New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I understand the scenario that leads to the discovery of immediately edible stuff, like apples or even more complicated things like nuts or meats.

But how in the world did some recipes come to be? Surströmming is a mild case as "add vinegar" to anything to keep it for longer seems just right. But Hákarl aka the fermented shark meat? Roasted coffee beans ground up in water? Or anything involving distilled or fermented spirits and alcohol?

Surely they must have been based on a rather big dare. "I give you 5 sea shells if you eat this rotten shark, another two if you drink this old cherry juice." "Okay...hey, this is kinda nice."
    Alcohol is a fundamental force of civilisation, since you need so many elements to make it that are impossible to maintain with a hunter gatherer society.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

From my understanding, the alcohol content of various foods and drinks has gone up fairly sharply in the modern era compared to before. Originally, alcoholic drinks were some of the only ones guaranteed to not make you too sick, which is why people ate/drank them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So I can have coconut that doesn't taste like the white innards? Because that's something I'm interested in. Never liked coconut before, but I'd totally be up for trying the "fruit" part of it.
    There is not really a "fruit" part to eat, between the green skin and inner shell are only inedible fibres (the stuff that makes them float). Freshly harvested coconuts do however contain much more coconut water than the stuff you find in stores and probably taste different for that reason.

Nearly all edible mushrooms are the same mushroom. Button, portabello, cremini, etc. If you've eaten one mushroom, you've eaten 'em all. They're all the same species, just at a different stage of development.
    I'd guess it is rather "nearly all eaten mushrooms are the same". The types you listed are all Agaricus bisporus, which might be the most common commercially cultivated mushroom and gets thrown into most food products that are supposed to contain mushrooms. There are tons of different species of edible mushrooms, with quite the differences in taste and texture.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2018-05-04 at 04:32 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

4. - Top - End - #544
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    There is not really a "fruit" part to eat, between the green skin and inner shell are only inedible fibres (the stuff that makes them float). Freshly harvested coconuts do however contain much more coconut water than the stuff you find in stores and probably taste different for that reason.

I'd guess it is rather "nearly all eaten mushrooms are the same". The types you listed are all Agaricus bisporus, which might be the most common commercially cultivated mushroom and gets thrown into most food products that are supposed to contain mushrooms. There are tons of different species of edible mushrooms, with quite the differences in taste and texture.
    Yeah. That was badly phrased. Thanks!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #545
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    From my understanding, the alcohol content of various foods and drinks has gone up fairly sharply in the modern era compared to before. Originally, alcoholic drinks were some of the only ones guaranteed to not make you too sick, which is why people ate/drank them.
    Generally, while the alcohol % has gone up since c1900, the amount drunk has fallen off a cliff, resulting in a net decrease of units consumed per capita. I've seen statistics that the latter has gone down 2/3 in the UK since Victorian days, for example. I'd put much more stock in us living in a world where sobriety is vital [driving, operating machines etc], non-drinking pastimes [TV, films etc], the fact we can get painkillers and more of us can't drink due to medication etc. Even culture changes; I think here in the UK 'a drink with a weekday lunch' is on the endangered list - but was still common enough say 20 years ago.

But not all booze content has risen; pre-modern wines were around 15-20% [now ~12.5%], and lager/ale went from 5.5-7.5% [1880's] to the ~4% seen now. The former being increased understanding of the process allows quicker production and better taste quality, while the latter was due to repeated watering-down caused by two World Wars and [allegedly] catering to changing taste.

A wider choice in booze may play a part too. Before c1950 [for example] in the UK the only two spirits really consumed were gin and whiskey - I remember a novel written/set in the '30s where a good ~100 words were devoted to the description of, and the character talking about the consumption of vodka. Naturally, they wouldn't have done this if vodka consumption was high enough for most folk to be familiar with it.
    Last edited by Mr Blobby; 2018-05-07 at 12:18 AM.
    My online 'cabinet of curios'; a collection of seemingly random thoughts, experiences, stories and investigations: https://talesfromtheminority.wordpress.com/

'This is my truth, tell me yours.' - Nye Bevan

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Small corrections:

The beer brewing process didn't significantly change in the last centuries. You still basically get two kinds of wort out of one batch, the first being rather strong and concentrated, the second being considerably weaker in strength and concentration, but also needing less fermentation time. Earlier, it used to be common practice to keep both separated to get a strong (5,5% ABV) and a weak (2,5% ABV) ale, while nowadays, we mix them together again for a regular (4% ABV) ale.

Broadly speaking, reducing ABV to the 4 - 4,5 range is mostly a thing for the mass market and is caused how alcohol taxation is handled in most countries, with most of them basing the taxation on the original degrees Plato of the wort, which is generally 3xABV (i.e. a standard Lager with 4% ABV has an original 12°P, while a, say, Russian Imperial Stout with 8% ABV has an original 24°P.)

