New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Get Fit: I want a folding vegetable.

Awesome you guys, I'm glad that this thread is growing! I've put my responses to you folks in spoilers to save length and at the end I'll talk about how my fitness stuff is going.

Spoiler: Response to TVTyrant's Awesome Hiking Pics
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    New pictures. The left is me at the end of the hike, the right is me at the beginning. Taken about 10 ft. and five hours apart so I linked them together (the perspective made it hard to sync them perfectly).

For other Oregonians, this is at Firelane 15 (that is the southern tip of Sauvie's Island in the background).
    Awesome, that looks like a really awesome hike, how far was it? (Not that distance is the best measure if that's hilly terrain and it looks like it might be). And at least now that you've had that idea you can sync pictures better next hike! That is a really cool idea.

Spoiler: Response to Silvarias' Stuff in Detail
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    I want to be happy looking in the mirror.
    In more detail. I've run some numbers, and I can get to where I want to be in a year, but it'll be an aggressive year as far as cuts and gym is concerned. I want to refrain from spitting any numbered goals out, simply because the consensus seems to be that when you share the specifics of a goal your brain releases dopamine as a way of rewarding that you actually have a goal set. So to avoid prematurely rewarding myself, I will instead only be discussing how far I've come, not how much farther I have to go.

Some other more specific goals however.
    • Cut Soda out of my diet
    • Cut fried food out of my diet
    • Don't munch while at work (Captain D's)
    • Workout at home when I can't get to the gym
    • Increase my protein intake
    Those all definitely sound doable and admirable once you get them.

Generic Nutrition question. I've heard you're supposed to eat your weight in grams of protein, or your goal weight if you are grossly over weight. How is that even possible. I've run the numbers, for me that would be between 1 and 1.5 lbs of meat a day, and that's using a protein shake for breakfast. That seems obscene.
    Usually the general "rule of thumb" is 1 g per lb of bodyweight at goal weight. From what I've heard for most people, although there have been some studies that show that this is excessive. If you aren't trying to build a whole crapton of muscle you might not have to worry so much about it, even if you're gorging on protein you're going to lose some muscle, and that's just part of losing weight, I mean you can strive to mitigate that, but you won't. You just will lose some amount of muscle when you lose drastic amounts of weight.

1 to 1.5 lbs of meat sounds about right to me, right now my protein is at something like 12 eggs in the morning, 1-2 lbs of meat with lunch and several more lbs of meat in the evening. And that's in addition to the protein I get from eating whole wheat noodles and things like that. I mean it's not uncommon for me to finish out the day with like 400g plus of protein without really making any significant effort on that front. Although I do have a lot more calories most likely.

Furthermore, I really just need to go to the store and get some rope so I can do rows at home. I tried tying a bunch of old shirts together, but my fat-ass pulled the knot free and cracked my head. I've been leery to try ever since. I also hate that I can't do 10 push-ups in a row either.
    Best thing to do for something like rows at home is to get like a bucket or a bag full of stuff, like a sack. Then you can do bent over rows with the sack without having to worry about ropes or securing things or pulling arm over arm or anything.

I already do. I'm still transitioning into my goals. (As in, they exist, but I'm not rigid about them).

Another issue I have is just not being hungry enough. Like, if I focus on just the protien, suddenly it's the end of the day and I've only had 1500 calories and I'm not hungry. I don't like force feeding myself because it reminds me too much of the stress eating or bored eating I used to/still do. So I'll finish the day with about 100g of protein and only 1200-1500 calories. I'm not starving myself. (By that I mean I'm not getting hunger signals from my body).
    That's really odd, if you're used to a diet where you're maintaining a fairly high weight, you should be VERY hungry having consumed that few calories. Like you might want to get your hormones levels checked, or at the very least bring that sort of thing up with a doctor, that sounds like there might be medical issues or something going on with that. I mean you might want to try a more extreme calorie reduction for a few days and see what happens, it's also possible that your 1500 calories is undercounting or missing all those fries you snuck at work. But if your numbers are accurate I would be concerned about some kind of medical condition. I mean let's take it this way. I eat like a strongman, to gain a lot of weight. I weigh about 256 lbs (116 kg roughly) if I eat less than 3k calories I start getting headaches and shakes and stuff, so that low calories and not even feeling hunger is a sign of some kind of problem.

