New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Help with MTG Ramp Deck

Hey guys,

I'm a noob. I like MTG, but lack a ton of money and time, so I play Arena MTG(Currently beta). I like Ramp. I am pretty bad at creating Ramps. But I like to make them. My question is: How would I make my deck less sucky, using Ixalan only? I love Dinos and Enrage mechanic, but I assume, I'm quite off regarding optimal build. Any advice? Even advice "add X lands" or "kick out X and Y and insert two 3R drops", would be great.

4x Thunderherd Migration
    3xShake the Foundations
    2x Hour of Devastation

1x The Immortal Sun

4x Drover of the Mighty
    4x Ranging Raptors
    4x Forunner of The Empire
    2x Needletooth Raptor
    2x Ripjaw Raptor
    2x Raging Swordtooth
    4x Carnage Tyrant
    2x Polyraptor
    2x Ghalta primal Hunger

7x Mountain
    9x Forest
    2x Arch of Orazca
    4x Evolving Wilds

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Help with MTG Ramp Deck

Quote Originally Posted by Pinjata View Post
    4x Thunderherd Migration
    -3xShake the Foundations
    +4x Commune with Dinosaurs
    -2x Hour of Devastation
    +4x Savage Stomp
    +4x Lightning Strike

-1x The Immortal Sun

4x Drover of the Mighty
    4x Ranging Raptors
    -4x Forunner of The Empire
    -2x Needletooth Raptor
    2+2x Ripjaw Raptor
    -2x Raging Swordtooth
    -4x Carnage Tyrant
    +4x Regisaur Alpha
    -2x Polyraptor
    2x Ghalta primal Hunger

7-1x Mountain
    9-1x Forest
    2x Arch of Orazca
    -4x Evolving Wilds
    +4x Rootbound Crag
    +4x Timber Gorge
    All right, here's what I'd recommend. I've tried to keep it Ixalan-only. Most everything is 4x for consistency's sake. My rationale for each change:

Shake the Foundations: It's a win-more card. 1 damage isn't gonna be enough to kill anything dangerous, and if you have enough dinos that just triggering Enrage is worth it, you're doing well already.
    Commune with Dinosaurs: I'm surprised you didn't have it. Digs for your winning conditions, can even grab a land in a pinch.
    Hour of Devastation: Decent sweeper, but kills your stuff too. By turn 5 your board should be better than the opponent's.
    Savage Stomp: Also surprised you didn't have it. Great removal for the deck.
    Lightning Strike: Good card for everyone. You need cheap removals to stay alive in the first turns, though I could see replacing it with something more fitting.
    Immortal Sun: It's a good card and I could see cutting, say, a Ghalta for it. Its problem is that it sets you up for a long game, while slamming a big dino would quite often win you the game on the spot.

Forerunner of The Empire: Not necessarily bad, but there are better things you could do with its slot. A lousy body and fixing the top of your library isn't always worth a card.
    Needletooth Raptor: It's a removal with a negligible body that the opponent sees coming and can deal with at his leisure. Again, you could do better things with the slot.
    Ripjaw Raptor: Probably the best enrage trigger, and a body big enough that it's threatening on its own. At worst it's gonna draw a removal and protect your more expensive stuff. At best, it'll either stall the board or win you the game on its own.
    Raging Swordtooth: Shake the Foundations with a body. There are very few situations where I wouldn't prefer it to be some other big dino.
    Carnage Tyrant: Good card, but only against control decks. You're better off with something more universally good, unless you encounter that many control decks in your games. If this were paper or MTGO, I'd recommend you put it in the sideboard.
    Regisaur Alpha: Two bodies makes it difficult to remove, and both are big enough to be at least mildly threatening. Its ability is hilarious with Ghalta.
    Verdant Sun's Avatar: Too expensive for what it does. By the time you reach 7 mana vs aggro, you're either dead or stable. Even its body is disappointing for the cost.
    Burning Sun's Avatar: ETB removal on a body that'll outclass anything on the other side of the board. I could even see playing more of these than 2.
    Polyraptor: Far too expensive, and can be dealt with very easily.

Land count: The average deck wants 24. 22-23 are for aggro decks that want 2-3 lands in play and few more. A ramp decks needs lots and can even play 25-26 if there are lands in the format that do something useful other than giving mana. Unfortunately the good old days of Valakhut and Kessig are long gone, so you'll have to make do. You could maybe use 25 if you can find something in the deck to cut. Especially if you can use that green memorial for dominaria. Evolving wilds is worse than Timber Gorge in your deck. You don't care about basics, you care about having both colors available.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Savage Stomp: Also surprised you didn't have it. Great removal for the deck.
    YES. Green doesn't really get any "direct damage", so creature punchy is a good compensation. The other benefit? Enrage. You can trigger an enrage mechanic with it. If your opponent has no creatures out? Use it on your own - just don't let them kill each other, and they can punch away all day

Ripjaw Raptor: Probably the best enrage trigger, and a body big enough that it's threatening on its own. At worst it's gonna draw a removal and protect your more expensive stuff. At best, it'll either stall the board or win you the game on its own.
    It's also outside the range for cheap direct damage - if your opponent wants to burn it out, they have to invest heavily. And most common-level direct damage will only hit for around 3 at most, so it's going to stand a good chance in combat, even if they chump block and then blast it.

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote to throw in some Thrashing Brontodons. In lieu of sideboarding, maindeckable enchantment/artifact removal can definitely save you sometimes, and since it's attached to a respectable threat you don't lose much in exchange.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.