New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default How would you rule on...

How would you rule on a daylight spell covered by a fog cloud? Enough light escapes to illuminate beyond the cloud? Any diminution of the light?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How would you rule on...

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    How would you rule on a daylight spell covered by a fog cloud? Enough light escapes to illuminate beyond the cloud? Any diminution of the light?
    Fog Cloud obscures the area but it doesn't create darkness or smother light. So daylight should radiate through it. Unless someone wants to make the argument that a cloudy day is just as dark as midnight. But there are no actual rules to cover this kind of thing. By RAW it'd function normally, though the area of the fog cloud would remain obscured.

I would personally rule to halve the area of the daylight halved if its source is within the fog cloud. A cloudy day isn't as bright as a sunny day.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2017-10-17 at 06:25 PM.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

This was my problem. Either extreme was obviously wrong. Anything in the middle seemed pretty arbitrary as to where the boundaries got placed.

I was thinking to ignore the bright light and just have the radius of dim light immediately next to the source.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sometimes too bright of lights in the fog, especially aimed the wrong way, bounce back at you when driving and limit vision. So I could see being at the source of a ridiculous point of light in fog and being almost blinded by its reflection back at you. Or at least be concerned about the possibility.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

i would rule the daylight spell works as normal..

the fog cloud would also work as normal, but with this small change..

the fog cloud illuminates like a golden mist from celestia, figures inside cast huge shadows outside of the cloud..

add some thaumaturgy for AWESOME intimidation checks..