It's very odd, to say the least. There was one day where I decided to just cut fat out for the day and see what happened. I finished the day with 800 calories by only eating when hungry and only eating a mix of carbs and protein. No heavy fat foods. I ended up swinging by McDonalds for a McChicken
    just to bump me over the 1500 minimum male calorie requirements.
    Well it's important to remember a few things, 1500 is a minimum averaged over a few days. Like you could eat nothing at all for a couple of days and it wouldn't hurt I imagine. And you could probably eat as low as 900 depending on your composition and stuff, if you have a lot of fat reserves your body doesn't need as many calories to prevent starvation cause it'll consume of the fat for that. I mean I wouldn't starve yourself, but don't get too hung up on if you're slightly lower than you ought to be if you aren't getting serious hunger pangs (provided you've checked with a doc and it's not something medical you need to worry about). Also milk or diary is better for calories.

Spoiler: Response to Iruka
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I set three goals for this year:

1. Participate in three running events
    One will be the 12 km campus run at my university; the second possibly a local run involving a lot of hills and flights of stairs; the third is still undecided, maybe some kind of obstacle run/mud run thing.

2. Finally complete the 100 push-ups challenge
    Third try, got to about 50 maximum before something interrupted my training and then I could not find the motivation to regain lost ground.

3. Lose weight until I am at 79 kg average
    Put on some weight during the holidays, before that I was between 79 kg and 80 kg and pretty happy with that; getting lower than that would possibly put me in the best shape I had since I quit competetive swimming but would need more attention and willpower that I can currently spare.

The first two goals need 2-3 exercise units per week which should be doable even when time is a little tight, the third goal will follow from that once i have finished the last leftover sweets from christmas.
    Awesome goals! As far as the pushups go, the way I've done the most pushups is by doing max sets whenever I had a break throughout the day.
    I don't know if the 100 pushup challenge is doing 100 in a sitting or 100 /day or what it is. But if it's 100 in a setting then doing repeated max sets is the way to go, and you don't really need to take days off or anything. And this is from somebody who has done very well in pushup contests like in the military and stuff.

Anyways, my goals are moving apace, I'm not at around 255 lbs after eating, probably 250 fasted, which is bringing me much closer to my goal of being at the top of my weight class, which is 265 (for most of the competitions I'm in) and 275 for the last one (different federations and stuff). I didn't do any deadlifting this week so far, but I did some overhead work and it was definitely awesome. The heaviest set of overhead presses since I've broken my arm. I didn't use a lot of leg drive to get myself more used to strict pressing, which isn't necessary but it it's fun. I do need to put another 30 or so lbs on my overhead before may, although that includes leg drive, so we'll see how easy that is. I imagine not so bad.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

I'll get tired and headaches on a cut, but only on days with sub 100 carbs or super low fat. My stomache just doesn't rubble.

I'll get a gurgle at the top but that's always been a need more water for me. I'll drink some water and it goes away.

The reason I'm so heavy is I'm a compulsive as well as stress eater. If food is in front of me I feel compelled to eat it even when not hungry. It's almost impossible for me to not clean my plate. I also eat junk when stressed which is only moderately better than smoking.
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Awesome you guys, I'm glad that this thread is growing! I've put my responses to you folks in spoilers to save length and at the end I'll talk about how my fitness stuff is going.

Awesome, that looks like a really awesome hike, how far was it? (Not that distance is the best measure if that's hilly terrain and it looks like it might be). And at least now that you've had that idea you can sync pictures better next hike! That is a really cool idea.
    Actually pretty short, about five miles and 1000ft. elevation change but it basically dives straight down the hill to the river and then back up to the top again. Been about a month and a half since my last hike, endurance cut a bit.

