New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast

Thread: King Maker Solo

1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: King Maker Solo

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Where on the map are you right now?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

You are able to see into the area sheltered by the stone structure overhead. Though one corner of the room is out of sight, you can make out two of the bandits waiting for you with swords in hand from your position. In addition, one especially dangerous man stands framed in light from a lone campfire, flanked by the other two. They don't notice your quick peek into the room.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[8]

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-11-21 at 04:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel plays with the thought of using the entangling power again, but he is impatient and also knows that there are limits to his mental powers. So he decides to deal with this through a simple shock-and-awe tactic: Slowing his personal time, he charges the two men in front of the third and vanishing again.

Spoiler
    Show

I am spending a Powerpoint to use the Augment Suit ability, creating a customization point for four rounds. The one point I spend on Additional Maneuvers and gain the Reactive Reversion boost:

Spoiler: Reactive Reversion
    Show
    Discipline: Sleeping Goddess (Boost)[ teleportation]; Level: 2
    Initiation Action: 1 swift action
    Range: personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round (see text)
    DESCRIPTION

You create a spiritual waypoint tied to your mind and body, allowing you to return to it in an instant for a short time. When you initiate this boost, mark your current location. You may instead teleport back to the marked space as a free action, even if it isn’t your turn, any time during the next round. Using this ability ends this boost. If your former space is occupied, you are instead teleported to the nearest unoccupied space. If you use this ability to move out of the reach or range of an attack, the attack is negated.
    Augment: You can augment this maneuver in one or more of the following ways:
    • For every 2 power points you spend, the effect of this boost lasts an additional round.
    • For every 2 power points you spend, you can teleport to the marked space one additional time before ending this boost.

After that, I charge the right goon with Cleave and Power Attack

(1d20)[9]+10 (5d6)[20]+17
    If successful, activate Cleave to hit the other guy as well
    (1d20)[15]+10 (5d6)[16]+17

After that, I teleport back out of sight before they can flank or hit me.

Psi Reserves: 19/42

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-11-21 at 05:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

"There!" One of the men shout as you charge into the room. You hear footsteps behind you as you dash forward, it seems like some of the bandits were waiting in ambush after all. Still, you move undaunted, slaying two of the men with a single, clean cut before blinking out of the room. From your position outside, you can hear the confusion and turmoil inside.

"Is he invisible?"
    "Did he teleport?"
    "What do we do, Dovan?"

A new voice swears loudly before giving orders. "You, wake Akiros. You, get ready to let Beaky out. Everyone else, rally in the armory."

"Yes, sir!"
    The remaining bandits chime.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

Knowing that he can keep the concentration on this power only for a short time, Vindariel refocuses to regain the use of the power.
    Then, he does it again, only this time without charging in, but simply moving in to take in the scene and then trying to take out another two bandits.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard action to regain a single Maneuver.
    Next round: Move action to go in, looking for a cluster of bandits.
    I'm ready to use Cleave and Rapid Strike for a total of 3 attacks
    This time I'll let one of the bandits get close to me to trigger an opportunity attack, before blinking out again.

(1d20)[9]+10 (5d6)[21]+11
    Rapid Strike
    (1d20)[6]+10 (5d6)[21]+11
    Cleave
    (1d20)[11]+10 (5d6)[20]+11
    Opportunity Attack
    (1d20)[19]+10 (5d6)[15]+11

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Confirming Crit from Opportunity attack:
    (1d20)[9]+10 (5d6)[22]+11

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

You again charge into the room, taking down a man moving to the south and one of the two following Dovan over the rubble into the southeastern room.

"Do it! Do it now!" Dovan shouts as he retreats. You hear the sound of the gate to the immediate west grind open revealing Beaky, a large owlbear. The beast leaps into the central room with you, clawing open the unfortunate sod who was tasked with opening the cage. It's gaze comes to rest on you.

Show
    Cleave and rapid attack are both standard actions, and thus can't be combined. That being said, just using cleave is enough to get two hits in.