7. - Top - End - #547
    Orc in the Playground

Correcting the correction:

Didn't say beer-brewing process had significantly changed. That is, outside of increases of technology. However, many recipes have changed over the last century, some due to ingredients change and others plain 'improving flavour for the market we're aiming at'.

Though it does depend where in the world you are; as a rule, I've found Anglo nations much less 'respectful' towards beer than say Europeans...
    Last edited by Mr Blobby; 2018-05-07 at 02:47 AM.
    My online 'cabinet of curios'; a collection of seemingly random thoughts, experiences, stories and investigations: https://talesfromtheminority.wordpress.com/

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

I understand the scenario that leads to the discovery of immediately edible stuff, like apples or even more complicated things like nuts or meats.
    On that same line, I do have to wonder how the Japanese/Korean figured out which bits of the fugu were safe to eat. You'd think that after the first few dead they'd simply steer away from the death fish, but they kept at it, for some reason. Maybe it was the only fish they caught?

But how in the world did some recipes come to be? Surströmming is a mild case as "add vinegar" to anything to keep it for longer seems just right. But Hákarl aka the fermented shark meat? Roasted coffee beans ground up in water? Or anything involving distilled or fermented spirits and alcohol?
    Alcohol & other "spoiled" foods (e.g. cheese) are usually "this stock of food has gone bad, but we're hungry. I'd rather try to eat it and hope it won't kill me to starving to death". Similarly, a lot of "strong taste" additives (such as vinegar) also likely come from trying to cover up the taste of food gone bad. As to other recipes? As an (amateur) cook myself, all I can say is that after a while you get a feeling for what tastes will go well together. The film Ratatuille does a very good job explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Originally, alcoholic drinks were some of the only ones guaranteed to not make you too sick, which is why people ate/drank them.
    I've heard the same thing - in fact, as one of my professors (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) put it, civilizations come in three big groups in that regard: those whose national drink is alcoholic, those whose national drink involves boiling water, and those that were ravaged by cholera a lot more than the previous two.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-05-08 at 12:05 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    ....I've heard the same thing - in fact, as one of my professors (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) put it, civilizations come in three big groups in that regard: those whose national drink is alcoholic, those whose national drink involves boiling water, and those that were ravaged by cholera a lot more than the previous two.

Grey Wolf

Sounds like an awesome class!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #550
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

On that same line, I do have to wonder how the Japanese/Korean figured out which bits of the fugu were safe to eat. You'd think that after the first few dead they'd simply steer away from the death fish, but they kept at it, for some reason. Maybe it was the only fish they caught?
    Given their propensity to find a reason to kill themselves one way or another; I'm not really surprised it was the Asians who discovered the secret, and not any other.

I've heard the same thing - in fact, as one of my professors (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) put it, civilizations come in three big groups in that regard: those whose national drink is alcoholic, those whose national drink involves boiling water, and those that were ravaged by cholera a lot more than the previous two.
    That's a good one, lol. It also explains a lot about Oregon Trail*. I remember having read somewhere that the importance of alcohol was merely a myth, and that even ancient societies would restrict its use for religious/recreational purposes, not actual hydration. Makes sense, given the poor hydration stats of any alcoholic beverage. Unless you are a sailor, that is.

*Do Americans have a national drink anyway? Other than soda?

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    On a related note, I know some variety/es of "coconuts" with similar characteristics (hard shell, fibre, and a "nut" inside). Like the coconut, if you want anything edible, you need to crack the inner shell; but since they are so small (smaller than the length of a thumb) you don't get too much of it anyway, and they don't contain any noticeable amount of liquid. Those that are safe to eat are pretty sweet, though, so some people would use them as sweetener for infusions (think of adding vanilla+honey to your tea) or in some pastries. I'm unsure whether the species is related (they do grow on palms though) but people here would call them names like "lil coconut" or something like that.
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2018-05-08 at 01:46 PM.
    (sic)

My English non trčs bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Joeltion View Post
    I remember having read somewhere that the importance of alcohol was merely a myth, and that even ancient societies would restrict its use for religious/recreational purposes, not actual hydration. Makes sense, given the poor hydration stats of any alcoholic beverage. Unless you are a sailor, that is.
    Even weak alcohol content is enough to put a dent on cholera and other harmful bacteria in the drinking water. Didn't completely cleanse it, of course, but enough it is thought it made a difference. As to whether it was a myth? No, not at all. "Panem et Circenses" leaves out the most crucial of the three things that the poor citizens of Rome got for free: with their daily ration of bread and entertainment, they got also a free daily ration of wine. And when the free stuff was under threat, they rioted over the missing wine more than they did over the bread.

