New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Get Fit: I want a folding vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    The estrogen gets used up storing and maintaining the fat IIRC. While your estrogen didn't spike, did your Test noticeable drop?
    Not really. I mean in the worst case you could try and take an AI and see if that works for that. I think that there's probably more to that, because those are complicated things, like the inherent complexity there makes it very hard to assess, and typically the studies that talk about that tend to be not all that great, or have small sample sizes. I can tell you that IPF tested powerlifters and WADA tested Oly lifters in the 300+ lb range probably (almost definitely) have more than 20% bodyfat, and they probably DO NOT have a lower test rating. So I think that other factors are probably significantly involved in that relationship.

Here is my take, people in sedentary jobs tend to have lower test, basically people who are not using their test for muscle development and working tend to wind up producing less of it. So I imagine that's where the actual relationship comes in. People who are obese tend not to be the ones who are using their musculature and physical stuff as much and so they would tend to have lower test levels. That's mostly just speculation though.

So I ran the numbers for protein intake, and realized that I'm eating 3lbs of straight protein a week more or less. Does anyone know what the protein mass to muscle mass conversion rate is? Or know where I can develop an approximation? I'm just curious at this point, wondering how "efficient" my body is with this. Obviously some of that goes to muscle repair and other system needs, but the question is how much?

I assume for bigger guys lifting heavier, more protein is needed to repair the more severe muscle damage done by a workout routine. This will obviously leave less for new musculature to form.

I dunno. I'm a numbers guy. Spreadsheets, percentages, and efficiencies are kind of my thing.
    I think that there'd be a lot of noise you'd have to account for in order to get that to an accurate representation. Generally if you are getting the bodybuilder/powerlifter recommended amount of protein you are probably getting more than your body can actually use. Which is good, too much protein isn't usually a bad thing. So go for it, I guess! I mean unless you have preexisting kidney troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    That does sound tough! I can see the relationship there, the OHP requires you to stabilize your back and the Deadlifts rough up the stabilizers. Interestingly I think combining them means you reinvented the powerclean :P

Glad to hear your deadlift is improving. When you do your competition remember to post photos/videos.

Okay, new shoes it is and trying to fix my stance. You said you use flat shoes, are lifting shoes a meme then?
    Lifting shoes will be the wrong kind actually for squatting in. Like Romaleos and stuff will be mostly for Oly lifts. So they'd help with your overhead, but not with your squats. Well, some people really like squatting in them, but I personally prefer barefoot or with really flat shoes. I mean you could get Romaleos and they're really good for Oly lifts and deadlifts (I deadlift barefoot also normally though), and they might work superb for your squats. They cost like 200 a pair though so that's like a choice you'd have to make.

As far as reinventing the power clean, I'd have to have combined them directly instead of just doing them on the same day. I'm missing about half of the power clean, since I did deadlifts and then push-presses, rather than deadlifts into push-presses.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2018-02-01 at 12:39 PM.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Just jumping in with my current program. I am prepping for a PT test in April and trying to lose waist size, I need a couple inches to get =<39" not that I really care too much if I fail since I deploy right after, have a six month grace period when I get back and I expect to retire before that hehe so the least stressful PT test with bogus metrics I have taken.

So I am doing a Weighted HIIT workout which takes 7 weeks and I am on week 3. Ill spoiler tag it so it doesn't take up as much space.
    Spoiler: undefined
    Show

On each exercise that is 10 sets of 10 you start with 60 seconds on week 1 and each week reduce the rest time by 10 seconds. Week 2 is 50 seconds, week 3 is 40... etc. So yes on the final week you are doing 100 reps with no break.

For obvious reasons do lighter weight than normal. 50-65% of your normal working weight.
    In the early weeks when you still have high rest time, push to do them as fast as possible intermixed with slow negatives.