Anyways, my goals are moving apace, I'm not at around 255 lbs after eating, probably 250 fasted, which is bringing me much closer to my goal of being at the top of my weight class, which is 265 (for most of the competitions I'm in) and 275 for the last one (different federations and stuff). I didn't do any deadlifting this week so far, but I did some overhead work and it was definitely awesome. The heaviest set of overhead presses since I've broken my arm. I didn't use a lot of leg drive to get myself more used to strict pressing, which isn't necessary but it it's fun. I do need to put another 30 or so lbs on my overhead before may, although that includes leg drive, so we'll see how easy that is. I imagine not so bad.
    Sounds like things are going well! So you are going to be 10lbs less then the maximum weight for the last competition?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Remember with the inclined run that training on flat ground insufficient preparation. You want to do stairs and inclined tracks to prepare your heart and lungs.
    It is pretty hilly around here, so I think I got that covered. I will keep an eye out for stairs that I could use for training.

1 to 1.5 lbs of meat sounds about right to me, right now my protein is at something like 12 eggs in the morning, 1-2 lbs of meat with lunch and several more lbs of meat in the evening. And that's in addition to the protein I get from eating whole wheat noodles and things like that. I mean it's not uncommon for me to finish out the day with like 400g plus of protein without really making any significant effort on that front. Although I do have a lot more calories most likely.

Spoiler: Response to Iruka
    Show

Awesome goals! As far as the pushups go, the way I've done the most pushups is by doing max sets whenever I had a break throughout the day.
    I don't know if the 100 pushup challenge is doing 100 in a sitting or 100 /day or what it is. But if it's 100 in a setting then doing repeated max sets is the way to go, and you don't really need to take days off or anything. And this is from somebody who has done very well in pushup contests like in the military and stuff.

Wait, did I read that correctly, you eat several kg of meat per day?

It's about 100 pushups in one set. Thanks for the tip, I will give your approach a try.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll get tired and headaches on a cut, but only on days with sub 100 carbs or super low fat. My stomache just doesn't rubble.

I'll get a gurgle at the top but that's always been a need more water for me. I'll drink some water and it goes away.

The reason I'm so heavy is I'm a compulsive as well as stress eater. If food is in front of me I feel compelled to eat it even when not hungry. It's almost impossible for me to not clean my plate. I also eat junk when stressed which is only moderately better than smoking.
    Yeah, I'd still be cautious about it, since that sort of thing seems odd to me, although it could just be. I mean if that's the key problem I think that getting the food out of in front of you would be the best solution.

Actually pretty short, about five miles and 1000ft. elevation change but it basically dives straight down the hill to the river and then back up to the top again. Been about a month and a half since my last hike, endurance cut a bit.
    Winter air probably doesn't help either, it winds up feeling a lot harder to do even simple things when it's cold, at least for me.

Sounds like things are going well! So you are going to be 10lbs less then the maximum weight for the last competition?
    Well in an ideal world my weight would be something like this, around 260 for the competition in May, then for the next competition I'd be right around 265, then for the third one (the 275) one I'd be up in the 270s. Then for the last one I'd cut back down to 260 for the last competition, then I'd figure out my offseason gains and stuff.

Wait, did I read that correctly, you eat several kg of meat per day?
    Well a couple, something like 2. Like 2-5 lbs, so a couple kg. Which is awesome.

