New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: King Maker Solo

1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: King Maker Solo

Cursing, Vindariel makes his way out of the ditch after looking around the empty room.
    He finishes, exploring the area before moving back into the woods.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

You cross over the Skunk River, a warm waterway fed by the hot spring you visited earlier, and find yourself in a boggy mire. Between the smell of rot from the bog and the scent of the sulfur tainted water from the river Skunk, it is not a pleasant place to live. Still, two large ruined building show that at one time people tried to do just that. Now the two stone structures lean at dangerous angles as they sink ever so slowly into the swampy soil. You begin to understand why colonization attempts have failed thus far, with choices like these.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel dismounts and leads his horse with one hand ready grab his weapon.
    Carefully he looks around for any sign of habitation.

Spoiler
    Show

Activating Synesthet and sharing it with the crystal

(1d20)[8]+7
    (1d20)[19]+10

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

As you approach a building, you here an angry croak as a saber tooth frog as large as you are bounds from the opening in the wall. You recognize this creature as a slurk, if you've ever seen them before. While it looks hostile, it doesn't approach you. Instead it stays nears its nest, croaking loudly at you. At the alarm of the slurk, another creature emerges from the second building. This frog like humanoid stands between you and the slurk. Holding up both hands (one of which you notice was mangled and never healed correctly), he shouts in a deep, croaking voice: "Truce! Truce!"

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

A surprise, but a pleasant one, Vindariel thinks. He lowers his hands from his sword and holds them up in a placating gesture:
    "Peace. I do not wish you harm.

My name is Vindariel - who are you?"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

The frog person blinks. You get the impression he may not have followed everything you said.

"Boggard croak. You go! He says, using his language to fill in for common words he didn't know.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-11-04 at 04:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

"I go. No trouble.
    I am friend.

Here."

Slowly, so he doesn't startle the Boggard he pulls out another bottle of alcohol and a food ration from his pack. He places them between the Boggard and him. Then Vindariel moves away slowly.

"This is for you" he says and tries to make gestures to this effect too.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

The Boggard watches you suspiciously. He doesn't immediately move to accept your gift, but a few repeated glances towards the items tells you that he is at least interested.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel keeps his hands up and holds his distance. Just to show its not poisoned, Vindariel takes another ration from his backpack and begins to eat a few pieces of fruit.
    "Good food."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

The boggard says something to you in his language. You get the picture that he doesn't understand what your saying. Still he's at least willing to poke through the rations you left. He picks up the food and retreats, leaving the bottle untouched. From the side of his slurk, he begins picking out a few morsels.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel finishes his food and tries to speak to the Boggart in the other languages he speaks: Hallit, Skald and Elvish.
    His psi crystal is not yet ready to use telepathy, so he tries one last time, very slowly and very carefully to describe that he is not here to hurt him.

One way or the other, Vindariel leaves again, noting in his book that he should come back when he has a way of communication with the Boggart.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

If the boggard's common was lacking, any other language you tried wasn't understood in the slightest. You get the impression that the words the boggard knows are few indeed. Still, he looks relieved when you finally choose to leave.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Making his way out of the bog, Vindariel decides to leave it at that for now. It is clear that the Boggard just wants to be left alone. An occasional visit will be much better to mellow him than any persistent presence.

Speaking of which, he notes the remains of the settlement in his map and continues to chart the area, before moving eastward again.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception
    (1d20)[14]+3
    (1d20)[2]+6

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

As you make your way eastward, you come across a small clearing. In this clearing is a fallen pine tree, its branches forming a natural shelter. For what kind of beast, you aren't immediately aware, but the shattered and chewed bones makes it seem like it is something not too friendly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d100)[82]

Did I give you the quest for Tuskgutter's head? I feel as if it were something I have forgotten.

Hex explored

Terrain: Forest
    Features: Boggart Lair

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah it was on the notice board at Oleg's
    I'll take 20 on the stealth check if possible. Otherwise I'll just wear my astral skin and hide normally:
    (1d20)[15]+3

Vindariel takes a close look around and comes to the conclusion that some kind of omnivore lives here. With that knowledge, he stays and lies in wait for whatever monster it is to come back.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Perception (1d20+12)[30]

I'm fine with taking 20 to hide yourself, as you had plenty of time to do so.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

You go great lengths to hide your presence, then you lie down and wait. And wait you do, for several hours. Finally, you here twigs snap and bushes shake as the giant boar pushes its way through the underbrush. Just before it walks into your ambush, it snorts and sniffs at the ground. It's gaze settles on you. You have been detected!