Day 1 Chest and back
    bench press 10 sets of 10
    Bench press 3 sets to fail with 60 seconds rest in between
    Dumbbell incline press 3 sets to fail, 60 seconds rest
    Cable Crossover 3 to Failure 60s
    Wide-Grip Pulldown 10 of 10
    Wide-Grip Pulldown 3 to fail 60 seconds
    Barbell Bentover Row 3 to fail 60s
    Straight-Arm Pulldown 3 to fail 60s
    Reverse Crunch Body weight 10 sets of 10
    Crunch Body weight 10 sets of 20 +
    Super setted with 20 pushups do the countdown rest
    Dead/Curl/Press Light dumbbells 10 of 10

Day 2 Legs and triceps
    Squat 10 of 10
    Squat 3 to fail 60s
    Leg Press 3 sets to fail 60s
    Leg Extension 3 sets to fail 60s
    Leg Curl 3 sets to fail 60s
    Triceps Pressdown 10 sets of 10
    Triceps Pressdown 3 to Failure 60s
    Lying Triceps Extension 3 to Failure 60s
    Standing Calf Raise 10 sets of 40 for each leg with a 45lbs weight 30 seconds(don't drop until your weekly goes below 30)
    Standing Calf Raise 3 to fail Fail 30s
    Seated Calf Raise 3 sets to fail 60s
    Kettleball Swing 10 of 10

Day 3 Arms and shoulders
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 10 of 10
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 to fail 60s
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 to fail 60s
    Dumbbell Rear-Delt Raise 3 to fail 60s
    Dumbbell Shrug 10 of 10
    Dumbbell Shrug 3 sets to fail 60s
    Dumbbell Curl 3 sets to fail 60s
    Dumbbell Curl 3 sets to fail 60s
    Incline Dumbbell Curl 3 sets to fail
    Barbell Wrist Curl 10 of 10
    Barbell Wrist Curl 3 to fail 60s
    Dumbbell Clean 10 of 10

Days 4 5 and 6 simply starts over but the 3 to fail exercises are switched out
    Day 4
    Reverse-Grip Incline Bench Press 3 to fail 60s
    Incline Dumbbell Flye 3 to fail 60s

One-arm Dumbbell Bentover Row 3 to fail 60s
    Reverse-Grip Pulldown 3 to fail 60s

Day 5
    Dumbbell Lunge 3 to Failure 60s
    Romanian Deadlift 3 to Failure 60s
    Cable Overhead Triceps Extension 3 to failure 60s

Day 6
    One-arm Cable Lateral Raise 3 to fail 60s
    Machine Rear-Delt Flye 3 to Failure 60s
    Behind-the-Back Cable Curl 3 to failure 60s

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Down to 340 now, from 360 at the beginning of December. My original goal of losing 80lbs in a year has been done in seven months, the 160 pounds in two years should be done pretty early too.

June

Spoiler
    Show

December

Spoiler
    Show

Now

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-02-04 at 12:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Down to 340 now, from 360 at the beginning of December. My original goal of losing 80lbs in a year has been done in seven months, the 160 pounds in two years should be done pretty early too.

Spoiler
    Show

With a better shirt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent work TvTyrant!! That's some major progress. We're all here rooting for you!

I don't like before pics because it's hard enough looking in the mirror. I don't want a permanent reminder. I like my spreadsheets, keeps the self loathing at arms length. (Again this is for my neurotic behind).

Taylor had a fun birthday today! Her family and I made sure to throw her a HELL of a party. Unfortunately she wanted waffle house for breakfast and tacos for dinner. Not wanting to make her feel bad about my diet on her birthday I just ate without concern with calories or macros. I tried to damage control at dinner by skipping cake and soda but my macros where still all messed up and I finished the day with 2600 calories (800 over).

The important thing is my wife enjoyed her birthday, and I kept myself somewhat under control under the circumstance. I hope everyone is having a great weekend, goodnight!
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Awesome man! I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers dropping at the same rate though, since as you get further along they are going to slow down, and need adjustment and that sort of thing. So I wouldn't get too happy about things moving faster, or too depressed when they slow some as long as overall you're making your goal markers, if that makes sense.

