New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Logarithms. I know how to read a logarithmic graph and they are helpful in displaying information in some cases. But the math behind it always flew past my head.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view."
    Worse with me. I find it very hard to read logarithmic graphs, which is partially because I don't understand why you need them in the first place.
    Yes, they show exponential functions in way that they look linear - but isn't the whole point of exponential functions that they grow faster than linear functions, and thus should look like they grew faster?

Logarithmic graphs, for me, have the charm of someone painting a square like a circle, because circles look nicer.

All that, and I even like math very much like a true nerd :ashamed:
    Last edited by Mightymosy; 2018-06-24 at 06:32 PM.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Worse with me. I find it very hard to read logarithmic graphs, which is partially because I don't understand why you need them in the first place.
    Yes, they show exponential functions in way that they look linear - but isn't the whole point of exponential functions that they grow faster than linear functions, and thus should look like they grew faster?

Logarithmic graphs, for me, have the charm of someone painting a square like a circle, because circles look nicer.

All that, and I even like math very much like a true nerd :ashamed:
    In my experience, it compresses information on the graph better, and allows you to more easily pull information from.

Instead of needing a huge Linear graph to account for orders of magnitude, you have a smaller log plot that you take your points off a linear equation, and convert as needed.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    What if you want to quickly compare different exponential functions? There them being linear makes the comparison easy. Similarly, what if you have something not quite exponential, where you want to see the particulars? On a normal graph it often looks pretty similar, but a logarithmic graph can show the differences clearly.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

One excellent reason to use the log scale:

Spoiler: Spoilered for size
    Show

Xkcd has done a couple

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Logarithms. I know how to read a logarithmic graph and they are helpful in displaying information in some cases. But the math behind it always flew past my head.
    Maths?! Alright let me try.
    I will try to make this as simple as possible and not include proofs (just explanations) starting from the basics (since I don't know what you are familiar with)

*Cracks knucles*

First let's talk about functions, those are basically transformation machines: you give a number a number x to the function f it gives you the number y : f(x)=y

When you map that function on two-way graph you get a continuous (not always but that is beside the point) courb where every point on the X-axis has a single counterpart on the Y-axis (but each point on the Y-axis may have any number of counterparts from zero to infinity).

Now, let's talk about derivatives. A derivative is a function (f') which indicates how "fast" another function (f) changes. On the courb it is the incline of the courb of f.
    So if f(x) = 1 then f'(x)=0: the courb never evolves.
    if f(x) = x then f'(x)=1: the courb changes at a constant rate and for any given numbers a and b f(b)-f(a) = b-a.
    if f(x) = 2x then f'(x)=2: the courb changes at a constant rate and for any given numbers a and b f(b)-f(a) = 2(b-a).
    if f(x) = x² then f'(x) = 2x: the courb will climb twice as fast as x.
    etc etc.
    Keep in mind: the higher the value of the derivative the faster the courb climbs. Which means that if f'(x)>0 then the courb does climb, f(x)=0 it is static, f'(x)<0 it decreases.

Now, given a derivative and the value of f(x0) where x0 is any single real only one function has this value at this point and this derivative: this is enough todefine a function.

Let us consider a function (that we call the exponentional) defined like this:
    exp(0) = 1 and exp'(x)=exp(x) ie the fuction that equals 1 in zero and is its own derivative
    Spoiler: Here it is
    Show

Let us observe this for a moment.
    Exp(x) never equals 0 or less, and indeed if it did its derivative would, and exp would eternally decrease or be static and we know that its derivative is more than 0 at one point meaning that it increases.

Since its derivative is always >0 then it always increases in value which means that
    1) it never stops growing (its limit in positive infinity is positive infinity).
    2) going the other way when x becomes an ever greater negative, exp becomes closer to zero (without ever reaching it (its limit in negative infinity is zero)
    3) given any real b and a, if b>a then exp(b)>exp(a) and if exp(b)=exp(a) then a=b.