What could be thought of as a myth is that they were all drunk all the time, because this was quite weak wine (or beer or whatever the local equivalent was). You had to be very committed to get drunk, it wasn't something that just happened.

I hear that the "South" has a propensity towards iced tea (Peelee might need to confirm). Also, they did have enough German immigrants (many, I have recently learnt, fleeing after losing the revolutions of 1848) that they have a strong beer culture (insert here joke about making love in a canoe).

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

12. - Top - End - #552

I hear that the "South" has a propensity towards iced tea (Peelee might need to confirm).
    Bang on the money. Restaurants are absolutely judged poorly if they have bad iced tea. Though it's also all relative, too. Like, nobody goes to Taco Bell expecting quality Mexican food, and nobody buys Luzianne expecting the good stuff. It's cheap, fast, and good enough.

Props to Arizona Bevegage Co., btw. Who says northerners can't make good tea?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-05-08 at 02:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

According to google, America has a thing for bourbon, with the east coast at least also having a very strong milk industry. Commence milk-drinker jokes.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

There are jokes about milk drinkers? I thought everyone drank milk.

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Why else do you think everyone is mocked at some point in their lives?

16. - Top - End - #556
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I think it's likely that (a) the fish was just that delicious that the occasional death was worth it and (b) the parts of the fish that are most highly toxic are mostly the bits you wouldn't eat anyway, like the eyes, ovaries and skin. The liver is the one part that's highly toxic and which people might also eat.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

At one time I would have said cider but by the mid 1800's the nation had developed various localized markets....bourbon, rum was very popular for a long time, but prohibition kinda left the whole system very messed up and "drinking culture" was basically atomized.

I figure it was young men daring each other is peacocking risk taking behavior....it was the hood surfing of its time.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2018-05-08 at 05:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

If we're talking about weird food that make no sense to eat, I'd have to bring up almonds. Before being domesticated, wild almonds had high concentrations of cyanide and were remarkably poisonous. Like, why would someone look at that and think it would be nice to eat? It's literally poison!
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

The exact opposite could be said about Ricin. Who would have thought castor seeds could contain something so deadly? What were those scientists thinking exactly - were they looking into everything on the off-chance it could be poison?

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blobby View Post
    The exact opposite could be said about Ricin. Who would have thought castor seeds could contain something so deadly? What were those scientists thinking exactly - were they looking into everything on the off-chance it could be poison?
    Often, yes. Usually because the military asked them to. That's certainly how german scientists discovered (invented?) FOOF and Chlorine trifluoride.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-05-08 at 09:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    If we're talking about weird food that make no sense to eat, I'd have to bring up almonds. Before being domesticated, wild almonds had high concentrations of cyanide and were remarkably poisonous. Like, why would someone look at that and think it would be nice to eat? It's literally poison!
    Quite simple....every once in a while a particular tree is basically non poisonous. the domesticated almond is just a stabilzed pure version of this mutation. And it takes one nibble to notice the difference and some animals may treat treat that individual tree differently (and thus spark human investigation)....
    And oak trees are similar - there are rare examples of oaks with sweet acorns - but the genetics are wonkier and harder to breed true. though people have tried.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Props to Arizona Bevegage Co., btw. Who says northerners can't make good tea?
    I do. That stuff is nasty. Barely above Brisk, and that "tea" is like to make me vomit.

"Stuff I don't understand" includes why people like Arizona (or any pre-packaged tea) teas. It tastes just like what it is: old tea that's been left to sit for weeks or months at a time.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-05-09 at 12:37 AM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I remember having read somewhere that the importance of alcohol was merely a myth, and that even ancient societies would restrict its use for religious/recreational purposes, not actual hydration. Makes sense, given the poor hydration stats of any alcoholic beverage. Unless you are a sailor, that is.
    I remember, when I was studying at University, being shown a 19th century street map of London, England which had been overlaid with a key showing the concentration of cholera victims in a given area.

It was specifically and deliberately pointed out to us by my lecturer that the streets surrounding the local brewery were almost entirely free of cholera victims, even though there were 'hot zones' right next door. It was apparently proven that the brewery workers made up a tiny percentage of cholera victims expressly because a lot of what they drank was their free beer (a perk of the job) and/or an isolated water supply treated for and by the brewing process, rather than the local disease-ridden standpipes.

Obviously trends and availability change over time, but it was one of the few times that industrialisation and mass production proved to be a benefit rather than the problem.

The general consensus from abroad is that it would be either coffee (specifically the myriad of varieties served in the Starbucks-esque style takeaway cups) or bourbon; while not unique to the USA, it's certainly more popularised there.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

24. - Top - End - #564
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bang on the money. Restaurants are absolutely judged poorly if they have bad iced tea. Though it's also all relative, too. Like, nobody goes to Taco Bell expecting quality Mexican food, and nobody buys Luzianne expecting the good stuff. It's cheap, fast, and good enough.
    Or to PizzaHut, and expect pizza. *shudders*
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #565

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I do. That stuff is nasty. Barely above Brisk, and that "tea" is like to make me vomit.

