at "there are no humans, elves, or other totallly human looking creatures." Undines are half fish and sylph are half butterfly anyway.
    So, a minotaur? it exists. A human, only as a god.

Maye change it to "pure humans?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by AsDeR View Post
    I was aiming at "there are no humans, elves, or other totallly human looking creatures." Undines are half fish and sylph are half butterfly anyway.
    So, a minotaur? it exists. A human, only as a god.

Maye change it to "pure humans?"
    I understand that, I'm just wondering about gnomes.
    Edit to add: And if gnomes are part animal, I'm hoping it will be something minor like webbed feet and a long tongue (assuming they are part toad like thunderfist said).
    Last edited by Bob_McSurly; 2017-08-07 at 10:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Are those actual statements, or just examples? Because salamanders could just be sapient, fire wielding versions of real world salamanders. And maybe gnomes could just have donkey ears and a donkey tail?
    They're examples.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

1. Each face of the world has a portal to one of the elemental planes, and the world was created from a mix of the elements that came out of each portal.
    2. The largest kingdom of gnomes has a list of kings going all the way back to the god Horus.
    3. Ardo is mainly populated by centaurs.

24. - Top - End - #24

1. The aforementioned portals are located on the faces of the World Core, which appear like triangular doorways into another world from in the Underdark.
    2. Syrinx (owl folk) live in the highest reaches if Ardo in one ancient kingdom.
    3. Centaurs often revere Poseidon (mainly the part of his portfolio that is storms, soil, horses, and earthquakes)
    Last edited by Thunderfist12; 2017-08-10 at 05:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

1. The face of the world with Ardo is mostly water, but has two main continents, one close to the western edge, and one close to the eastern edge.
    2. Between the two main continents are three large islands, one of which is the home of the Tuathe De Dannan, one of the Milesians and one of the Fomorians.
    3. All three of these originally separate divine races are now considered a single pantheon, and dwell in the Fey realm.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

1) While there are regular mermaids in this world, 'undine' refers to the two tailed kind(i.e Starbucks)
    2) North of Ardo, their is a kingdom called Satheon. It is populated by cervitaurs, is ruled by kings from a sorcerer bloodline, and worships the Tuathe De Dannan.
    3) Satheon has an ancient agreement with Ardo that states that if Ardo is attacked from the land, Satheon's sorcerers will come to its defense, and Ardo's navy will defend Satheon if it is invaded by sea.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

1) Mt. Olympus is on the face of the world between the land face and the face with Ardo.
    2) Centaurs consider it unlucky to fight under the white sun.
    3) The Sons of Sobek are not welcome in Gnommish lands, and the two groups fight very often.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Bumping, in case anyone new is interested in participating in this.

1) Elementals (gnomes, undines, sylphs, salamanders) merge with their planes upon death, and cannot be resurrected.
    2) See below*
    3) The most popular god among the gnomes is Ptah.

* I drew a simple map for one of the faces of the world, but I don't have enough posts to post attachments (unless there's some other reason I'm not allowed to post attachments)Does "attachments" include links? I have a link to the google doc with the map, which I will post if it is okay to, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to or not.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

1. There was once a fourth star on the darkside, but it was destroyed.
    2. Lightfinders are people living near the edge of the darkside, who travel into it to collect bioluminescent organisms for lighting.
    3. The priests of Tawaret and Poseidon have accumulated thousands of years of petty feuds, and thus a deep mutual hatred.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

1) The world (including the suns) is magically suspended in the middle of a sphere (the sky). The Inside of this sphere is an inhabitable plane (which is mostly covered in water, hence the sky being blue).
    2) Outside the sphere live Apophis, Crom Cruach, Typhon, and Surtur. Legend holds that Apophis once broke through the sphere of the sky, and ate the fourth sun.
    3) Those in non-draconic communities who worship the Dragon Lords face light institutional persecution.