New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th edition!

1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 4th edition!

Sorry, but I can't seem to edit the Wiki article, and I do not desire an account. A minor modification
    On August 15, 2007 Wizards of the Coast had created a count down page for a product called 4dventure, suspending all other Dungeons & Dragons articles on their site in place of the countdown. IVC2 announced on August 16, 2007 that this was the announcement of Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition. The article stated that core books will be released in monthly installments, same as third edition: In May, 2008 the Player's Handbook will be released, in June the Dungeon's Master's Guide, and in July the Monster Manual.
    Edited for grammatical correctness.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Orc in the Playground

Huh. I sold all my 3.5 gear yesterday not knowing about this. Probably at a slightly higher price than I'd get now, knowing that this is happening.

Neat.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ok, one thing that bugs me: How come, whenever they release a new edition, they release one core book a month for the first three months? If you really need the three core books to play (and I think at least the DM does) why is there a period of two months when a new edition is "out" but also unplayable?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nota Biene View Post
    Ok, one thing that bugs me: How come, whenever they release a new edition, they release one core book a month for the first three months? If you really need the three core books to play (and I think at least the DM does) why is there a period of two months when a new edition is "out" but also unplayable?
    Further evidence that 4e will be compatible with 3.5 in at least some regard.

5. - Top - End - #305

Time to digest the material? Never bit off more than you can chew...
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

Honestly, does the DMG or MM contains something you simply must have to play?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Like WBL guidelines and CR calculators? That's for DMG, I agree that MM isn't all that necessary.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-08-16 at 12:57 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

They may do it this way to avoid swamping the printers. One at a time, they can probably ensure that enough will be printed to make sure that there are no FGS who have to put out a "Sold out of 4ed" sign up.
    MudBunny

My PM box is open for questions for the Relationship Woes and Advice thread, whether you want a private answer, or want me to post it anonymously to the thread.

9. - Top - End - #309

Logistics

Imagine how many books they have to print. Now realize that the Player's Handbook will be the book MOST obtained by players.

They run their printers for the PHB4.0 for a month, getting out as many copies as they can. Based on demand, they know how many printers they will need for the MM4.0 and start running a few printers for the PHB4.0, and running the majority for the MM4.0. Then they do the same for the DMG4.0 for as long as it takes to reasonably meet demand.

So on, so forth.
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

10. - Top - End - #310

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Paladin View Post
    Well, if nothing else, you need monsters from the MM, or spend forever adapting 3.5 ones based on a system that you aren't familiar with. And you need the treasure tables from the DMG, though you could probably adapt those from old editions. And if you are going to do anything more advanced than standard combat or sitting in a tavern, you should have the DMG because you need the environmental rules. But, most importantly, you need the XP tables from the DMG, because without them, you're stuck at level one till the next book is released.

Edit: good point fixer, in the stereotypical five person group (blaster, healbot, meatshield, skill monkey, DM), you have five times the number of PHBs than DMGs+MMs. Printing the PHB well in advance of the others is just logical.
    Last edited by bugsysservant; 2007-08-16 at 01:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

They did this with 3.0 as well. The main reason, I figure, is that people don't have to shell out 90-120 bucks at one time. If you look at the original 3.0 PHB, you would see some minor rules for DMing and Monsters in the back of the book. That way people could get some mini-adventure games going while they waited for the other two core books.

But really, WotC is damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they release them all at once (like they did for 3.5 - which being an "upgrade" they could get away with) they get cries of "I can't afford to buy these all at once!1! You suck, WotC." If they stagger the release for people who are on a budget, you get the cries of "What?1? I have to wait three months before I can play the game!1! You suck, WotC."

This is the peril of spreading your content over 3-7 books. Of course the alternative is having a 750 page behemoth of a book, so some compromises are to be expected.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-08-16 at 01:12 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #312

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bugsysservant View Post
    Well, if nothing else, you need monsters from the MM, or spend forever adapting 3.5 ones based on a system that you aren't familiar with. And you need the treasure tables from the DMG, though you could probably adapt those from old editions. And if you are going to do anything more advanced than standard combat or sitting in a tavern, you should have the DMG because you need the environmental rules. But, most importantly, you need the XP tables from the DMG, because without them, you're stuck at level one till the next book is released.
    Assuming the PHB is the first book released, I think 4e would be playable right then. Lots of DMs, myself included, don't really use the treasure tables or experience tables at all. I give my players loot that I think is appropriate for them, and every once in a while I tell them that they've leveled up. (Of course, if anyone did item crafting I'd have to start keeping track).