Excellent work TvTyrant!! That's some major progress. We're all here rooting for you!

I don't like before pics because it's hard enough looking in the mirror. I don't want a permanent reminder. I like my spreadsheets, keeps the self loathing at arms length. (Again this is for my neurotic behind).
    Well, I mean those kind of pics are most significant if the primary reason for a fitness regimen is appearance. But if it's not there's not really a reason to make that the focus. I mean if it is, then you'd want to keep track of your appearance because that's important.

Taylor had a fun birthday today! Her family and I made sure to throw her a HELL of a party. Unfortunately she wanted waffle house for breakfast and tacos for dinner. Not wanting to make her feel bad about my diet on her birthday I just ate without concern with calories or macros. I tried to damage control at dinner by skipping cake and soda but my macros where still all messed up and I finished the day with 2600 calories (800 over).

The important thing is my wife enjoyed her birthday, and I kept myself somewhat under control under the circumstance. I hope everyone is having a great weekend, goodnight!
    One day is definitely not going to throw off a regimen, I wouldn't take any of the weigh-ins for the next week or so as being completely accurate though, cause you may have some bloating if you're coming off a cut. And I wouldn't have more than one or so days like that a month, give or take.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

[snip]
    Congrats on your progress!

Push-ups are coming along nicely. Spent some time on improving my form and am now up to 30 reps maximum.
    Since I noticed I had trouble keeping my core stable during longer sets, I started doing additional core excercices: planks, jack knifes and supermans mostly.

Also went for a run in a snow storm yesterday. It was great.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

7. - Top - End - #217

After a pretty bad January, fitness-wise (inflammed tendon, then a nasty fever), I've managed to start exercising daily again (with the usual exceptions for Thursday, since my schedule really doesn't allow it, and the days after a particularly tiring night). This feels great!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    After a pretty bad January, fitness-wise (inflammed tendon, then a nasty fever), I've managed to start exercising daily again (with the usual exceptions for Thursday, since my schedule really doesn't allow it, and the days after a particularly tiring night). This feels great!
    Sorry to hear that you pulled a tendon. Hopefully February is smooth sailing!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

So for the first time in I don't know when, when I stepped on the scale I was below 260lbs!

Small celebration for that. Mean's I'm down close to 30lbs since May of last year, counting the break I took (unintentionally, but I didn't know I had a hormone imbalance then) from Mid-July to beginning of January. Mean's I'm down ~8lbs in 3 weeks or so, which is very nice.

I'm trying to stay positive today, but it's been rough. I feel like crap, I dropped my brand new phone and shattered the screen, and I got a call from the hormone doc saying my bloodwork was seriously out of whack and I needed to follow up with my regular doc for his opinion/more tests.

I haven't seen my regular doc in almost 2 years because I've moved and he's over an hour away at this point.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So for the first time in I don't know when, when I stepped on the scale I was below 260lbs!

Small celebration for that. Mean's I'm down close to 30lbs since May of last year, counting the break I took (unintentionally, but I didn't know I had a hormone imbalance then) from Mid-July to beginning of January. Mean's I'm down ~8lbs in 3 weeks or so, which is very nice.

I'm trying to stay positive today, but it's been rough. I feel like crap, I dropped my brand new phone and shattered the screen, and I got a call from the hormone doc saying my bloodwork was seriously out of whack and I needed to follow up with my regular doc for his opinion/more tests.

I haven't seen my regular doc in almost 2 years because I've moved and he's over an hour away at this point.
    First: congrats on the weight loss!

Second: you may want to change doctors then. Having regular access to a doctor is one of the finest perks of civilization.

11. - Top - End - #221

Sorry to hear that you pulled a tendon. Hopefully February is smooth sailing!
    And I hope you're right!

In other news, I'm finally under 80 kgs (you anglophone guys and your silly pounds and inches and inferior systems). This means I'm officially in "good weight" zone, and my final assault to that annoying belly fat reserve has begun!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

First: congrats on the weight loss!

Second: you may want to change doctors then. Having regular access to a doctor is one of the finest perks of civilization.
    Thank you!