That means that exp is a bijective function from R to R+*, or in everyday english: every real positive or negative has a real positive counterpart when processed through exp and for any and all real positive (except zero) there is one and only one real (positive or negative) which when processed through exp gives that real positive.

This means that ther is a function, called the natural logarithm (ln) such that ln=exp-1 or if exp(x)=y then ln(y)=x for every (x,y).
    So we have exp(ln(x))= ln(exp(x))= x

Spoiler: Here is ln:
    Show

Spoiler: Note the symmetry
    Show

Like exp, ln is always increasing but it tends toward negative infinity when x tends towards 0 and increases much more slowly. (In fact ln and exp are the slowest and fastest increasing functions respectively.)

But we are not done with exp. See one its properties is this one:
    exp(a+b) = exp(a)*exp(b) this in turns means exp(2a) = exp(a+a) = exp(a)*exp(a) = (exp(a))²
    The same is true if you replace 2 with any other real:
    exp(a*b) = (exp(a))b = (exp(b))a
    Now this is interesting because powers have the exact same properties:
    22*3 = (23)² = (2²)3 = 64
    Basically it looks like exp(x) is a power of a number e, which is why you often see it written ex. e is an irrational which equals 2.7182...

Okay we've done the concept-heavy part, now comes the calculation-heavy part but bear with me:

Let's look at the powers of ten: 100=1, 101=10, 10²=100, 103=1,000, 1041=10,000.
    Doesn't it look like a function to you? with f(x)=10x? But we can only use that when x is a natural but how can we calculate 102.3? We'd have to multiply by ten 2.3 times.
    Well what if we wrote 10 as exp(ln(10))?*
    102.3 = (exp(ln(10))2.3 =exp(2.3*ln(10)).
    And done, we have a continous function on R+ for the powers of ten.

So now if we want to compress very great numbers (or expands very small numbers) on a readable scale we can just process everything through ln to get much more manageable numbers. Well almost.
    ln(10x) = x*ln(10) and ln(10) = 2.3025... and I don't know about you but I'd rather have my scale read 1km, 10km, 100km, etc rather than 2.302km, 23.02km, 230.2km etc.

So let's define log10 like this log10(x)=ln(x)/ln(10) this way we have log10(10x) = x and (10log10(x)) = x and all is well.

Aaah, aren't maths beautiful?

I used the powers of 10 here because they are commonly used but it works with any power (except 1) . For example computer scientists will use log2.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    All the info!
    Wow... ok, that's quite an info dump. It's right, and very thorough, but it goes through calculus to reach the answer. I'm going to try to simplify it a bit more.

A log graph is literally a exponential graph with the x and y switched!

If you take the graph of:
    y = ax you get the first graph that Fyraltari posted.

If you switch that x and y you get
    x = ay

which is the same graph, but mirrored across the line x = y. Look at Fyraltari's third graph, you can see both graphs and the line (45 degree line) they're mirrored across.

But we like writing equations in certain ways. y = formula.

So just as if we had
    3y = x
    we would rewrite it as
    y = x/3

we want to do the same with the above formula. But we don't have a way to invert ay (we can say a = the y root of x, but that doesn't help since both y and x are on the same side now)

so we make one up.

y = loga(x)

The log base (in this case, a), to the value of y, = the number you're taking the log of. Basically, Log asks, what exponent would this base need to be to to get this result.

Hopefully that explains it alright without going into calculus?
    Last edited by ve4grm; 2018-06-25 at 02:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I used the powers of 10 here because they are commonly used but it works with any power (except 1) . For example computer scientists will use log2.
    Though if we're talking about common use here natural log deserves particular recognition, using a base of e (which I'm sure you know). The math works out so nicely with ex, particularly with calculus that it just makes sense to map most things to it, pulling natural log along for the ride.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Firbolg in the Playground

Why chicken curry, instead of curry chicken?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #669
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Why chicken curry, instead of curry chicken?
    Because the curry is the dish, the chicken is the variety of the dish.
    Beef stew, lobster á la greque, and so forth.