Show
    Roll initiative!

(1d20+4)[14]

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Oh, oh.
    Ini
    (1d20)[13]+7

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel notices the beast had noticed him - but luckily he is the first to recover from this surprise.
    With a moments concentration his armor formed around him, leaving him just enough time to try and overpower the mind of this simple creature

Spoiler
    Show

Move action: Astral Suit on
    Standard action: Emphatic Connection

Will save DC 15 to make the boar my friend

Psi Reserves 25/28

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-11-05 at 02:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Will Save
    Show
    (1d20+2)[12]

Filler text filler text filler text

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

The wild pig, which seemed like it was ready to charge at you a moment ago, is now completely under the influence of your magic.

Show
    I'd usually take a moment to describe how it acts now, but I honestly don't know much about hog behavior. Sorry!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

The hog looks around bewildered, snuffles and moves slowly towards Vindariel.
    Vindariel looks down with a bit of pity in his eyes. After all, it's a living, feeling creature that only wants to live according to its nature. Sadly, that is the nature of a killer and brute.

And with a mix of sadness and resolution he says: "That will do pig. Go to sleep now."
    And with another effort of will he tweaks the mind of the hog to fall asleep.
    "I'll try to make this as quick and painless as possible."

Taking a moment to increase his size and strength, he lines up a precise, decapitating blow.

Spoiler
    Show

Manifesting Slumber on the hog - as my friend it should not resist to go to sleep next to me
    After that I use Metamorphosis to increase my size

followed by a coup de grace with
    (6d6)[18]+28 damage

Psi Reserves: 23/28

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

With one clean strike, you lop of the boar's head. It dies immediately, backstabbed and betrayed by the first man it thought of as a friend.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Silencing his nagging conscience, Vindariel packs up the head and dresses the carcass as far as possible.
    After that he makes his way quickly towards Oleg's post, before the head becomes unrecognizable or the meat spoils.

On the way he ponders why killing those bandits had less of an impact than slaughtering a pig. But soon he has to concentrate on his surroundings so much that the thought leaves his mind unprocessed.

Spoiler
    Show

Despite it being an unfair fight - how much XP was Tuskgutter worth?

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

You arrive back at the trading post in good time, where you trade the head of the boar for the promised reward. Oleg also offer to buy the carcass off you for 2gp, or preserve it for rations.

Show
    1,200xp for the boar, 100xp for exploring the tile

Terrain: Forest
    Features: Tuskgutter's Lair

You are given 6 +1 Animal Bane Arrows and a masterwork longbow. You can sell the body for the 2gp, or buy 10 rations for half price.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-11-06 at 02:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'll take the cheaper rations

Perception:
    Vindariel (1d20)[18]+3
    Crystal (1d20)[1]+6

Vindariel enjoys the short stay at Oleg's - he even finds time to tell a bit about what he found out so far and make a copy of his journal, that he entrusts Svetlana's care - just in case something happens to him.

After another bath and re-provisioning he returns south, keeping out of the woods, so he can make up a bit of time. Once he reaches the quadrant south of the bandit camp, he lessens the pace once more.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Moving around the perimeter of the forest, you soon arrive at the Thorn river. You follow it for a time as it winds through the hilly terrain to the south east. The further you go, the more creeks and small streams feed the waterway until the river actually becomes large enough to be called such. At one point, between a 20 foot deep gulch is a rope bridge. It seems quite old and weathered. You not a few missing steps along the way. You're not completely sure the bridge can support you, and your horse would just be chancing it. Still, there are few good places to ford the river in this area. You have plenty of time to go around now, but the bridge is still worth noting for the future.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel takes his time to examine the bridge. Step by step he uses his astral repair ability to turn the bridge back into prime condition. Still, taking a horse over it might be too risky, so he continues his mapping, before moving on to the east.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

The bridge sways and groans as you fix it, but after treating the rotting wooden steps and the decaying rope, you get it to the point where it may be usable. Your confidant you can now cross it safely, though even getting your horse onto it will pose an entirely new set of problems.

Off in the distance, you spot a giant tree from miles away. Coming closer, you see it is an old sycamore barely clinging on to life.

Show
    Terrain: Hills
    Features: Repaired Rope Bridge

Role perception for me please.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Perception
    Vindariel (1d20)[3]+3
    Crystal (1d20)[19]+6

By now, Vindariel is vary of any larger landmark. He dismounts and moves carefully towards the lone tree.