It's about 100 pushups in one set. Thanks for the tip, I will give your approach a try.
    Yeah, that's definitely doable, I think my best was 135 in two minutes, which I got to by doing that.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well in an ideal world my weight would be something like this, around 260 for the competition in May, then for the next competition I'd be right around 265, then for the third one (the 275) one I'd be up in the 270s. Then for the last one I'd cut back down to 260 for the last competition, then I'd figure out my offseason gains and stuff.
    Martial arts level of weight changing there. I salute your will power, I don't think I could bulk, cut, bulk like that. The permacut is working because I never give myself more then I am allowed.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Martial arts level of weight changing there. I salute your will power, I don't think I could bulk, cut, bulk like that. The permacut is working because I never give myself more then I am allowed.
    Not quite that much, hopefully, it's mostly increasing with occasional stepping down. With any luck by the time it's next year I'll be in the weight classes where I won't have to cut anymore ever. I mean it isn't that far to superheavy and that's where I'd like to be in the end. Although that might not be the best thing for maintenance.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Not quite that much, hopefully, it's mostly increasing with occasional stepping down. With any luck by the time it's next year I'll be in the weight classes where I won't have to cut anymore ever. I mean it isn't that far to superheavy and that's where I'd like to be in the end. Although that might not be the best thing for maintenance.
    Is there an uncapped weight class? Because I figure as long as you stay one below that you are probably okay, but after that bloatmax becomes a thing.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there an uncapped weight class? Because I figure as long as you stay one below that you are probably okay, but after that bloatmax becomes a thing.
    Well typically with strongman stuff the goal is to get to the uncapped class. Which would be 275+ for one and 300+ for the other. (There's very rarely a 330 class, but usually it's folded into the one below it, so it's not typically a thing that comes up). I mean if you want to move the biggest weights you probably have to be in the heaviest class typically. Although given my height disadvantage I'll probably never be able to be as heavy as some of the bigger dudes on the circuit (some of them are like 400 lbs), but I could get probably to low mid threes. We'll see though. As long as I don't feel too terribly unhealthy and I can still move around decently I'm okay with it.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well typically with strongman stuff the goal is to get to the uncapped class. Which would be 275+ for one and 300+ for the other. (There's very rarely a 330 class, but usually it's folded into the one below it, so it's not typically a thing that comes up). I mean if you want to move the biggest weights you probably have to be in the heaviest class typically. Although given my height disadvantage I'll probably never be able to be as heavy as some of the bigger dudes on the circuit (some of them are like 400 lbs), but I could get probably to low mid threes. We'll see though. As long as I don't feel too terribly unhealthy and I can still move around decently I'm okay with it.
    Yeah, just looking at guys like Hafthor and Svickas. Those guys are impossibly huge.

On a side note, pissed my hiking partner cut out this weekend. I need my calorie loss dang it!

Has anyone else noticed they need less sleep as they get fitter? I thought working out a lot I would need more rest.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-01-14 at 02:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Leafy green vegetables contain less carbohydrates than root vegetables.
    Eating green vegetables supplied all the essential vitamins required for your body.
    Green vegetables contain starch which acts as a good supply of required carbohydrates for your body.
    You can lose weight by eating more green vegetables.
    Also your blood hemoglobin levels are maintained by eating them, as they contain iron that is essential for your body.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Pulled something in my shoulderblade at the gym last night. Not a good feeling.

13. - Top - End - #133

Hello all, today I made my (belated) new years resolution that I am going to lose weight and get fit. I just happened to see this thread after making that decision, so I guess Im jumping in here for support, while also seeing others working at it too. A bit of background to my situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    My whole life growing up, I was very active. Played a lot of different sport, had highly physical jobs, was always thin and fit. But when I say thin, I mean unhealthily so, I was clearly underweight. This is due to the fact that my mother (while being quite overweight herself, smothering huge plates of food in gravy each night) would go out of her way to make sure I couldn't eat, sometimes up to two days at a time. Not sure why that was, but it resulted in me being able to eat whatever I wanted when I did get the chance without really putting on much weight. This has basically translated into me having no idea how to have a healthy diet now that Im married and not living with my parents. Along with some sporting injuries in the past that had me stop playing all the sport I used to, I've put on a lot of weight, and with other health issues I stopped getting out so much.

Along with my anxiety issues, I don't like to get out much because Im incredibly self conscious. This isnt helped by the fact that my mother and sisters like to go out of there way to make me feel like I am far larger than I am (one sister bought me a dress for christmas that was multiple sizes too large for me, and made a big deal about how it would fit me perfectly, just to try to mask her insults as kindness). I am probably not what is considered 'fat', but definitely overweight, and I dont want to let myself keep going this way when it will only be harder the longer I wait.

Part of this is about my confidence and self image, but another big part is my health. I need to learn how to eat healthier in general, and I want to be able to feel better physically and mentally. I have actually been losing weight lately, but not through any conscious effort- I've been tending to skip meals because some medication Im on just makes me lose my appetite, and I know that starving myself isn't the way to get healthy either.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

This year's plan is to lose the 5 kilos i gained last year, and then 5-10kg more. Biggest thing for me to do right now is cut my sugar and fat intake by a mile - that alone should make me lose the 5kg I gained in the past year quick since it was the main reason I got those kilos in me.

There's about 4,5km to my campus, to which I am currently taking the bus in and walking home, but soon will be walking both ways. That'll mean 20-40km of just walking per week. I have no other plans besides that at this point. More random cycling when spring arrives and I get my chains fixed by my friend.

