New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Xanathar's Guide - Official Videos describing Confirmed Subclasses

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    There's a lot of subclasses left. Besides if Hexblade isn't in the final, there may be a revolt and people marching on WotC headquarters with Pitchforks and Torches
    I actually didn't like the hexblade. Felt like a patch up for the poor work made on the pact of the blade. I'd rather get a reworked blade pact that actually works well with all warlock patrons rather then having a specific patron to make the pact effective.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Sounds like the re-worked Favoured Soul. I didn't like the "here, you get Cure Wounds and a healing feature" of Favoured Soul, so I'm hoping this handles it better. Also, two subclasses working in such a similar way would just be lame.

Though, that sounds like it could be identical to the last UA - Cure Wounds was part of the expanded spell list, and they got a dice version of Lay on Hands. That's not too bad I guess, but I am kind of sick of getting "it's a light themed subclass, so here, get used to healing".
    That is actually pretty astute interpretation! I didn't even think about that! But really, Favored Soul as a Warlock makes much more sense than as a Sorcerer. As a bonus, Warlock chassis already has the built-in possibility to get Extra Attack and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all, if along with the Celestial Patron there'd be a radiant version of Lifedrinker invocation.

Although, at least regarding the expanded spell list, you don't have to pick any of those spells if you don't want to. I have a feeling, though, that the dice pool version of lay on hands might not be in the book, except maybe as an invocation for the celestial patron.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-10-05 at 07:20 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    I actually didn't like the hexblade. Felt like a patch up for the poor work made on the pact of the blade. I'd rather get a reworked blade pact that actually works well with all warlock patrons rather then having a specific patron to make the pact effective.
    I understand what you mean, and would submit that with some invocation and pact tweaks, you could make any patron work more smoothly with pact of the blade

But

As is, hexblade is fun, powerful, versatile enough, can have a number of different sensible build styles and has play styles other than just “use eldritch blast on target” more often than many warlocks It is very close to a bird in hand. (I hope)

If blade pact, or even warlock in general sees revisions later then more power to us, but in the meantime let’s enjoy what we have... ( or what I hope we get)
    Last edited by Spiritchaser; 2017-10-05 at 08:08 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Sounds like the re-worked Favoured Soul. I didn't like the "here, you get Cure Wounds and a healing feature" of Favoured Soul, so I'm hoping this handles it better. Also, two subclasses working in such a similar way would just be lame.

Though, that sounds like it could be identical to the last UA - Cure Wounds was part of the expanded spell list, and they got a dice version of Lay on Hands. That's not too bad I guess, but I am kind of sick of getting "it's a light themed subclass, so here, get used to healing".
    Well i do like the options of more healers (not that many option for good ones) but you could also take the invocation that let all your heals be max and go tank :P

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Celestial Warlock confirmed.

6. - Top - End - #156

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritchaser View Post
    I understand what you mean, and would submit that with some invocation and pact tweaks, you could make any patron work more smoothly with pact of the blade

But

As is, hexblade is fun, powerful, versatile enough, can have a number of different sensible build styles and has play styles other than just “use eldritch blast on target” more often than many warlocks It is very close to a bird in hand. (I hope)

If blade pact, or even warlock in general sees revisions later then more power to us, but in the meantime let’s enjoy what we have... ( or what I hope we get)
    I like being a hexblade/favored soul multiclass. a wider list of spells on the sorc side and better defense as well as melee options on the warlock side so I can mix things up as well as have more survivability.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

It doesn't sound like the Celestial got changed much from what we saw.
    Sounds good to me, the class was pretty ready to roll except for the level 6 feature.
    Radiant Soul is piddly damage added a to big spell, doesn't enable anything to compete with eldritch blast and doesn't give really anything to someone that wants to go blade-pact.

As far as the desire to see Hexblade. That seems to mostly come from it being broken?
    Like, it was really bad. I mean, the idea is cool and I'd love to see a hexblade but the implementation we saw was immense powercreep on how strong Warlock Patron features are and on official full-caster+melee archetypes. That's before you even get to how ridiculous a single-level multiclass dip is for any cha caster.
    The best part of it all is that, even though everyone's like "this is a bladepact fix", it's the best eldritch blaster of all of them thanks to the Hexblade curse.
    The quick fix would be to strip the Cha-to-hit and make the curse scale on warlock levels somehow, rather than proficiency bonus. Weapon/Armor profs and the curse is still a VERY strong first level feature for what is a full caster.

