New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Crucible

Klemm, perched on a table with his fiddle, gives Atas' a wink as he catches the glint of coin metal flipping into the instrument case opened at his feet.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra

Kyra don't say a word, her nostril start contracting she looks toward the mage not willing to accept defeat, she needs this win! Especially after fleeing the tower she places 1gp in the table.

She gets back to the traditional position, but this time something different happens, all her tattoos start shining in a bright blue light around her body, for a second her hair becomes even more orange (if that is even possible), all her muscle starts contracting, she even grow a few inches in size. She then start the contest.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2018-03-04 at 12:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Sylana watches Kyra's transformation with an unimpressed expression on her plain face. She pointedly takes Kyra' gold coin from the previous match and places it back on the table.

Her expression quickly changes when she locks hand with the barbarian again. Kyra, primed for action, almost immediately shoves the spectral hand downward with a grunt. Sylvana's eyes narrow again,however, and the hand begins pushing back, even harder than before. She again forces Kyra's hand back to the neutral position, with much straining. From there, she quite handily finishes the match by driving Kyra's hand once again into the table.

She scoops up her coins again, and then eyes Kyra. Raising her voice over the din of fiddle and crowd, she says, "You are stronger than my average foes, but you are competing with my mind, which is formidable. I'll give you one more chance to defeat me, but, to make it interesting, I propose we change the wager." With this, she pulls an aged tome, leather and wood covered, and bound with rawhide thongs, from a haversack sitting next to her on the bench. "I don't suppose this means much to you, but your friends appear to be more inquisitive. This is The Lives of the Sorceror Lords the name of the author is lost in time, but this was unearthed somewhere in the swamp, and appears to be a remnant of the times before the Crucible was cut off from the rest of the world. I will wager this volume against a favor. If I win, you will do me this favor, and if I lose, you will take possession of this book. I've read it already anyway."
    Last edited by Armored Walrus; 2018-03-04 at 09:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra

"DEAL!!" at this point Kyra is not even listening to the mage words, she is just thrilled to have one last chance to prove herself. When she put her arm in the tabble she is in such raging state and uses to much strenght that the tabble even cracks a bit.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2018-03-04 at 11:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Seething with a terrible rage, momentarily not even comprehending the fact that the stakes have changed, Kyra slams another coin on the table and raises her fist. Sylvana maneuvers her ghostly hand back into place. "Your emotion will cloud your judgement, she begins to say, then Kyra launches the focused power of her rage into the contest. The elf's plain face tightens with sudden concentration, but it's no use. The spectral hand is driven to the surface of the table with a hollow boom.

You hadn't realized how much attention this contest had acquired until you hear the deafening roar of cheers, momentarily drowning out the music.

Sylvana gives a slight sigh, places the book on the table, setting the gold coin delicately on top of it, and slides both across the table to Kyra.

"Well fought, large one. Perhaps it's time for me to take my winnings and retire for the evening."

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra

"HELL YEAH!!" says Kyra celebrating being able to win finnaly, not even noticing the crowd around them, after half minute her adrenaline start decreasing, so as her muscles she and the color on her tattoos she repplies to Sylvana "So does you, I hate do admit but I never faced such hard adversary in arm wrestling before! And I do want a remach some other time! Maybe I could turn the score in my favor!" Kyra says the last part confidently, but also with a increased respect for the mage.

After that she goes back to her friends with a half smile in face and throw the book for Shaena "Here it go, that is for you Shaena! Now let's eat and get drunk! We deserve after the past weeks! she start waving for a someone to order the food and drink.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2018-03-04 at 08:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Kyra is all Shaena says before she opens the book and looks through its contents.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

The raucous din, the frenetic music fade from Shaena's notice as she becomes immediately absorbed in the book. Covered in sturdy oiled leather wrapped around what appear to be cedar plank covers, a catch secures it closed. She unclasps the volume and inspects the first page, which is inscribed with the aforementioned title. Although, as Sylvana noted, no author is mentioned.

Paging quickly through it she finds it to be a description of a group of powerful people who once ruled a series of islands known as the Shattered Isles. These Sorcerer Lords, beneath a veneer of ostentatious social pleasantries, engaged in ceaseless rivalries, and bitter subterfuges. But now they're time, too, appears to be long past. Even this tome, old as it appears, seems to have been written ages after the passing of its subjects.

One passage leaps to the halfling's attention:

“Sarpedon was a pioneer in the construction of biological forms. He held in
    contempt the usual method of sewing rotting pieces of flesh together with
    wires or hinges, and referred to its practitioners as morons and hatchet men.
    In its place, he developed a method of mixing living forms that he compared to
    the blending of notes into harmony. He likened himself to a composer in the
    music of flesh and bone..."

Meanwhile, Sylvana continues putting her evening's take into her haversack, and, swinging it onto her shoulder, she prepares to take her leave.