I know I could easily lose even more and so on, but my eating disorder is a limiting factor; 2015 I ended up starving myself for two weeks when I wasn't meeting my requirements as an example. My mental health comes first.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    Hello all, today I made my (belated) new years resolution that I am going to lose weight and get fit. I just happened to see this thread after making that decision, so I guess Im jumping in here for support, while also seeing others working at it too. A bit of background to my situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    My whole life growing up, I was very active. Played a lot of different sport, had highly physical jobs, was always thin and fit. But when I say thin, I mean unhealthily so, I was clearly underweight. This is due to the fact that my mother (while being quite overweight herself, smothering huge plates of food in gravy each night) would go out of her way to make sure I couldn't eat, sometimes up to two days at a time. Not sure why that was, but it resulted in me being able to eat whatever I wanted when I did get the chance without really putting on much weight. This has basically translated into me having no idea how to have a healthy diet now that Im married and not living with my parents. Along with some sporting injuries in the past that had me stop playing all the sport I used to, I've put on a lot of weight, and with other health issues I stopped getting out so much.

Along with my anxiety issues, I don't like to get out much because Im incredibly self conscious. This isnt helped by the fact that my mother and sisters like to go out of there way to make me feel like I am far larger than I am (one sister bought me a dress for christmas that was multiple sizes too large for me, and made a big deal about how it would fit me perfectly, just to try to mask her insults as kindness). I am probably not what is considered 'fat', but definitely overweight, and I dont want to let myself keep going this way when it will only be harder the longer I wait.

Part of this is about my confidence and self image, but another big part is my health. I need to learn how to eat healthier in general, and I want to be able to feel better physically and mentally. I have actually been losing weight lately, but not through any conscious effort- I've been tending to skip meals because some medication Im on just makes me lose my appetite, and I know that starving myself isn't the way to get healthy either.
    Sorry to hear about your family, sounds like they haven't treated you well.

If you can start doing a sport again I would, it will help with motivation. For food I would just make sure you get plenty of nutrients when you do feel hungry, and maybe get some protein shakes for when you aren't feeling hungry but your body needs to eat.

Fasting is complicated but can be done in healthy ways. How long are you going between meals with this medication?

@Finnlassie
    Walking seems like a great plan, and cutting out junk that is always good. What are your typical meals like?
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-01-17 at 01:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Fasting is complicated but can be done in healthy ways. How long are you going between meals with this medication?
    Typically, I would only think to eat something in the mornings when I take my meds, and the husband has to remind me to eat meals the rest of the day. On average I probably only eat some fruit in the morning, then (maybe) dinner at night. There's also the fact Im hypoglycemic, so Im supposed to be eating a small snack every few hours or I start to feel really ill and shaky, but when I do think to do that its usually me just finding whatever is easiest which is often not something that is going to be particularly healthy

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Typically, I would only think to eat something in the mornings when I take my meds, and the husband has to remind me to eat meals the rest of the day. On average I probably only eat some fruit in the morning, then (maybe) dinner at night. There's also the fact Im hypoglycemic, so Im supposed to be eating a small snack every few hours or I start to feel really ill and shaky, but when I do think to do that its usually me just finding whatever is easiest which is often not something that is going to be particularly healthy
    Sounds like Ensure or Slimfast would be useful. There are lots of prepackaged drinks like that, including atkins protein shakes. Set a timer and drink them when it goes off.

Just keeping a little under your daily caloric intake will get you slow weight loss, and the shakes are easy to count calories for.

18. - Top - End - #138

As I'm too self conscious to go to a gym (not that I could even if I wanted to since there's concrete being laid right outside my front door today) I found some home workout videos from a channel on youtube to get me started. A lot of the exercises were things I used to do when younger, and I have to say it is so much harder than I remember @_@ But I managed to get through every single one (right now focusing on arms and stomach).

I will have to see about those drinks once I can get outside without wet concrete. Something like that I suppose I wouldnt put off as readily as actual meals.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Oh I get this hugely. Luckily it seems I got rid of a big contributor to my stress a month ago- and I'm now just not buying the delicious delicious snacks that I wish I could ration out to myself. I can't ration, so I just won't give myself the temptation.

