New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default South Park: The fractured but whole

Anyone played it? I am watching a Let's Play of it. So if the gameplay is as lackluster as Stick of Truth, I will probably not pick it up full price. So my question: How does the GAMEPLAY hold up? Is it fun?

'Member when gameplay was not just quick time events?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: South Park: The fractured but whole

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Anyone played it? I am watching a Let's Play of it. So if the gameplay is as lackluster as Stick of Truth, I will probably not pick it up full price. So my question: How does the GAMEPLAY hold up? Is it fun?

'Member when gameplay was not just quick time events?
    Honestly the quick time events were the only thing that made the combat bearable in the first one.

I don’t know who thought picking moves from a list is engaging, but they were wrong. Even stranger, I don’t understand how that set up is still going strong.

In any case there is slightly more complexity in the games combat with the grid set up to the combat. But the QTEs are still there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I think at least in South Park's case the "pick moves from a list" turn-based combat is entirely nostalgia for the pre-XII Final Fantasy games and their contemporaries. I don't mind it because we're also dealing with a game where all they characters intentionally look like they were made from construction paper cutouts.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

The combat made me give up on the first one less than an hour in and from everything I'm seeing in this one, it doesn't look any better.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

I mean, it's JRPG combat. Some folks really go in for that. Me, I tolerated it early in my gaming career when it was the only option for great narrative games, but now that gaming as a whole has moved on to superior combat modes I don't see a need to stick with menu-based myself.

About the only recent game with it that I've found engaging is Undertale, and even they were smart enough to include elements of bullet hell and rhythm games too to spice things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I haven't played it yet, but what I've seen is hilarious.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

As someone who normally hates turn based combat, I actually really enjoyed fractured but whole. I played through the game in one weekend and had a blast.

The grid is a bit more interesting than stick of truth, you can mix and match abilities from different classes, and there are a few more fun things with combat, such as a real time countdown in some fights that will usually involve super moves going off so you have to time the turns your on to hopefully have the timer be to your advantage. You get a few abilities that can be used regardless of who's turn it is (but with a 3-turn cooldown) and a few other interesting tricks to some fights such as avoiding getting caught by specific enemies or just fighting your way through a horde to a finish line type of thing.

The game is a bit buggy but not gamebreaking. There were a few times when I beat all enemies in a fight but it lagged to actually tick over into victory. In the final battle everything just stopped after I beat it with my team just standing around with no enemies to fight, causing me to have to redo the fight. Also, its south park, if you enjoy the series already the game is hilarious.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)