New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: King Maker Solo

1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: King Maker Solo

Spoiler
    Show

I'll take the credit for now as I am planing to begin crafting when I reach Level 5
    Interrogate prisoner
    Aid another from chrystal (1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[16]-1 (Aberant Nature) + possible aid another bonus (+2)

If at all possible I'd take 20 on this check

Vindariel replied to Oleg: "No, I am sorry, I didn't, but I'll keep an eye open for it - in fact I'll ask the captive about it."

Before going to Kesten, Vindariel asked Svetlana: "Is there a problem or do you need something?"

After that, he goes to visit the prisoner.

"Hello my friend. I hope you have had a fitful sleep, because right now I need your full attention and cooperation. For your crimes of banditry you deserve the sword. But if you help me now without lying to me, there will be no need for your blood being spilled.
    And just so you know, I have another bandit here. One the crew that tried to rob this outpost. I'll ask him the same questions. If your stories differ, you'll both suffer for it.
    So:
    What can you tell me about the Stag Lord?
    Where is the Stag Lord?
    How many people does he have with him?
    How is his place secured?
    What else can you tell me about the bandits?
    Do you know anything about a stolen ring, taken from this outpost?"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, it's nothing that important, dear. I was just hoping to ask you to pick some moon radishes next time you go out. They grow wild in a clearing in the forest to the south. Oleg loves them, but it's too far for me to go, especially with the local thugs. Could you be a dear and fill a sack of them for me? I'd be happy to pay you for them- 250 gold coins, that's about 10 a pound." She then leans in and whispers to you. "You'll also get to sample what I make with them, too."

The bandit is thoroughly cowed, especially after your performance at the camp. In the end, he values his life much more than any loyalty he once held, and it was easy for you to get him talking.

"I don't know much about him! He runs everything from the fort down south, I've never even seen him. I don't know, a dozen? Maybe half that? Look, everyone's just trying to make dues. Most of us can't afford to play castle all day. It's an old mission, abandoned during one of the last attempts to settle the place. It has some solid walls and a few towers, but only moderately better than this place is. A ring? It was probably in one of those bags that those damn mites filched from us. It all looked like scrap, so we never bothered going after 'em."

The bandit swears he doesn't know anything else.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you Svetlana, I'll go there to map the place anyway. I'll make sure that I bring you a bunch of those radishes as well."

Vindariel nods as the prisoner tells his tale. "Congratulations, you avoided the sword."
    Once outside he looks for Kesten. When he finds him he tells him: "The prisoner talked and I promised him his blood wouldn't be spilled. I'll leave it to you if you think a bandit can be redeemed or if you'll give him the rope instead."

After all that, Vindariel enjoyed the simple pleasure of a hot meal, a warm bath and a temperate bed.

The next morning he saddled his horse again and rode to the south, this time taking his time to map the area and to look for those radishes.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Around the dinner table, you are surprised to see a new face. Another traveler, also staying at the trading post's bunkhouse for the time being. He introduces himself as Jhod Kavken, a traveling cleric and hunter who had heard of the exploration charter granted to you and came to offer assistance. He arrived at the trading post a few hours after you last left it. He offers use of his magic, if you're willing to help him.

If your willing to listen, he tells you of a particularly vivid dream, a message from his god Erastil. He recalls an overgrown temple in the midst of the forest, home to a bear that "wasn't quite right". If you could clear it out and bring him there to rededicate it, he'd offer to call upon his god for you at no charge besides that of particularly expensive reagents. He doesn't know where the temple is, however, only that it's to the south.

Besides the cleric's request, there is nothing more to keep you from your plans the next morning.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You still going to search for the radishes, as planned?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel listens to the priest and nods: "It will be an honor for me to be of service to you and your god. When I find this temple I'll come back for you."

Done with his socializing, Vindariel started out to search for the radishes.

Spoiler
    Show

Yes, I still intend to follow the charta and map sector by sector, starting with the one to the south
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-10-28 at 05:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

It takes some time, but you eventually locate it. The patch is in a clearing in the eastern edge of the forest, right where it begins to blend into the plains.

