New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Runequest 6 / Mythras Opposed rolls and Difficulty Penalties: Please Help

In RQ6/Mythras, there are certain mechanics that give boosts and penalties to skill grades.

I know the way these mechanics work on Differential Rolls (at least I think I do). If a success is rated at Hard difficulty, and your skill is boosted by 1 degree, you can roll a Standard and still succeed.

The question is, when something like Acrobatics or Stealth gets a skill blessed by Animism or boosted by Mysticism, does it gain these bonuses on an Opposed roll? and if so, does it work as follows....

Opponent rolls Combat Style at Formidable difficulty (40 on a skill of 100 for example)
    You roll Acrobatics to dodge and get a Hard difficulty (60 on a skill of 100).

If your Acrobatics is blessed/boosted for a 1 difficulty easier on Acrobatics rolls, do you win because you have a Hard of 60 vs their "Hard" (Formidable) of 40?

Same idea with difficulty penalties on things like perception and other skills. Does it work the same in reverse? (enemy rolls hard, you roll formidable, you lose cause your formidable gets bumped down to a hard in which their hard is higher than your hard)

If any clarification is needed, please let me know. This is something I have been trying to figure out for a long time.
    Thank you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Runequest 6 / Mythras Opposed rolls and Difficulty Penalties: Please Help

No matter what modification is applied to any skill in an opposed roll the level of success is what’s important. So any critical beats any success beats any failure beats any fumble. Only if the level of success is the same does the high roll win, and if the roll is the same then the higher (modified)skill wins.
    Current rpg games:
    Stars Wars (GM)
    Symbaroum Nero, changeling wizard
    Elite:Dangerous, Kaldair McGee

Current games:
    Clash of Clans
    Seaport
    DomniNations