And while I agree, i had to move to finish school, which I do in either 5 or 11 months depending on if my last class is over the summer, and I'll probably be out of state after that. I had no desire to leapfrog doctors, and because I'm young and invincible, I rarely need them anyway. It was a calculated gamble on my part, that and no insurance.

I might have lost that last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    And I hope you're right!

In other news, I'm finally under 80 kgs (you anglophone guys and your silly pounds and inches and inferior systems). This means I'm officially in "good weight" zone, and my final assault to that annoying belly fat reserve has begun!
    I know, it's the worst. Remember crunches are great for toning up those core muscles, but don't do anything for the fat on top.

Also, 80 kilos? That's ~185 IIRC from my conversion tables, how tall are you that you have any significant pooch?

13. - Top - End - #223

I'm about 1.79m tall (you anglophone guys and your silly feet and inches). Being under 80 kgs, I'm already in the "look good enough" range so I don't really have a significant pooch... but I want to keep going until I reach my personal top shape, nevertheless.

That said, thanks for the encouragement and good luck with your own journey!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

June

Spoiler
    Show

December

Spoiler
    Show

Now

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, congrats on the progress and thanks for the sharing. I'm in a similar boat with Sivarias regarding pics, but maybe I'll get there someday.

Personally I'm still keeping at it, but on a positive note the "back tension" I reported earlier has stopped. I guess it really was just my body adapting to a new activity after all.

Had to help move some boxes and shelves around as part of workplace renovation, which only served to remind me why I need to get fit. I've always been quick to sweat, heh.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Wow, congrats on the progress and thanks for the sharing. I'm in a similar boat with Sivarias regarding pics, but maybe I'll get there someday.

Personally I'm still keeping at it, but on a positive note the "back tension" I reported earlier has stopped. I guess it really was just my body adapting to a new activity after all.

Had to help move some boxes and shelves around as part of workplace renovation, which only served to remind me why I need to get fit. I've always been quick to sweat, heh.
    I use the pictures to prove to myself I am actually progressing. My self loathing is pretty deep and I have difficulty seeing anything good about myself.

I'm glad to hear your back problems were temporary!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

I use the pictures to prove to myself I am actually progressing. My self loathing is pretty deep and I have difficulty seeing anything good about myself.

I'm glad to hear your back problems were temporary!
    That's what my spreadsheets are for. Mine runs pretty deep as well and, frankly it's hard to get over the fact that I'm "still fat"

However I can look at my numbers and say, "I've made serious progress" no matter how I feel about my self.
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2018-02-08 at 07:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That's what my spreadsheets are for. Mine runs pretty deep as well and, frankly it's hard to get over the fact that I'm "still fat"

However I can look at my numbers and say, "I've made serious progress" no matter how I feel about my self.
    I can see that. The photos help me visually I guess, they help me to not look in the mirror and see the blob I used to be.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

I can see that. The photos help me visually I guess, they help me to not look in the mirror and see the blob I used to be.
    That's kind of funny. My metabolism is highly efficient, so I can practically eat anything I want and don't change, the potential fat reservoirs get burned right away. Same with alcohol, I've got to consume faster than my body can break it down even to get a bit tipsy, let's not talk about the volumes it needs to get me drunk. I started to do certain sports and training exercises for health reasons, mainly back musculature, strengthening the spine and anything that builds muscle to help take pressure off of the joints, especially knees, simply because I felt the wear and tear set in already.

Looking in the mirror or at older photos kind of depresses me by showing me what kind of progress is not possible.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    That's kind of funny. My metabolism is highly efficient, so I can practically eat anything I want and don't change, the potential fat reservoirs get burned right away. Same with alcohol, I've got to consume faster than my body can break it down even to get a bit tipsy, let's not talk about the volumes it needs to get me drunk. I started to do certain sports and training exercises for health reasons, mainly back musculature, strengthening the spine and anything that builds muscle to help take pressure off of the joints, especially knees, simply because I felt the wear and tear set in already.