Anyway, I'm new to the thread, but figured I'd post as I'm trying to get fitter after a few years of injuries, followed by complacency and an energy draining living situation. I'd done bits and pieces in that time (mostly running, but nothing great). But yes, I'm throwing myself into getting more active and healthy, whilst still trying to balance my enjoyment of things.

The last few days have been good, managed a 5.2k run a few days ago, without having to walk at any point for the first time in ages. Hoping tomorrow morning is also a success, but I'll try not to beat myself up if its not as good. Running some and walking some is still better than not going right?

On a whim I decided to join some friends who are signing up for a half tough mudder in September, I reckon if an entire new person can grow in that timescale, I can get a bit leaner and fitter. I figure it gives me something concrete to aim at.

Anyway, I'll shush for now, but best of luck to everyone in their journeys!
    Punting, champagne and suits. Ah, the joys of being a Squashman and Anglo-Saxophonist.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

As I'm too self conscious to go to a gym (not that I could even if I wanted to since there's concrete being laid right outside my front door today) I found some home workout videos from a channel on youtube to get me started. A lot of the exercises were things I used to do when younger, and I have to say it is so much harder than I remember @_@ But I managed to get through every single one (right now focusing on arms and stomach).

I will have to see about those drinks once I can get outside without wet concrete. Something like that I suppose I wouldnt put off as readily as actual meals.
    I've been learning recently that your own body can serve as an impressively good weight to lift in many various exercises, using little or no equipment. Professional athletes and people looking to go from "fit" to "extremely fit" need something more, but it's plenty for someone out of shape looking to get decently fit and maybe lose some weight. It's called "bodyweight" exercising, if you need any help finding resources on it.

For meal replacement drinks, one that's been getting a lot of popularity and press recently is Soylent. I've started drinking about 1 bottle a day of it (substituting maybe a quarter of my overall food). It took a little getting used to at first, but now I actually like the Cacao flavor.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I've been learning recently that your own body can serve as an impressively good weight to lift in many various exercises, using little or no equipment. Professional athletes and people looking to go from "fit" to "extremely fit" need something more, but it's plenty for someone out of shape looking to get decently fit and maybe lose some weight. It's called "bodyweight" exercising, if you need any help finding resources on it.

For meal replacement drinks, one that's been getting a lot of popularity and press recently is Soylent. I've started drinking about 1 bottle a day of it (substituting maybe a quarter of my overall food). It took a little getting used to at first, but now I actually like the Cacao flavor.
    Yeah I could realise the body weight thing. The exercises I was doing used (small) weights but I didnt have any yesterday but could still feel it. Today I did it all again, but filled up some empty bottles to work until I get something better. Have to say I was still feeling sore from yesterday and just didnt want to do it today, but I know if I start skipping a day this quick it'll happen more and more often.

Tomorrow's the weekend so Im going to go on a shopping trip with the husband to look for healthy meals and those drinks.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ooh could be worth a look. I've only ha experience with Huel, which I'd say is pretty decent and unoffensive. I think it just comes in Original and Vanilla. Original isn't a wonderful taste, but is a savoury base if you want to add herbs/spices/anything else to it. These days I just take it as part of my hiking kit really, but when I first moved flat I was skint, my pans were boxed up and the cooker didn't work, so I was on it for about two weeks. I missed the texture of food, but it worked nicely. I might make it a lunch again when the weather warms up a bit.
    Punting, champagne and suits. Ah, the joys of being a Squashman and Anglo-Saxophonist.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Have to say I was still feeling sore from yesterday and just didnt want to do it today, but I know if I start skipping a day this quick it'll happen more and more often.
    Make sure you switch up which exercises you do from day to day. Your muscles need time to rest and recover to benefit well from exercise, but it's on a per-muscle basis. From everything I've read a typical pattern is to alternate upper body exercises one day and lower body the next, and it's important to take at least one day per week completely off with no exercise. So, pick one day of the week to be your rest day and commit to exercising all the other days of the week, with a rotating schedule of which exercises you do each day.

