New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    The short version of the Drake story is that he was able to get in with some talented connected people who helped him produce three mixtapes that got his name out there enough that he got Lil Wayne's attention, and signed to the Young Money label, which gave him a lot of opportunities to connect with bigger and even more talented people. Drake and Nicki Minaj are undoubtedly the two most talented artists that signed to Young Money, so they got the best backing, and were both able to reach an audience that they connected to. That's what a lot of pop success hinges on - finding the audience.
    Speaking of people whose appeal I can't fathom...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

The short version of the Drake story is that he was able to get in with some talented connected people who helped him produce three mixtapes that got his name out there enough that he got Lil Wayne's attention, and signed to the Young Money label, which gave him a lot of opportunities to connect with bigger and even more talented people. Drake and Nicki Minaj are undoubtedly the two most talented artists that signed to Young Money, so they got the best backing, and were both able to reach an audience that they connected to. That's what a lot of pop success hinges on - finding the audience.
    That's how he made it big, yeah. As to what his appeal is, well he isn't my style of music either, but from what I can tell it's that he makes music with a hip hop style, but which is generally a lot softer/calmer/chiller/more approachable than a lot of hip hop tends to be. (A lot of it is very in-your-face and confrontational, trying to make a point and get a message across (and that has its place for sure), whereas he seems to tend to be more about love and hope.)

It's a niche that needed filling. Not what people always think of when they talk about "Rap", but not quite "Pop" either.

There's also the fact that he genuinely seems to be a stand-up guy. Which is rare in a celebrity, and especially rare in recent pop stars (even other of us Canadians, see Bieber).

EDIT - for a similar sort of appeal, I guess see Mackelmore?
    Last edited by ve4grm; 2018-04-16 at 02:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    That's how he made it big, yeah. As to what his appeal is, well he isn't my style of music either, but from what I can tell it's that he makes music with a hip hop style, but which is generally a lot softer/calmer/chiller/more approachable than a lot of hip hop tends to be. (A lot of it is very in-your-face and confrontational, trying to make a point and get a message across (and that has its place for sure), whereas he seems to tend to be more about love and hope.)
    Yes, that exactly. The message is calmer, the voice is softer, and the language is stuff you can play in front of your parents. It's not the best music, not even close, but it's fairly nice.
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fun fact: I couldn't say the title of a single Drake or Nicki Minay song, nor recognize them when singing. I know that they exist, but that's because their name occasionally pops up on the Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Fun fact: I couldn't say the title of a single Drake or Nicki Minay song, nor recognize them when singing. I know that they exist, but that's because their name occasionally pops up on the Internet.

Well that's true of me as well, but that's also true of the overwhelming majority of songs on the radio released after the 20th century
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #456

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    For an example of a good Drake song, listen to Take Care or Passionfruit.

For an example of a good Nicki Minaj song, drastically change your personal perception of what good music is because you are going to hate all of them.

Maybe Moment 4 Life.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that's true of me as well, but that's also true of the overwhelming majority of songs on the radio released after the 20th century
    True. "Pop" has reached the point of being "vanilla", wanting to not show any edges and not offend any tastes, which at the same time makes it good and also bland.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    True. "Pop" has reached the point of being "vanilla", wanting to not show any edges and not offend any tastes, which at the same time makes it good and also bland.
    Yes, I remember the golden days of pop music being cutting edge and not being bland at all. Sugar Sugar was a risk taker, i tells ya. I Wanna Hold Your Hand just didn't care who it offended! Hold on to your knickers, ladies, Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head is about to blow them away!

Oh, wait...
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #459

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    Yes, that exactly. The message is calmer, the voice is softer, and the language is stuff you can play in front of your parents. It's not the best music, not even close, but it's fairly nice.
    Oh, good. I'm glad my outside-view opinion wasn't off base.

For an example of a good Drake song, listen to Take Care or Passionfruit.

For an example of a good Nicki Minaj song, drastically change your personal perception of what good music is because you are going to hate all of them.

Maybe Moment 4 Life.
    Starships is pretty catchy. She's also not really my style, though.

80s pop was bland and edgeless. 90s pop was bland and edgeless. 2000s pop... actually had a bit of edge to it.

But yeah, this isn't a generational thing.

10. - Top - End - #460

Imp

Oh, I forgot about Starships. That one's pretty good.