Early indications are that D&D 4.0 will be very similar to 3.5, perhaps as similar as 3.5 is to 3.0 although probably not as much. It shouldn't be disastrous to use 3.0 or 3.5 monsters against 4.0 PCs, or to use the same basic DMG rules; keep in mind that most combat rules are in the PHB, so you'll have those right away. If nothing else, playing like this will give you a good test-run of 4.0 characters before the full game comes out. Also, for anyone who homebrews/houserules a lot, big parts of the DMG/MM are already obsolete.

Edit: good point fixer, in the stereotypical five person group (blaster, healbot, meatshield, skill monkey, DM), you have five times the number of PHBs than DMGs+MMs. Printing the PHB well in advance of the others is just logical.
    I've never been in a group where everyone had a PHB; the most PHBs there have ever been was 3, in a group with 6 PCs and a DM. I'd say that in general, half of players have a PHB and the DM has all three core.

Edit: forgot to mention, if you only use enemies with class levels, you don't need the MM at all

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Like WBL guidelines and CR calculators? That's for DMG, I agree that MM isn't all that necessary.
    Never used either in the 6 years I am running 3.X

I also always write up my monsters/magic items myself unless they're already very well written, like Vorpal's stuff.

And the formula to calculate EXP to level is very simple and rather easy to learn by heart.

14. - Top - End - #314

HalfOrcPirate

wink Re: 4th edition!

So they are including the ToB as Core, if that means that the Fighter starts to have maneuvers and stances then I am worry/excited. Fighters and other melee classes are usually the basic first time player characters, as they have the least special features and most direct game play (ala roll... hit... damage).

With stances and maneuvers introduced, that simple game play becomes much more challenging. That will make it harder for new players, but also make the melee characters more fun to play for experienced players.

I also hope they work on the Multi-classing system some. I play in a high power group and I am tired of seeing so many 1-2 level dips and such.

15. - Top - End - #315

MindFlayer

Never used either in the 6 years I am running 3.X

I also always write up my monsters/magic items myself unless they're already very well written, like Vorpal's stuff.

And the formula to calculate EXP to level is very simple and rather easy to learn by heart.
    Yeah, but its highly probable that it will change between versions. I could get by with no books, just using the SRD, but the books must first be published for that to happen.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Another thought: With the Dungeons and Dragons Insider Experience coming online, there may very well be DMG/MM style content in it for people to play 4E games while they wait for the other two books to come down the pike. At the very least it would be a good hook/incentive for gamers to give it a look while they wait for the MM and DMG to be printed.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

But you've got to learn them from somewhere, right? Not to mention that in 4ed both WBL and XP will likely be very different.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-08-16 at 01:17 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

18. - Top - End - #318

Changes in EXP only matter if your use CR, which I don't

M0rt: Learned them in 3.0, never used Wealth By Level as I do not let my players simply buy magic items . . . honestly all these things seem to me like tools for lazy/newbie DMs.
    Last edited by Grey Paladin; 2007-08-16 at 01:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Changes in EXP only matter if your use CR, which I don't
    So I take it you send monsters after players and see if they get splattered across the wall or not?

M0rt: Learned them in 3.0
    Alright, so you didn't have to buy 3.5 DMG. But 4ed is likely to have entirely different system.

never used Wealth By Level as I do not let my players simply buy magic items . . . honestly all these things seem to me like tools for lazy/newbie DMs.
    I'm not all too fond of WBL or buying magic items but those things have their place in D&D. Plus, even if those things are for newbie DMs, every DM starts as newbie.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-08-16 at 01:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bugsysservant View Post
    Yeah, but its highly probable that it will change between versions. I could get by with no books, just using the SRD, but the books must first be published for that to happen.
    And you have to wait for the SRD to be published as well. I "fondly" recall the griping of "So... When exactly is the SRD going to be posted online" back when 3.0 was first introduced. Those of you expecting the new SRD to be put up online somewhere on May 2008 should prepare to be disappointed.

Oh sure, it could be posted immediately. But I wouldn't bet on it.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-08-16 at 01:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

I just hope that 4.0 is not an "upgrade" in the same way that Vista was an "upgrade."

22. - Top - End - #322

IIRC the first print run of the 3.0 PHB had a DMG/MM preview-guide-thing at the back, that detailed monster stat blocks, XP tables, and magic items that would be reasonable loot for a low-level party. Hopefully they'll do that again, so that its *not* unplayable. They didn't need to do it for 3.5 since it was manageable using the 3.0 DMG/MM until they came out.
    Last edited by yango; 2007-08-16 at 01:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    Assuming the PHB is the first book released, I think 4e would be playable right then. Lots of DMs, myself included, don't really use the treasure tables or experience tables at all. I give my players loot that I think is appropriate for them, and every once in a while I tell them that they've leveled up. (Of course, if anyone did item crafting I'd have to start keeping track).