If you asked for dinner, and were told it was chicken you might me quite surprised to find it was curried chicken. If you were told it was curry, you wouldn't be surprised to find it was chicken curry.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    Because the curry is the dish, the chicken is the variety of the dish.
    Beef stew, lobster á la greque, and so forth.
    Or, put in language terms, because "chicken" is the adjective, and in English, the adjectives are placed before the noun.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

11. - Top - End - #671
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Also, you *could* describe the dish as "curried chicken" if you wanted to--I don't know anybody who actually does that, but the option is there.

12. - Top - End - #672

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Also, you *could* describe the dish as "curried chicken" if you wanted to--I don't know anybody who actually does that, but the option is there.
    Like, burgered meat? In another language (say, Romance?), probably "chicken a la curry" or something similar might make more sense than "curried chicken".
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2018-06-26 at 02:14 PM.
    (sic)

My English non très bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Joeltion View Post
    Like, burgered meat? In another language (say, Romance?), probably "chicken a la curry" or something similar might make more sense than "curried chicken".
    No, I feel that "burgered" (or "minced") beef would make more sense than "beef a la burger", because "a la" means "in the style of", and neither curry nor burger is a cooking style, but a preparation. A curry might at one point have meant "cooked with the leaves of the curry tree", but in English it means "spicy stew". And just like you can say beef stew or stewed beef but not beef a la stew, "burgered" could be used that way, I feel, even if it is not (although, as I said, I have used "minced (ingredient) often.

Now, yes, "Hamburger" could have originally been used as "beef a la Hamburg", but it has been quite some time since "burger" meant "meat prepared in the style connected to a Hanseatic city", if it ever did (a quick wikipedia check suggests its origins are disputed).

Grey Wolf

14. - Top - End - #674

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, I feel that "burgered" (or "minced") beef would make more sense than "beef a la burger", because "a la" means "in the style of", and neither curry nor burger is a cooking style, but a preparation. A curry might at one point have meant "cooked with the leaves of the curry tree", but in English it means "spicy stew". And just like you can say beef stew or stewed beef but not beef a la stew, "burgered" could be used that way, I feel, even if it is not (although, as I said, I have used "minced (ingredient) often.

Now, yes, "Hamburger" could have originally been used as "beef a la Hamburg", but it has been quite some time since "burger" meant "meat prepared in the style connected to a Hanseatic city", if it ever did (a quick wikipedia check suggests its origins are disputed).

Grey Wolf
    The burger part was referring to curried chicken making as much sense to me as burgered meat. That is, I have a harder time conceptualizing it, than the regular form.

The other part was because in other cultures, "stew" can be considered a cooking style, depending on context/wording*. Therefore, I think "stew style prepared (main ingredient)" might make sense for that culture, even if it doesn't translate well.

*In my native language, I can think some five or six different things when thinking about "stew". The concept ain't that different though
    Last edited by Lord Joeltion; 2018-06-26 at 02:57 PM.
    (sic)

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Joeltion View Post
    That is the case in French (well "au curry" because curry is masculine, but whatevs).
    Both actually:
    If you eat the dish curry using chicken meat you are eating "un curry de poulet" (a curry [made] of chicken).
    If you eat some chicken with curry on it you are eating "un poulet au curry" ("au" is masculine for "à la", meaning here "chicken with curry")
    but it should be noted that this is not the "à la" that English borrowed from French, that one is short for "à la manière [X]" (in the [X] way) where X is place or a person or whatever.
    Thaat's because in French, and I strongly suspect this is true of all Romance languages, you cannot just use a noun as if it were an adjective.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #676

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Awesome. Now I just need an explanation of "waifu," "husbando," "desu," and "doki doki."*

*For the record I know what all those things mean, but if anyone wants to give a joke answer I might find it amusing.
    I also forgot to ask about "kawaii."*

*Yes I know what that means. I'm just bored and looking for a funny explanation.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Dwarf in the Playground

*Yes I know what that means. I'm just bored and looking for a funny explanation.
    Obviously, it's where you end up when your flight to Hawaii makes a wrong turn.