And yeah, if anything, pop music is edgier now than most points in the last century.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Then don't look close.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Pixie in the Playground

My boss. Why does he have to be such a control freak?
    Neither can I understand those spitting in the street. My father does though. And he is a well-respected engineer with two higher education degrees, and a great guy. Why?

As for "People who work in the career advice field", this is something comparable to teachers. You know, those who can't...

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Contable View Post
    Neither can I understand those spitting in the street. My father does though. And he is a well-respected engineer with two higher education degrees, and a great guy. Why?

As for "People who work in the career advice field", this is something comparable to teachers. You know, those who can't...
    Personally I usually spit in the street because I have a mouthful of phlegm and its really gross having it in there. The alternative is to just let it sit there (ha ha no), or to swallow it, which isn't much better.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

You mean some pop-singer.
    I only know of Drake because of internet memes. No idea what his music sounds like whatsoever.

Basically, one of two things: He's a donkey cavity and wants to feel important, or he's been burnt by careless or dumb employees doing the wrong thing. There's probably a few more answers, but I feel like those two extremes will cover most situations.

Personally, I think spitting in the street is kinda gross, but it's probably a cultural thing. Curious where Keltest is from. I see it here, but honestly, mostly from teenagers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

80s pop was bland and edgeless. 90s pop was bland and edgeless. 2000s pop... actually had a bit of edge to it.

But yeah, this isn't a generational thing.
    Puh, am I glad that there's actual intelligent life outside the english speaking countries that that there's "pop" beyond that.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Puh, am I glad that there's actual intelligent life outside the english speaking countries that that there's "pop" beyond that.

Spoiler: I'm remindde of the last time I heard a non-anglophone song on pop radio
    Show

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #466

Sandu Ciorba is the greatest pop singer alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: I'm remindde of the last time I heard a non-anglophone song on pop radio
    Show

You didn't get to hear Gangam Style 99 billion times when you stepped out of your house? Are you sure you live near me?
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

18. - Top - End - #468

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    You didn't get to hear Gangam Style 99 billion times when you stepped out of your house? Are you sure you live near me?
    I was in Korea at the height of that song's popularity. 99 billion may be underestimating it.

19. - Top - End - #469

Imp

More recently, Despacito was a radio hit in America despite being (mostly) in Spanish.
    Show
    Then don't look close.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

I just listened to (some) of "Gangam Style", and it just sounds like a bunch of the headache inducing stuff that was played over the speakers at "Forever 21" when my wife shopped there.

I wouldn't be able to pick it out of a lineup.

21. - Top - End - #471

DwarfFighterGuy

More recently, Despacito was a radio hit in America despite being (mostly) in Spanish.
    Canada, too, despite Spanish being even less common here.

Probably Bieber's fault.

22. - Top - End - #472

Why are cheese curds the tastiest with the least appetizing name? This comes up every time I have poutine.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-04-19 at 08:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473

Canada, too, despite Spanish being even less common here.

Probably Bieber's fault.
    Yes, blame Beaver Boy for everything. I don't know why we haven't locked him up in the ice dungeons yet.
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Neither can I understand those spitting in the street.
    I rarely do it to look cool in front of the cool kidz... yea
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

25. - Top - End - #475
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why do some people refuse to chew gum with their mouths closed? Why oh why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Why do some people refuse to chew gum with their mouths closed? Why oh why?
    Why do people eat with their mouth open, full stop? Makes an absolutely horrible noise if nothing else.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Why are cheese curds the tastiest with the least appetizing name? This comes up every time I have poutine.
    Another question is how does one eat an entire serving of poutine!? I tried it and my American stomach gave up and refused to eat more.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

Another question is how does one eat an entire serving of poutine!? I tried it and my American stomach gave up and refused to eat more.
    Huh? Poutine, ain´t that either regular potato wedges or sweet potato wedges, cheese and gravy?

29. - Top - End - #479
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Huh? Poutine, ain´t that either regular potato wedges or sweet potato wedges, cheese and gravy?
    Cheese *curds*, not regular cheese, I think?

30. - Top - End - #480

One does not. At least, not at the place I get it at. Thing's a meal unto itself. We usually split it among the table. And then take most of the entree home in a box. Because this is America, dammit, if our portions aren't ludicrously big than something's wrong.
    At my place, it's fries, cheese curds, and gravy. I've had it differently at other places, but those places aren't two minutes from my house. And it's still fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Cheese *curds*, not regular cheese, I think?
    Indeed. the curd is the heart of both its tastiness and it's non-tasty-sounding-name.