New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: What to build

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default What to build

So I will be starting am E6 game in a while and I can't decide what type of character I wanna play. I know I wanna be a psion but I don't know what role to play. Narrowed it down to 3. Either a tank (don't know what discipline), a battlefield controller (telepath probably), or a combo of both (shaper). Anyone have any thoughts on any of those or expierence on playing those types?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What to build

Okay, with e6 you have too little build room for most of the multi-role things in the game. Shaper's one of the better options, really, because Astral Construct makes for a really good pick to keep pace with higher-end fights later on without using outright shenanigans.

Some suggestions for Shaper:

Metapower(Complete Psionic page 63) is a feat that lets you permanently apply a metapsionic feat you have to a power you know, reducing the cost of that metamagic feat by 2 PP. What this actually does is make it so that you must manifest the power with that metamagic feat, but the PP cost for doing so is reduced by 2. Linked Power(C. Psi page 62) lets you Manifest two different powers at once, but the one being used through the feat happens next round, and the PP cost of the metamagic feat is the PP cost of the power manifested.

These two let you permanently apply Linked Power to a Power you're going to use frequently and then manifest another power to go off next round for 2 PP less. Sure, you need to expend Psionic Focus, but being able to reduce the PP cost of another power by 2 is able to be well worth it. An alternative pick is Extend Power, which costs 2 PP normally, then apply it to Astral Construct. This nets you doubled duration for Astral Construct for no PP cost increase, which is rather important for e6 because it gets you 12 round duration while also having 3rd level Astral Constructs.

A feat people don't give nearly enough credit for in its own right is Midnight Augmentation. Everyone talks about how it lets you get infinite PP if you have Bestow Power and two Essentia, but in e6 you only get that online at level 6, and you need to either use one of your extremely few class levels on an Incarnum class or get two Incarnum feats. However, as a stand-alone, it lets you pick a power each day to reduce the augmentation cost of by one, minimum one. This means that each additional level of Astral Construct costs one PP, not two, so you get 6th level Astral Constructs for 6 PP, not 3rd level Astral Constructs for 5 PP.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: What to build

Step 1. Be a kalashtar
    Step 2. Get 6 Power Link Shards
    Step 3. Augment two powers a day all the way to 18PP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: What to build

That feat to reduce the augmentation by 1 point was all I needed to convince me to go shaper.

What powers would you recommend? I'm not trying to be a straight damage dealer cause that's what I'm playing now. Should I focus on control powers, or out of combat stuff?

I am looking at guides, but I haven't found any E6 psion guides, if they exist. Hard to tell what's good for low levels when I have never used psionics before.
    Last edited by Aurosman; 2017-09-28 at 08:21 PM.