Thread: King Maker Solo

1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: King Maker Solo

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge History:

(1d20)[20]+9

Vindariel takes a good look at the books and thinks. He is sure he has heard the name Vordakai somwhere before. The Viola he leaves behind, having no talent for music.
    The other books join those already in his bag of holding.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2019-01-05 at 05:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite recalling heard the name somewhere before, you can't recall any context about it at all, or even if what you're remembering is actually the same as this. (Check was DC 40)

With the inn thoroughly explored, you head to the next building. A small church stands here, its whitewashed walls and stained glass windows gleaming in the sun. The bow symbol of Erastil shines like a beacon above the doors. Behind it on one side sits a neatly kept parsonage, and on the other a low hill holds the beginnings of a small cemetery. One of the graves is still fresh.

The place looks relatively humble, furnished by wooden pews and a small alter. Despite this, even this holy place has been looted.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception please! And sorry for my absence, I really don't have an excuse.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I thought a natural 20 was a success no matter what.

But yeah, forgot to make perception checks

Vindariel (1d20)[9]+16
    Crystal (1d20)[3]+16

As is routine by now, Vindariel takes a very careful look around to see if there are any clues as to what exactly happened here.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    No, that's only for attack rolls. Normally I might hand wave it on a nat 20 roll, but this is an incredibly esoteric piece of knowledge that people wouldn't know unless they've spend time studying the local history, or maybe had a library at their disposal. Additionally, what you learn with it isn't all that important anyways.

While looking around the church, you notice a small drawer recessed in the back other alter. Opening it, you find something the looters seem to have missed. A bundle of scrolls, tied together with a ribbon and a tag reading "For Emergencies".

Identifying the scrolls isn't hard for you, should you choose to examine them. The spells they contain are as follows:

-3x Cure Serious Wounds
    -3x Remove Paralysis
    -Restoration
    -Break Enchantment
    -Breath of Life
    -Raise Dead

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, this kind of looks like an emergency." Vindariel mumbles to himself, before pocketing the scrolls. Especially the raise dead scroll might come in handy.

After making sure that the church has nothing more to offer, he carries on to the next building.

Spoiler
    Show

To L14:

Perception:

V: (1d20)[11]+16
    C: (1d20)[15]+16

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

This cottage has cheerful curtains in its windows. A number of wooden children’s toys lie abandoned in the front yard. Looking inside, this crowded house seems to belong to a weaver. A large loom takes up most of the space in the common room, along with large reels of thread.

You notice a half starved house cat watching you from its hiding place under the loom. It seems to be wary, though not aggressive.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel looks in his bag of holding for a bit of meat to share with the cat. If it lets him, he pets the poor creature and trys to see to its needs. "I'll take you back to Thorica to get you back into shape, little one."

While he pets the cat, he takes his time to familiarize himself with this place. Once done, he concentrates on his home chambers and steps through the folds of space.

Spoiler
    Show

Psychoporting home:

(1d00)[1]

With no incidence he steps into his chambers. After finding Magister Kane and entrusting him with both the cat and the books, briefing him on what he has found and requesting a search on who or what "Vordachai" was, he retires to have a bath, something nice to eat, followed by meditation to regain his mental strength.

After 8 hours he feels refreshed enough to return to his search.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2019-01-12 at 03:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Returning to place of departure

(1d100)[21]

HP 93/93
    PP 124/133

And just like that he is back at the colony, ready to search the next house.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2019-01-12 at 03:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Perception:

V: (1d20)[1]+16
    C: (1d20)[6]+16

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

The cat seems friendly enough once its fed.

Though you plan to depart fairly quickly after arrival, a messenger representing the Kitharodian Academy reaches you before you leave. They thank you for safely retrieving their books, sending with the messenger a small reward. They also offer gold for the return of Pendrod's research and personal affairs, presuming that he has perished.

Back at Varnhold, you approach a large storage building. This giant barn has both a cargo door on the front and a smaller door on the side where a lean-to abuts the structure. The strong odor of barley and other grains wafts through the seams in the clapboard walls. Immediately after entering, the floor of the building, flowing like a river, comes charging at you. An incessiant squeaking fills your ears as mice and rats as far as the eyes can see swarm you.

Show
    +400gp

Roll Initiative. (1d20+6)[22]

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well, ****.

