New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Why do people sometimes post links to TvTropes and then follow the hyperlink with "WARNING: TvTropes".

Its been bugging me for weeks and I can't wrap my head around it.
    It is a well-accepted phenomenon that TvTropes will get you stuck in a Wiki Walk. The warning is a tongue-in-cheek "don't click this if you don't have twelve hours to spare.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, TV Tropes is even more of a time vampire than the regular Wikipedia, hence the warnings!

3. - Top - End - #513
    Firbolg in the Playground

Why do Imperials use 6'4'' instead of 6.3 ft or 76 in.

Also, are "foot" and "inch" supposed to be pluralised or kept singular.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post

They pluralize to feet and inches, and if you're going to use the 12 inch to a foot metric you might as well use it consistently and avoid decimal notation in feet.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

Outside of personal height, that's exactly what people who work with measurements do - they almost always stick with inches.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Outside of personal height, that's exactly what people who work with measurements do - they almost always stick with inches.
    "You must be 48" to go on this ride"

I was too young to go
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

There are 12 inches in a foot, so decimals would get weird. I don't know why people don't do it entirely in inches, probably just habit. I know I don't call it the 60 inch ladder, so there are some uses that use feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Orc in the Playground

I think I can answer this. Most folk who work out lengths regular in Imperial use inch - yards [36-1]. This means there's only one conversion needed [which is trickier due to the 12-3-1 ratios] and means folk like builders etc have a greater chance of doing it in their heads and getting the right result.

Similar is done with pound-stone-ton [14-160-1]; I've always seen folk skip 'stone' as a unit, with perhaps the sole exception of weight of people [and very occasionally livestock].
    My online 'cabinet of curios'; a collection of seemingly random thoughts, experiences, stories and investigations: https://talesfromtheminority.wordpress.com/

'This is my truth, tell me yours.' - Nye Bevan

9. - Top - End - #519
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    There are 12 inches in a foot, so decimals would get weird. I don't know why people don't do it entirely in inches, probably just habit.
    You misspelled "metric" there.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

They don't use 6.3ft because it's not a decimal system.

They don't use 76in because over a certain value it's easier to approximate to lower numbers of larger units than high multiples of smaller ones. If you know roughly how long a foot is, and roughly how long an inch is, you have a better chance of guessing the length of six feet than 72 inches, because there aren't so many opportunities for small errors to compound.

It's the same reason we have minutes as an intermediate measure between seconds and hours.

The terms pluralise as standard, to "feet" and "inches".

However, when talking about someone's height, it is normal (at least in the UK) not to pluralise "foot". So someone would be "six foot two", rather than "six feet two". That's pretty idiosyncratic, though; if you suffix the latter as "tall" for specificity, you revert back to plurals: "he's six feet tall".
    Also, and as suggested by the above, when you have both feet and inches in the same measure you don't normally need to specify "inches" as the second measure in colloquial speech: it's taken as read.

As to why these things, you might as well question any idiom. It's a quirk of the language, which presumably started at some point out of convenience and now habitual.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2018-05-02 at 01:44 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

11. - Top - End - #521
    Orc in the Playground

Sometimes, both units are dropped: 'he's six-two' is generally acceptable in the UK, though technically wrong grammar-wise. Similar was seen in pre-decimal currency; one shilling and sixpence was often simply called 'one and six' and the like.
    My online 'cabinet of curios'; a collection of seemingly random thoughts, experiences, stories and investigations: https://talesfromtheminority.wordpress.com/

12. - Top - End - #522
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    The terms pluralise as standard, to "feet" and "inches".

However, when talking about someone's height, it is normal (at least in the UK) not to pluralise "foot". So someone would be "six foot two", rather than "six feet two". That's pretty idiosyncratic, though; if you suffix the latter as "tall" for specificity, you revert back to plurals: "he's six feet tall".
    Also, and as suggested by the above, when you have both feet and inches in the same measure you don't normally need to specify "inches" as the second measure in colloquial speech: it's taken as read.