"Stuff I don't understand" includes why people like Arizona (or any pre-packaged tea) teas. It tastes just like what it is: old tea that's been left to sit for weeks or months at a time.
    Eh, different strokes for different folks. Love me some Arizona Arnold Palmer's, or raspberry tea, though that's harder to find.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Eh, different strokes for different folks. Love me some Arizona Arnold Palmer's, or raspberry tea, though that's harder to find.
    I find myself with a quietly simmering hatred for Arizona tea ever since somebody dropped a big plastic gallon of it all over the floor of the store I work at. A gallon is a lot of tea to clean up.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I remember, when I was studying at University, being shown a 19th century street map of London, England which had been overlaid with a key showing the concentration of cholera victims in a given area.

It was specifically and deliberately pointed out to us by my lecturer that the streets surrounding the local brewery were almost entirely free of cholera victims, even though there were 'hot zones' right next door. It was apparently proven that the brewery workers made up a tiny percentage of cholera victims expressly because a lot of what they drank was their free beer (a perk of the job) and/or an isolated water supply treated for and by the brewing process, rather than the local disease-ridden standpipes.
    There's a really good Extra History series about this specific outbreak that's worth a watch, if you have the time.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Orc in the Playground

And if you haven't, you can dig out the ~5 min clip about it from the series 'What the Victorians Did For Us'.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As to whether it was a myth? No, not at all. "Panem et Circenses" leaves out the most crucial of the three things that the poor citizens of Rome got for free: with their daily ration of bread and entertainment, they got also a free daily ration of wine. And when the free stuff was under threat, they rioted over the missing wine more than they did over the bread.

What could be thought of as a myth is that they were all drunk all the time, because this was quite weak wine (or beer or whatever the local equivalent was). You had to be very committed to get drunk, it wasn't something that just happened.
    Phrased it poorly. I was referring to the origin of alcohol. There's a common* misconception that alcohol originated because tribes ancient civilizations needed a way to safely store water sources for when there weren't "fresh" sources available. Like the sailors did in the old days (I think).

*[citation needed]

I hear that the "South" has a propensity towards iced tea (Peelee might need to confirm). Also, they did have enough German immigrants (many, I have recently learnt, fleeing after losing the revolutions of 1848) that they have a strong beer culture (insert here joke about making love in a canoe).
    Yeah, well, "beer" and "American" aren't words you usually put together in the same sentence, amarite? Come to think of it, I guess lemonade juice iced tea is perfectly valid. Iced tea is common in Asia too, after all. But what about the north, specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Me and my mild intolerance are glancing at you Hail Bast for thy lactose-free milk

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    At one time I would have said cider but by the mid 1800's the nation had developed various localized markets....bourbon, rum was very popular for a long time, but prohibition kinda left the whole system very messed up and "drinking culture" was basically atomized.
    I suppose that explains a lot.

Computer stuff recently caught my attention. I'm basically illiterate in things more complicated than "insert CD, run install" and "press the reset button till it works fine again". I was considering try and look for some basic literature on programming but a) Uni is devouring my life, and b) I really have a hard time getting around all that wizardry and stuff.

Having a practically dead PC also doesn't help (one of these days I'll turn that thing into an oversized typewriter). It's also not that I need to know; but I tend to hold grudges against all knowledge that escapes my mind. It's an annoying thought that I can't seem to easily get rid off. It would probably help me know some basic things by next semester too, but it's very low on my current "To Study" list.
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2018-05-09 at 01:48 PM.
    (sic)

My English non trčs bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Phrased it poorly. I was referring to the origin of alcohol. There's a common* misconception that alcohol originated because tribes ancient civilizations needed a way to safely store water sources for when there weren't "fresh" sources available. Like the sailors did in the old days (I think).

*[citation needed]
    Yeah, that's completely new to me, even as an urban legend. The hypothesis I've always been told is that people like getting buzzed, and thus alcohol was constantly being discovered and retained everywhere. But as a liquid storage? No, that wouldn't really make much sense to me. People settled next to rivers so they didn't need to worry about that. I'd have to dig into population centers established away from fresh water sources to see what they did, but for much of human civilization, those were quite rare, I'd imagine. If you didn't have a river handy, and wells were not in the cards, you found somewhere else to settle.

Thinking about it, maybe mining communities? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but at least now I see what you're suggesting. I suppose I can't completely discard the possibility that if they had to import hydration, they might import beer over water in part because it might have traveled better, and already had distribution networks. That said, carrying water with donkeys was (and in fact, is!) a thing, so water was definitely moved around too.

Grey Wolf