New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, this was a fun thread while it lasted.
    I don't think this is really a "political topic".

I´m active in communal politics of a small town with 45K citizens and know some of the investment and upkeep costs of basic infrastructure, so I'm actually interested in why people think this can be handled by the free market economics.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Barbarian in the Playground

Must divert thread away from even pseudo political topics!

So are all Wes Anderson films part of a cinematic universe? I think that's a very important topic and requires our full attention.

3. - Top - End - #813

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    I don't think this is really a "political topic".
    It's literally a discussion of differing political ideologies, what they entail or not, and (in the original post) which political party is better at them. I'd ask what you think DOES count as a political topic, but that would be discussing politics, so never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    Gift cards . . . turning money usable everyplace into money usable at one place. This is a downgrade. Also something like 10% or 20% of gift cards are never used.
    A big part is that they want to show they at least know you well enough to know where you'll find something you'll want. And sometimes getting the exact item is difficult, in particular for clothing where fit is a very personal thing. So instead of buying clothes that may not fit and you'll need to return (for store credit, if they don't give you the receipt) they give you a gift card, effectively giving you that store credit directly. Because they know you'll find something there, but can't know exactly what without bringing you along.

I personally find them useful for people who are hard to shop for because they buy themselves what they want when they need it. They don't need the latest big game because they already got it, or passed it by. A Steam gift card, however, will be you funding the next big game they want. Additionally, it's harder to gift digital goods in the first place.

Personally, I've been asking for gift cards for ebooks or Home Depot, which I then spend on the next book I want to read, or on the next home improvement task.

Yes, you can get the same effect with a wad of cash with a note clipped to it, but it's less formal feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    So are all Wes Anderson films part of a cinematic universe? I think that's a very important topic and requires our full attention.
    Yes, in particular the Fantastic Mr. Fox. Somewhere in Wes Anderson's world of Owen Wilsons (all wandering around going "Wow...") there's an anthropomorphic fox.

4. - Top - End - #814

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Yes, in particular the Fantastic Mr. Fox. Somewhere in Wes Anderson's world of Owen Wilsons (all wandering around going "Wow...") there's an anthropomorphic fox.
    Owen Wilson wasn't in Rushmore.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why cats feel the need to cuddle when whoever they're cuddling is about to get up, and why they strategically place their body weight on limbs as to cut off circulation.
    Avatar: Undyne of Undertale, artwork made by me

Spoiler: Previously Played
    Show
    Andi, fisherwoman/sailor Triton Fighter/Warlock(celestial) - in The Black Omen Awaits (OOC / IC )

Noruva, necromancer/sage Human (aberrant dragonmark) Wizard (School of Invention) - in Heroes of Eberron ( OOC / IC )

6. - Top - End - #816
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Perficio View Post
    Why cats feel the need to cuddle when whoever they're cuddling is about to get up, and why they strategically place their body weight on limbs as to cut off circulation.
    Cats are weird, man. I had a cat that started complaining that she did not know where we were because she had wandered off to the other end of the house and we hadn't followed her. Cats are weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Perficio View Post
    Because if you're about to get up, you've probably been where you are long enough to build up a nice warm spot. And, since you smell like, well, you, and it's a nice warm spot, that's a great place for a cat to be.

I joke, but I think that's legit why cats will steal your seat when you get up.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #818
    Dwarf in the Playground

Because if you're about to get up, you've probably been where you are long enough to build up a nice warm spot. And, since you smell like, well, you, and it's a nice warm spot, that's a great place for a cat to be.

I joke, but I think that's legit why cats will steal your seat when you get up.
    Yeah, pursuit of the living warm spot - and pinning them down so they can't get away - is the best explanation for it. But it's silly, if I got up and this cat took my warm spot, they'd have all the warm to themselves - instead of being on the edge of the spot and draped over my boney ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Cats are weird, man. I had a cat that started complaining that she did not know where we were because she had wandered off to the other end of the house and we hadn't followed her. Cats are weird.
    ...That's really precious and also confusing, did she start just expecting you guys to always be hanging out with her?
    Avatar: Undyne of Undertale, artwork made by me

Spoiler: Previously Played
    Show
    Andi, fisherwoman/sailor Triton Fighter/Warlock(celestial) - in The Black Omen Awaits (OOC / IC )

Noruva, necromancer/sage Human (aberrant dragonmark) Wizard (School of Invention) - in Heroes of Eberron ( OOC / IC )

9. - Top - End - #819

My cats will actively lead. If they expect me to follow them and I don't, they'll come back and meow at me, then go back again and check to make sure I'm following.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh boy, how I know that. One of my cats is pretty aggressive, big and domineering, but sometimes wanders around the house and garden and suddenly starts to use "kitty voice" and cries because he's all alone.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Oh boy, how I know that. One of my cats is pretty aggressive, big and domineering, but sometimes wanders around the house and garden and suddenly starts to use "kitty voice" and cries because he's all alone.
    I can confirm that one of my cats does this as well. He will go exploring around the house, and then at some point (I guess) realise he can't see us, so he'll start meowing pathetically until we shout back, thus (I postulate) establishing our position. A few seconds later he will either walk back into the room we are in, or meow again to continue to triangulate.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

So you have cats playing marco polo with you. Great.
    Mine sits there and looks at me, and I have to guess that it's feeding time. Then again, she barely interacts with me when it's not feeding time.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My cat really, really doesn't like closed doors. He doesn't actually want to go through them, he just doesn't like them being closed.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #824

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    My cat really, really doesn't like closed doors. He doesn't actually want to go through them, he just doesn't like them being closed.
    We looked into this when our cats were kittens Apparently few cats do; I can't remember the specifics, but IIRC they think if they can't get in something exciting is going on where they can't go.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

We looked into this when our cats were kittens Apparently few cats do; I can't remember the specifics, but IIRC they think if they can't get in something exciting is going on where they can't go.
    The annoying thing is that it tends to be my bedroom door at like 6 AM. No, there is nothing exciting going on in there. Im asleep. It is definitionally unexciting.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

I basically "own" a bunch of "rescue cats", with 4 out of 6 six having a wilderness background and two having major disabilities.

It´s pretty interesting that the real wild critters are less demanding than the purely domestic ones, and it´s also very interesting to look at how communications skills develop.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: This threads has diverged into real world politics. Closed for review.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex