New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 66 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Xanathar's Guide - Official Videos describing Confirmed Subclasses

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Theurge as the only Wizard archetype makes a lot of sense from the perspective of, “Less is more”. By adding Theurge you’re actually kind of adding one archetype for every Cleric Domain, aren’t you?
    It's a great way for WoTC to keep the wizards strong while appealing to the lesser learned mages.

"No see we only gave wizards one subclass, we aren't biased"

2. - Top - End - #272

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    It's a great way for WoTC to keep the wizards strong while appealing to the lesser learned mages.

"No see we only gave wizards one subclass, we aren't biased"
    That would be an amazing move.
    "See, just 1 subclass for Wizard." But they fail to mention that 1 subclass is effectively.. like.. 10.
    I'm not fully sure how many Cleric Domains there are right now.
    I think 7 in the PHB, 1 in the DMG, and 2 or 3 in XGtE.
    Last edited by DarkKnightJin; 2017-10-09 at 08:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    That would be an amazing move.
    "See, just 1 subclass for Wizard." But they fail to mention that 1 subclass is effectively.. like.. 10.
    I'm not fully sure how many Cleric Domains there are right now.
    I think 7 in the PHB, 1 in the DMG, and 2 or 3 in XGtE.
    Oh man I forgot to think about the ones that would be in the same book.... oh WoTC you clever dogs

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh man I forgot to think about the ones that would be in the same book.... oh WoTC you clever dogs
    At least 11. Seven in phb, Arcana in scag, Death in DMG and Forge plus 1 (Grave?) In xgte.
    Part-time DM, part-time player in 5e. I aim to be reasonable.
    Homebrews on the stove (5e):

Wizard School: Black Magic
    Druid Circle of the Many
    Druid Circle of the Silver Moon
    Bard College of the Chord

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Arcana is likely reprinted, allowing a Theurge access to all Domains in AL bar Death.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Great, now you're making me hope they won't put the Theurge in.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Looks like my prediction for today was right. Divine Soul Sorcerer confirmed

https://youtu.be/OhWa-U0a6-g
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Great, now you're making me hope they won't put the Theurge in.
    I both want the Theurge and don’t.

Chain Lightning and Tempest Channel Divinity shouldn’t mix. At all. They weren’t meant to be used together, at least not without investment like MCing.

Here’s the thing with Theurge: Out of the box, without having to do anything, it’s pretty much the most powerful spellcaster there is.

Now, we can all build some specific builds to be on par or even surpass it; but those builds almost always require sacrifice and investment. Feats, certain races, MC builds that don’t come together until a certain point, etc.

The issue I have with the Theurge is twofold:

One: It’s immediately the best and strongest caster without any investment

Two: It gets Cleric capstones before the Cleric. In absolutely no way is that acceptable.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Divine Soul Sorcerer notes https://youtu.be/OhWa-U0a6-g

-Changed from Favored Soul to Divine Soul since there was a preconceived notion of what a Favored Soul was from the 3.5 class. They wanted to move away from that notion, so the name change helps with that.
    -Biggest change - you pick what type of divine figure your magic comes from
    -Cure wounds attached to good divine figure. There is also law and chaos that gives different spell sets
    -MM sees it as the prophesied one, this is the god's chosen one (or possibly one of the parents is a deity)

Lots of other flavor information
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2017-10-09 at 09:58 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Well, I think the Xanathar's will do a lot to make the Sorcerer more attractive in the eyes of those who were dissatisfied with the class.

11. - Top - End - #281

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Well, I think the Xanathar's will do a lot to make the Sorcerer more attractive in the eyes of those who were dissatisfied with the class.
    I think I'll still be making Sorlocks. But this time I can be Shadow

12. - Top - End - #282

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post

-Changed from Favored Soul to Divine Soul since there was a preconceived notion of what a Favored Soul was from the 3.5 class. They wanted to move away from that notion, so the name change helps with that.
    -Cure wounds attached to good divine figure. There is also law and chaos that gives different spell sets
    -MM sees it as the prophesied one, this is the god's chosen one (or possibly one of the parents is a deity)

He makes it sound like the early versions of favored soul with divine domains. I just hope they kept the ability to choose either sorcerer or cleric spells. I love the larger spell list the most recent UA version of the FS (which is the one I use on my character).

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

I think I'll still be making Sorlocks. But this time I can be Shadow
    Shadow Sorc 18 / Fiend Warlock 2

EB, Hex, and those very thematic "Summon Demon" spells from That Old Black Magic UA article.

Oh, make it a Dragonborn Revenant just to be the only Dragonborn with Darkvision and Necrotic Breath.

14. - Top - End - #284

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Shadow Sorc 18 / Fiend Warlock 2

EB, Hex, and those very thematic "Summon Demon" spells from That Old Black Magic UA article.