Show
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-11-21 at 06:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Duly noted.
    Vindariel lets the maneuver teleport him outside again.
    With his new action, he'll take to the air and move upward and to the east, so he is outside the reach of the owlbear and with a standard action tries again for emphatic connection for 3 Psi Points
    Will DC 15

Vindariel stayed only a split second longer before the temporal shift effect brought him back outside to his starting point. He felt the imbued power in his armor fade, but the investment had been worth it: He had avoided being hit and stayed out of the ambush. But just in case the Owlbear could sense him, he wanted to make sure this living weapon couldn't be turned against him:

Rising into the air and over to the opening, he again tried to establish a mental connection, as he had done with the wild boar before.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Will save: (1d20+2)[9]

You feel the connection established, removing another threat in the keep. The beast is still quite upset about being locked up, however, and chases the bandits over the rubble. If it were not for their head start, at least one of them would surely have been mauled. Instead Dovan and the bandit following him get back on flat, stable ground and take off towards the ramp to their north.

Show
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-11-22 at 12:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel moved quickly to intercept the remaining bandit trying to follow Dovan, using his ability to accelerate to ridiculous speeds.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift action: Time Skitter

Move to bandit following davon, use Rapid Strike

(1d20)[18]+11 (5d6)[19]+11
    and
    (1d20)[6]+11 (5d6)[14]+11

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

You cut deep into the bandit's flesh, but the killing blow misses by a hair. The man staggers back before attempting to fend you off with his own weapon. This leaves him as easy prey for the owlbear, however. Dovan doesn't seem to mind leaving the man to his fate, instead climbing up the ramp and going to the walkway. It's at this time the door in the southern part of the main room is thrown open.

"What is going on out here!" Shouts the newcomer, trampling over the corpse of one of the slain bandits. He wears armor formed from thick hides and wears an antlered skull of a stag as a helmet, obscuring his face. He is followed by another man who wears polished and well maintained armor which bare holy symbols that mark him as a paladin of Erastil. Though why a paladin would be serving the stag lord is beyond you.

Show
    Bandit attacks you: (1d20+9)[29] (1d8+5)[11]
    Owlbear attacks Bandit: (1d20+8)[12] (1d6+4)[10] +grab (1d20+14)[17]
    (1d20+8)[26] (1d6+4)[8] +grab (1d20+14)[17]

The bandit gets a luck strike on you, but immediately gets smacked by the owlbear. He's still barely alive, and pulls away from the creature.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-11-22 at 05:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Using the fact that the owlbear seems to have accepted him as a friend while fighting his enemy, Vindariel switches targets immediately.
    This new opponent has to be the Staglord. But the paladin doesn't fit - either it's a fallen one or the servant of dark deity.

Still, the law must be uphold and the man's question deserves an answer. Calling mentally to his crystal to provide him with good lines he says:

"Bandit, known as "The Staglord", I am charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne to strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior.
    The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope.

I give you and your man one chance to repent your former actions and submit to the law. If you and your men stand down I will grant you leniency.
    Anyone who resists this lawful arrest will be executed by me on the spot.

What do you answer?"

For good measure he sends out a wave of psychic energy to cow the people around him.

Spoiler
    Show

Spending 5 Psi Points to use Demoralize
    and create a 40ft. radius with a Will DC 17 to resist

I'm using Diplomacy, getting teamwork help from my crystal

Teamwork DC 10
    (1d20)[8]+1

Diplomacy
    (1d20)[7]+2

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-11-23 at 06:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

The Stag Lord answers with an arrow meant for your heart. It seems he's not going to even consider surrender. The paladin moves around the perimeter of the room, seemingly wary about joining the fray. Dovan ducks out of sight somewhere on the roof, either looking to slip away or stab you in the back when you least suspect it.

As this happens, the last low ranking bandit is busy fleeing from the owlbear, though he can't quite outmaneuver the raging animal.

