New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: King Maker Solo

1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: King Maker Solo

Vindariel swiftly follows the small Kobold, getting tail end of the man's speech.

A cold expression settles on his face. Vindariel follows the philosophy that the best course of action life is to gain the most good with the least harm. Yet, behavior like this man displays is apt to bring only harm without any good.

Slowly he turns to Mikmek: "What can you tell me about this man? Who is he? When did he come to town? What else has he said?"

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

"He came in a day after you left. Started talkin' like that right away. Lotsa people listen, many not happy." A glance at the crowd confirms that many there seem genuinely interested in the man's opinions. "He be called Grigori, been staying at the inn. Been trying to find a way to get rid of him, but can't do nothin' without making his lies seem true."

Spoiler
    Show
    Because of Grigori, some of the citizens have begun to doubt your government. Unrest has increased by 2.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

"That sounds like someone is trying to sabotage our new state. I'll take care of the man."

Spending a moment to expand his mental faculties, Vindariel proceeds to concentrate on the man's mind, forming a connection between him and himself, engendering feelings of friendship.

Spoiler
    Show

Spending 7 PP and expending psionic focus and manifesting Animal Affinity (Int and Cha) for a +6 to Int and Cha

Spending 7 PP to manifest Emphatic Connection
    Will Save DC 21

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2018-01-31 at 04:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite your effort, your spell comes just shy of charming Grigori. Luckily, he seems to lack any kind of formal training in the magical arts, and is unable to recognize your spell for what it is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save (1d20+4)[21]
    Last edited by Eonn; 2018-02-01 at 12:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Undeterred, Vindariel keeps his concentration, expending more psionic energy to achieve his goal.

Spoiler
    Show

Try, try again
    Emphatic Connection DC 21 Will Save

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

The man stumbles over his words as your magic takes hold, eventually coming to a pause. As the crowds calls for him to continue, a look of genuine fear and confusion cross his face.

"I am sorry, my friends, but... I must retire for the evening. I know, I know, but we'll meet again tomorrow. Count on it!"

He is quick to scurry away, leaving the somewhat agitated crowd behind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+4)[8]
    Last edited by Eonn; 2018-02-02 at 08:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

With quick steps, Vindariel moves around the crowd, noticing those who are all to ready to listen to the agitator.
    He follows Grigori to his Inn, moving in on him: "Hi Grigori, do you have a minute to talk with me? I'm a bit concerned about your safety."
    Once they are somewhere more private he says: "Grigori, my friend, what you do is very dangerous. Who told you to come here and talk to the masses?"

Spoiler
    Show

In case an opposed Charisma test is necessary:

(1d20)[11]+3

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well of course." He replies in just over a whisper. "I didn't come here thinking they'd be no risk involved. The whole regions infested with thieves, barbarians and trolls, at least if the rumors are to be believed. Still, I am here under my own volition. Still, I am a humble servant of the people, and the people must know that their leader is exposing them of undo risk." Grigori takes a moment to recompose himself. "Now you seem to know my name, but I don't believe we've been antiquated. What's your name?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma: (1d20+4)[24]
    Last edited by Eonn; 2018-02-03 at 10:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

"You can call me Vini. I'd like to work a supernatural effect on you, so you won't get killed. For that to work you have to relax and not resist. Ok?"

Spoiler
    Show

Manifesting Ego Whip with 7 PP on the man
    (2d4)[7] Charisma damage will hopefully make the man more pliable - especially if he forgoes his will save vs. 21 DC

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've given you slack with the use of your charm but I will have to say that as an obviously harmful effect, your ego whip would break the charm. He would loose his save to resist, however, as he doesn't know what will happen until it takes effect and has no reason not to trust you at this point. Do you still want to go through with this course of action?

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Sure, I assume we are somewhere secluded and I can win the ini to subdue him
    If I win, I'll hit him with another Ego Whip
    Ini
    (1d20)[5]+7

Ego Whip (2d4)[4] DC 21

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

The rotund man clutches his head, you psionic magic giving him the worst headache he's ever had. He looks at you, betrayed, but he just cannot find the words to voice his thoughts. Instead he flinches as his mind is blasted a second time before he can react, but when he does...