The ground is muddy and pitted, lacking the brush or grass common to the forest or neighboring plains. The few green sprigs you can see are likely the turnips you're looking for, but you can't help but think the clearing looks more like a giant garden than a true part of the wild.

And if the clearing is a garden, then the four black scaled kobolds lounging in the center must be the gardeners. They certainly look the part, with three baskets heaped with the roots. It seems as if they stuffed their stomachs, also.

The reptilian people haven't noticed you yet, though you'll have to move deep into the clearing to harvest enough of the plants.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-10-28 at 06:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel watches for a moment and then decides this is the ideal time to test his new ability to influence minds.
    With a bit of concentration he transforms himself into a small kobold - or at least he looks like one - changing size and appearance while dismissing his armor.
    At ten paces he tries to create an emphatic connection to one of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Dismissing astral armor
    minor metamorphosis: +10 to disguise check to look like another black scaled kobold.
    (1d20)[1]+10
    Getting closer to use Emphatic Connection on one after the other - provided they don't attack immediately

Will Save DC 14

Psi reserves: 13/18 (provided I get the chance to target them all)
    If they go into combat they gain +5 to resist the spell.

"Greetings my friends. I'd like to buy some of your radishes."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Will save
    Show
    (1d20-1)[12]

The kobolds are on edge, but not immediately hostile. They yip to each other, confused. The kobold you charmed seems less aggressive than the other, but it seems he can't understand you either. It's clear that none of them recognize you, meaning they were just approached by a random kobold speaking a language most of them didn't understand. Finally, one of the group steps forward and addresses you in broken common.

"Who is? Nevah saw."
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-10-29 at 12:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

"I am Vindariel. I came here from far away."
    Vindariel roots around in his oversized back pack and pulls out a bottle of the alcohol he found:
    "Here, good fire water. I trade you for radish"

Spoiler
    Show

diplomacy check: (1d20)[15]+1

"I hear you have trouble - what caused it?"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

The lead kobold unstops the bottle and samples the alcohol. They chitter amongst themselves, and the bottle is passed around. Though their weapons are still close at hand, most of the group seems more at ease now, with the exception of the one who speaks common who eyes you suspiciously.

"This one is Mikmek." He says tis while patting his scaled chest. "Vindariel know a Tartuk? Is frien' a Tartuk?"

Show
    Could you give me a sense motive to read his body language?

Spoiler: DC 15 Sense Motive
    Show
    You notice Mikmek tenses up when he talks about Tartuk, leading you to believe he either doesn't like him, or is afraid of him.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

"Hello Mikmek.
    No, who is Tartuk?"

Vindariel replied, staying at ease and not making any hasty movements.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive:
    (1d20)[9]+3

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Mikmek chirps happily, his tail wagging.

"Tartuk be da speakah af Ol' Sharptooth, but dossen madder. How many chu want fo' da boddle?"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

"One basket, one bottle. Another basket, another bottle."
    Vindariel answered. He wants to ask more about Tartuk but the Kobold is twitchy. Producing another bottle from his backpack he says:
    "I heard humans talk. Talk about Soothscales. Worried that you have trouble.
    If you want, can help you make trouble go away."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wha? No problems! E'erthin good." He chirps and growls something to his peers, and they're soon nodding in agreement. "Only fight with mite. But dey small and stupid. Sootscale win war soon." He also informs you that the group is expected to bring back enough for the rest of the tribe, and can only part with a single basket. Still, the baskets are larger than they are and heaped full. You expect one to be enough.
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-10-29 at 06:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel nodded and took possession of one of the baskets. This was the second time those mites seemed to make trouble - having Oleg's ring and being the reason for the kobolds unrest was reason enough to take care of them...

When he is out of sight, he resumes his normal form recalls his armor and rides back to Oleg's post to deliver the radishes.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Svetlana is happy to see you return with the radishes and thanks you profusely. After giving you the 250gp reward, she sees to washing and cutting the roots in preparation for cooking.

Show
    You get 400xp for resolving things peacefully with the kobolds, and the standard 100xp for exploring the hex.