Show
    Will saves:
    near dead bandit: (1d20+2)[22]
    Dovan: (1d20)[12]
    The stag lord (1d20+1)[4]
    Paladin (1d20+8)[18]

Dovan stealth: (1d20+11)[19] (-2 on a failed save)
    owlbear gets a AoO: (1d20+8)[10] (1d6+4)[6]
    SL attacks. Because of a magical effect, you are considered to be flatfooted vs this attack: (1d20+8)[10] (-2 on a failed save) (1d8+5)[7]+(3d6)[10]

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Perception to keep track of Dovan:
    Crystal: (1d20)[4]+7
    Vindariel: (1d20)[10]+7

Charging Staglord with Power Attack (leaving 5ft distance between me and the SL):
    (1d20)[19]+9 (5d6)[22]+17 (in case of crit:(1d20)[18]+9 (5d6)[14]+17)

Swift action: If I hit, I trigger Energy Spark against Dovan (Should I be able to perceive him)
    Ranged Touch Attack
    (1d20)[1]+7 (5d6)[17] (3d6 from the maneuer 2d6 from the stance)

"As you wish."
    With the speed of a lightning strike, Vindariel surges forward, static energy building up a long his blade, culminating in a thunderous hit against the self declared Stag Lord.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-11-24 at 05:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

You cut deeply into the bandit lord, and his clothes are soon stained in blood from the injury. Your bolt of energy strikes the stone ceiling instead of Dovan, but it makes him reconsider his tactics. He drops down to the ground floor and charges your exposed back. The ex-paladin also steps in, and bashes his shield into the face of the charging Dovan.

"Akiros, you bloody traitor!" Dovan shouts, stepping back. "That's the last mistake you'll ever make!"
    Akiros, for his part, is much more reserved in his speech. "My only mistake was coming here."
    "I've been looking forward to killing you. Die, pig!"

With Dovan and Akiros locked in combat and the only other bandit present running for his life from the owlbear, you can set your sights on the Stag Lord. It's just you and him.

He takes a step back to unleash another arrow at you.

Show
    5' step and an attack for which you are considered to be flat footed.

(1d20+15)[24] (1d8+5)[7]+(3d6)[14]

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Wow, did that guy just take 70 damage to the face and is still standing? (Great Sword crits on 19-20)
    I think that would trigger the massive damage Fort safe - unless of course he has some form of fortification to negate the crit.
    (also why does he suddenly sport +15 instead of +8? Has he activated magic/a magic device that could be discerned with a Spellcraft check?

Anyway, Vindariel takes 18 damage, and heals 2 of them at the start of his round, so HP is 28/44

Attacking without Power Attack:
    (1d20)[10]+11 (5d6)[17]+11 (in case of crit: (1d20)[18]+11 (5d6)[26]+11)

Spellcraft check:
    (1d20)[2]+12

Vindariel feels the arrow penetrate even before he can react. Still, there is nothing to it, moving forward into close combat, he grits his teeth and slashes once more his sword at the man's head.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-11-24 at 02:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Massive damage is an optional rule I usually don't use. I don't like it because at higher levels there are monsters able to throw 50 points of damage out every attack, making every one save or die. The stag lord, being the final boss of the book has both a boat load of HP and the Diehard feat, though that's not helping him anymore. With your spellcraft check, you are able to determine that he activated a magical item (the helm) before his last attack. The change from +8 to +15 was either a typo or me misreading the stat block, however.

The Stag Lord, already bleeding heavily from your first attack, cannot withstand a second blow and drops to the ground. His stag skull helm falls from his head, revealing a face scarred by fire and acid.

"Dad... Why, dad?" He murmurs with his final breath as a single tear rolls from his eye.

Behind you the fight ends between Akiros and Dovan, with the latter turning to flee after seeing his lord slain. Without your intervention, he will likely get away. In the background, you can still hear the owlbear chasing the last bandit.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel has no time to ponder about the meaning of the man's last words. There are bandits to execute.
    Still filled with the temporal energies, Vindariel speeds after the fleeing Dovan, flying the most direct path. The charge is brutal and Vindariel hopes it will cause a swift end to the man.