Looking in the mirror or at older photos kind of depresses me by showing me what kind of progress is not possible.
    How is the stomach? My workout partner has a very cantankerous stomach and can't make himself eat much without getting sick, so he is very limited calorie wise.

If you have a more palatable palate you might consider oil as a way to add a lot of calories for bulking.

I am sorry to hear about the image issues, I know I am hoping mine will fade a bit as I get healthier.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, today was rough, like crazy rough. I'd forgot to tell my coach about exactly what my brutal deadlift plan was, so he added a day of deadlifting into my workouts. Which I did anyways since next week I'll be at four days a week and that's just brutal. I'm definitely feeling a lot of soreness in my back, and in my stabilizers. This is also the heaviest I've pulled without a belt, and it's definitely more of a challenge.

Although in a super-good note, my biceps are exploding. I'm definitely seeing visual improvements, which are secondary for me, but it's still nice to see. And the weight is definitely moving up easier, although four days pulling heavy a week is really rough on the body. I don't think I would ever do this longterm. But hopefully it'll put my deadlift up decently for my first comp.

Also there's something super primal about lifting without any equipment, I'll have to adjust that the other way before the comp, since that's an equipped lift, but it's just amazing to have nothing but the weight and you, especially if you lift barefoot or in socks, cause then you can feel yourself pressing into the ground and what-not.

I'm also considering increasing my cardio stuff and adding some more flexibility, since I'm starting to get to the weight where I'm wanting to have some improvements in that way. So I'm trying to think of effective lower impact things, since I'm now weighing like 260+ lbs and I don't want to be putting that weight on my knees more than necessary, I'm already squatting enough to beat the hell out of them. And I'll probably be looking into Yoga with my sister, but that seems to be pretty involved. It's a pain to even figure out what each class involves, so I guess I'll have to not be lazy and do research.

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Congrats on your progress!

Push-ups are coming along nicely. Spent some time on improving my form and am now up to 30 reps maximum.
    Since I noticed I had trouble keeping my core stable during longer sets, I started doing additional core excercices: planks, jack knifes and supermans mostly.

Also went for a run in a snow storm yesterday. It was great.
    30 reps is a pretty good milestone! Are you actually holding your core tight during sets or noticing that it wasn't tight when it collapses? There are a few things you can try to get pushups to be more. First is to increase your volume, especially in short order. Like instead of doing one set of 30, do like one set to failure, rest for a couple seconds, then a second set to failure, then a third. Basically for that your rest time should be the time it takes you to move back to the front leaning rest.

The other thing is to have some training sessions where you focus on doing as many pushups as quickly as possible, and then some training sessions where you really concentrate on the movement, slow it down so that each repetitions takes about four seconds to complete, pause both at the top and bottom of the movement. And then once you've mastered those two, you can add in a third style where you lower to the bottom of the movement and pushup as explosively as possible after pausing for a couple seconds. If you get it right you'll be able to do clapping pushups and that impresses people, especially if you can get two to three claps in.

The only other thing I'd try is pushup variations, like raise your legs (you won't be able to do as many this way) put them on a chair or something so they're elevated. Adjust your hand position, do some "Diamond" pushups where your hands are together and some wider pushups, just so that you can make sure that ALL of the muscles involved are improving and you can also highlight particular failure points more easily.

Well sounds like you should probably get a different doc. On that note, you are probably lighter than me now, so awesome work man!

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post

Sad part is that when you get fitter, you'll actually sweat more easily. I don't know why that is, but I've noticed that complaint from many folks (and these weren't just people trying to get massive, these were just regular fit folk.)

Spreadsheets and numbers of weights lifted are probably the best measures of progress you can get. If you can't do like an accurate body-fat. Especially because the way you feel about yourself is (in my experience) largely internalized. Like I feel relatively the same as I did when I weighed almost one-hundred lbs less. I mean there are a few times when I'll notice, but like I feel the same, and I don't necessarily even always see a difference just looking in a mirror, even though I know that there is a HUGE difference.