Klemm's energetic song also begins to slow to what sounds like an ending, the merwoman's dancing slows along with it.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

Taking notice of the first *THUD*, Mohander's attention shifts to Kyra's competition and he wanders closer to get a better view of the contest.Cheering along with the others at her eventual victory, he gives her a congratulatory slap on the back as they sit down again to wrap up the evening and head to their rooms. He makes a mental note to check with Tordif in the morning about his pest problem.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

With the cheers dying down, the tavern-goers go back to their business of drinking and carousing. Here and there one of the Red Lanterns pull a member of the crowd behind them up to the third floor. While Shaena is engrossed in her book, the caravan guard she looked for upon her entrance appears, has a quick nightcap, and stumbles out into the night.

Klemm's playing comes to an end as Sylvana makes her way out the door, and the dancing merwoman touches a seashell at her throat. Her tail briefly blurs, and shifts into a pair of shapely blue legs, and she climbs out of her tank. Klemm basks briefly in the applause surrounding the end of his performance, and busies himself wiping down and casing his various instruments.

The merwoman's emergence gains the attention of Durrhan, who appears to have drunk his way through most of that pouch of coins. He staggers over and begins drunkenly hitting on her. She says nothing, but holds her hands up in front of her and puts a stern expression on her face. Klemm looks up from his packing with a scowl, which Durrhan appears not to notice. Eventually, his advances getting him nowhere, he reaches out and grabs her by the arm. She lets out a piercing, whistling shriek. Klemm stands up. Kyra also stands, her chair scraping across the floor as the crowd immediately surrounding you goes silent. Kyra glares at Durrhan, and with a look at the barbarian, a quick scowl for Mohander, the ugly human lets go of the dancer and stalks out into the darkness, his crew on his heels.

The fish woman gives the party a grateful look and Klemm sidles up next to her. "This one's got a voice fer underwater ain't she? But thanks fer helpin out. The Red Lanterns know what they signed up fer, and they make good money, but this one ain't fer pawin'." He bids the party a good evening and walks with the merwoman, talking softly as they head up to the second floor.

The Party Takes a Long Rest

Bedding down for the evening, while the chaos in the tavern below eases into a comfortable late-night quiet of the serious drinkers, the party puts aside their cares and enjoys a well-deserved rest on soft beds.

The morning dawns, but it's difficult to tell as dark storm clouds have rolled in over night. A constant, grey downpour limits your vision from the shuttered windows of your rooms, and you're barely able to make out the tents of the market below. Meandering yawningly into the common room, you find Tordif up again already, wiping the bar, seeing to the morning's customers - few though they be - and chivvying Marryn to move more quickly in her table-waiting duties, though there appears to be little need for haste today.

He comes and dabs at your table, wiping up invisible spots, and strikes up a conversation about his rat problem. "I do know be sure if I e'en want to tell ye this, but it do need to be taken care of. Ye do seem a dab hand, and cool under pressure, and I do need some seasoned adventurers to slay some terrible beast." With this, the pair of regulars sitting at the bar snicker into their mugs. Tordif gives them a dark look and continues, "They do think it be hilarious, but a rat infestation be no joke. An' these do no be ordinary rats! They be big! and mean! and dire! And they do have lifeless black eyes, like a doll's eyes." He looks at you, embarrassed, slightly defiant, yet hopeful.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the regulars at the bar pipes up. "Hirin' adventurers to kill rats in yer cellar? Din't I see that in a puppet show once?" The other guffaws, soaking his long white beard in breakfast ale. They quiet down at a look from Tordif, but still chuckle over the seemingly cliche'd plot hook.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena, a full 30 seconds after Tordif approaches them and the other patron guffaws, finally looks up from the new book she had once again been perusing. She wipes away a few crumbs that drop onto the pages she's currently on.

She looks blankly at Tordif for a moment before responding. Oh think one of us did mention that to the rest of the party. I suppose I can tear myself away from this tome if everyone else is ready. She looks to the rest of the group, waiting for their response.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

As per usual, only one thing is on the monk's mind. "Are they filthy and disease-ridden? It would be worth it to inure my body to such threats." Hinted at by his tone of voice, Atas is in something of a bad mood. The stormy weather has ruined his plans to go sparring with Kyra and Lummie out on the edge of town.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

The sheeting rain helps you all feel ok about not accomplishing much today. After a lingering breakfast and a quick promise to Tordif to look into his problem tomorrow, you find the energy to trudge about town and complete your previous day's errands. Stopping by the bowyer's stall, you duck under the canvas cover of his tent, globules of water slowly form on the ceiling inside as the rain soaks its way through the heavy fabric, dripping heavily onto the half-finished bows and arrows underneath, but the wood elf doesn't seem to mind. He hands over Mohander's order with a grin.

After visiting the smith to pick up your ordered armor, you call it an early day and head back to the foaming flagon to kill time. This night is as raucous as the last, but you keep to yourselves in a dim corner and nurse your way through a light meal and a few drinks. Your pallets welcome you back for your second consecutive night of rest, and you wake in the morning completely refreshed.

Spoiler: Long Rest
    Show
    Take a long rest, folks.

Next morning, once you've taken care of the morning's necessities, you find yourself in the cellar of the Foaming Flagon with its proprietor.

"Right. As we did discuss, I be offerin' twenty gold crowns if you do rid this place of the vermin. Have a care, they did try to attack Marryn when she did come down here for pickles last night. Me, I do think they be hiding behind yon wine barrels, but the how of this job do be up to you."