Also, proper form is very important. On exercise videos, make sure to look for one that explains in detail exactly how to do whatever exercise you're doing, no matter how simple it is or how well you think you already know it. For example, I had no idea that I hadn't actually known how to properly do a pushup until I came across this video - I was doing the first of the four common form errors it points out, angling my elbows out to the side rather than keeping them close.

Tomorrow's the weekend so Im going to go on a shopping trip with the husband to look for healthy meals and those drinks.
    I don't think Soylent is available in stores much, if you're thinking of that one specifically. You might be able to find it, there are some places that stock it, but most Soylent is sold through their web site and shipped to the customer directly. Ensure and a few other brands of such things are commonly stocked in grocery stores, though.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Firbolg in the Playground

There are different kinds of sore. The strong soreness/pain that you feel the day after you get back to training after a long pause (weeks or months) goes away by training during the following days, and lasts a lot longer if you don't train. Then there are the kinds of pain by which your body is telling you that it's tired or to look out for damage (in different parts, like muscles or tendons or joints or the skin).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah I could realise the body weight thing. The exercises I was doing used (small) weights but I didnt have any yesterday but could still feel it. Today I did it all again, but filled up some empty bottles to work until I get something better. Have to say I was still feeling sore from yesterday and just didnt want to do it today, but I know if I start skipping a day this quick it'll happen more and more often.

It is likely Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness at this point, or DOMS. The only way to get rid of DOMS is to exercise more often.

26. - Top - End - #146

It is likely Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness at this point, or DOMS. The only way to get rid of DOMS is to exercise more often.
    Possible, but it also turns out I woke up sick today and achy all over (even my jaw hurts) which Im pretty sure wasnt just from exercising.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whenever I start exercising after a long-ish inactivity, I'm basically guaranteed to get slightly ill for a couple days. I think since the body isn't used to consume that much energy, it uses the energies it would normally reserve for self-defense.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Just to jump on the train, I've noticed that too.

As a rule though, if I can get through a month of 3-4 times a week exercising, the fat starts melting off and I feel like a Greek God. It's so glorious. The trick is getting my depression to let me get that far. If I can fight through the depression for a month. I'm golden.
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh god yes, that feeling. The best part is when I start feeling the muscles even when I'm not exercising, usually not long before the changes start becoming visually noticeable.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Responses To Folks Upthread - Spoilered For Length
    Show
    Pulled something in my shoulderblade at the gym last night. Not a good feeling.
    Well if that's a muscle pull that sucks, if it's pain in the bone, and it persists you definitely should get that checked.

Spoiler
    Show

That sucks, I'm sorry your family sucks sometimes. At least one good thing about working out is that it might reduce the amount of meals you skip, cause you might be hungrier, especially if you're doing some kind of weightlifting. Although since I'm at the point where I'm doing facestuffing stuff, I'm not sure I could give as much advice about the whole eating healthy thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This year's plan is to lose the 5 kilos i gained last year, and then 5-10kg more. Biggest thing for me to do right now is cut my sugar and fat intake by a mile - that alone should make me lose the 5kg I gained in the past year quick since it was the main reason I got those kilos in me.

There's about 4,5km to my campus, to which I am currently taking the bus in and walking home, but soon will be walking both ways. That'll mean 20-40km of just walking per week. I have no other plans besides that at this point. More random cycling when spring arrives and I get my chains fixed by my friend.

I know I could easily lose even more and so on, but my eating disorder is a limiting factor; 2015 I ended up starving myself for two weeks when I wasn't meeting my requirements as an example. My mental health comes first.
    I would mostly try and do stuff with exercise first if you have eating disorder problems, I don't know if that's the best way to do it, but that way you might not have to focus on food, which seems like it could be a frustrating thing if that's been a problem. Cycling is definitely good for most stuff. And walking 9 km a day is probably a good start, if you have a place to shower and change you could maybe even up that to running or jogging later. Depending on how you like that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stadge View Post
    Oh I get this hugely. Luckily it seems I got rid of a big contributor to my stress a month ago- and I'm now just not buying the delicious delicious snacks that I wish I could ration out to myself. I can't ration, so I just won't give myself the temptation.

Anyway, I'm new to the thread, but figured I'd post as I'm trying to get fitter after a few years of injuries, followed by complacency and an energy draining living situation. I'd done bits and pieces in that time (mostly running, but nothing great). But yes, I'm throwing myself into getting more active and healthy, whilst still trying to balance my enjoyment of things.