18. - Top - End - #678

Quote Originally Posted by Random Sanity View Post
    Obviously, it's where you end up when your flight to Hawaii makes a wrong turn.
    Makes sense. I kind of want to go there now. What's their main export? Magical girls?

19. - Top - End - #679

SamuraiGuy

Isn't Kawaii a motorcycle brand?
    (sic)

20. - Top - End - #680

Now I can't help but think that I have never eaten actual curry, because all the curry stuff I have eaten was normally cooked or roasted + some spice or mix at the end called curry.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #681
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Now I can't help but think that I have never eaten actual curry, because all the curry stuff I have eaten was normally cooked or roasted + some spice or mix at the end called curry.
    An actual curry is a spicy dish of meat and/or vegetables cooked in a sauce, AFAIK. Spicy meat or veg that's not in a sauce is something else.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Dwarf in the Playground

Makes sense. I kind of want to go there now. What's their main export? Magical girls?
    That and stuffed animals.

23. - Top - End - #683

Quote Originally Posted by Random Sanity View Post
    That and stuffed animals.
    The kind of stuffed animals that run a school and try to have its students kill each other off or whatever happens in this game series?

24. - Top - End - #684
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't understand people who litter when there is a trash can right there.

My main gripe working in a high school right now when I do playground duty. The kids who sit near the trash are the worst offenders, they just leave it all right there on the ground instead of just reaching their arm over and dropping it in.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you know what you actually get when ordering a dish "hamburg style" in Germany? A sunny side up egg on top of the meat, no matter if it´s a burger or not....

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Do you know what you actually get when ordering a dish "hamburg style" in Germany? A sunny side up egg on top of the meat, no matter if it´s a burger or not....
    Best way to have a hamburger, so I'm fine with that. Weirdly, I've often come across that as "American style Hamburger" in various bars of Europe (Americans, as far as I have determined, definitely do not think it belongs there)

What style do I need to request if I want a pineapple slice on the meat instead?

GW

27. - Top - End - #687

Imp

Best way to have a hamburger, so I'm fine with that. Weirdly, I've often come across that as "American style Hamburger" in various bars of Europe (Americans, as far as I have determined, definitely do not think it belongs there)

What style do I need to request if I want a pineapple slice on the meat instead?

GW
    Go full Australian and top it with egg, pineapple, and beetroot.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

GW
    The nicer places tend to have the fried egg option. Of course, I might consider a place nicer by virtue of having that option to begin with, so there's that.

As for the pineapple... Hawaiian? They're definitely have to offer it on the menu, I don't know many places that keep whole pineapple slices in their repertoire.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The nicer places tend to have the fried egg option. Of course, I might consider a place nicer by virtue of having that option to begin with, so there's that.

As for the pineapple... Hawaiian? They're definitely have to offer it on the menu, I don't know many places that keep whole pineapple slices in their repertoire.
    There was a pub, about ten minutes' walk down from my office when I was in England, that had a £5 entry in their menu that was a slab of meat with a pineapple ring on top and a few fries. I'm sure there were other nice things in the menu, but the combination was perfect, and the cheapest option, and I never felt the need to explore beyond it.

Maybe it is a British dish, but since it was edible, I suspect not.

(Also, the "Hawaiian" in Hawaiian pizza refers to the source of the pineapple, as it turns out)

GW

30. - Top - End - #690
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

There was a pub, about ten minutes' walk down from my office when I was in England, that had a £5 entry in their menu that was a slab of meat with a pineapple ring on top and a few fries. I'm sure there were other nice things in the menu, but the combination was perfect, and the cheapest option, and I never felt the need to explore beyond it.

Maybe it is a British dish, but since it was edible, I suspect not.

(Also, the "Hawaiian" in Hawaiian pizza refers to the source of the pineapple, as it turns out)

GW
    Huh. I always figured it was pineapple (tropical, indicative of Hawaii) and ham and bacon (indicative of luau) that lent the name. Regardless, I'd wager few Hawaiian pizzas would use Hawaiian pineapples anymore.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2