As to why these things, you might as well question any idiom. It's a quirk of the language, which presumably started at some point out of convenience and now habitual.
    There are actually reasons in this case. Apparently it goes back to Anglo-Saxon, or Ye Olde english. But it seems to stay pretty consistent in its applicability.

Specifically, you're not talking about a measurement by itself, but a descriptor.

From a different angle, think about this. Which sounds better:
    - "I ran a 45 second lap."
    - "I ran a 45 seconds lap."

The lap is what the sentence is about, while "45 second" is a descriptor, and you (at least generally) don't pluralize descriptors. When you reconstruct the sentence so it isn't a direct descriptor, it changes. "I ran a lap in 45 seconds."

Similarly, when you say "The 6 foot 2 inch man stole my rake!" you're talking about the man, and the height is a descriptor.

"He kicked the ball 30 metres."
    "That was a 30 metre kick."

So yeah, some combination of old grammar rules (or specifically not having "add an -s" as an old grammar rule) and English being a cobbled-together language.

-

Nah, you want confusing, try to figure out if, when talking about two people, both of which are named Mike Smith, do you refer to them as the "Mike Smiths" or the "Mikes Smith"?

What if it's a title, like Doctor? Are they the "Doctors Smith" now? Or the "Doctor Smiths"? Is it different?

I'm pretty sure the first case is "Mike Smiths", while the second is "Doctors Smith" but I couldn't for the life of me tell you why.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Nah, you want confusing, try to figure out if, when talking about two people, both of which are named Mike Smith, do you refer to them as the "Mike Smiths" or the "Mikes Smith"?

What if it's a title, like Doctor? Are they the "Doctors Smith" now? Or the "Doctor Smiths"? Is it different?

I'm pretty sure the first case is "Mike Smiths", while the second is "Doctors Smith" but I couldn't for the life of me tell you why.
    This is easy enough. In the first case, the name is not "Mike" or "Smith", but "Mike Smith". For multi word nouns, you pluralize the last word. For the second, you pluralize the modifier "Doctor" instead of the name.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Halfling in the Playground

So, there's supposedly two types of coconuts, and I know this because I had both in my childhood. One's the hairy one, with the weird tasting liquid that shows up on Google when you look up "coconut". Then, there's the cool dude coconut that grows on palm trees and stuff, from which the juice tastes excellent. What's the second one, and why is it ALSO called a coconut?

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutKing View Post
    So, there's supposedly two types of coconuts, and I know this because I had both in my childhood. One's the hairy one, with the weird tasting liquid that shows up on Google when you look up "coconut". Then, there's the cool dude coconut that grows on palm trees and stuff, from which the juice tastes excellent. What's the second one, and why is it ALSO called a coconut?
    I have no idea what you mean by "cool dude" coconut, but if I had to hazard a guess, theyre probably both called coconuts because theyre similar species.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutKing View Post
    Do you mean these?

Because they are exactly the same fruit.

EDIT: Wait... Shouldn't you know that? Your tag is "COCONUTKING"!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2018-05-02 at 11:20 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

17. - Top - End - #527

BlackDragon

Yeah, the smooth green surface is the actual fruit, while the thing we call a coconut is the seed inside that fruit, as far as I know. There aren't other varieties of coconut.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Do you mean these?

I think the real question is why does CoconutKing think the drinkables are different?

Edit: A little Googling tells me that the green ones are immature and the hairy ones are more mature, with different amounts of liquid in them depending on the maturity. So that might be the reason.
    Last edited by Fiery Diamond; 2018-05-03 at 03:22 AM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Due to cleaning today, I'm reminded of one of my biggest things I don't understand. Years ago, I owned a flatscreen computer monitor that had the screen covered in hard, clear plastic to protect it. What I don't understand is why doesn't every LED monitor have that? Trying to clean my many screens without damaging them (or being afraid of damaging them) is a major pain.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Due to cleaning today, I'm reminded of one of my biggest things I don't understand. Years ago, I owned a flatscreen computer monitor that had the screen covered in hard, clear plastic to protect it. What I don't understand is why doesn't every LED monitor have that? Trying to clean my many screens without damaging them (or being afraid of damaging them) is a major pain.
    Remember the price of those older LED monitors? What do you pay now for one quadruple the size?