Terrain: Forest
    Features: Radish Patch

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel happily awaits the food, while he plans his next move.
    After the meal he thanks Svetlana again and prepares for a rest.

Early the next morning he saddles his horse again rides off to quadrant to the south-east of Oleg's trading post, looking especially for the mites' hiding place.

Spoiler
    Show

Continuing the exploration next to the radish patch

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

You definitely find something as you search the plains. You come across a fair sized area, about 200 feet in diameter, strewn with bones from both man and beast alike. As of now, you are a few yards away from the boneyard. What do you do?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel surveyed the seemingly circular area of bleached bones. It very much reminded him of a cursed place near a lake in a valley, where suddenly everyone had died in their sleep. Still, this seemed worthy of a closer look. And the cause was most likely to be found at the center.

Careful to keep his horse outside the radius, he gets down, draws his sword and in the Waltzing Crane Stance, moves step by step toward the center, ready to strike at anything that gets close to him.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving in 5ft. step increments while readying a charge action

Perception check by me and my crystal:
    (1d20)[20]+6 (crystal)
    (1d20)[19]+3 (Vindariel)

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Stealth (1d20+11)[19]
    Initiative (1d20+2)[4]

Keenly aware of your surroundings, you notice the beast responsible for this. A giant trapdoor spider currently hiding in its den, door slightly afay allowing its eight eyes to peer out at you. Roll initiative!
    Last edited by Eonn; 2017-10-31 at 11:03 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Winning Ini by virtue of having a higher bonus:
    (1d20)[13]+7

Charging the spider, while blowing my arsenal of PoW strikes:
    Silver Strike
    (1d20)[13]+10
    (1d20)[7]+10
    Damage: (2d6)[3]+13
    + Minute Hand Swift Attack at -2
    (1d20)[1]+8
    Damage: (2d6)[9]+13

Vindariel doesn't waste a second - as soon as he spies the overlarge vermin he charges in to strike it with a fusillade of steel

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

You are able to stab your weapon through the narrow crack between the ground and the spider's door, wounding the insect. This doesn't please the spider, and a bug the size of a horse leaps from its nest to attack.

Show
    attack: (1d20+6)[24]
    damage (1d8+6)[14]

Make a fortitude save if it hits.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ouch, that was a mean hit
    Fortitude save (1d20)[11]+6
    12 damage after damage resistance

The counter attack took him by surprise and he felt the fangs of the spider sink deep into his sides.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2017-11-01 at 05:06 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

There was little to it. Another hit like that might kill him.
    Vindariel let his sword come down with a much force as he could while also infusing it with a sliver of silver power to transfer a bit of life energy back from his foe into his own body.

Spoiler
    Show

Enduring Crane Strike with Power attack:

(1d20)[17]+7 damage (2d6)[8]+13

If hit, heal (1d6)[4]+3 damage

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Your strike cleaves the giant spider's head clean off, ending it. Though its mandible dripped with venom, you count yourself luck that you seem to have dodged the effects.

Show
    You gain +800xp for slaying the spider. Additionally, you can now finish exploring the hex without worrying about anything else trying to eat you.

Terrain: Plains
    Features: Spider Nest

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Vindariel covers the wound and counts his blessings. This was entirely to close for his taste.
    He feels lucky that there isn't another spider around. The appetite of this beast alone seems to be enough to depopulate this whole quadrant.
    Carefully he opens the spider's lair, looking for any remaining eggs that could multiply the spider problem - and also for any other victims the spider might have caught alive for its larder...

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

The spider's lair is a shaft 50' deep and 1' in diameter, but thick webbing along the walls would make for an easy climb. You see no eggs, and definatly no second spider, though there is something at the bottom of the nest.

Show
    If you want to climb down and search the nest, roll perception for me.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Perception
    Crystal: (1d20)[9]+6
    Vindariel: (1d20)[17]+3

Peering into the darkness, Vindariel concentrates on his armor. The translucent visor adapts to the light and shows him a clear picture of the spider's nest.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

At the bottom of the nest lies a small pile of corpses, the spider's recent meals. One, a bandit, still wears a silver stag necklace which sparkles faintly from the few rogue rays of light which make it down into the nest.