With that, he backs out of the cellar, leaving you staring at the crates, barrels and boxes of stored foodstuffs.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

With a sigh, Atas lights up a torch, then takes it in one hand while his other wields his newly acquired spear. "The things I do for enlightenment.... he mumbles, sounding more annoyed that this is the best workout he can find currently than sarcastic.

His way lit, he steps towards the wine barrels Tordif pointed out. For now, he just attempts to look behind them and figure out if he can see anything rat-like.

Spoiler: Perception?
    Show
    (1d20+6)[23]
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena remains in the dark, enjoying her newfound sight. She begins scanning the room as well, trying to spot any rats among the contents of the room.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[9]

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Atas hears a telltale rustling and moving, rat-like shapes behind the wine barrels. Shaena gets distracted by sensory overload and doesn't notice.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

As Atas steps forward, holding the torch high, a trio of giant rats scurries out from behind the wine barrels. Taken by surprise, Atas waves his torch around ineffectually as they scamper toward him with yellowed teeth bared.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative!
    Kyra: 22
    Mohander: 20
    Shaena: 19
    Rats!: 12
    Atas: 7

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena jumps back a bit, but not enough to move from her current position. She takes aim at one of the rats with her eldritch blast.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: Eldritch blast
    (1d20+6)[14]

Damage: (1d10+3)[8]

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

The force leaves Shaena's hands, crackling with eldritch energy. It slams into one of the rats, and scatters its entrails across one of the wine barrels.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra

Kyra bashes and slashes the nearby rat.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    bonus: shield bash (1d20+5)[18]
    Try make it prone vs rat Athletics (1d20)[16]
    Attack (1d20+5)[10] A (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage (1d8+5)[10]

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra neatly chops one of the rats in two. The last rat turns to flee behind the wine barrels.

Show
    Mohander still up.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Still awaiting the bow to be finished, Mohander, daggers in hand, makes his way to the wine barrels and tries to catch the rat before it wiggles its way into a hole of some sort.

Show
    (1d20+6)[23]
    (1d4+4)[6]

BA two wep fighting
    (1d20+6)[24]
    (1d4+4)[6] (whoops, remove the +4 ability bonus to that. this roll should be a 2)
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-03-14 at 08:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Mohander neatly skewers the final rat on the ends of his daggers. The smell of blood and offal chokes the air of the cellar, but the wood elf notices a breath of cleaner, though stale, air coming from behind the wine barrels. Rolling it aside reveals a jagged hole in the wall of the cellar. The edges of it are fluffed with rat hair, and a path of crumbs, droppings, and chewed wood - all well-trodden into the stone of the cellar - leads back into a narrow natural tunnel leading away into darkness.

Spoiler: Exp
    Show
    So 75 exp divided by 4 is... let's just call it 20 exp each.
    Last edited by Armored Walrus; 2018-03-14 at 10:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mohan

Wiping the blood from his blades, Mohander crouches in front of the tunnel peering deeper within to see how deep it goes and if a person his size might be able to shimmy further in. He glances up at the ceiling to get his bearings and see where exactly this tunnel may be leading - whether toward the building's interior or perhaps away to another building. "Suppose he'll want us to lug these things out of the cellar too, eh?"

Show
    Idk if you want Perception or not: (1d20+7)[19]

Also ty for the easy bookkeeping with the XP bump :)
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2018-03-14 at 11:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

Atas brushes some dust off his clothes, having gotten caught on one of the shelves as he retreated from the suddenly appearing rats.

"Not worth my time yet." he notes, before taking a closer look at the hole. Just how big is it? And does it look as though the rats alone are responsible for it?

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena wrinkles her nose and pokes one with her staff. She smirked a bit as she began examining the rats and any that had exposed innards, curious to see how they were structured internally.

So, if we're just leaving them here for now,I suppose we should search for the rest of the pack?

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Inspecting the hole in the cellar wall, Atas notices that the mortar between the bricks above the hole show signs of having been cracked some time ago. The brittle mud bricks still bear claw and tooth marks from the rodents pushing, scratching and chewing their way in.

The cavern beyond looks natural. It's about 3 feet high and roughly the same across, and bends sharply to the right within the range of your torch's light.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Atas

The wood elf glares down the hole, feeling confident that there is no foul play at work here. He turns towards Shaena, raising an eyebrow.

"Do you feel confident in your ability to sneak? It might be best to send our smallest ahead, as only you will be able to effectively retreat."

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaena shrugs. Though dextrous by nature, I'm afraid sneaking was never my strong suit. But it does seem like I'd be the best to fit through there. And who knows what kind of knowledge can be had from such a different experience. So once more into the breach!.

And with that she enters the whole as carefully as possible. However, as she enters and continues, she begins to daydream about the possibilities of what could be down here in addition to the rats.

Spoiler
    Show

This is my attempt at justifying getting my inspiration back by invoking my "distracted by the promise of information" flaw for disadvantage on stealth.

Disadvantage if accepted:
    (1d20+3)[17]
    (1d20+3)[4]