The last few days have been good, managed a 5.2k run a few days ago, without having to walk at any point for the first time in ages. Hoping tomorrow morning is also a success, but I'll try not to beat myself up if its not as good. Running some and walking some is still better than not going right?

On a whim I decided to join some friends who are signing up for a half tough mudder in September, I reckon if an entire new person can grow in that timescale, I can get a bit leaner and fitter. I figure it gives me something concrete to aim at.

Anyway, I'll shush for now, but best of luck to everyone in their journeys!
    Awesome! I know a lot of people who've done tough mudders and they all seemed to have a good time. I would recommend signing up as soon as you can, on account of if you've already spent the monies then it'll encourage better training.

Definitely true, especially if you weigh as much as I do. Calisthenics can have some pretty heavy stopping points though, since there's a point where you won't weigh enough to actually make a movement worth it for improving heavy lifting strength. Like for example, in pushups, for me, I might be pressing the equivalent of... like we'll say between 130 and 190 lbs (between 1/2 and 2/3rds of my body weight). But for a guy who weighs 255, that's not a lot to press. So I would wind up being able to do enough reps that the pressing would be difficult. And then you hit points where to do more challenging calisthenics stuff you have to have enough natural flexibility and joint strength to do it.

As far as meal replacement stuff, I don't know, I mean if you're trying to gain, but otherwise it's always been a pain for me, cause you don't get nearly as satiated for it. As far as the best one, I would say that a lot of the time, milk is a really good one, and cheap too. I mean it's very close to the ideal ratios for something. And it's pretty filling, a little heavy on carbs though.

Possible, but it also turns out I woke up sick today and achy all over (even my jaw hurts) which Im pretty sure wasnt just from exercising.
    Well working out can weaken your immune system, and if you're going immediately out in to the cold (like to walk to your car after the gym) that can cause problems too. I mean there's no real way around that. Now your sore jaw could be from exercising, a lot of people clench their jaws when they're straining and that would produce a sore jaw especially if you weren't used to it... It is more likely that you're just sick though, but if your sore jaw persists I might look into a mouth guard or what-not.

Actually the way to deal with DOMS is to eat. Like if you're cutting, you'll get DOMS no matter what, even if you've been working out for years. Basically if you feed yourself enough you'll get a lot less soreness, but then you'll have the negative consequences of eating a lot. Which in my case winds up being okay, but for a lot of people might be an issue.

Update on me as well:

Today I started a new deadlifting program, which is a modification of a Russian squatting program, and since it's Russian it's super sadistic. At the peak it will involving deadlifting four days a week, which is definitely going to be the most I've ever deadlifted in terms of volume. It'll also involve deadlifting on unusual work days, which is good because on event days I'll have to deadlift and then do other things, but is going to take some getting used to on the regular. Today wasn't super heavy (for the deadlifting) heaviest I went was 325ish for a single (I say 'ish' cause I was using bumper plates for some of it, cause there weren't enough tens about, and those aren't always calibrated as well).

After that I got to jump right into my regular pushing type stuff. My overhead press is finally moving back up after my broken arm deal, I managed to overhead around 285 today, seated. Which is not bad, and I felt pretty good about it, not being able to overhead my bodyweight has been super discouraging for me. Mostly back to a lot of sets to failure and stuff.

In any case, it was an awesome workout, at least measured in terms of soreness/hunger. Which is good cause that means I'll be making more muscle. So that's how I'm doing, I'll also include my post-gym snack, since I'm super proud of it, but I'm spoilering it, on account of the fact that folks who are trying to lose might not want to see it.

Spoiler: My Exciting Post Gym Snack
    Show
    It was four ice cream sandwiches and an entire can of Pringles, not the healthiest choice, but it worked out well, and I'm hungry still, so probably I needed at least some of those empty calories to help my body recover from that absolutely miserable lifting day. Miserable in a good way though.

Edit: Actually it was five ice cream sandwiches...

And in bad news, my trainer apparently has discovered Zercher Squats, which is probably equivalent to some form of medieval torture. Or at least that was how I was feeling on Thursday.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2018-01-20 at 04:41 PM.