Besides the hexblade...the idea that bladelock needs more than just a couple small tweaks is mistaken given how the rest of the classes are designed and balanced. Improved pact weapon does a lot. They should probably also add something to bump damage at higher levels.
    But, if they want some kind of extensive "fix" for bladelock, they can easily add invocations that are more powerful and basically supersede what we have. That works for all patrons. For example, have a new invocation be Thirsting Blade, except better
    Last edited by rbstr; 2017-10-05 at 10:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

MonkGuy

Hmm, what were the other possible Warlock subclasses for the final (minimally) slot? Hexblade, Raven Queen... and thats it? (Well, it might be a reprint of the Undying from SCAG, that would suck).

I'm just hoping they reprint booming blade! That way, I get to play the mobile Raven Queen/Vengeance Paladin retribution-pal lock.

prototype00

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by prototype00 View Post
    Hmm, what were the other possible Warlock subclasses for the final (minimally) slot? Hexblade, Raven Queen... and thats it? (Well, it might be a reprint of the Undying from SCAG, that would suck).

I'm just hoping they reprint booming blade! That way, I get to play the mobile Raven Queen/Vengeance Paladin retribution-pal lock.

prototype00
    Honestly, I think that they're probably going to have the Raven Queen over the Hexblade. However, I am hoping that we will get to see some of the Hexblade features as invocations that you can take, which will hopefully help out Bladelocks a bit.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aett_Thorn View Post
    Honestly, I think that they're probably going to have the Raven Queen over the Hexblade. However, I am hoping that we will get to see some of the Hexblade features as invocations that you can take, which will hopefully help out Bladelocks a bit.
    Having Pact of the Blade automatically grant Medium Armor and (possibly) Shield proficiency would go a LONG way toward making Bladelocks right.

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Having Pact of the Blade automatically grant Medium Armor and (possibly) Shield proficiency would go a LONG way toward making Bladelocks right.
    There also needs to be an advantage to being a bladelock, a reason you'd actually want to be in melee. You're taking considerably more risk than you are blasting from range.

Hexblade can have that with the right invocations. Opportunistic "smites" on short rest recharge aren't for everyone, but they're valid.

Now: There are a lot of other ways you could incentivize melee range for blade pact warlocks. This could be in the blade pact itself, or with invocations, or with base rule changes but hexblade was the thing that actually

Gave the warlock a good reason to be in melee
    Gave the warlock the tools to be there.

You could even argue that the hexblade curse bonus damage should only have applied at melee range, or say, within 15' if you want to compromise.

I wouldn't argue.

I just hope we get it.

12. - Top - End - #162

That would make me a happy camper. And it'd make sense for the pact boon, too.

Possibly an Invocation for Blade that lets you use Cha instead of Str or Dex, and we'll be happy as a clam.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    That would make me a happy camper. And it'd make sense for the pact boon, too.

Possibly an Invocation for Blade that lets you use Cha instead of Str or Dex, and we'll be happy as a clam.
    Pretty sure that was the whole reason many people liked Hexblade (the CHA instead of STR or DEX) -can't say i'm not one of those-, so yeah...

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rbstr View Post
    It doesn't sound like the Celestial got changed much from what we saw.
    Besides the hexblade...the idea that bladelock needs more than just a couple small tweaks is mistaken given how the rest of the classes are designed and balanced. Improved pact weapon does a lot. They should probably also add something to bump damage at higher levels.
    But, if they want some kind of extensive "fix" for bladelock, they can easily add invocations that are more powerful and basically supersede what we have. That works for all patrons. For example, have a new invocation be Thirsting Blade, except better
    I'm playing a Fey Patron Blade Lock in a campaign and its a lot of fun but we did have some homebrews.
    For thirsting blade we made a level 6 version that tacked on War Magic. So I could cast a cantrip or spell and make a bonus action swing. At first we limited it to just cantrips but then the DM expanded it to spells as warlocks don't have that many slots in the first place.

We also added an invocation for "Spectral Armor" that works just like the sword. It's prerequisites are level 4 and pact of the blade.

And honestly while the war magic may be a bit strong. I've had a ton of fun and haven't felt like I've overshadowed the table. Maybe that's because I'm using a suboptimal strategy; which is Armor of Agythy's and blade ward. Add on Heavy Armor Mastery and bam! you got yourself a thorns build.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Fellow playgrounder DracoKnight and myself realized something:

Any archetype that received a bonus spell list in UA... That bonus spell list is likely bull****.

XGtE has confirmed new spells.

None of these new archetypes are going to take advantage of those?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Fellow playgrounder DracoKnight and myself realized something:

Any archetype that received a bonus spell list in UA... That bonus spell list is likely bull****.

XGtE has confirmed new spells.