That's why numbers are a handy tool, because your eyes can trick you, numbers can also trick you, but will probably trick you less.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post

That does suck man, the truth is that gaining is a LOT more complicated and dicey than losing is. I mean probably some progress is possible, and honestly probably more than you would think. But gaining is a pain, not just in terms of getting enough calories but in terms of the fact that you could eat 1,000,000 calories and you might just have some really spendy bowel movements as your body expunges rather than uses.

One thing you might try is creatine actually, I know that's kind of a trendy thing to suggest, but the way it works is that it pulls more water into your muscles which can really help with soreness in general and stuff, and help reduce the kind of pressure you're describing. It also can make gaining easier if you're a hardgainer, but again, it's a much dicier proposition.

What's your wrist size like? What's your bone structure? Cause that's going to really be the key to figuring out what kind of muscle gain you can actually manage, if you are trying to figure out what's possible. Since bones are like the foundations for your muscles, and while working out can improve your bone density and size, there are limits based on what you started with.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

So I ran the numbers for protein intake, and realized that I'm eating 3lbs of straight protein a week more or less. Does anyone know what the protein mass to muscle mass conversion rate is? Or know where I can develop an approximation? I'm just curious at this point, wondering how "efficient" my body is with this. Obviously some of that goes to muscle repair and other system needs, but the question is how much?

I assume for bigger guys lifting heavier, more protein is needed to repair the more severe muscle damage done by a workout routine. This will obviously leave less for new musculature to form.

I dunno. I'm a numbers guy. Spreadsheets, percentages, and efficiencies are kind of my thing.
    For bodybuilding and strength training? The recommended amount is usually around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. This tends to get skewed depending on your body composition.

Research on this is sort of observational, but it's what professionals generally recommend.

EDIT: By my math that puts you at about 194~ grams a day, which sounds about right, give or take.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2018-02-11 at 12:56 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone here into outdoors stuff? I hike and hunt and fish, and I was thinking of getting into kayaks or canoes (rowing and fishing).

Is a rowing machine sufficient to build up muscle for canoes, or would it be better to practice on a rowboat? I have a small river for the latter near my house, but I live dead center of the nose hell triangle of a waste treatment plant, a dump and a dairy so the water is none too fresh. Going to a cleaner source is too far to do regularly, hence the machine idea.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

*Shrugs*

We actually call it "water hiking" around here. Flat land, stable waterways all up to the north or baltic sea. Pretty common hobby and a good way to cover some distance.

Using a rowing machine does train up the basic musculature, but is not the same. No curves, no waves, no wind, just rowing in a straight line, no training to keep your balance in a Kayak.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone here into outdoors stuff? I hike and hunt and fish, and I was thinking of getting into kayaks or canoes (rowing and fishing).

Is a rowing machine sufficient to build up muscle for canoes, or would it be better to practice on a rowboat? I have a small river for the latter near my house, but I live dead center of the nose hell triangle of a waste treatment plant, a dump and a dairy so the water is none too fresh. Going to a cleaner source is too far to do regularly, hence the machine idea.
    A rowing machine helps build up muscle, but fundamentally the movements for paddling a canoe are different from the movements of a rowing machine, which are different from the movements for paddling a kayak. The easiest way to build up muscles for canoeing is to go canoeing, the easiest way to build up muscles for kayaking is to go kayaking. Just start in a reservoir or similar instead of jumping straight into white water.

With that not being regularly doable just generally building arm strength then going canoeing when you can works fine. I'd look around for water sources first though - it's entirely possible that you've missed some small lake or reservoir nearby; canoes have very shallow drafts and kayaks are yet shallower and you can get by in surprisingly small waterways.

I'd also recommend trying both before buying either, so that you can discover whether you favor canoeing as is good and proper, or you're some sort of degenerate who would rather kayak for some inexplicable reason.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    A rowing machine helps build up muscle, but fundamentally the movements for paddling a canoe are different from the movements of a rowing machine, which are different from the movements for paddling a kayak. The easiest way to build up muscles for canoeing is to go canoeing, the easiest way to build up muscles for kayaking is to go kayaking. Just start in a reservoir or similar instead of jumping straight into white water.