Spoiler
    Show

PA Charge
    [roll]1d20[roll]+9 damage (5d6)[12]+17 (in case of crit: [roll]1d20[roll]+9 damage (5d6)[24]+17)

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[20]+9
    (1d20)[17]+9

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Like a bat out of hell, you dash after the man taking advantage of your flight abilities to maneuver around walls and obstacles until you are able to deliver your strike. And a debilitating strike it is, cleaving Dovan from waist to his opposite shoulder.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel takes a moment to get his bearings and to regain a portion of his spend power. Looking directly at the paladin that seems to have been clever enough to make the right decision he says:
    "I commend you for making the right decision. Because it is our choices that define us. Even if you have made wrong ones before, you can become a better man by choosing better. Now chose again and help me to finish this. I am looking in particular for Falgrim Sneeg, as he is not only a bandit but also a traitor to his fellow soldiers.

What do you say?"

Spoiler
    Show

Full round action to regain maneuvers

Heal another 2 points of damage

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thanks. I needed a lecture on how to be a good person. Falgrim is either dead or..."

"Get this thing away from me!" Shouts a man as he runs through the room you're in, panting and with an owlbear in tow.

"There his is." Akiros states plainly, readying his sword against the hybrid.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Calling out to the owlbear, Vindariel tries to calm the animal, asking his psi crystal for guidance
    Spoiler
    Show

Aid another from Psi crystal

(1d20)[12]

Animal Handling

(1d20)[13]+2(if aid another is successful)

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

You are able to calm the animal to the point where it ceases it's attack, though it continues hoot-roaring at the bleeding bandit. Falgrim, for his part, has collapsed on the ground, breathing heavily and clutching his injuries. He definitely doesn't seem to be in fighting condition.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

"Good boy." Vindariel pats the owlbear gently and scratches it beneath its beak. "Go to sleep now."

He takes care to disarm Falgrim and asks the Paladin to help him bandage his wounds: "This one has to stay alive.
    For the moment it looks like all immediate threats are taken care of.
    Before we go into detail about how you ended up here, is there anyone else down there that I need to take care off first?
    I am reluctant to kill this owlbear - I had to put down a few too many animals by now."

When Falgrim is bandaged, Vindariel takes care to bind his arms and legs as well to prevent him from fleeing.

Spoiler
    Show

3 Psi Points to use Slumber on the Owlbear - unresisted since it considers me its friend

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Akiros helps bandage and bind Falgrim, much to the other man's loathing. "Things to take care of here? Most would loot the place. You should probably take care of the man in the cellar also, unless you just want to let him starve. Most of the 'earning' are kept down there anyway. The hatch is hidden in the pig roast room." He then turns to the sleeping owlbear. "If you don't want to kill it, just leave the gate open and let it find it's own way home."

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

"Thanks, that is probably a good idea. Keep an Eye on Falgrim - best take him with you to the roof, so you are out of the way of the owlbear while I take care of the gate and the man in the cellar."

Vindariel does as he says and opens the gate before waking up the owlbear and leading it out.

That done, Vindariel goes to search for the loot room and it's guardian.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception check: Using Synesthet for a boost:

Vindariel (1d20)[20]+11
    Crystal (1d20)[10]+11

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

You find the trapdoor almost immediately and descend into the cellar. This room feels miserably damp, and greasy swaths of mold cake the carved stone walls and floor. The ceiling fifteen feet overhead is thick with cobwebs. Three archways in the walls open into other rooms, all of which are filled with mounds of crates, furs, sacks, weapons, and other obviously stolen loot. You don't see the man Akiros was referring to, however.

Show

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel calls out: "The Staglord is dead. Come out and do not resist and you may find mercy. Attack and you will find your doom."

Vindariel keeps careful watch while he moves from room to room, thankful that the ceiling is so high, so he can keep up his large form and with it it's healing effect

Spoiler
    Show

Perception
    Crystal (1d20)[13]+11
    Vindariel (1d20)[3] +11

Just in case there is an attack
    Ini: (1d20)[6]+6