None of these new archetypes are going to take advantage of those?
    Maybe maybe not. It's hard to speculate on that end right now. My prediction is probably closer to half and half. Half new half old.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Awww yeah Celestial Lock love it!
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #168

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by prototype00 View Post

prototype00
    There was also The Seeker pact from the Faithful UA. I didn't like the star chain pact, but the rest of it was different enough from the other Warlocks. If it doesn't make it, I'd understand (I think Hexblade in some form fills a better need) but I'll still keep running my 7th level Seeklock/4th level Favored Soul Dr. Strange clone.
    Part-time DM, part-time player in 5e. I aim to be reasonable.
    Homebrews on the stove (5e):

Wizard School: Black Magic
    Druid Circle of the Many
    Druid Circle of the Silver Moon
    Bard College of the Chord

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    There's a lot of subclasses left. Besides if Hexblade isn't in the final, there may be a revolt and people marching on WotC headquarters with Pitchforks and Torches
    Hey, while you're there you can skewer whoever decided it would be okay to drop cardstock and print quality for MTG cards while simultaneously raising prices
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    Hey, while you're there you can skewer whoever decided it would be okay to drop cardstock and print quality for MTG cards while simultaneously raising prices
    You’d have to go to the Hasbro offices for that one.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

My apologies everyone, for this scene immediately popped into my head while I was watching the Celestial Warlock Video.

"We tried our best to raise our daughter right. My wife is a proper paladin, and I am a cleric, and we both thought that raising our daughter away from the villainous clutches of the wretched sinful city sprawl would be safest for her. Then... Well..."

"Mommy! Daddy! Look! I can shoot rainbows from my hands now!"

"Now she's a warlock! Oh where did we go wrong?!"

"Our daughter found a unicorn. No parent wants to hear how their child made a warlock pact, but here we are. All we can do now is try to help her down the right path."

"Boom boom! Evil sneaky goblins aren't going to be curdling any milk tonight!"

"No adventuring until your eighteen young lady!"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You’d have to go to the Hasbro offices for that one.

eh, even so, it's just a short 934 hour walk
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    One does not simply walk to Mordor...

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by RazDelacroix View Post
    My apologies everyone, for this scene immediately popped into my head while I was watching the Celestial Warlock Video.

"We tried our best to raise our daughter right. My wife is a proper paladin, and I am a cleric, and we both thought that raising our daughter away from the villainous clutches of the wretched sinful city sprawl would be safest for her. Then... Well..."

"Our daughter found a unicorn. No parent wants to hear how their child made a warlock pact, but here we are. All we can do now is try to help her down the right path."

See this is cute.

What popped into my head was a Protector/Scourge Aasimar's guide serving a dual purpose as the Pact Patron too for a Celestial Pact (alongside that came the thought of a Fallen Aasimar having a Fiend Pact)

25. - Top - End - #175

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by RazDelacroix View Post

Yay! Now tell us the one about the robot wizard who talks to empty barrels...

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temperjoke View Post
    What popped into my head was a Protector/Scourge Aasimar's guide serving a dual purpose as the Pact Patron too for a Celestial Pact (alongside that came the thought of a Fallen Aasimar having a Fiend Pact)
    Yeah, this is perfect if you want your race to also be your class, so to speak. You do not have to say that you made a pact, just that you are particularly attentive to the teachings of your angelic guide and how they resonate with your own celestial heritage.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Yeah, this is perfect if you want your race to also be your class, so to speak. You do not have to say that you made a pact, just that you are particularly attentive to the teachings of your angelic guide and how they resonate with your own celestial heritage.
    Then multiclass with Favored Soul (just your aasimar powers growing stronger)

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So what class do we think that we're going to be getting a sublcass description of today?

So far, we haven't gotten Barbarian, Wizard, Paladin, or Monk. I am betting that we see Barbarian today.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

I’m trying to think of how, and how well, they could do a video about something exciting and new, like spells or Feats, without actually revealing them. They could just rattle off a list of spell names, and the astute with knowledge of previous editions would pick up on some, but that’s really about it, I think. Huh.

That said, I agree, I think the Barbarian is in play. They’ve revealed two fighters, one Bard, one Cleric, one Sorc, one Rogue, one Ranger, one Druid, one Warlock, right?

Barbarian is very much in play.

Is it weird if I’m really hoping for a totally out of left field Monk archetype that they haven’t spoken of at all? Like out of left field, “Here’s the Dark Moon Monk!” I just wasn’t impressed at all with any of the UA Monk archetypes, except Tranquility, which simply isn’t my style.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Then multiclass with Favored Soul (just your aasimar powers growing stronger)
    Or with paladin (empasizing your link to cosmic Good). A protector aasimar would likely go Devotion or Ancients, while a scourge aasimar would go Vengeance. Or you could be twice fallen.