Ini
    (1d20)[5]+8

When it's my turn:
    Energy Burst (Fire)

(10d6)[28]+10 damage
    Reflex Save DC 20

Vindariel is too shocked to react quickly enough. So instead he endures the tide within his protective armor and responds to the swarm as before to the crows: With a brilliant explosion of fire.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2019-01-12 at 08:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

The rodents swarm over you, biting and gnawing wherever the can. The filthy creatures leave many stinging wounds over your body before they are cleansed by your fire.

Show
    Damage: (4d6)[19]
    Can you make me 4 fortitude saves vs DC 12? Disease resistance/ immunities apply.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Fortitude Saves:

(1d20)[10]+11
    (1d20)[2]+11
    (1d20)[11]+11
    (1d20)[8]+11

Made it

HP 78/93
    PP 114/133

Switching my elemental stance to fire to gain fast healing and when I'm done I switch back to air.

Also: XP?

Vindariel looks disgusted at the charred remains. At least the grain didn't ignite. Just as well, he thinks as he alters the flow of the elements through him, allowing his wounds to heal and making him quite impervious to flame as well.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2019-01-14 at 01:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ogre in the Playground

You heal, all the damage the rodents have done to you in good time. Besides the charred husks of the mice and the grain they were feeding on, there is not much else here.

Show
    +3,600xp

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Perception:

V: (1d20)[2]+16
    C: (1d20)[7]+16

Moving on to L16

"Typically, just when I had a bath, I'm swarmed by rats." Vindariel leaves the building, looking for the next one that might be of interest.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

The sturdy wooden walls of this house have been staved in at several locations, and the heavy door has been battered down.

Even compared to the other shops and houses that you have been to in Varnhold, this one is in especially bad shape after the looting. Walls are busted in and floors are turned up, so there must have been something worth wild here. The being said, whatever it was has long since been cleared out.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel sighs at the destruction. It seems like the place was looted thoroughly.
    Carefully, he moves on to the next building which seems to have a palisade around it. So he takes to the air to close in from above.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception:

Vindariel: (1d20)[20]+16
    Crystal: (1d20)[18]+16

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

Perched atop a low hill, this triangular fortification looms over the town. A palisade of sharpened stakes leaves enough gaps for archers within to fire out upon the surrounding hillsides. The southern corners of the fort both have twin watch platforms, and the northern corner is anchored by a solid-looking blockhouse of sturdy timbers. A thin column of smoke drifts upward from a fire in the stockade’s compound.

Flying over the battlements, you see a number of posts seemingly manned, though most of the 'guards' on duty are simply constructed dummies. There does seem to be a real guard at the southwestern gate, as an alarm is raised as you levitate over the wall. A number of spriggans take up arms in the courtyard below, while the door on the blockhouse (The northern fortified building) slam shut.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel considers the situation and decides it's time to go to battle.

Going higher, he prepares himself, before heading down to meet the spriggan.

Spoiler
    Show

PP 114/133

3x Animal Affinity w/expended Psi Focus (STR, DEX, INT +6) 3x3 PP
    Force Screen 1 PP
    Touch Sight 5 PP
    Resist Toxin 3 PP
    Slip the Bonds 9 PP
    Metamorphosis (Augmented) 5 PP (+6 STR Size -6 DEX Size, Natural Armor +4, Fast Healing 3)
    Inevitable Strike 1 PP

Swift Action: Time Skitter
    Move Action: Get down into reach
    Standard Action: Sands of Time Tornado

Ini: (1d20)[5]+6

Power Attack on everyone in reach: (1d20)[3]+39, damage (8d6)[25]+43 (2d6 are electricity, 2d6 are from bane and 2d6 are from increased size); If crit: (1d20)[5]+43, damage (8d6)[28]+29

HP 93/93
    PP 86/133

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2019-01-19 at 11:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

You come cratering into the yard of the fortification, easily cutting down the two guards stationed outside and a quartet of trained wolves. Two more spriggans drunkenly stumble out of some kind of store room, and quickly meet their fate as well. The rest of the fae squatters seem to have locked themselves inside the blockhouse. Hidden behind arrow slits in the second floor of the fort, projectiles begin to wiz towards you.

Show
    (1d20+20)[30] (1d20+15)[23] (1d20+10)[15]
    (1d8+5)[13] (1d8+5)[12] (1d8+5)[13]

(1d20+20)[23] (1d20+15)[18] (1d20+10)[11]
    (1d8+5)[10] (1d8+5)[13] (1d8+5)[9]

+4,400xp

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Enough XP for a new level, but I'll not level up just yet.

