New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What is your personal player pet peeve?

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
    3. Characters can talk to each other
    But only in a limited way during combat. 6 seconds, on your characters turn. And expect anything your character does tell them in combat to be possibly overheard by enemies. If you want to discuss PC tactics with another player, best to do that before or after combat.

Even if your DM allows table talk in combat that goes beyond that, detailed unsolicited advice can rapidly approach trying to play the other person's character.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It saddens me to see that no matter how I express my concern of this toxic player behaviour, those who probably are guilty of it themselves (whether or not they are willing to admit it), are unable or blatantly refuse to see anything wrong in their actions.

I must admit, whenever I've been in a group with people who are "dominating jerks" as mephnick put it, I've been struggling with the urge to punch those people in the face for not understanding that I actually just might want to play my character MYSELF, no matter how stupid my choices might seem to them. Yes, D&D is a team game. But even team co-operation has its limits. Arguing over someone else's choices just because *you* think they're not the best possible choices is where the line is broken. Why can't you see that?

As it was said: Team members talking to each other, whether in-character or out-of-character, is fine, until it isn't. It's a thin line, but it's still there. Don't break it.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-01-17 at 10:04 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    It saddens me to see that no matter how I express my concern of this toxic player behaviour, those who probably are guilty of it themselves (whether or not they are willing to admit it), are unable or blatantly refuse to see anything wrong in their actions.

I must admit, whenever I've been in a group with people who are "dominating jerks" as mephnick put it, I've been struggling with the urge to punch those people in the face for not understanding that I actually just might want to play my character MYSELF, no matter how stupid my choices might seem to them. Yes, D&D is a team game. But even team co-operation has its limits. Arguing over someone else's choices just because *you* think they're not the best possible choices is where the line is broken. Why can't you see that?

As it was said: Team members talking to each other, whether in-character or out-of-character, is fine, until it isn't. It's a thin line, but it's still there. Don't break it.
    Out of character chatter and bullying has been so bad at my table that on one occasion I had to pass out a 'stick of talking' where you can't speak to other players OoC unless you were holding the stick.

The warlock was trying to intimidate a lackey, and the player whose paladin couldn't conscience being present for the interrogation felt the need to step in with "No no no, don't say that, say this." And proceeded to give a whole in-character speech. The warlock's player, who was a shrinking violet kind of person just sort of nods and says 'yeah, I say what he said.' And so was the warlock yet again prevented from actually playing the game. Infuriating.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by the_brazenburn View Post
    Hi DMs,
    As I have a fairly annoying group of friends that I DM for, there are a fair number of things that get on my nerves. What have your players done that causes you to cringe?
    Using healing potions when we have time and healing spells.

Thinking that "always round down" applies towards using a D6 as a D3.

People who think it is okay to pretend and play a dwarf or elf, but not the opposite sex.

A nigh complete lack of economics in the D&D 5e rules.

People who think that "smartest" action is always the "fun" action . . . doing stupid things in a story can be fun.

Not having non-adventuring spells and/or magical items.

Material components (I am okay with them being training wheels needed in order to set the correct mental framework . . . and that would be cultural).

The feats not having point-costs associated to them. Assuming going from a 15 to a 17 was 6pts, then feats should cost 1-6 pts.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    Out of character chatter and bullying has been so bad at my table that on one occasion I had to pass out a 'stick of talking' where you can't speak to other players OoC unless you were holding the stick.
    I solved it a long time ago by making all talk in character. Unless it's clearly communicating intent for what your charcater is doing to the DM.

I actually was already using a method angry wrote about when I read his article on it, it explains it better that I ever could.
    http://theangrygm.com/through-a-glas...er-seperation/

It makes for incredibly funny stuff when a player mouths off during a important negotiation with monsters. Or refers to the henchmen as "redshirts" or "trapspringer" or "bait".

During combat you just shut anyone else down immediately and tell them they can say what their character wants to yell out when it's their turn.

(Obviously brand new to D&D players require a bit of special handling until they pick up the rules a little.)

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The warlock was trying to intimidate a lackey, and the player whose paladin couldn't conscience being present for the interrogation felt the need to step in with "No no no, don't say that, say this." And proceeded to give a whole in-character speech. The warlock's player, who was a shrinking violet kind of person just sort of nods and says 'yeah, I say what he said.' And so was the warlock yet again prevented from actually playing the game. Infuriating.
    Oh I would have had strong words with that paladin's player after that session, and maybe again before the next session.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    Oh I would have had strong words with that paladin's player after that session, and maybe again before the next session.
    I kicked both of them out... Even though they're personal friends of mine. The strong words did nothing.

Previously on giantitp:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?529361-How-to-ditch-a-player
    Last edited by strangebloke; 2018-01-17 at 02:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I kicked both of them out... Even though they're personal friends of mine. The strong words did nothing.

Previously on giantitp:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ditch-a-player
    Bravo. Yeah even great friends aren't always great players.