"Help, help! Guards! He's trying to kill me!" He screams. Though you may be alone in the inn room now, it's very likely that someone else heard his call for help. You don't have time to think on it for long, however, as he tries to push past you to get to the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[4]
    Will Save (for the second ego whip): (1d20+4)[9]
    Last edited by Eonn; 2018-02-05 at 09:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Grigori is going to overrun you, which provokes an AoO if you wish to physically harm him

(1d20+4)[12] vs your CMD

If he beats you, he pushes his war past you, leaves to room and begins fleeing down the hall towards the stairs which lead to the (usually populated) main floor of the inn. If he beats you by 5 or more,
    you're knocked prone.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'm blocking the door, but I won't attack the man.
    Instead I'm hitting him with another ego whip for (2d4)[3]
    before calling the guards myself.

He'll have a hard time to convince anyone of anything with that high a charisma penalty

Vindariel blockes the man's escape attempt, but doesn't hurt him. Instead he calls out himself: "Guards to me. A spy and traitor tried to attack me."
    Vindariel is sure that Mikmek isn't far and probably has listened at the door anyway. Having already reduced the man's ability to convince others, he hits him a bit more with the same with a good chance of turning him catatonic.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2018-02-06 at 06:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

The man, whose words now lurched and spilled out of his mouth in such a manner that a drunkard would look elegant next to him, tries to talk down the guards who come spilling into the room. Even if he could express himself unhindered, he is just an outsider and you are a king. Grigori is placed in manacles and lead off as soon as you give the word. Tak, too, is at your side. He gives a quick tug on your shirt to make sure he has your attention.

"People here chatter idly. Words will go around about Grigori's arrest, most will know tomorrow. Your people will expect him given a trial, even though a swift knife in the back would be easier." He shrugs. "Humans are weird in many ways. What will you have me do?"

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

"We are following the law - a public trial will hopefully calm down the people and solve this problem. For the moment I took his ability to talk his way out of things. That should give us a certain advantage."

Vindariel makes sure that the man is questioned in detail while his silver tongue is still leaden, so that they learn why the man is causing trouble here.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Grigori is jailed. By your orders, he is prepared for interrogation not long after.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make an intimidate check if you want to take charge of the interrogation yourself, otherwise make a check on behalf of your royal enforcer (Or remind me who you have assigned to that roll so I can look up their stats and roll it.)

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'll do some preparations first:
    Per Psychic Reformation I'll redeploy 8 skill points to Intimidate
    I remanifest +6 to Charisma.

I'm using Demoralize on Grigori to reduce his defenses Will Save DC 21
    (1d20)[11]+4
    So he has -2 to saves and skill checks as he is shaken

Intimidate
    (1d20)[13]+11

Taking a few minutes to prepare, Vindariel uses his powers to give him the ability to ask the hard hitting questions necessary

Vindariel personally sees to the interrogation - and makes sure that an impartial witness is present. And just to give him another bit of edge, he instills profound dread in Grigory, to encourage him to be truthful.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2018-02-08 at 09:09 AM.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

Your efforts at extracting information would get even career criminals talking quickly. Yet here, unfortunately, the fruits of your effort are sparce indeed. You learn that he is in fact trying to oust your rule, and that he was hired by "parties interested in seeing you little nation fall," yet you learn little beyond that. You get the hunch that Grigori is himself ignorant of the reasons he was hired to harass you. As he quickly talks when physically threatened, it is also likely that he isn't a trained agent, just a professional rabble-rouser.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

Confident to have a solid case, Vindariel has his people assemble a trial, asking the high priest to preside as judge.
    He is concerned about this kind of professional sabotage, but as long as he can make it clear to his citizens, that they were almost manipulated by a foreign power, he hopes to undo the damage.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Can you make a country loyalty check for me? Your successful interrogation gives you +4. I'll describe what happens after.

I also want to apologize for missing days of posting recently. I have started a new job, so I have much less free time than I used to.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Loyalty: (1d20)[7]+16

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

Grigori is brought before a judge the following day. The entire event was quite the spectacle, as besides a few petty crimes (and the werewolf incident) your nation has yet to have any crimes of this magnitude. Whatever happened today was sure to set precedent for any future cases.

The day began with Grigori and a selection of witnesses, both from the general public who had witnessed the man's speech, and from those present during the interrogation, being sworn to the truth in the name of Erastil. The crimes against the bard are named, and Grigori is given the floor to plea his case. Both he and those prosecuting him take turns calling forth witnesses and arguing over the nature of (often lacking) laws. Even with the witnesses during his interrogation, the man's silver tongue keeps the session going on and on.