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Remember the price of those older LED monitors? What do you pay now for one quadruple the size?
    The ones nowadays are cheaper because the underlying technology has improved, else 4K screens wouldn't have quartered their price in the last two years. I seriously doubt a sheet of clear plastic will affect the price.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Orc in the Playground

Florian was more referencing the 'price to replace' than 'cost of the plastic'. The price of an LCD TV was [inflation adjusted]...

1997: $39,000
    2000: $2,900
    2004: $2,000
    2008: $900
    2012: $500
    2018: $400

[Tried to do 'like with like', though is difficult. But a fair guestimate].

Naturally, this price drop would have hit monitors too.

If you had an electronic device which then cost more than some new cars, I think I'd want that piece of plastic to make it less likely to be broken! It may be you had for some reason a very early model.
    Last edited by Mr Blobby; 2018-05-03 at 03:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

Hadn't considered that angle.

24. - Top - End - #534

BlackDragon

Having a thick plastic layer on top of the screen wouldn't help the clarity of the picture, either. Not so much of an issue when your LCD monitor has pixels big enough that you could see them from across the room, but on a modern hi-res display, more of a problem.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I have no idea what you mean by "cool dude" coconut, but if I had to hazard a guess, theyre probably both called coconuts because theyre similar species.
    See, I should probably have considered that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Do you mean these?

THEY ARE??? Well, I'm disowning the hairy ones.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Yeah, the smooth green surface is the actual fruit, while the thing we call a coconut is the seed inside that fruit, as far as I know. There aren't other varieties of coconut.
    That's so weird. The thing is, I've always seen the green coconut stuff on trees, but I've seen the hairy coconuts at Hindu temples and at family weddings. So I kinda assumed they were different. I just really liked the coconut fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I think the real question is why does CoconutKing think the drinkables are different?

Edit: A little Googling tells me that the green ones are immature and the hairy ones are more mature, with different amounts of liquid in them depending on the maturity. So that might be the reason.
    Yeah, they taste different, which was one of the bigger reasons why I figured they were different in the first place. But that explanation makes a lot of sense.

It appears Google-fu thoroughly failed me.

26. - Top - End - #536

So I can have coconut that doesn't taste like the white innards? Because that's something I'm interested in. Never liked coconut before, but I'd totally be up for trying the "fruit" part of it.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fun fact: green and black olives also are the same species. Black olives are fully ripe. Oil is made from the green ones. They both aren't eaten when freshly picked and uncured, because they are too bitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #538

Nearly all mushrooms we eat are the same mushroom. Button, portabello, cremini, etc. If you've eaten one mushroom, you've eaten 'em all. They're all the same species, just at a different stage of development.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-05-04 at 07:04 AM.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

I understand the scenario that leads to the discovery of immediately edible stuff, like apples or even more complicated things like nuts or meats.

But how in the world did some recipes come to be? Surströmming is a mild case as "add vinegar" to anything to keep it for longer seems just right. But Hákarl aka the fermented shark meat? Roasted coffee beans ground up in water? Or anything involving distilled or fermented spirits and alcohol?

Surely they must have been based on a rather big dare. "I give you 5 sea shells if you eat this rotten shark, another two if you drink this old cherry juice." "Okay...hey, this is kinda nice."

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ettin in the Playground

Fermentation is unavoidable with a great many foods. There's a theory that bears like honey because a noticeable amount ferments in the hive, and I remember an incident in elementary school where half the students got mildly drunk on improperly stored orange juice. All it takes is one or two people getting drunk accidentally and liking it, then deciding to figure out how to make that happen again.