Oh, make it a Dragonborn Revenant just to be the only Dragonborn with Darkvision and Necrotic Breath.
    Totally first character I make after Markus Velafi

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post

Oh, cool! Cure Wounds doesn't have to be mandatory, that was one thing that bothered me about the subclass.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

JC confirmed that there are 27 new subclasses in XGtE, if you wanted to add a counter on the first post.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...53691472699392

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

27 new subclasses. One for Wizard, three for fighter, three for three other classes and two for everyone else (unless someone gets four - I doubt that).

I'm pretty sure Sorceror have three. What would the other two classes be that get three subclasses? I don't remember that many good options to be honest.

18. - Top - End - #288

NecromancerGuy

If we've seen everything either through SCAG or UA here are my predictions

Barbarian: Storm Herald, Ancestral Guardian
    Bard: Glamour, Swords, Satire
    Cleric: Forge, Grave,
    Druid: Dreams, Twilight
    Fighter: Cavalier, Samurai, Arcane Archer
    Monk: Kensai, Drunken Master, Tranquility
    Paladin: Conquest, Redemption
    Ranger: Horizon Walker, Deep Stalker, Monster slayer
    Rogue: inquisitive, Scout
    Sorcerer: Shadow, Divine
    Warlock: Celestial, Hexblade
    Wizard: ???Theurge ???
    Last edited by Mortis_Elrod; 2017-10-10 at 07:37 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The SCAG isn't included in the 27 new subclasses. They're all from UA (previously confirmed via JC) and the SCAG subclasses are in addition to that.

20. - Top - End - #290

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    The SCAG isn't included in the 27 new subclasses. They're all from UA (previously confirmed via JC) and the SCAG subclasses are in addition to that.
    Let me go edit my predictions then

21. - Top - End - #291

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    So to clarify, we might expect to see 27 new sub-classes that haven't made book form, outside of UA?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Degwerks View Post
    So to clarify, we might expect to see 27 new sub-classes that haven't made book form, outside of UA?
    That is correct.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

23. - Top - End - #293

NecromancerGuy

Yeah I still like my predictions and I hope I'm right I liked all the subclasses I predicted

24. - Top - End - #294

PirateGuy

Here's to hoping that they make a Swordmage out of either a fighter, bard, or rogue. Just a dream, I know, but I can hope.

25. - Top - End - #295

GnomeWizardGuy

I expect there will be another sorcerer (phoenix?) but now if they are doing a planes book next I wonder if they will hold phoenix, stone, sea and SCAG's storm for that one.

That would let their 4 SCAG holdovers be Arcana, swashbuckler, bladesinger and one other, like Mastermind or Oath of Crown.

Mortis as for your picks they all seem reasonable, though I liked Whispers better than Satire and I think you wrote Harvest for Druid when you meant Shepherd?
    Part-time DM, part-time player in 5e. I aim to be reasonable.
    Homebrews on the stove (5e):

Wizard School: Black Magic
    Druid Circle of the Many
    Druid Circle of the Silver Moon
    Bard College of the Chord

26. - Top - End - #296

NecromancerGuy

Thumbs down Re: Xanathar's Guide - Official Videos describing Confirmed Subclasses

Quote Originally Posted by Beechgnome View Post
    I expect there will be another sorcerer (phoenix?) but now if they are doing a planes book next I wonder if they will hold phoenix, stone, sea and SCAG's storm for that one.

That would let their 4 SCAG holdovers be Arcana, swashbuckler, bladesinger and one other, like Mastermind or Oath of Crown.

Mortis as for your picks they all seem reasonable, though I liked Whispers better than Satire and I think you wrote Harvest for Druid when you meant Shepherd?
    Shepherd is the one with summons right? Harvest was from the Druid UA that gave necrotic damage to spells and such.

I like both whispers and satire but I Love tumble. Best bonus action right there.

Edit: I mean twilight not harvest. Harvest was the name of the ability
    Last edited by Mortis_Elrod; 2017-10-10 at 07:36 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Clearly the Sorcerer is getting five new subclasses. Storm sorcerer will also be one of the four reprints. So the sorcerer will have Storm, Sea, Stone, Shadow, Soul, and Sunbird in the book. In fact, the reprints will be Swashbuckler, Storm Sorcery, Sun Soul, and something else with an S. Singer something, perhaps.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm actually a bit nervous about the order that they're doing these in. Why show us 3 fighter subclasses before even a single Barbarian or Wizard? Why not spread the love across the classes, instead of showing us multiples from certain classes and none from others so far?

29. - Top - End - #299

NecromancerGuy

Kinda hope they show monk or warlock today

30. - Top - End - #300
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Remember they said no FR specific subclasses from SCAG getting reprints. Leaves us with: Arcana Cleric, Crown Paladin, Swashbuckler and Mastermind Rogue, Storm Sorcerer, and Undying Warlock