New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin I don't understand [possible spoilers] ...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... literally. Which is to say, I don't get why people feel the need or urge to put [possible spoilers] in a thread title that obviously indicates that some speculation about the story is the topic unless it's just a desire to look cool or drum up interest (guilty!), or it's some sort of self-imposed censorship. We're all here to talk about the comic, of course we're going to be guessing at what comes next. It'd be awfully boring if all we were doing was sitting around going, "Gee, I sure do like this comic!" - "Yeah, me too!" - "I do too!" - "Ooooh, I liked this one but I really liked the one before it!" - "Yeah, and I can't wait for the next one! I have no idea what's going to happen AT ALL because I haven't been following the excellent story or paying attention to the use of any plot devices like foreshadowing."

If I'm way off on my guesses or there's something at work here I don't understand, I'd love some enlightenment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: I don't understand [possible spoilers] ...

Rich Burlew has asked speculation to be spoilered on the OotS forums because, if someone guesses correctly what's going to happen, he feels an urge to change it, and he doesn't want that. While Rob and Jamie have never placed the same restriction here, I guess some people just keep their OotS mindset when posting on this forum.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Ah, well that makes perfect sense now. Thank you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Though chances are that people don't realize that, and just see other people putting [spoiler] there, and copy them because it's the 'in' thing to do.

'Course, it's funny when they put spoiler tags around their post after putting [spoiler] in the title.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Rich Burlew has asked speculation to be spoilered on the OotS forums because, if someone guesses correctly what's going to happen, he feels an urge to change it, and he doesn't want that. While Rob and Jamie have never placed the same restriction here, I guess some people just keep their OotS mindset when posting on this forum.
    Actually, IIRC Rob specifically said he doesn't care.

However, it's easier for people who post in both forums to just continue following the same rule.