Early indications are that D&D 4.0 will be very similar to 3.5, perhaps as similar as 3.5 is to 3.0 although probably not as much. It shouldn't be disastrous to use 3.0 or 3.5 monsters against 4.0 PCs, or to use the same basic DMG rules; keep in mind that most combat rules are in the PHB, so you'll have those right away. If nothing else, playing like this will give you a good test-run of 4.0 characters before the full game comes out. Also, for anyone who homebrews/houserules a lot, big parts of the DMG/MM are already obsolete.
    Yeah, but if you already have established houserules/homebrews that eliminate the majority of the DMG/MM, why would you buy the new version to begin with .
    From my experience, people generally only houserule when they see that something is wrong, not preemptively. And homebrewing well balanced encounters/items can be time consuming or unbalanced. As for 3.5 being that similar to 4.0, I think that they would add superficial changes just to prevent that. On the order of screwing with the XP levels and gains so that it is inherently the same, but looks like they did some major analysis overhaul. Easier than playtesting, no?

24. - Top - End - #324

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    So I take it you send monsters after players and see if they get splattered across the wall or not?

Alright, so you didn't have to buy 3.5 DMG. But 4ed is likely to have entirely different system.

I'm not all too fond of WBL or buying magic items but those things have their place in D&D. Plus, even if those things are for newbie DMs, every DM starts as newbie.
    Believe it or not, I look at the monster, compare it to the PCs, and make an educated guess based on experience, (And when I did not have the experience of a veteran DM, then yes, I did exactly that )

Never followed the CR system, and I hardly use MM monsters, so them method of EXP calculations matters little

True, all I am saying is that it is theoretically possible to play with only the Player's Handbook
    Last edited by Grey Paladin; 2007-08-16 at 01:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

August 16th 2007
    6:30 Sagamore Ballroom, Indianapolis Convention Center
    hmm...

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Here is a question. If the core books are coming out May-July, when is the new SRD coming out?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #327

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Another thought: With the Dungeons and Dragons Insider Experience coming online, there may very well be DMG/MM style content in it for people to play 4E games while they wait for the other two books to come down the pike. At the very least it would be a good hook/incentive for gamers to give it a look while they wait for the MM and DMG to be printed.
    When they originally published 3.0, there were some monsters in the back of the book for those players who wanted to immediately play. I don't recall if they had much in the way of XP tables but I expect they added those in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DnDestruction View Post
    I just hope that 4.0 is not an "upgrade" in the same way that Vista was an "upgrade."
    I rather like Vista compared to XP. Not enough to go out and buy it but since it came with my new PC anyway I am not complaining. (Although I would like better access to the Security table...)
    The easy I do before breakfast,
    The difficult I do all day long,
    The impossible achieved during the workweek,
    Miracles performed when possible.
    People call me the Fixer,
    and I am here to help you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fixer's Guide to Neutrality
    Fixer's Fighter Fix
    (Campaign) Characters:
    Searching For... Goldenrod
    Survival... Gelder

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I the only person who really doesn't mind that 4th edition could be released soon? :3

Maybe it's because the only books I actually own anymore are the core 3e books, not even 3.5e. I've just been making do with borrowed books from friends and the SRD.

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

29. - Top - End - #329
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Here is a question. If the core books are coming out May-July, when is the new SRD coming out?
    Long enough after release to make sure that everybody buys the books. Best guess? 2009.. or thereabouts.

@ Saithis

Nah, I am kind getting excited a little. I just hope it's New and Improved, not just 3.75.
    Last edited by rollfrenzy; 2007-08-16 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    "Hands in, lets-all-be-heroes on three."

After a long break, I am back and forget who was nice enough to create the zombie ninja avatar for me. If you did it, or know who did, PM me so I can give proper credit.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Believe it or not, I look at the monster, compare it to the PCs, and make an educated guess based on experience, (And when I did not have the experience of a veteran DM, then yes, I did exactly that )
    Hm. Fair enough, but I belive CR is great help for measuring monsters' strenght so they don't get massacred but don't massacre PCs either.

Never followed the CR system, and I hardly use MM monsters, so them method of EXP calculations matters little
    True, all I am saying is that it is theoretically possible to play with only the Player's Handbook[/QUOTE]

Theoretically, yes. But most of the time, it's easier to play with CR, EXP calculators, etc. for new players and DMs.