It is many hours later when he is found guilty of an extreme offence. The only question left is what punishment awaits him. Words and rumors now act against Grigori, tainting any good faith he may have built up with your people. The public will support any punishment you deem fit, up to and including death.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel deliberates a bit about the decision. Girgori is clearly a talented man, who could be of use to the fletching nation.
    But he is also a dangerous, hard to control weapon. And in the long run a drastic message to all would be rebel rousers might be the better course of action.

With a simple message he decrees that Grigori's actions are to be seen as an act of war from irregular combatants. There is only one punishment for that: Beheading, followed by taring of the head and putting it on a pike outside the city limits.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Your will is done. By sundown, Grigori's head is on display for all who enter your town. By tomorrow, the man will be old news. As the day's events wind down, the master jailer serving under your Royal Enforcer seeks you out with a question.

Normally, the possessions of criminal are held until their release unless it is illegal or stolen. Grigori is unlikely to return to claim his belongings, several of which are quite valuable, so the jailer wishes to know what you want done with them. Other than this, the events surrounding Grigori seems to be resolved.

Spoiler
    Show
    You get 1,600xp for defeating Grigori in combat, and another 1,600xp for resolving the issue without causing any further harm to your nation. You also have some loot to find a home for:

-potion of cure light wounds
    -potion of cure moderate wounds
    -potion of undetectable alignment (x2)
    -scroll of scare
    -scroll of sound burst
    -a bag of caltrops
    -+1 chain shirt
    -masterwork buckler
    -+1 rapier
    -shortbow w/ 20 arrows
    -132gp

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

That done, Vindariel takes the time to reform his abilities. The chainshirt seems to be useful, so he exchanges it for his old armor. After resting a bit, he goes out to claim the bounty for the slain worg and checking the board for more bounties.
    Finally he visits Bokken to talk to him about the mad man and show him the stuff the man had.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

You are issued the bounty of 1,200gp for slaying Howl. There are several more posters up.

-A forest drake seems to be causing issues in the southern Narlmarches. A bounty of 1,200gp will be given to the first one to return to town with a forest drake's head.
    -An alchemist seeks a supply of troll's blood. He is willing to give 1,200gp worth of potions for a waterskin full of the stuff.
    -A herbalist needs a supply of shambling mound sap to aid in cultivating herbs. They are paying 600gp for the sap from one shambling mound, as well as 3 potions of cure moderate wounds.
    -A boy by the name of Tig Tannerson has been missing for several days. The notice, written by his distraught parents, note that he was likely wandering south along the rivers. Unfortunately, the parents cannot spare enough money for a worthwhile reward.
    -Finally, a local fisherman is complaining of a giant turtle which moved into his secret fishing hole. The details remind you strongly of the one you have already encountered and dispatched. You should see Arven the fisherman about the job, and reward.

Bokken pokes through the things you have brought until he comes upon the locket. His face as he opens it is indescribable. He promptly shuts it, clutching it close to his chest, and begins to weep.

"Bless you! How did you find this?"

28. - Top - End - #808
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel takes note of all those bounties - especially about the young boy, he'll be his priority when he leaves again - before he visits Bokken.
    To the man's question he answers: "I found it with the belongings of a raving mad man that tried to ambush me with a trained mountain lion. I knocked him out and brought him to a healer for treatment. I presumed that this man might be your brother, according to the story you told me."

After Bokken, Vindariel visits the fisherman to tell him about the turtle's death.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

"Bastard is. Watch him! He'll stab ye' in the groin if you give 'em the chance!" He looks again into the locket. "I can remember her face again... I don't have enough coin to reward you with for finding this for me. I hope that you'll accept potions instead."

You track the fisherman to the local inn, where he is drinking with a small group of people. He is seated with his back to you, so he continues his story as you approach. "No, I swear on me life! A turtle, as big as yer mum just came out of teh water and took a bit out of me boat!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bokken is willing to give you 300gp for the locket, or 900gp in your choice of potions.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2018-02-15 at 10:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

"I'll be happy enough to use some of your potions. I'll drop of a list. Have a good one Bokken."
    Vindariel leaves to visit the fisher man.

"Good evening Sir. I can corroborate your story, having slain the beast you describe." Vindariel takes out a piece of the turtle's shell as prove.
    "Took quite a bit of lightning to get the bastard to give up."

Spoiler
    Show

I'll take two See Invisibility potions
    and two Protection from Evil potions.