With that not being regularly doable just generally building arm strength then going canoeing when you can works fine. I'd look around for water sources first though - it's entirely possible that you've missed some small lake or reservoir nearby; canoes have very shallow drafts and kayaks are yet shallower and you can get by in surprisingly small waterways.

I'd also recommend trying both before buying either, so that you can discover whether you favor canoeing as is good and proper, or you're some sort of degenerate who would rather kayak for some inexplicable reason.
    The only problem is kayaks transport more easily then canoes, and the water around is here is mostly rough.

Why do you prefer canoes?
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-02-12 at 11:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

The only problem is kayaks transport more easily then canoes, and the water around is here is mostly rough.

Partly because they're more stable and easier to steer, but mostly due to them just feeling more fun. It's largely an emotional reaction, but preference often is. I've had fun kayaking before, particularly the one time I went sea-kayaking (they have better steering).

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

To expand a bit on what Knaight wrote earlier, rowing is parallel arms movement, the double-sided paddles of a kayak is asynchronous arms movement and the single-sided paddles of a canoe is counter arms movement. So all very different.

Canoes are more stable and offer better storage capacity for longer trips. Itīs also quite fun to rent a 3 or 4 person version and go on a weekend trip with family or friends.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

The good news is that my second deadlift day this week was way easier than the first. Although that has me a little worried, since I'm wanting the most benefit possible out of this deadlift training and that should mean that things should get progressively more difficult or maintain the same. Also it was interesting as today was Ash Wednesday so I hadn't gotten the feeding I'd really have wanted for this. But it was not so bad, we'll see how the remaining two days go, since the weight really ratchets up there.

I also have all kinds of other fitness things I need to think about, my cardio is not where it really should be for my health, but it's hard to figure out any kind of cardio that would work for me without me losing too much strength and since I'm getting much heavier impact is an issue, so it's a complex thing. Of course, when I start work again that'll probably sort itself.

And I also have to figure out what things I want to buy, between squat and deadlift suits and stuff. And I have to make decisions about chemical assistance and if that's a route I want to go back down. Which is to say the least a super complicated matter.

Anyways that's what's on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    For bodybuilding and strength training? The recommended amount is usually around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. This tends to get skewed depending on your body composition.

Research on this is sort of observational, but it's what professionals generally recommend.

EDIT: By my math that puts you at about 194~ grams a day, which sounds about right, give or take.
    Yeah, this is a hugely disputed area. I think generally my advice is to take the higher recommendations when people suggest them, which tends to be 1.5g to a pound, just because unless you have kidney problems there's not really a problem with getting too much protein, and that way you'll wind up with less carb calories anyways which can be beneficial.

My advice is pretty much the same as everybody else's although my experience is somewhat less. If you want to get better at something, you have to do that thing. That's pretty much it. Like you can do other stuff to help some, but the best thing is to focus on that thing. That's why powerlifters focus on their main lifts and do the rest as accessories. And you'll find the same in most sports.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

lol go fr your dreamssssss

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

So spent the last two weeks falling off the wagon.

Apparently the depression wasn't gone, just in remission. As soon as I paused my workout routine it came back with a vengeance. This killed self esteem and I ate a bunch of fast food. I'm back up to 165. Two weeks of progress flushed in a week.

Means I can't get below 250 by my bday without starving myself (March 7th) Worse, I'm seriously considering it because I HATE being fat. I've been fat for so long. I PROMISED myself that I would NEVER be above a 40" waist or more than 250lbs.

Considering I'm currently above both just ****ing hurts.

So the trifecta of suck is

Poor self care
    Depression
    Compulsive behaviors

I need to fix them in that order unfortunately otherwise the ones on top trigger the ones on bottom. Time to bootstrap again.

I'm just so tired of having to hate myself up off the floor.
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2018-02-16 at 10:12 AM.