Vindariel shrugges off the attacks and simply moves upwards to get out of the field of vision of the Fae. Once they can't shoot at him anymore, Vindariel takes a moment to regain his attack power while hovering over the roof.

With a loud and clear voice he calls: "Listen you filthy scavengers. You have despoiled this place and now you'll pay the price. I'll give you one chance and one chance only: Deliver me your leader and the rest of you can leave this place in peace. Otherwise I'll come in and murder every last one of you."

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no response from the dark-skinned fae. From above, you can see that the center tower of the blockhouse seems to have a trap door leading into the building proper. Able to fly as you are, it would seem as if there is a second way in, if you don't want to force your way in the front.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Mind Control against the first Spriggan to become visible.
    (Augmented to affect Fae)
    Will DC 22

Vindariel moves towards the hatch and opens it, looking down if there are any of the Spriggans in sight.

If there are, he tries to take over their mind. One by one.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Ogre in the Playground

The hatch reveals a ladder descending into the room below. On that ladder, looking quite surprised, is a spriggan on his way up to man the town you are now on. As second spriggan, as large as a horse, guards the room though it hasn't noticed you yet.

Show
    Will save for the spriggan on the ladder: (1d20+6)[24]

Roll initiative!
    Last edited by Eonn; 2019-01-24 at 03:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ini: (1d20)[3]+6

Power Attack: (1d20)[4]+19, damage (8d6)[28]+29; if crit: (1d20)[2]+19, damage (8d6)[30]+29
    Minute Hand: (1d20)[12]+17, damage (8d6)[23]+29; if crit: (1d20)[15]+17, damage (8d6)[32]+29
    Iterative Attack: (1d20)[11]+14, damage (8d6)[34]+29; if crit: (1d20)[2]+14, damage (8d6)[25]+29
    Haste: (1d20)[6]+19, damage (8d6)[22]+29; if crit: (1d20)[9]+19, damage (8d6)[33]+29

Trying to kill both spriggans with my large reach.

Seeing the two fey and realizing that he hadn't gained a connection to any of them, Vindariel decides to simply stab them with his huge sword.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ogre in the Playground

The spriggan on the ladder lets go, dropping hard to the floor but managing to fling a dagger towards you with some accuracy. His enlarged cohort, meanwhile, uses his height and the length of his hafted weapon to stab at you from the base of the ladder.

Show
    It would help if I rolled initiative for them as well. (1d20+4)[19] If the roll under you, they're dead before they can act. If not, they're dead after.

Thrown dagger: (1d20+18)[34] (1d3+4)[6]
    Enlarged Halbard: (1d20+19)[21] (2d8+10)[16]
    Last edited by Eonn; 2019-01-25 at 10:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Troll in the Playground

The two attacks of the fey creatures missed, while Vindariel's fey bane sword hits true.

Taking a moment to refocus his spend energy, Vindariel decides to end this quickly. Another refocusing causes electricity to crackle both within as without his body. A quick change to dial his form down a size so he can squeeze through the trapdoor.

Spoiler
    Show

Spend 1 PP to change size with Minor Metamorphosis to Large, active Element is electricity.

I'll go full defense, waiting for other Spriggans to come in and then discharge an Elemental Burst

(10d6)[41] damage DC 24 Reflex for half damage.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Reflex Saves
    Small: (1d20+10)[20]
    Large: (1d20+9)[11]

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

The smaller Spriggan shudders and drops to the floor, smoke rising from its smoldering skin. The larger one, though clearly wounded, has a bit more vitality left in it.

Show
    Halbard: (1d20+19)[37] Damage: (2d8+5)[14]

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Are those different spriggans from those I saw from above? Because I thought my earlier attacks had killed them.
    How many are there in the room with me right now?

If it's just one I'll use normal attacks(A), if there are more, I'll do a burst again (B).

(A)

Power Attack: (1d20)[16]+18, damage (7d6)[30]+26; if crit: (1d20)[11]+18, damage (7d6)[19]+26
    Iterative Attack: (1d20)[13]+13, damage (7d6)[26]+26; if crit: (10d6)[35]+13, damage (7d6)[23]+26
    Haste: (1d20)[4]+18, damage (7d6)[17]+26; if crit: (1d20)[12]+18, damage (7d6)[26]+26

(B)
    (10d6)[35] damage
    Reflex DC 24

Vindariel did not hessitate to end the creature just like the others of his ilk.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2019-01-31 at 03:33 PM.